Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: that was hands down theworst display of EDM ever.....

Default Re: that was hands down theworst display of EDM ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1492 View Post
    GV is so far away from putting together a decent dance lineup. They'll probably never get there.
    Holy hyperbole, batman. 2012 is the only year I can think of where the dance line-up wasn't "decent." Then again, you're probably way more invested in EDM than I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Holy hyperbole, batman. 2012 is the only year I can think of where the dance line-up wasn't "decent." Then again, you're probably way more invested in EDM than I am.
    Probably a safe bet. And yeah, been quite some time since the Sahara wasn't filled w/ mostly guff. Some years the guff is less offensive than others but it's guff all the same. GV has booked a few good-great acts here and there in recent years but on the whole the dance lineup is reliably meh. And that's fine. I made peace w/ that long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I'm hoping for the electronic polka revival movement to really pick up steam.

I'm in...
    Originally Posted by Lotus
    What is lulz?? Lol!

Probably a safe bet. And yeah, been quite some time since the Sahara wasn't filled w/ mostly guff. Some years the guff is less offensive than others but it's guff all the same. GV has booked a few good-great acts here and there in recent years but on the whole the dance lineup is reliably meh. And that's fine. I made peace w/ that long ago.
    I try to have a "take the bad with the good" kind of attitude regarding certain facets of life (music festivals especially). Unfortunately, there really wasn't any "good to take" edm wise in 2012. I gave GV the benefit of the doubt after the clusterfuck of 2010... they more or less fixed everything so I think (hope) the dance line-up will improve in 2013.

I completely agree w/ you. I expect them to return to form in 2013 and give us 3-4 good-great acts. I only hope that those acts are genuinely interesting. I enjoy Hawtin and the like as much as the next guy, but he doesn't fit that bill. I'd like to see GV take some real risk.

I completely agree w/ you. I expect them to return to form in 2013 and give us 3-4 good-great acts. I only hope that those acts are genuinely interesting. I enjoy Hawtin and the like as much as the next guy, but he doesn't fit that bill. I'd like to see GV take some real risk.
    Agreed. The Chemical Brothers are probably my favorite EDM act ever... but Jesus. Let's get some "fresh" faces in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Let's get some "fresh" faces in there.
    I thought Madeon performed up to par, and he is as fresh as they come.

Just like when I walked out of the Hollywood Bowl and said that the Chems will be at Coachella in 9 months they were, expect Hawtin and his Enter show next year!

Oh and Skip said Daft Punk was offered a spot this year, but are more likely to accept the invitation next year given we get an album or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm the number one Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by Monko762 View Post
    No.

I was more so referring to older acts that haven't played Coachella in quite sometime (The Prodigy, Basement Jaxx, Underworld, etc.). That's why I put "fresh" in quotation marks.

Very Sneaky MR SHACKLEFORD!
    I'm the number one Jedi.

just read this entire thread and I feel like everyone here can relate to the words of Noel Gallagher

Its a great interview but I think he makes a great point from 4:00-5:45. I see the parallels with what your all saying and what he says. GV and the whole music industry is now catering to the demands of the masses rather than telling us what to listen to. For the sahara, GV no longer says hey your going to listen to ghostland observatory, the presets, richie hawtin, orbital, groove armada, squarepusher, aphex twin, prodigy, sven vath, plump djs, etc etc etc. Now we, the collective we are telling gv that we want bangers and we want songs with drops. Thats what the consumer is demanding because the consumer is a fucking idiot. We on the board were lucky enough to come to coachella pre 2010 where gv showed us exactly what good edm music is. I for one in 2009 didnt know what i truly demanded in edm until i came to coachella and fell in love with it.

whiney pain in butt

This just in: Goldenvoice is not going to be doing anything different for next year, even if you started a thread about it.

/shocking, I know.

Zedd and Flux back to back was really amazing. I wanted to watch Porter Robinson Dada Life and Nero but the UV index was off the charts!!! Seriously couldn't handle it.

That said, sunday was a beautiful day of coachella that really saved the festival for me. I was one of the ppl that hated on dre and snoop headlining because quite frankly i was a dumbass that needed gv to slap me across the face and say hey your going to watch this set and like it, which i consequently did.

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    This just in: Goldenvoice is not going to be doing anything different for next year, even if you started a thread about it.

/shocking, I know.
    You're such an insufferable twat. GV is a company that listens to its consumers (the changes made after Clusterfuckchella 2010 proves that). Nothing is certain, but don't act like it's impossible for Coachella to make improvements.

I'm not a huge fan of Noel Gallagher, but what he said was pretty fucking spot on. I really do hope some musical acts pop up again in the next year that will give the people a new direction to consider, rather than keep up with whats hot - which is just basically club crap.

We may luck out next year; '11 was the year of the dubstep take over, and this year was the awfulness of cheese house. Rock fans have been getting some good love the last few Coachellas, there has been some rock that was great that I saw the past two years. Now for the EDM nuts, we can only hope something new and impressive slaps us all in the face over the next 10 months in hopes of bringing it to the Polo fields. One cheese house DJ surprised me by playing Windowlicker, so there is hope yet for a better future of the Sahara.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    full disclosure- I was not at coachella. But what I saw of beats antique boring as fuck.
    What I heard and saw of Beats Antique was the opposite of "boring as fuck". In fact they were one of the best acts I saw all weekend. I hope you die from a massive hurricane of cocks.

"Winds were at an estimated 90mph, when the victim was bludgeoned to death by several detached male genitalia flying in the high speed winds. He leaves behind a dog named Skippy."

Noel can take is Quarter million pounds and suck my dick. That shit is an investment into getting people out to your LIVE show. Fucking dildo uses his live show to promote his album, that is what is ruining music!

An album should be created to promote the tour! Any fuckwad can cut an album and make a million, it takes a REAL artist to tour a solid live show. Plus touring is REAL work that redistributes the wealth(without being a raging liberal) to thousands more people than just the record company and the artist! This fucking pussy is complaining to OBAMA because he has to spend money on people WHO ACTUALLY FUCKING EARN IT. Booohoo ur on tour for a year and you make tons of money playing music and bringing happiness to people.

SORRY NOEL MUSIC IS FOR LOVERS NOT FOR MONEY GRUBBING PIECES OF SHIT LIKE YOU!

OASIS FUCKING SUCKED TOO!!
    I'm the number one Jedi.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    What I heard and saw of Beats Antique was the opposite of "boring as fuck". In fact they were one of the best acts I saw all weekend. I hope you die from a massive hurricane of cocks.
    But faxman, even you can admit that you have horrible taste in EDM. Beats Antique are objectively mind numbingly boring.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

from what i saw-

the great: nero, breakbot, flying lotus
    the decent: jacques lu cont
    the awful: justice, SHM (both prerecorded), most likely the rest of the sahara

I'm not saying they don't listen to complaints but the changes they made after the clusterfuck of 2010--and I give full credit to GV for completely fixing everything I thought was fucked up that year--were just as much due to "Yo, 15k people got into our festival without paying" as much as our complaints about it.

Right. I'm sure they were upset that they were so many gate crashers in 2010. However, they could have easily just beefed up security to solve that problem and not extend the grounds and make the tents bigger.

An album should be created to promote the tour!
    that's how it used to be. USED to be. not anymore, so what's wrong with him being honest? all bands now go on tour to sell albums. it is the state the music industry is in.

The Sahara crowd was trash this year and the DJs were fucking jokes.

Friday
    Breakbot - Not at all what I was expecting, in a good way. I loved the disco-ish funk his set had.
    Didn't bother going back there the rest of the day because no one else was worth seeing.

Saturday
    Caught some of Zeds Dead, left early because I got bored.
    David Guetta - Went to check this out to get our dance on between FlyLo and SBTRKT, it was fucking garbage. The first glimpse I caught of Guetta he had already had his hands in the air, it was hilarious.
    That's all I did on saturday in the Sahara.

Sunday
    Porter Robinson = Bro fest. What the hell was that show? He opened with "say my name" and dropped a giant curtain to reveal himself and giant flashing lights of his initials? Who the fuck does this kid think he is? Left before the first song was over.
    Calvin Harris - Got close, heard the music from outside, saw the crowd, turned around and walked over to check out Minnesota at the Do-Lab.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrcandyman View Post
    Got close, heard the music from outside, saw the crowd, turned around and walked over to check out...the Do-Lab.
    This helped put me in a good mood every time I walked away from the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    that's how it used to be. USED to be. not anymore, so what's wrong with him being honest? all bands now go on tour to sell albums. it is the state the music industry is in.
    Music should be about expressing view/opinions/feelings, not making money. Albums should be free! Charging money for the album should only be a way of recouping recording costs, NOT MAKING MONEY!

Seriously, pretentious douche bags like Noel feel that there recordings are worth millions! Fuck that! No recording is worth millions. Recordings are living in the past, a fantasy world, in which Britney Spears made fucking MILLIONS!

At least when Britney went on tour there were thousands of people making money on all the logistics and just EVERYTHING that goes into a tour, not to mention the vendors. This is the world I would like to live in. A world where everybody is making money, and people don't buy 3 or 4 20 dollar albums in a month but save that 60 bux and

GO SEE SOME LIVE MUSIC!
    I'm the number one Jedi.

thats like saying pharmaceutical drugs should be free because humans have the right to free healthcare and we are entitled to free drugs. In a ideal world i'd agree but come down to fucking reality. Noel invests his own $$$ in his recordings to receive nothing back. Would you put out records if only to lose money? It'd probably piss you off too. That said, like you mentioned you can still make money in today's music industry, you just have to change your business model. But today's business model is the exact reason why we are getting afroguettaingrossavicci sahara acts. Everyone caters to the consumer, the consumer has the final say yet the consumer is a fucktard. So if your for the current model than please don't bitch about the way music is going.

Music should be about expressing view/opinions/feelings, not making money. Albums should be free! Charging money for the album should only be a way of recouping recording costs, NOT MAKING MONEY!

Seriously, pretentious douche bags like Noel feel that there recordings are worth millions! Fuck that! No recording is worth millions. Recordings are living in the past, a fantasy world, in which Britney Spears made fucking MILLIONS!

At least when Britney went on tour there were thousands of people making money on all the logistics and just EVERYTHING that goes into a tour, not to mention the vendors. This is the world I would like to live in. A world where everybody is making money, and people don't buy 3 or 4 20 dollar albums in a month but save that 60 bux and

GO SEE SOME LIVE MUSIC!
    Please, stop posting.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

GO SEE SOME LIVE MUSIC!
    Holy shit this guy is fucking dense. An artist shouldn't be paid for their art? Then how does an artist sustain themselves?

Fucking derp and a half over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm