Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: that was hands down theworst display of EDM ever.....

Default that was hands down theworst display of EDM ever.....

Sahara, along with the SHM, should be blown up completely for a re-boot

hopefully GV and Paul understand what went wrong with the bookings selections and will find their way home next year....

at least one can they do...

Default Re: that was hands down theworst display of EDM ever.....

You musta missed the guest appearance by mimosa at the do lab before kraddy.

You must have missed beats antique, sbtrkt and shadow too.

Good job keepin all the geeks out of the good shows and hiding the true talent in other areas than the Sahara, Coachella

not to mention Amon Tobin, who (while not dancey) was excellent.

And, honestly, the four acts I saw in the Sahara - Alesso, Sebastian, Avicii, and Zedd - were a lot of fun, although Zedd was (as he is) inconsistent.

I have never spent less time in the Sahara in my life

Disappointed for missing Noisia, I heard they threw down. Fuck GV for giving them the shaft and putting idiots like Alesso in good slots.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

cheese head

i agree very boring Sahara. Dadalife took the worst edm of the year for me wow they suck.

Breakbot was the best act...and the first I saw the whole weekend. Did you see his special stage setup? A fucking table skirt on a fold out table!

The Sahara tent turns into a scene from the video game "Resident Evil" at about 9 pm - onward. Zombies everywhere.

Feed Me and Madeon were great. Nero was great, but they played the exact identical show as the Fonda show last October. Calvin was fun. But none of that was as good as Flying Lotus or Modeselektor who threw it down with fury. Oh and Machinedrum smashed it.

So yeah I guess the Sahara was subpar this year.

Sahara truly did blow this year. But Flying Lotus, SBTRKT, DJ Shadow, Sub Focus were all great and people told me Modeselektor was dope as well.

There were some fun shows earlier in the day (zeds dead, breakbot, feed me, noisia) but i never set foot in the sahara after dark this year. If you've seen one of those crappy electrohouse djs you've seen them all
    5/17 Chet Faker
    5/25 EDC NY (2manydjs!!!!)
    7/18-7/20 Melt Festival

wow everynoe liked Fly Lo? I thought it was some of the worst electronic music ive ever heard. guy was just up there playing shitty old rap songs noone cares about anymore, there was no bass whatsoever in gobi etc so i bounced after 10 minutes even though i was super excited to see him. For me, Nero, Sub Focus, Shadow, and justice were fun, but you are right sahara blew

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoronas View Post

hopefully GV and Paul understand what went wrong with the bookings selections and will find their way home next year....

This is an astute observation for you to make...after the festival has already happened.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoronas View Post

I have to try and defend GV here, at least for the edm live acts because they were lacking.

Daft Punk = working on an album and not touring anywhere right now.
    Underworld = working on the London 2012 Olympics soundtrack.
    Faithless = retired.
    The Chemical Brothers = played last year, although they had a short set.
    Orbital = a possibility but they played the Sahara 2 years ago.
    Crystal Method = they're just mimes anyway.

On the DJ side, they certainly went for the popular/billboard names. There was so little variety in the Sahara and the best DJs were scattered someplace else.

Just curious about something...I didn't see Swedish House Mafia but I did go with some friend to see Sebastian Ingrosso. Was it more or less the same set? That's what I've been hearing.

Cured, i've been hearing the same thing (and had the same experience - I saw part of Sebastian Ingrosso and none of SHM).

Umm what about Modeselektor?! They were freaking amazing and they were by far one of my favorite sets of the weekend! I danced so hard.
    Reggae on the River 2010 - Coachella 2011 - Railroad Revival Tour 2011 - Explosions In The Sky 2011 - HARD Summer 2011 - Outside Lands 2011

I mean, yeah, the dance lineup was terrible. I walked into Alesso and within the first four tracks I heard Gotye into LEVE7S into "One More Time" which was like a cheese overload. Apparently this was a common thing over the weekend but I didn't spend enough time in there to figure that out.

On the other hand though, GV knows what they're doing. It's not like they're accidentally booking all of these cheesy bro-house acts; this is deliberate and I don't think it's going to change. I honestly have accepted the fact that I am too old for the Sahara tent and that if I want to see quality electronic acts in a big setting like that I have to go elsewhere. That's kind of fine with me, I had a great time this year and I barely spent any time in the Sahara. I saw Jacques Lu Cont and the tent was absolutely empty after Borgore, only to fill up after Jacques' set right before Zed's Dead or whatever. The few times I wandered over there during a bro-house act I couldn't even get in, during Alesso and Afrojack the tent was overflowing with people.

On the way to Coachella we stopped at a few gas stations and fast food joints. Without a single exception, every conversation I overheard about Coachella was about the EDM lineup and how awesome it was. The few times I went in there I saw an incredible amount of braces and an incredible lack of facial hair. GV is pretty obviously trying to make the Sahara tent into something specific and while it's not exactly a thrilling move I can kind of understand it, I'd imagine that they sell a serious amount of tickets to people who just want to rage to Afrojack and could care less about any of the acts on the other stages.

The Sahara is the land of the teenage rager now. Accept this and move on.

The sahara was shit. Went in there a few times between acts I wanted to see and was numbed to tears. This is old news.

I have to say that the Do Lab, however, went from being kind of a joke about strung-out hippy-ravers to being a completely legitimate EDM situation. Machinedrum, Salva and R/D all absolutely killed it. Machinedrum was throwing down old-school Chicago juke mixed with future bass mixed with his new shit mixed with minimal mixed with a million pounds of subwoofer. I excite.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    I have never spent less time in the Sahara in my life

Disappointed for missing Noisia, I heard they threw down. Fuck GV for giving them the shaft and putting idiots like Alesso in good slots.
    NOISIA ...but the last A is supposed to be an upside down V....so when u flip it it spells VISION

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    The sahara was shit. Went in there a few times between acts I wanted to see and was numbed to tears. This is old news.

I have to say that the Do Lab, however, went from being kind of a joke about strung-out hippy-ravers to being a completely legitimate EDM situation. Machinedrum, Salva and R/D all absolutely killed it. Machinedrum was throwing down old-school Chicago juke mixed with future bass mixed with his new shit mixed with minimal mixed with a million pounds of subwoofer. I excite.

fuck ya i felt it had the most epic vibe at the DO lab...too much fun in there, and it wasnt too big so it was pretty intimate with the stage/crowd...the sound was incredible

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post

machinedrum was criminally not loud enough.

that eprom remix sounded fucking great though.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Tricky, I'm inclined to agree with you. Don't like it but I don't see any other way it could be headed.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

Someone sleep through all the good stuff?

I had a great time!

Amon Tobin, Girl Talk and Beats Antique!!!
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

Oh yeah how was Jacques lu Cont? I am considering checking out his set.

And Coachella is giving people what they want. We are the minority here, guys. Time to move on to other festivals with better dance music. I know, it makes me sad too.

Quote Originally Posted by artisticcreator View Post
    Someone sleep through all the good stuff?

I had a great time!

Amon Tobin, Girl Talk and Beats Antique!!!
    beats antique was incredible, first time ive heard em...so glad i wandered to that side of the fest at the right time haha

I don't think I will be buying presale anymore. Fuck you GV! I actually tried to do research and see artists I didn't know. Wow big mistake!! Should have just stayed home and waited for the 3-4 acts I really wanted to see this weekend.

I could rant forever but its really not worth it. Trick is right, they booked for a certain crowd and gave the rest of us the finger. There were some good acts spread around, and then EVERYONE I WANTED TO SEE RIGHT ON FUCKING TOP OF EACH OTHER on Sunday!

Good thing my boy has an all access for me next Sunday night!

My least fun Coachella since I started going in 03!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO GV!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm the number one Jedi.

First of all, the light set up in the sahara was SICK, you cant knock that.
    I didnt spend much time in the sahara after dark, but sebastian, feed me, and madeon were all REALLY awesome. Flux and Dr P threw down on sunday afternoon too.
    I did see some of kaskades set and he was much better than expected/usual

Quote Originally Posted by Monko762 View Post
    I don't think I will be buying presale anymore. Fuck you GV! I actually tried to do research and see artists I didn't know. Wow big mistake!! Should have just stayed home and waited for the 3-4 acts I really wanted to see this weekend.

I could rant forever but its really not worth it. Trick is right, they booked for a certain crowd and gave the rest of us the finger. There were some good acts spread around, and then EVERYONE I WANTED TO SEE RIGHT ON FUCKING TOP OF EACH OTHER on Sunday!

Good thing my boy has an all access for me next Sunday night!

My least fun Coachella since I started going in 03!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO GV!
    Whatever GV did, it kept the Sahara busy and crowds down for the other stages, which worked out just fine for me, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    Whatever GV did, it kept the Sahara busy and crowds down for the other stages, which worked out just fine for me, thank you very much.
    Indeed, I am more of an EDM fan so I was let down, the Rock and Indie crowds really got a good deal this year. Maybe?

/jadededit

Also I don't care ONE FUCKING BIT about the gay ass fucking light set ups. THEY ARE FUCKING BORING AS SHIT!! All you fucking zombies with your hand in the air need to turn around.

Who need flashing lights and whirlygigs when you could have good music and a sexy lady to dance with?

Fucking tards are ruining coachella and the EDM scene

/endjadededit
    Last edited by Monko762; 04-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm the number one Jedi.