Thread: Dawes

Default Dawes

Dawes should put on an awesome show. I saw their free show at the Santa Monica Pier, and Jackson Brown came out to play with them. He is a real earnest songwriter and a decent live performer. He knows his american and roots music down cold.

Default Re: Dawes

These guys are very good live and would be great in the afternoon on the Main or Outdoor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    These guys are very good live and would be great in the afternoon on the Main or Outdoor.
    I would say the Main due to their crossover appeal!

I don't have a good sense of how popular they are in other areas. They are extremely popular in my town, as were the Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons before them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    I don't have a good sense of how popular they are in other areas. They are extremely popular in my town, as were the Avett Brothers and Mumford & Sons before them.
    Gotta love a state that has Al Franken as a senator. So glad that asshole Norm Coleman lost.

OK these guys deserve a bump. There's usually a token "country" cross-over band from Stagecoach at Coachella and this year that would be Dawes except they aren't playing Stagecoach. They'll be in Australia in early April opening for MMJ and Justin Townes Earle and playing some festivals before coming to Coachella.

Surprisingly few good recent videos of them out there - this is live but a small indoor theater audience in the morning. Their show later that night was a raucous good time if you like drunken sing-alongs and Americana.

Here's another recent live one with Mumford & Sons

parenthood

Everytime I hear them I want to not like them, but the lyrics, hooks and musicianship keep pulling me back in.

Loved this set. Great lyrics and some of the best live annunciation I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

caught like 2 songs. good stuff.

They were one of my most-anticipated acts and they did not disappoint.

great set, awesome live
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

I loved these guys and I'm bummed I missed them (I was staking out a spot on the rail for Pulp). Does anyone have a setlist? or even better a webcast capture? setlist.fm doesn't have it in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I stayed for 5-6 songs to go see Madness open up with One Step Beyond. I know they played these:

Fire Away, Time Spent in Los Angeles, When My Time Comes, If I wanted Someone and I'm pretty sure they played A Little Bit of Everything.

From the looks of the performances on the Coach website and YouTube, it looks like they didn't play Million Dollar Bill, which is my favorite song of theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Lurker

Weekend 2 set:
    How far we've come/Time spent in LA/Fire away/The night they drove ol' Dixie down (Band cover)/Peace in the valley/Coming back to a man/Little bit of everything/when my time comes

I loved that they covered The Band.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar's Cousin View Post
    I loved that they covered The Band.
    No one will ever sing it quite like Levon could. But, it was heartfelt (even if not note perfect).
    I agree that it was terrific to have them pay respects like that.

As soon as Taylor said "Yesterday was a sad day for bands like us" I knew Levon was gone but they absolutely killed it. They are no strangers to The Band having backed Robbie Robertson and recorded in The Big Pink with him last year. One of my favorite sets - loved the chemistry between brothers and Taylor's guitar playing.

Looking forward to seeing them on June 24 at the Bowl with Jackson Browne in the Glenn Campbell tribute.

Glenn Campbell tribute? Aren't they opening FOR Glen Campbell?

I may have misread it. Seems like a little bit of both. Hopefully they come out with Glenn during his set.

Here is what the Bowl's web site says:

The first half of the concert will begin with California-based roots rock band Dawes, joined by special guest Jackson Browne, Kris Kristofferson, Courtney Taylor-Taylor, and Lucinda Williams, performing original songs as well as selections from Campbell’s repertoire that have been of special influence. The concert will close with Campbell performing his most memorable hits as well as selections from Ghost On The Canvas, which has been greeted with unprecedented critical acclaim from all corners.

Lyrically I love this band. They put on a good show 2nd weekend too, but am I the only one that thinks the drummers facial expressions are rediculous! So funny, but in a lovable way.

they were not too fond of coachella. they would have preferred to play stagecoach