Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Moshing?

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

Default Re: 2012 Moshing?

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Madness was really just a circle dancy pit. All lovey dovey smiley and shit. Death grips got a little violent on the rail. There was blood and crowd surfing usually ended with a thud and a gasp.
    Go on...

Buzzcocks!

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

i saw mosh pits surprisingly at zeds dead and araabmuzic
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

At the Drive In is completely against moshing, they hate it, and they'll even stop a show if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ialvarado2 View Post
    I was just going to post a thread about mosh pits...

pit at the Arctic Monkeys, Big skankpit at Madness, Refused was fucking insane, Black Lips, the Buzzcocks, the Hives and ATDI... I imagine there was some for Le Butcherettes but I missed them.

Thanks for bringing fucking rock'n'roll back to Coachella!

Forgot about Arctic Monkeys but I didn't expect it from them for some reason. It's good to hear that the Hives had some since I'm really excited for them. How are Le Butcherettes? Never listened to them

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGatorade View Post
    Flying Lotus? That's the most surprising thing I've heard, or you're screwing with me haha
    I vouch for this as well, the crowd was just PUMPED. The most I was tossed around, hit and jostled all weekend. It was amazing but I nearly had to leave as my girlfriend was a pinball in there. During the final song the moshing got insane.

I hope all of you fucking die.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

My buddy and I were moshing pretty obnoxiously during Refused. Got a few dirty looks. But about half way into the set people remembered: "oh yeah! This is fucking punk rock!" And from there was probably the best pitt of my life.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Of what I consider "real" moshing, I'd say Refused is the only set I'd put up there. It was a seriously violent set, perfect really. Not the hardest I've ever been in, but up towards the top without fights breaking out. And by real moshing, I mean it made me fear for the safety of my glasses, face and ribs. Way better than the half-hearted moshing at OFF! last year. Lightning Bolt had a better crowd even.

I saw ATDI, Madness, Black Lips, Flying Lotus (I wasn't in the middle; it may have been more violent there) and a lot of the other bands people have reported as a pit, but I can't see those being considered more than a dance pit, which isn't a bad thing. I'm glad Madness was a friendly set; The crowd was older (By that I mean the average age was considerably higher than the rest of Coachella) and very much enjoying the set like I was. Good times indeed.

ATR had the lamest crowd ever, and if someone attempted to start a pit in the tiny crowd they would more than likely have been alone and scowled at. I would have expected them to be more impressive, but nothing happened.

That video of Afrojack is pathetic... Bro pits at their best/worst.

And again, Refused was EPIC. You weekend 2'ers are in for one hell of a show.

Did anyone see the little Asian girl who kept jumping in and flailing? I think I coughed up a lung laughing at how hard she was raging.
    Last edited by orangejulius; 04-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I was suprised to see such violent moshing at Zedd's Dead. More intense than ATDI, was up front, everyone was doing the body wave. jammed in the crowd just swaying back and forth

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Quote Originally Posted by syrrus101 View Post
    I was suprised to see such violent moshing at Zedd's Dead. More intense than ATDI, was up front, everyone was doing the body wave. jammed in the crowd just swaying back and forth
    I didn't see Zedd's Dead... sounds like fun though. I've heard good things about crowds at their shows.
    2/21 - Skinny Puppy
    5/23-25 - Summer Camp
    7/18-20 - Pitchfork Music Festival
    8/1-3 - Lollapalooza

I saw what appeared to moshing at Black Lips and some mini-pits at the Hives for Tick Tick Boom. The groups at Madness were just doing that ska circly-dance kind of thing. There was no moshing at firehose (I was front and center and was only bumped by one dude behind me that didn't seem all there).

AarabMUZIK was the most surprising mosh pit I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Refused was by far the most intense in terms of moshing. I was near the front and multiple circle pits opened up. Some guy did a flying kick into my ribs, and I got table-topped so I fell to the ground during New Noise (thankfully someone helped me up instantly). IT was awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    My buddy and I were moshing pretty obnoxiously during Refused. Got a few dirty looks. But about half way into the set people remembered: "oh yeah! This is fucking punk rock!" And from there was probably the best pitt of my life.
    REFUSED pit was the shit...i stayed through Explosions to make sure i was up front for Refused...it was good throwin down with you gentleman

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    I didn't see Zedd's Dead... sounds like fun though. I've heard good things about crowds at their shows.
    I love moshing, dont get me wrong, I just can't get into "dub" moshing. ZD was really fun though, had a great time! might see them again at Lolla this year

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Yo I don't care if you like punk rock, but anybody that can endorse randomly flailing your arms and kicking your legs with the intent of "expressing yourself" (i.e. hurting people) can fuck off. Thank god that didn't happen during At the Drive-In.

Quote Originally Posted by vamosuruguay View Post
    Yo I don't care if you like punk rock, but anybody that can endorse randomly flailing your arms and kicking your legs with the intent of "expressing yourself" (i.e. hurting people) can fuck off. Thank god that didn't happen during At the Drive-In.
    I chose my words carefully to avoid ignorance like you on this thread. You obviously haven't experienced enough moshing, and concerts at all, if you think it's just flailing arms and kicking legs. The Aquabats set last year was the perfect example of how productive and fun moshing really can be. If you don't like it then you obviously aren't into the music enough.

Quote Originally Posted by orangejulius View Post
    Of what I consider "real" moshing, I'd say Refused is the only set I'd put up there. It was a seriously violent set, perfect really. Not the hardest I've ever been in, but up towards the top without fights breaking out. And by real moshing, I mean it made me fear for the safety of my glasses, face and ribs. Way better than the half-hearted moshing at OFF! last year. Lightning Bolt had a better crowd even.

I saw ATDI, Madness, Black Lips, Flying Lotus (I wasn't in the middle; it may have been more violent there) and a lot of the other bands people have reported as a pit, but I can't see those being considered more than a dance pit, which isn't a bad thing. I'm glad Madness was a friendly set; The crowd was older (By that I mean the average age was considerably higher than the rest of Coachella) and very much enjoying the set like I was. Good times indeed.

ATR had the lamest crowd ever, and if someone attempted to start a pit in the tiny crowd they would more than likely have been alone and scowled at. I would have expected them to be more impressive, but nothing happened.

That video of Afrojack is pathetic... Bro pits at their best/worst.

And again, Refused was EPIC. You weekend 2'ers are in for one hell of a show.

Did anyone see the little Asian girl who kept jumping in and flailing? I think I coughed up a lung laughing at how hard she was raging.

ATR wasn't very good? That's actually really disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    I saw what appeared to moshing at Black Lips and some mini-pits at the Hives for Tick Tick Boom. The groups at Madness were just doing that ska circly-dance kind of thing. There was no moshing at firehose (I was front and center and was only bumped by one dude behind me that didn't seem all there).
    There wasn't any for fIREHOSE? Was the set at least good?

hearing no action for ATR makes me hella sad. i would've been bonkers that whole set.

good to hear the mosh still thrives though
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveChoi View Post
    One thing I do need to get off my chest

Apologies to Freddy Prinze Jr for Cursing him out in 2012 when all that chaos unfolded.. I was a total prick to you and I was wrong

I chose my words carefully to avoid ignorance like you on this thread. You obviously haven't experienced enough moshing, and concerts at all, if you think it's just flailing arms and kicking legs. The Aquabats set last year was the perfect example of how productive and fun moshing really can be. If you don't like it then you obviously aren't into the music enough.
    I dunno man. There's nothing wrong with moshing, but once it gets violent I just don't understand the fun that can be attained from that. One of my favorite bands is Converge, and seeing them two weeks ago was an amazing experience. The only downside was getting punched in the neck once and seeing a girl get drilled on her side. I listen to more than enough heavy music to know my shit, but seeing hardcore bands live is usually a struggle to avoid the one to five ass clowns in the middle of the dance floor spinning around like special ed kids with sparklers.

The pit for FlyLo was directly in front of the stage, it was insane and I wish I stayed in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

There wasn't any for fIREHOSE? Was the set at least good?
    Yes, yes and yes!! I was a fan from way back and the Pedro boys brought it. Mike was really into it, standing next to George most of the time, playing off each other. One of the highlights of any Coachella for me.

Quote Originally Posted by vamosuruguay View Post
    I dunno man. There's nothing wrong with moshing, but once it gets violent I just don't understand the fun that can be attained from that. One of my favorite bands is Converge, and seeing them two weeks ago was an amazing experience. The only downside was getting punched in the neck once and seeing a girl get drilled on her side. I listen to more than enough heavy music to know my shit, but seeing hardcore bands live is usually a struggle to avoid the one to five ass clowns in the middle of the dance floor spinning around like special ed kids with sparklers.

Converge is great. Sorry for attacking because I do somewhat agree at hardcore shows, but some circle pits and slam dancing can definitely make a set more fun and energetic. Not so into the hardcore dancing myself, I wish hardcore shows could be more like punk shows at times. But I don't mind Refused being violent. I'm so excited to see them that the violence won't phase me as long as I'm having fun.

After reading this thread, it looks like I'm probably going to be seeing you a lot OpenGatorade haha. Though it kinda sucks to hear there wasn't a crowd for Atari Teenage Riot. I haven't really heard much about their set, but I guess there weren't many people there.

trakball

Quote Originally Posted by grichsgang View Post
    There was no moshing at firehose (I was front and center and was only bumped by one dude behind me that didn't seem all there).
    I saw this little chick shove a guy next to me, and we all just shot her a dirty look.

I mean I'm all for moshing but fucking fIREHOSE, this is a band I've always wanted to see

Flying Lotus? That's the most surprising thing I've heard, or you're screwing with me haha
    That was the weirdest part of the weekend. I said in another thread, I am all for mosh pits, but at Flying Lotus show? Thats almost as ridiculous as the moshpit that broke around me when I went to see The Pharcyde.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Quote Originally Posted by stranger123 View Post
    After reading this thread, it looks like I'm probably going to be seeing you a lot OpenGatorade haha. Though it kinda sucks to hear there wasn't a crowd for Atari Teenage Riot. I haven't really heard much about their set, but I guess there weren't many people there.
    We'll make something happen during the set, and we'll just instantly know who each other are, and we'll be the ones that started it. ATR must be fucking crazy.

Two guys almost got into a fist fight in the crowd during the Shins.

THE FUCKING SHINS.