Thread: Sunday Writeups Go Here

Default Sunday Writeups Go Here

Beauty was everywhere on Sunday.

So yeah by Sunday I was seriously dragging but still made it in to the polo grounds to catch Fanfarlo in the Gobi. If Okkervil River and the National got married and had kids and taught them to play Arcade Fire songs, they'd be called Fanfarlo. The kids would, I mean. Enjoyable, pleasant, and skillful songs that might seem a little bit derivative but maybe they've got the talent to grow into their own space in the future.

Housse da Racket are a 2-piece band from France featuring guitar, drums, keyboards, percussion, bass, and horns. They were ok, sounding more than a little bit like the poppiest bits of Talking Heads in places. Which is not a bad thing. But man. That view on Sunday afternoon out the back of the Gobi. The polo grounds in the sunshine, the artwork, and the gleaming snow on the mountains behind. It was just such stunning beauty, I kept making people turn around and look at it. Look at that! Don't you see that! Look at how fucking amazing that is! Don't you get how fucking amazing it is to be here? Don't you?

First Aid Kit was another one of my very highly anticipated acts of the weekend and they exceeded expectations by a lot. I really don't think I can remember ever hearing vocal harmonies of that quality and beauty and perfection at Coachella before. Their set was just about perfect and I will never forget it. Beautiful and moving and great. One of the real highlights of the weekend.

Rushed to meet with friends and sit in the sun for Seun Kuti & Egypt 80, who were really fun but I thought they should have been louder. That kind of music just needs to surround you and envelope you and make you feel like you are inside of it, but it wasn't loud enough to do that in my opinion. But it was fun nonetheless and I might have danced a bit. Sunday was quite a bit warmer than the previous two days and the women were dressed accordingly, dancing to the afrobeats in the warm sunshine. Beauty was everywhere on Sunday.

Was gonna go to Real Estate but these evil people made me go have beer with them instead and from what I hear about RE it is just as well. Made it to the Growlers for part of their set and enjoyed it esp the sort of ringing echo guitar tone. Then I met some more people for beer and we talked and had fun and got excited for Wild Flag.

Wild Flag were really rocking, really great. Carrie Brownstein deserves a lot more recognition for her guitar playing. She's better known for a goofy TV show than she is for being a truly great rock and roll guitarist. I wonder if this is some sort of inherent sexism in how Rock views the role of women in bands? Or is that just a relic of the Classic Rock ages and do people really not carry gender biases with them anymore when they think about guitar players? Do people - men and women alike - objectify women in that setting and expect them to be beautiful and sexy first and rocking and great second if at all? I think that could be an interesting topic of discussion. Also, Carrie B is fucking hot.

Was gonna go watch the Hives but caught them from the beer garden instead and sat and chatted with friends including a real board oldtimer who I've not seen in years (hi ally!). All I remember about the Hives was that "Main Offender" sounded pretty good which is really all I wanted to hear anyway. But on Sunday at Coachella sometimes hanging out with friends is more important. You people are beautiful and I am lucky to have met you all.

I went to the Heineken dome because Cara told me to but I couldnt' find anyone and man I was a fish out of water in that place. It's creepy to even think of it now.

Beirut were so great. I've been a fan for years but never seen them live before. Those horns.. damn they were so great. So beautiful. At times I was almost overcome by it. In fact the sheer beauty of it all inspired me to give MJA a big manhug when I met him. I know he appreciated that, and I hope people can think hard about what they heard there. This is a gift of beauty. Admire it and appreciate it.

I had promised people they would see me at Modeselektor but I was having a beer or two with beautiful friends and missed the start of it then it was like, eh, I'm tired, so I was out by 10:30.

Next year.
    Last edited by TomAz; 04-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Default Re: Sunday Writeups Go Here

Did somebody slip something into Tom's beers on Sunday?
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Beauty was everywhere on Sunday.

First Aid Kit was another one of my very highly anticipated acts of the weekend and they exceeded expectations by a lot. I really don't think I can remember ever hearing vocal harmonies of that quality and beauty and perfection at Coachella before. Their set was just about perfect and I will never forget it. Beautiful and moving and great. One of the real highlights of the weekend.

Beirut were so great. I've been a fan for years but never seen them live before. Those horns.. damn they were so great. So beautiful. At times I was almost overcome by it. In fact the sheer beauty of it all inspired me to give MJA a big manhug when I met him. I know he appreciated that, and I hope people can think hard about what they heard there. This is a gift of beauty. Admire it and appreciate it.

Next year.
    thanks for this, I definately want to try to catch First Aid Kit weekend 2, your review sealed the deal for me. Beruit as well
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Tom, I have been thinking quite a bit about the question you pose re: Carrie Brownstein recently in the context of Screaming Females. Watch the reviews of that album: I bet every single person will compare them to Sleater-Kinney and talk about how Marisa Paternoster is the best female guitar player. I am of the disappointed opinion that we still hold female musicians to a different standard, as is frequently seen in reviews where the references for female acts are all other female acts. Sleater-Kinney, for example, should have been talked about more in terms of Fugazi than Bikini Kill.

/Thread Jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Bryan, yeah, it's definitely worth discussing which is why I brought it up. I think it's a more complicated issue though: people are gonna react how their gut says they should react (that was my 'Carrie is fucking hot' joke, except it's not just a joke, I actually mean it like I did with Amy Klein last year). It takes some level of insight to identify gut reactions as just that, gut reactions, and then to think about and understand and begin to question the reasons and societal programming that may be at the root of those reactions, and then set them aside and make judgments based on dispassionate intellect. /pitchfork

But yeah Carrie is great, I spent most of the set watching her work the frets and thinking damn she's better at this than a bunch of guitar gods I can think of.
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

I think more of the problem that I see with it is, because we as men (and indie rock fans are predominantly men) do react to attractive female musicians based on their looks at a basic level, we create a different playing field for them. It isn't a problem, necessarily, to compare female musicians only to female musicians, especially since that is done somewhat dispassionately as a discussion of musical merits. However, the separation that causes makes it unfair to many female musicians who are working at levels comparable to or higher than male musicians. For example, I get frustrated when people compare Joanna Newsom only to people like Joni Mitchell or Karen Dalton (who she shares some similarities to), when lyrically she has a mastery of English more comparable to Bob Dylan. And it's great that Carrie Brownstein comes from a long line of female guitar players, but her style also evinces the best of people like Guy Picciotto and Jimmy Page. And how about bands like The Slits or X-Ray Spex, who were among the first to blend punk rock with outre instrumentation or world rhythms, pointing toward pretty much all of post-punk. Women are part of the field, and we should think of them in that light moreso. So, I agree that it's good to realize that we do it, and better to realize we do it and then to take steps to work against it.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was thinking of Carrie in light of Pete Townshend more than Jimmy Page, but yeah.

There was an art installation that wasn't there the previous two days, probably due to the wind. It was a big crane that was made up to be this huge orchid, but it almost looked like some sci-fi monster. There was also this large black balloon garden that I saw earlier in the day but I think it disappeared a few hours later.

Got to the main stage and was able to get up close to Band of Skulls. I had seen them a couple of years ago in the Mojave and became a fan. They did not disappoint. Their performance was more polished than before and the trio really filled up the big stage. Hope to see more from them in the future.

Really wished I had seen Santigold. I had to go meet someone at the lockers and only saw a bit, but she sounded great and two guys in a horse costume and a couple of cheerleaders were on stage when I saw her.

I was really dragging and saw the beginning and end of Beats Antique. Very unique sound. There was a belly dancer, a couple of other dancers, and at the end, they were wearing animal masks and beating up on each other. I think the Zebra dies. Went over to the Sahara and it was pretty crowded for the afternoon, unlike the previous two days. It was warm, not too hot, but it finally felt like Coachella was supposed to feel.

Caught the last part of Wild Flag and really wish I had seen their entire set. Carrie Brownstein tore it up.

Had to go back to the locker to get a long sleeved shirt for the evening. Pushed up through araabMUZIK to get close for Gotye's set. A little moshing going on, nothing too serious.

So I was able to get about 15 yards from Gotye dead center, about ten people back. Couldn't tell how packed it was behind me but I was told that it wasn't as huge as M83's set. Anticipation was high. By the time he started, the sun had finally set and the tent cooled a bit.

Gotye was my favorite set of the festival. Here was an artist that's an overnight sensation 10 years in the making. He certainly did not seem tired considering he had done SNL less than 24 hours before. I believe he was more concerned about doing such a complicated setup (lots of different percussion instruments and sounds and sampling) with no sound check and he even admitted it later in the set. A couple of songs had great animation behind him which helped tell the stories of the songs. Two thirds of the way through, he finally does Someone That I Used to Know. Crowd goes berserk and sings along loudly which is strange because the opening of the song is so still and quiet. Kimbra walks out and the crowd erupts even louder. Seeing it live and seeing both of them relate to each other was a very powerful Coachella moment. I understand a lot of people left after that but no one packed up close to the stage. I say he's the real thing, definitely not a one hit wonder. There is a lot of complexity with all the pieces of percussion and sampling that he uses.

At the Drive In was an interesting and inspired choice before Dre/Snoop. Wasn't familiar with them before but really liked their set. Wandered over to the beer garden and took a peak at Florence. I saw her several years ago in the Mojave (or was it the Gobi?) and wasn't quite won over then. But she had a huge crowd, probably the largest at the Outdoor this year. She certainly had her fans but she's not for me.

Which leads to Dre/Snoop. I'm not into rap at all. Not for me. But I thought the show was fantastic. For many, many reasons, this is a historic Coachella set. Eminem was great. And, of course, the Tupac thing was really impressive, even from a good 100 yards out.

This is my fourth full Coachella and I will say that this year was my least favorite year. Part of it may be due to the weather because it was cold on Friday and Saturday, really due to the wind. But it was still great and also all the little things that GV does from year to year are improvements. I can't think of anything they did that I would consider a step back. They have done so many things right since the meltdown of 2010.

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

attended coachella

Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg may have crowned Sunday on the 2012 Coachella poster, but I had another main event in mind as I entered the Empire Polo Field on that last day: The Weeknd. Abel Tesfaye climbed to the top of my priority list not very long after the line-up released and I came upon his website, where his three magnificent mixtapes – House of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence – found heavy rotation on my iPod. Finally there was a flavor of popular R&B that didn’t bore me to death – probably thanks to the alternative nods like the Beach House samples in “The Party & The After Party” and “Loft Music,” but also with much help to the music’s rich electronic taste – like the latter section on “House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls.” I was prepared to stand among the sing-along crowd and lip-synch – so that I could spare my neighbors of my sad noise.

Arriving from a superb performance by The Hives (more on this in a later installment), I found a place in the massive crowd just in time to hear “High For This” whispering out of the Outdoor Theatre. I infiltrated deeper into the crowd, hunting around hip gatherings for an elusive sound that kept bounding away no matter how much nearer I drew. I even removed my Etymotic plugs – an essential tool for any concert fanatic – something I rarely do in the presence of live music – because The Weeknd always remained a faraway sound that could not rise above the gross chatter of so many people talking about things unrelated to what was happening onstage. In fact, it felt as though I were listening to a band from one stage while they played on another stage, plenty yards away, muffled and weak.

I wanted to push my way toward the soundboard – not the stage – and shout at the technicians for allowing such a crime to happen. The general rule should probably state this: Beyond the stage’s signpost – where its set times are located – the music should be loud enough so that you cannot hear your neighbor without their shouting at your face. I mean, really, if your unprotected ears do not ring after the set, something went wrong with the volume. And I didn’t want to fight the crowd for a spot near the rail, where the sound might have been found; I just wanted to enjoy one of my highly anticipated Coachella sets in the way that I enjoyed many of the other sets that came previous to The Weeknd’s performance. Needless to say, I felt grumpy – I even became suddenly aware of a stomachache – and I miserably swayed to “The Knowing” after returning to my initial spot away from the stage, having given up on my dreams.

The real tragedy is that, in the faint murmurs of The Weeknd’s performance, I could hear hints of a wonderful set – the set I wanted. Tesfaye’s voice sounded very good, the band played well, and the setlist contained just about everything I wanted to hear; it was all just a victim of the dreaded “bad sound,” which may arguably be worse than a set falling flat because of an act giving a dismal performance – it is something that could (or should) have been prevented during sound check. And I can’t even imagine why the sound was the way it was, because I heard solid sets from the Outdoor Theatre earlier, and I could even hear Florence + The Machine when she played the same stage later – and I was practically standing at the opposite end of the polo field!
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluck View Post
    They have done so many things right since the meltdown of 2010.
    Can you elaborate on this meltdown? I wasn't there but I may have heard about it before on these forums. Just too crowded?

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Can you elaborate on this meltdown? I wasn't there but I may have heard about it before on these forums. Just too crowded?
    Friday of 2010 was when the wristband RFID system malfunctioned and chaos ensued. I got there early and missed it but it nearly ruined Coachella. They were using Palm Pilots for authentication and sometime on Friday afternoon, the system blew up. On top of that was a massive, epic traffic jam. And there were literally thousands of people without tickets looking for them. At one point, one of the checkpoints just let people in to avoid a very ugly scene. There may have been 90,000 people, maybe more that day. There's a press article somewhere about that. I ran into tons of people without wristbands that day who simply walked in.

Saturday and Sunday were better but it was still very crowded.

Paul Tollett and GV had a lot of soul searching after that to fix everything and they did it. They created the one mile perimeter and multiple checkpoints to discourage gate crashing which was pretty prevalent in years past. They paid for road improvements to increase traffic flow. They began the shuttle system. In years past, there were stories of being trapped in the parking lot for hours and hours. Don't know how bad day parking is now but I haven't seen any posts complaining about getting out at night. They increased the size of the festival site.
    Last edited by coolhandluck; 04-16-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks all for the write ups. Very helpful for planning, although, the rave reviews of certain artists keep piling onto my conflict list. I've been dying to see Band of Skulls, but I might have to squeeze some First Aid Kit in too.
    https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

heineken dome

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Karen Dalton
    Thanks for this. Never heard of her. Its like Billie Holiday singing folk songs. Awesome.

https://soundcloud.com/longaisles

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, Broken Bells, Jagwar Ma, Dum Dum Girls, Wye Oak, Caravan Palace, The Glitch Mob, Woodkid
    Saturday: MGMT, Fatboy Slim, CHVRCHES, Washed Out, Future Islands, DARKSIDE, Banks, Bear Hands, Galantis, Warpaint, Mogwai, Nas, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Beck, Disclosure, Little Dragon, Chance the Rapper, STRFKR, Aluna George, Flight Facilities, J Roddy Walston

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I was thinking of Carrie in light of Pete Townshend more than Jimmy Page, but yeah.
    Funny you mentioned this. After that set I told someone -- I think Cara -- that Carrie was entitled to a Townshend windmill after that performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

TomAz and I bro'd it the fuck out. It was glorious.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg may have crowned Sunday on the 2012 Coachella poster, but I had another main event in mind as I entered the Empire Polo Field on that last day: The Weeknd. Abel Tesfaye climbed to the top of my priority list not very long after the line-up released and I came upon his website, where his three magnificent mixtapes – House of Balloons, Thursday, and Echoes of Silence – found heavy rotation on my iPod. Finally there was a flavor of popular R&B that didn’t bore me to death – probably thanks to the alternative nods like the Beach House samples in “The Party & The After Party” and “Loft Music,” but also with much help to the music’s rich electronic taste – like the latter section on “House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls.” I was prepared to stand among the sing-along crowd and lip-synch – so that I could spare my neighbors of my sad noise.

Arriving from a superb performance by The Hives (more on this in a later installment), I found a place in the massive crowd just in time to hear “High For This” whispering out of the Outdoor Theatre. I infiltrated deeper into the crowd, hunting around hip gatherings for an elusive sound that kept bounding away no matter how much nearer I drew. I even removed my Etymotic plugs – an essential tool for any concert fanatic – something I rarely do in the presence of live music – because The Weeknd always remained a faraway sound that could not rise above the gross chatter of so many people talking about things unrelated to what was happening onstage. In fact, it felt as though I were listening to a band from one stage while they played on another stage, plenty yards away, muffled and weak.

I wanted to push my way toward the soundboard – not the stage – and shout at the technicians for allowing such a crime to happen. The general rule should probably state this: Beyond the stage’s signpost – where its set times are located – the music should be loud enough so that you cannot hear your neighbor without their shouting at your face. I mean, really, if your unprotected ears do not ring after the set, something went wrong with the volume. And I didn’t want to fight the crowd for a spot near the rail, where the sound might have been found; I just wanted to enjoy one of my highly anticipated Coachella sets in the way that I enjoyed many of the other sets that came previous to The Weeknd’s performance. Needless to say, I felt grumpy – I even became suddenly aware of a stomachache – and I miserably swayed to “The Knowing” after returning to my initial spot away from the stage, having given up on my dreams.

The real tragedy is that, in the faint murmurs of The Weeknd’s performance, I could hear hints of a wonderful set – the set I wanted. Tesfaye’s voice sounded very good, the band played well, and the setlist contained just about everything I wanted to hear; it was all just a victim of the dreaded “bad sound,” which may arguably be worse than a set falling flat because of an act giving a dismal performance – it is something that could (or should) have been prevented during sound check. And I can’t even imagine why the sound was the way it was, because I heard solid sets from the Outdoor Theatre earlier, and I could even hear Florence + The Machine when she played the same stage later – and I was practically standing at the opposite end of the polo field!

This is a really sad story. To make sure I had good sound for The Weeknd we camped out about 25 minutes early. His set was fantastic. I'm sorry the sound was bad back there .