Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

Default Re: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

Thanks. If you stick around long enough, you might pick up some tips on how to craft an engaging sentence people might give a shit about reading.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Default Re: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

That's actually nicer and appreciated. We do what we do because we love music, we want to help musicians make money and want to share music with others. These are pretty simple goals and will never profess to be anything greater than we are. We will do whatever it takes to be better at what we do and we heard you. Can't ask for more than that. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks. If you stick around long enough, you might pick up some tips on how to craft an engaging sentence people might give a shit about reading.
    Liv, Luv & Rock....Cousteau!
    Promoting the music of tomorrow, today.

ARE YOU GUYS SIAMESE TWINS OR SOMETHING?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by RockCousteau View Post
    Here's our review of Coachella 2012 Weekend 1. http://rockcousteau.com/2012/04/22/v...ka-coldchella/
    I found more of RockCousteau's reviews here.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I don't think so Mitch. That link shows a guy who can use the first person singular.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

http://beverlyhighlights.com/2012/04...new-surprises/

Zachary Fouladian, Staff Writer
    Many students took advantage of spring break coinciding with Coachella’s first weekend, but some went the music festival’s second weekend, April 20 to 22. All in all, Coachella’s second weekend was much like the first, only hotter and more populated.
    One of the similarities was the recreation of the Tupac hologram. Some students had hoped for a different artist, for the surprise factor to continue into the second weekend. But Tupac emerged on the stage again, and though there wasn’t a pleasant shock for the second weekers, the experience was still unforgettable.
    Junior David Javidzad enjoyed his second-week experience. His personal favorites were Calvin Harris, Swedish House, and Dada Life (the last because he managed to get up front), but there weren’t many bad parts for Javidzad.
    One performance he didn’t like, though, was The Weekend. “Everyone didn’t like it,” Javidzad said. “The music was louder than the microphone.”
    Javidzad confirmed that there were many people and that the heat was intense, but there were people with misters to spray water, and that the size of the crowd “the way it was supposed to be. Without that, it wouldn’t live up to its theme.”
    Javidzad recommended next year’s Coachella-goers bring extra money, since bringing water or food isn’t allowed. He spent $40 on water and churros each. Javidzad also recommends the waffle ice cream sandwich and the French fries, mentioning them with a grunt of satisfaction. Lastly, Javidzad warns next year’s attendees that “if you’re not prepared to get wet, you won’t have fun.” So to those already waiting to grab Coachella 2013 tickets, be ready for sweating in the heat and being sprayed with water, as they’re both part of the festival’s package experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

16 year old rich jewish/persian/armenian kids know whats up it seems.

I made a review and it's on facebook and no I am not going to link it here because you can find it yourselves you lazy motherfuckers. Except Tom, who doesn't have a facebook.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

You know you want to type it all out again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    You know you want to type it all out again.
    I see what you're trying to do here...
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

David Javidzad: ENJOYMENT AUTHORITY
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Everyone didn't like The Weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I want Javidzad to have a blog.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Last edited by TomAz; 04-24-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Put it here because I suck at Facebook. Or at least my phone sucks at Facebook.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Tupac.

A pleasant shock once.

An unforgettable experience twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

I don't have the energy to write a real review anymore. Here is the my abbreviated review of weekend one:

1. The vast majority of the crowd sucks. Yes, I understand it comes with the territory. Yes, I understand Coachella is a popular, mainstream thing to do now. Fine. I'm happy that it has gotten to this point, especially after such rough beginnings. I could deal with the Great American Bro-out and vapid party girl stuff if those people were respectful of other concertgoers and knew how to behave at a concert. They don't.

2. Fortunately, the music is still pretty good, even if the lineup has skewed more and more mainstream recently. I have no problems filling my day with good music. I was only disappointed by one act that I went out of my way to see, and that was A$AP Rocky. It isn't cool or entertaining to have 30 of your friends on-stage yelling into microphones, no matter how trill as fuck you are. Sorry.

3. I saw the following bands/performers:

FRIDAY

Kendrick Lamar (most of set)
    Talented, but please have your DJ stop with the airhorn sample. Thanks.

Yuck (most of set)
    I love this band's record, but their stage presence is nil. Great songs though.

James
    Killed it. Wonderful. One of the highlights of the festival.

Gary Clark Jr. (end of set)
    Pretty much the exact same stuff I saw in February. But he has a great voice and can play. Bright future.

Jimmy Cliff & Tim Armstrong (first portion)
    Jimmy Cliff's voice sounded fucking incredible. Wish I had stayed longer.

Girls (most of set)
    They were nice. More engaging than I expected.

Arctic Monkeys
    I always forget how much I love these guys. Hadn't seen em live since Coachella 2007. They were a highlight then and a definite highlight now. It's amazing how well they've lived up to their potential. And they have managed to evolve convincingly. Awesome.

Madness (portion)
    Sounded good from the beer garden.

Pulp
    Another highlight. I love this band. Sounded great, Jarvis was awesome, and I've wanted to see them at a festival since I discovered them at 15.

Mazzy Star
    Listened from the beer garden. They rocked waaaay harder than expected and sounded awesome. I want to see them again.

M83
    Much better than when I saw them in November.

Refused
    Caught the first 20 mins before my friends bitched at me to go home because they were freezing. They were great at Coachella and even better at the Warfield a few nights later.

SATURDAY

We Were Promised Jetpacks
    Sounded pretty great. Napped for a portion of the set (the temperature/drinking, not the band, contributed to this nap.)

Childish Gambino (portion)
    Surprisingly good. His records don't do it for me. Pretty good showman.

Destroyer (portion)
    Nothing like a little sexy sax in the beer garden.

The Big Pink (portion)
    I keep giving these guys a chance for some reason. I've seen them live probably 5 times at this point, which is ridiculous. They never live up to my expectations. It wasn't bad, it just was solid.

fIREHOSE
    Totally killed it. Relentless, nonstop music. Sounded great, looked great, played great.

Buzzcocks
    Highlight of the festival. See above, but even more exciting. So, so good.

Manchester Orchestra (portion)
    Better than I remembered. Their drummer is a beast. I would see them again.

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (vast majority)
    I thought he and his band sounded great. I hadn't even heard the new tunes despite being a massive Oasis fan, so I was relieved that they were good. The reworked Oasis tunes were pretty good too.

Jeff Mangum
    Couldn't miss him after seeing him earlier in the week. He also did not disappoint. The word that kept coming to mind was "devastating", but with everyone singing along, it was also joyous and hopeful and celebratory.

Kasabian
    Hadn't seen them since the Fonda in either 06 or 07. They were great. These guys are proper rock stars. Their set in 05 was, and still is, an all-time Coachella highlight.

Bon Iver (portion)
    Left early because I was seeing him the next week (but then got sick and missed him.) The set was roughly the same as at the Greek in September though, so I didn't feel like I missed much beyond the new (and lovely) stage setup. It's cool that someone who does some challenging stuff is being accepted in mainstream circles. They really commanded the main stage too.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (portion)
    Does not work as well at a festival, but still great. The visuals continue to be stunning.

Radiohead (portion)
    I like Radiohead a lot. I have never once thought they were amazing live, and I still don't entirely understand why so many people think they are. Don't get me wrong; they are very, very good. But I have never been blown away by them in concert. This was no exception.

A$AP Rocky (portion)
    See my comments at the beginning of this review.

SUNDAY

Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 (portion)
    Missed most of this because I had to chauffeur my dumbass friends and stupidly listened to them when they suggested we enter through the camping entrance because it "wasn't bad at all" the day before. That said, what I did catch was fantastic.

Real Estate
    The very definition of pleasant. They also don't do anything amazing. I buy their records, I listen to their records, and I like them a lot. But it's just not exciting in any way. It's wonderful lazy/sunshiney music, but it's nothing that will blow your mind.

Wild Flag
    Really great. Better than what I have heard from the album (the selections from which I didn't find very exciting.) The psychedelic jam on "Glass Tambourine" was rad. And I got to lay down and sort of nap in the sun. Hooray.

The Hives
    Sounded great from the beer garden. They validated my opinion of them opening for Refused a few nights later. I had wanted to see these guys since 2002, so it was really cool to finally be able to make good on that.

The Weeknd
    Sounded good from the beer garden.

Justice (portion)
    "Genesis" is a great opening tune. The rest wasn't very exciting. I hadn't heard the new material, but what I heard was not good.

Girl Talk (most of)
    A known quantity at this point. He's fun. It kills me when people refer to him as "amazing" (like the girl standing in front of me did), but he's good for what he is.

At the Drive-In (vast majority of)
    Sounded fucking killer. I was not a huge fan of their records but figured I should see them anyway. I enjoy the records much more now.

Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
    There isn't much to say. They put on an exceptional headlining show. Hit after hit. Totally to the point. Tight band. I would see this show again in a heartbeat.

4. This was my ninth Coachella in a row. I plan on making it to my tenth in a row next year. I started going when I was 15 years old. The differences between 2004 and now are amazing, and, more often than not, disappointing. I hate to sound like an old person (and at 23, I'm not old), but I miss the way it was. I get that things change as they grow more popular. Ultimately, this isn't my little secret anymore, and I am genuinely happy that this is such a successful thing. But selfishly, I miss how this festival used to be. I miss when acts like James Blunt were the one exception you could count on every year, not an increasing part of the norm. I miss pre-brostep and jokers calling themselves "house" music. I miss when it didn't feel like a frat party, and when it didn't feel like everyone was just going to be seen or to party super hard and bang hella chicks all weekend bro, or going just to say they went. I miss the mostly-respectful audiences, who acted like they had actually attended a concert before and gave a shit about the people around them.

I've never gone to this festival for any reason other than the music. Fortunately, that is mostly intact. But I just don't know how much longer I can put up with the crowds. Did I still have a great time with my friends? Yeah, I did. But I don't think I will be a given anymore after I reach the 10 in a row milestone. I just don't think I can do it. And that makes me sad.

I wrote about some of the bands I saw - and of other thoughts - after Coachella on my blog: http://timothymichel.com/

Specifically, I wrote about The Weeknd, SBTRKT, The Black Keys, Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg, Jeff Magnum, Pulp, The Hives, and Mazzy Star. They're not spectacular reviews. I mostly just noted if the band was good or not, and then I rambled off on some general topic.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This was my ninth Coachella in a row. I plan on making it to my tenth in a row next year. I started going when I was 15 years old. The differences between 2004 and now are amazing, and, more often than not, disappointing. I hate to sound like an old person (and at 23, I'm not old), but I miss the way it was. I get that things change as they grow more popular. Ultimately, this isn't my little secret anymore, and I am genuinely happy that this is such a successful thing. But selfishly, I miss how this festival used to be. I miss when acts like James Blunt were the one exception you could count on every year, not an increasing part of the norm. I miss pre-brostep and jokers calling themselves "house" music. I miss when it didn't feel like a frat party, and when it didn't feel like everyone was just going to be seen or to party super hard and bang hella chicks all weekend bro, or going just to say they went. I miss the mostly-respectful audiences, who acted like they had actually attended a concert before and gave a shit about the people around them.

I've never gone to this festival for any reason other than the music. Fortunately, that is mostly intact. But I just don't know how much longer I can put up with the crowds. Did I still have a great time with my friends? Yeah, I did. But I don't think I will be a given anymore after I reach the 10 in a row milestone. I just don't think I can do it. And that makes me sad.
    I am an actual old person, but you sound older than me. Yes there have been changes since 04, but I think you've changed more than Coachella has, which, you know, is a good thing, cuz it'd suck to be 15 forever. But the bros have always been there; in 04 they wore trucker hats and Von Dutch shirts. There have always been mediocre bands given prime slots - Coldplay headlined in 05, remember? What year was it that someone tipped over a portapotty with someone inside? 07? There have always been shitty people there. There have always been great people there too. I didn't find the audience at First Aid Kit this year to be any less respectful than at Juana Molina in 04. There are certainly more people there than there were eight years ago, and yeah now it's hard to find a quiet piece of grass to just lay down on at sunset. That's a shame, I guess, but certainly not enough to kill my love for the place.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    1. The vast majority of the crowd sucks.
    I very-much disagree with this. I think the majority of the crowd is generally pretty good. There are just moments in which a few idiots ruin things and that makes it seem like the majority of the crowd sucks. Unless you're just going off of appearance and don't like bro-looking people being there. Or you don't feel like those people are just there for the music. If that's the case, I have to ask why you care. As long as they aren't disrupting your enjoyment, who cares how they dress or if they like the bands as much as you? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I've just read that complaint a lot before.

saying a majority of 85,000 people sucked is def. hyperbole. if that was the case the fest would be unbearable.

I didn't find the audience at First Aid Kit this year to be any less respectful than at Juana Molina in 04.
    Remember when the Gobi tent was a STAGE with no tent? I remember Juana Molina (and Beck) out in the sun. The lack of shade sucked.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

eh, I didn't have an issue with the crowds at all. Most people I ran into were nice and cordial. I only wanted to kill the couple next me during Jeff Mangum for arguing aloud.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Remember when the Gobi tent was a STAGE with no tent? I remember Juana Molina (and Beck) out in the sun. The lack of shade sucked.
    You must have been doing a lot of drugs amy. I definitely saw Juana Molina and Beck in a tent. For Beck, though, the crowd was so huge that the overflow was out in the sun.
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-01-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

The majority of the crowd I was around sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

You must have been doing a lot of drugs amy. I definitely saw Juana Molina and Beck in a tent. For Beck, though, the crowd was so huge that the overflow was out in the sun.
    I was worried someone would say that. It was a much smaller tent, let's say. I was out in the sun. The only drug I was on was half a painkiller left over from the dentist. I didn't really do drugs back then. I remember much less shade in 2004, and it was really hot.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I very-much disagree with this. I think the majority of the crowd is generally pretty good. There are just moments in which a few idiots ruin things and that makes it seem like the majority of the crowd sucks. Unless you're just going off of appearance and don't like bro-looking people being there. Or you don't feel like those people are just there for the music. If that's the case, I have to ask why you care. As long as they aren't disrupting your enjoyment, who cares how they dress or if they like the bands as much as you? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I've just read that complaint a lot before.
    This element is definitely harder to ignore and avoid. But you're right, once you let them under your skin it's much harder to shake their presence. Friday I really struggled with this, but I had my own drama going on internally. My ability to disregard was definitely limited. Also I mentally couldn't get past the cloudy and cold weather. Things on Friday were just off for me.

I have started to review my first coachella experience, http://sepwww.stanford.edu/data/medi.../blog_main.php if anyone is interested. only friday done so far, and rather hurriedly, I might add.