Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

Default Re: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

Damm. Those photos are clear.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Default Re: Your in-depth reviews/pictures/anecdotes re: Coachella 2012 (Weekend 1)

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    This may be the single best pic I have ever seen from any Coachella ever. Great fucking job Chris. wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

and this. wow again.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

thestripe

Great write-up and pics, Courtney.

Courtney, I was right by you during this! Made my night
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    Courtney, I was right by you during this! Made my night
    She posted about 10 different things.

Fair enough. I am blaming it on the head cold and general lack of sleep from this past weekend. I meant during radiohead with the sparklers
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

p.s.

So, this year was my first Coachella...I have known about the festival since 2010, and have wanted to go ever since. The line-up this year could not have been sweeter for me. I had the best time of my life last weekend and I'm sure all those who went could say the same.

Friday:
    The day started off pretty nice. Getting to and from the shuttle was an enjoyable experience. My first set at Coachella was Abe Vigoda they were one of the late adds this year, and having never heard of them 'til they got added was a pleasant surprise. They were a very good way to start the day off. Next up was Wolfgang I really enjoyed the album they had this year and a lot of there songs are very catchy and nice to sing and groove to. I then made my way to the Sahara for the first time to catch some of Breakbot I was blown away by how massive the tent was!!! it seems like people never left. But he was pretty entertaining and seemed to be playing a good set, then it was off to Yuck.

Yuck's album last year was just what the current music selection needed. A classic loud album. I found that they were very good, but didn't really reflect their record and played a more chill spacey set. Neon Indian completely blew me away after seeing them two years ago. The band has gotten a lot better live and the outdoor crowd became a dance party. Girls were probably my favorite of the bands I saw during the day. I missed them whenever they came around last year so it was my redemption. They had a nice balance of all their material with mainly stuff from the new record. Vomit closing with the gospel singer doing a solo followed by rain was amazing. At that point, I walked over to see a little Arctic Monkeys and they were killing it as always. Madness was the next band on the outdoor and they were very fun, to just skank around and dance.

After 30 minutes of them I went to get a good spot for Pulp, my must-see of the weekend. Jarvis and co. blew me away with the best festival set I've seen. All the hits and fan favorites ending with Common People just killed. After a little waiting, The Black Keys finally came on. They busted through their 80 minute set playing mostly from the new albums which all were amazing, but still playing some old hits. Having never seen them before, I was very blown away. I'm glad Dan and Pat have made it full circle. I then went to the soundboard for Refused who were probably the best of the day. Sooooo much energy emitted from the band and they got the crowd they deserved who never stopped throughout the set. Dennis and the guys seemed really stoked to be back playing shows and were very grateful of everyone coming out. It seemed like how a reunion should be. After wandering the festival a little bit after, we made it back home to sleep for day 2.

Saturday:
    This day started off a little slower then Friday, but it was a nice thing to sleep in a little. I quickly made my way over to We Were Promised Jetpacks who I thought were merely just a nice post punk band, had some chops as a post-rock band. They were loud and woke me up for the rest of the day. After I grabbed some spicy pie and got to the main stage for Childish Gambino who was one of my most anticipated sets. He killed it and everyone was rapping along to the lyrics he had on screen. Kendrick Lamar and Danny Brown(should've booked him...) came out and did a freestyle over one of his old songs and it sounded awesome. Walked through Grace Potter who sounded good to see fIREHOSE one of most interesting discoveries I made this year. What a tight trio. They delivered the songs so effortlessly it seemed and they were all connected to each other. Mike Watt is probably one of the best bassists around right now. I went to get a spot for Tune-yards and they were very unique and how she pulls the songs off live was pretty awesome. Up next was Andrew Bird who was more rockier live and went so easily from shredding on a guitar to playing a violin so beautifully it was uncanny. I went back to the soundboard and admired the sunset while waiting for Jeff Mangum.

Jeff was easily the most beautiful, perfect set I saw all weekend. Hardly any videos being taken, very little talking, no screens, just Jeff and the occasional horns. So many sing alongs and everything just sounded amazing. Walked off to The Shins as the fool was ending was just so cool. A movie moment almost. The Shins were pretty good, and although they didn't play girl inform me, my personal favorite, they played some good songs but not the best ones from the new record. Closing with new slang and sleeping lessons couldn't have been more perfect. Bon Iver came on soon after and proceeded to blow minds like they always do. Justin and them are really one of the best new live acts around right now and I hope a lot of people saw that. The skinny love and wolves sing alongs were incredible and it was nice hearing beth/rest finally. Radiohead was the best set all weekend for me though. The new songs were killer, Karma Police, my favorite was played and was a massive singalong, Everything in its right place with the neil young intro and then closing with paranoid android are only a few things that made it so incredible. And thus ended day 2.

Sunday:
    It started to sink in that it was the last day of Coachella(or at least this weekend) and it wasn't any less amazing then the other days. I started off with Sleeper Agent who had a nice crowd and seemed to be having a lot of fun playing up there. I hope to hear more from them in the future. Next was Housse de Racket a duo from france that are very catchy and almost sound like they belong in the early 2000's. They were very awesome live and they both gave it 100 percent. After I took it easy in the mojave waiting for First Aid Kit. The two sisters and the drummer really took my breath away as they played a nice mix of the first and second album and even covered Fever Ray "when I grow up" which was pretty sweet with a folk twist. After I checked out Flux Pavillion, but the atmosphere just didn't feel right and it was hard to get into, so i walked into a pretty empty gobi for Greg Ginn and the Royal We expecting something punk. But, what I got was an experimental set of Greg setting up layers upon layers. He was a nice set to just mellow out before I mellowed out even more with Real Estate. I feel like Real Estate are the Coachella band. They just remind me of a nice spring day with beautiful weather. Their set flew with some great jams and I was left wanting more.

I then walked over to Fitz and the Tantrums who were doing a great job of keeping the crowd on their feet even in the hottest part of the day. They played some nice soul songs and a cover of the raconteurs. Next was The Hives a band I had always grew up with but never got the chance to see them. They really brought it wearing full suits and the singer was making me laugh the entire time. I left early to catch The Weeknd's U.S. big live show debut. He completely surpassed all expectations I had by singing his heart out along side his band who were very impressive playing songs that were made with just samples. The sunset in the background just added to one of the best sets of the festival. After I made it to Justice who although were 20 minutes late...were pretty awesome when they came on. I liked how they mixed the old songs with the new ones but I am still surprised they didn't drop Phantom.

After that came At the Drive In another heavily anticipated act who had some great energy and played their songs very well. I felt like Cedric was giving it his all but his voice was just not how it used to be...and Omar looked like he definitely did not want to be there, but it was pretty cool. Hopefully they play around here again. Of course Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg came on after them and they gave the best show that could be considered more a spectacle if anything. Hologram aside(although it was well done) Dre, Snoop, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar, 50 Cent, and Eminem all gave amazing performances and played some of the biggest hip hop songs in the last couple years. Dre himself didn't rap much, but I have a feeling it was because he was the conductor of this rap symphony he had going on and the show was basically a love letter to it.

All in all, everything about the fest was pretty perfect, and I think its remarkable that its happening twice. It just seems crazy some of these priceless memories could be replicated again. I'll be back again next year for sure.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

6. Running into Josh Homme at Pappy and Harriet's
    This didn't even happen at Coachella technically, but I'm including it here because more and more, I am realizing that these festivals for me are just as much about the people as they are about the music. Driving up to Pioneertown for a second time on Monday night with Josh, Becky, Zack, Chris, Niall, Tom and Cortland was the perfect bookend for a terrific weekend. Attending what was no doubt the most talented open mic night I have ever seen, and seeing some Brits devour massive plates of American steak and potatoes, was only topped by having Josh Homme stroll in around 9pm and sit down right next to us. But really what made this fun was seeing how incredibly excited this made our Josh. His enthusiasm was infectious.

2. Integratron
    This Thursday morning pre-Coachella trip was the other half of my Josh Homme bookend. Visiting an acoustically perfect, entirely wooden structure built by a crazy dude living in a cave who said the blueprints were downloaded into his brain by aliens? Yeah, it was awesome. Laying there with Jen, Rick, Becca, Andy, Tommy, Louise, Josh, Becky and Zack and letting the sound of crystal bowls vibrate through my brain was a sort of spiritual cleanse that allowed me to open up to what would follow during the weekend. I highly recommend a visit to anyone who has the opportunity.
    Haha, I am glad these made it onto your list Courtney. Both of these experiences also contribiuted to making this one of, if not, the best Coachella experience I have had yet. I am sorry I got so excited about Josh Homme, I just couldn't help it! I am glad that at the end of the night when Courtlen and I finally decided to just go up to him and say, he turned out to be a really nice and cool dude. And the Integratron was an amazing experience too. You gotta send me that picture of myself and that guitar Anthony Bourdain smashed!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Some honorable mentions: learning what "ghost riding" means
    Also. This. TOO funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Here's our review of Coachella 2012 Weekend 1. http://rockcousteau.com/2012/04/22/v...ka-coldchella/
    Liv, Luv & Rock....Cousteau!
    Promoting the music of tomorrow, today.

Quote Originally Posted by RockCousteau View Post
    Here's our review of Coachella 2012 Weekend 1. http://rockcousteau.com/2012/04/22/v...ka-coldchella/
    "This pilgrimage to Coachella would be our fifth. Things have changed somewhat since the first, but as always, the music was profound. And that, my friends, is what this music festival is all about. "

"Upon arrival to the festival grounds, we already renamed the festival to “Coldchella”. "

"Yuck was followed by a less than emerging band we have loved for quite some time, James on the Coachella stage."

" it was time for a retro-band, MADNESS on the Outdoor stage. Playing all our favorite tunes, the energy was not wasted upon us."

"Immediately following M. Ward was an emerging band we have been following and very much looking forward to seeing live, the Rapture. The disco dancey sounds saved us from the bitter chill in the air."

"Friends were made"

"Onward to the next set by reunion band, fireHOSE. This would be our first time seeing this band live and seeing this author’s personal idol on the bass, Mike Watt. Watt’s got made skills on the bass."

" Leslie Feist, lead singer of Feist, managed to gather a large group of very talented musicians together for her set. There was no doubt in our minds that she owned that stage."

"Our night would wrap up with a Miike Snow and Radiohead. We met up with a group of friends that were on their fourth trip to Coachella from Arizona. They were extremely pumped for Miike Snow and we had to admit, so were we. We missed Miike Snow the last time they performed at Coachella and were determined not to miss it this year. There were visuals, great sounds and even a surprise appearance by Lykke Li. Check out Miike Snow perform ‘Sylvia’ and ‘Paddling Out’. Without getting too wordy, we’ll just say that we enjoyed Radiohead from the side stage, didn’t see a thing and enjoyed the set. Since we had already seen them on this tour in Miami, seeing them again was not such a priority. We saw it as another chance to make new friends."

"Sunday finally rears it’s ugly head. It’s a day we find that is usually stacked with a majority of mellow bands at the start, but pumped up acts to close the festival. It’s a day that’s nostalgically gleeful, as it is sad. "

"Here’s another much anticipated band we couldn’t wait to feast our eyes and ears upon, First Aid Kit. These Swedish sisters are the female Fleet Foxes with vocals like buttah. "

" Unfortunately, other commitments prevented us from staying any longer and while we would have enjoyed the reunion of At the Drive In and the novelty of seeing Tupac’s hologram during Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg’s set, it would not come to pass. It’d be easy to lie and say we saw them both, but that’s not how we roll."

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    "Upon arrival to the festival grounds, we already renamed the festival to “Coldchella”.
    i prefer my renaming of "hot cocoa-chella"

...and shittiest review ever?

It's a review that is nostalgically gleeful.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post

...and shittiest review ever?
    Pretty damn close.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    we prefer our renaming of "hot cocoa-chella"
    Fixed

(pictures)

These are all excellent. I especially love the Pelle jumping one. Please continue to post more! Did you ever get your camera back? Also I am loving the tilt-shift photos; I completely forgot about that setting on my S95 until I was on the plane coming back. /kicks self again.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

Quote Originally Posted by RockCousteau View Post
    I hope writing isn't something you're trying to do for a living.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Jacques Cousteau hates your fucking guts.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Phoebe, I believe Jacque Cousteau is dead.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

hahahahaha.

"Rachel, no you were not supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not. taste. good."

"And we kinda figured about the porch swing."

"This is so good that I'm going to enjoy it on the balcony, so that I can enjoy the view whilst I enjoy my dessert."

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Nice pics Supre, you really stepped it up this year
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Thank you for spending the time to write that. Agreed with your comment about VIP. Would have been nice to have access to the Rose Garden and VIP parking, but other than that, not worth it and silly atmosphere by people that go there for show.

"...and shittiest review ever?

Thanks!
    Last edited by RockCousteau; 04-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Who the fuck are you talking to, you half witted, illiterate goon?

Keep up the trash talk, it looks good on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Who the fuck are you talking to, you half witted, illiterate goon?