Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying in Palm Springs

Default Staying in Palm Springs

Hi there!
    How far is the drive from Palm Springs to the venue? Is it a pain in ass drive?

Default Re: Staying in Palm Springs

About twenty minutes or so, and it's not bad at all.

Banned

im staying in plam springs as well and from what im getting from everyone, as long as you leave early 10-11am you will be fine getting there. the trip back is a pain but thats expected. some people have said they have left around 1pm and didnt get in till 445pm. so we shall see.

Banned

plam? jesus i need to spell check! lol

Lurker

It's more like 45+ minutes. You guys are nuts who say 20. I used to live there. If your hotel is near a freeway entrance in Palm Springs it's closer, but you have to take TONS of surface streets even if you get on the freeway. If you give us an address I can tell you the fastest route. Mapquest doesn't know shit half the time.
    Portishead in 2007.
    I have attended every year.

Quote Originally Posted by I_am_138 View Post
    It's more like 45+ minutes. You guys are nuts who say 20. I used to live there. If your hotel is near a freeway entrance in Palm Springs it's closer, but you have to take TONS of surface streets even if you get on the freeway. If you give us an address I can tell you the fastest route. Mapquest doesn't know shit half the time.

I'm staying at the 'A Place in the Sun' hotel in Palm Springs.... I used mapquest and it says 35 minutes... know a quicker way? Thanks!

A Place in the Sun

www.aplaceinthesunhotel.com
    754 E San Lorenzo Rd
    Palm Springs, CA 92264

35 minutes without traffic. throw in 50,000 people or so, & add a few minutes to your commute. add a few dozen squad cars with orange cone traffic barriers, etc. maybe a couple hours if you catch bad traffic flow.

Avoid traffic by arriving a tad early & leaving a tad early.

If not, find a guy named Tad. Say hello to him for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

On a regular day with no traffic...from on ramp to off ramp it takes about 20-30 minutes. Then from the freeway to the venue is about an additional 5-10 minutes.
    BUT!!!!!
    With the festival being in town...maybe 30+ on the freeway then about an hour+ getting to the venue since the traffic gets all cluttered within 2 or 3 blocks from the venue.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaipod View Post
    I raped three children, did heroin, harrassed a horse, set fire to an emo kid, and stole a cart of churros.

THIS TRULY IS THE LAND OF THE FREE!!!

I stay in Palm Springs also, normally its no big deal HOWEVER, last year Sunday it took us 3 hours to get to parking. Expect the same on any day that sells out...and if it does i highly recommend going early.
    "God got Wendys' period mixed up, every 28 days she starts acting nice...it lasts about a weekend."

From the Hilton Resort in Palm Springs? It's on Tahquitz Canyon Way.

Quote Originally Posted by scoop49er View Post
    im staying in plam springs as well and from what im getting from everyone, as long as you leave early 10-11am you will be fine getting there. the trip back is a pain but thats expected. some people have said they have left around 1pm and didnt get in till 445pm. so we shall see.
    Hey, that was me! On Saturday in 05. Yes, leave early and you should have no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Lurker

I live literallly right down the street from the venue, every year i tell people to bypass the main off ramps (Monrore , jackson, jefferson) take 86S, exit Ave 52 and go thru the city of Coachella. i belive parking is off of 52nd. It's been easier that way in the past.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

make sure you really know where you're going. the post above who talked about the surface streets is right. since coachella kinda forces you to leave the festival in a certain way, you want to be sure you know how to get back to your place. we were lost for an hour in palm springs in 2004. and that was quite hellish after the 2 hours it took just to leave the parking lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

It's not usually that long. Except when theres traffic. And usually around coachella fest. time there is.

Lurker

We're from the UK and are camping at the festival however we're planning on staying in Palm Springs on the Wednesday night before the festival and the Monday night afterwards. Anyone have any tips on where to stay? Also getting to and from the festival as we won't be driving.

Banned

we are gonna make palm springs on the 26th so i think that night we will take a little tour of indio just to scope out the place. i like to be prepared so i think ill check it out just to get familiar..

i read somewhere that theres a shuttle from palm springs to coachella... do ya think its a better idea to leave wayyyy early and get a taxi? or just try to find out more on the shuttle thingy? anyone know where in palm springs the shuttle is from?

xxfxx

Quote Originally Posted by ~fab81~ View Post
    i read somewhere that theres a shuttle from palm springs to coachella... do ya think its a better idea to leave wayyyy early and get a taxi? or just try to find out more on the shuttle thingy? anyone know where in palm springs the shuttle is from?

xxfxx
    Are you sure? I thought there is no shuttles from the festival to palm springs but I could be wrong...

And you could leave wayyyy early and get a cheap(er) taxi but then you'd miss out on all the headline acts! I see you're coming all the way from the UK so if I was you i'd be willing to fork out a couple extra bucks to take in the full awesomeness of coachella.

yes... i think we will get there way early in the morning, and probably leave really late at night so that we can catch all the headlines...

how much do you think a taxi is likely to cost? roughly... just to get a general idea.

xxfxx

Quote Originally Posted by ~fab81~ View Post
    yes... i think we will get there way early in the morning, and probably leave really late at night so that we can catch all the headlines...

how much do you think a taxi is likely to cost? roughly... just to get a general idea.

xxfxx
    well from palm springs to the festival grounds is about 25 miles I think and it takes 20-30 mins on a good day.

However with the ridiculous amounts of traffic that will surely be on the roads following the close of each day I'd guess you'd be looking at a 1 to 2 hour drive so a taxi just wouldn't be worth it.

Possible solutions: rent a car, maybe split up the cost if you're going with others to coachella. Or just arrange/hitch a ride. There will be heaps of peeps travelling to Palm springs and being the attractive young lass that you are, I'm sure you'll have no trouble whatsoever finangling a ride from someone

awww what a helpful reply...

welllllll as neither of us drive, we'll have to arrange something. if everyone is as helpful as you guys, im sure it wont take much working out.

*sigh* america is just toooooo big!!

xxfxx

Me and 3 friends are staying in the Wyndham in Palm Springs for a night (on Tahquitz Canyon Way or whatever its called).... anybody else crashing there on saturday night? PARTAYYYYY

Lurker

Make sure you reserve early. My friends and I went with NO planning for 2001. We stayed at a Motel 6 in Mojave and drove in in the morning, got there before parking opened, somehow.

On the way out, we passed sign after sign along the highway saying No Vacancy. Eventually we drove for 3 or 4 hours to Victorville. It should have taken 2 hours, but stopping at places, and heavy fog in the mountains slowed us down.

Sure, we should have planned better, but we were just dumb 20 year olds!
    "No wire hangers!"

I'll be driving to and from Palm Springs each day. Should have room for 2.

Last edited by fever55; 02-15-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Last edited by fever55; 02-15-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Smile Re: Staying in Palm Springs

I live 2 hours away, but love that my Grandparent's have a place that's less then 10 mins away.... makes the weekend a very inexpensive trip!!

also... if you can, park as close to an exit as you can when you park in the festival.

in 02, I parked literally RIGHT IN front of the entrance to the grounds (less than 70 yards away)

When we left, we just sat in the car drinking for an extra hour because traffic was insane.

Lurker

That would, of course, have been WATER you were drinking in your car... right?
    "No wire hangers!"

Quote Originally Posted by Miasmom View Post
    I live literallly right down the street from the venue, every year i tell people to bypass the main off ramps (Monrore , jackson, jefferson) take 86S, exit Ave 52 and go thru the city of Coachella. i belive parking is off of 52nd. It's been easier that way in the past.
    That is where I usually park - after I take my "secret route" to bypass all the traffic and cops (or actually go by them). This was coming from Palm Springs last year, and Lake Cahuilla camping the previous 4. It is a little bit of a longer walk, but you can park right away, and when you leave at night, you get out of the parking lot within 20 minutes. Then there is little hassle getting to the 111, back into Palm Springs. I'm doing the same route this year.
    "Yeah chicks go nuts for that... the male camel toe."
    "Yea yea! The camel tail."