Thread: Pedestrian access--here's the thing

Default Pedestrian access--here's the thing

Nice to have pedestrian access mapped out this year.

However, it should be noted that the areas between Avenues 52 and 48 on Madison, and Avenue 49 between Madison and Monroe (where we were forced to go) were NOT closed off to traffic. I expected Madison to be open to traffic (there's a large sidewalk and a bike path for pedestrians, after all) but Avenue 49 was, once again, incredibly dangerous to ride or walk on. It's a narrow two lane road with narrow sandy dirt paths. Not safe at all for bike riding and not really all that safe for walkers either. Unfortunately for us, our house is on Avenue 49 between Monroe and Jackson, so we had to take Avenue 49 to Madison and then backtrack to the entrance/bike area--no other way around it.

Not to mention the fact that even up through last night, many security staffers had absolutely no idea 1) where the bike rack was, 2) where the bike path was, and 3) where pedestrians were supposed to be able to enter and exit. Cara has a horrible story about her walk in on Sunday that I'll let her tell. Totally expected it to happen on Friday, but not on Sunday night.

I'm willing to pay for hookers to blow the city chief of police and all of the city councilmembers to get a dedicated, closed-to-traffic pedestrian access. In the meantime, bikers should be aware of this for this next weekend.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: Pedestrian access--here's the thing

i stayed in the same hood and yes, that road was pretty shady. then again so was having to dodge bicyclists on monroe who insist on riding on the sidewalk. cant say i blame them though, that street was also pretty shady with no bike lanes from what i can tell

I was a Monroe sidewalk bike rider....we went in super early though, so we didn't encounter anyone on the sidewalks. No bike paths on Monroe, either. We were only on Monroe for about a block though.
    Last edited by captncrzy; 04-16-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

some of the bikers were chill, others not so much. some would slow down and make their presence known while the assholes just came barreling through yelling "EXCUSE ME COMING THROUGH!" or some bs like that. again if i had a bike i'd prolly have been on the sidewalks as well but i wouldnt have acted like i owned the fucking sidewalks

that half a block sure didnt feel like a half a block when walking it around 1am

The main reason I gave up on walking/biking from Indian Palms C.C. and took a hotel and shuttle pass instead. The setup for those of us walking or biking from nearby is just not safe or ideal. And it's obvious no one at GV or Indio city hall cares either.
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

Yes, thank you Capt'n. This is something that seriously needs to be addressed. It was also very frustrating that in order to enter by the lockers to avoid having to go through 2 security entrances including camping you had to ride all the way up Jackson and to 52nd. It was worth the extra mile or so, but what a fucking joke. BTW GV, bikes are not pedestrians.

What happened to Cara? She even had the special wristband. She should have been able to go wherever she wanted.

I don't have the full story; something about not being able to go into the entrance she was supposed to be able to go into and she had to walk around the entire venue.

Also, does anyone want to go in with me on the hooker-buying?

On the last day there my friend James and I had to go all the way up 49th to Jefferson on our bikes instead of turning left on Madison as we had done the day before. It was grueling. I'm pretty sure that was an extra mile, at least, out of our way. The ride home on Saturday on 49th was treacherous too. Some SUV almost ran me off the road and shouted obscenities at me. James was furious and wanted to give them a piece of his mind when we ended up next to them at a stop sign.
    They looked like scary cholas and I wanted to live to see another day so I talked him out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't have the full story; something about not being able to go into the entrance she was supposed to be able to go into and she had to walk around the entire venue.

Also, does anyone want to go in with me on the hooker-buying?
    There were plenty of teenage hookers at the fest. We wouldn't have to look too hard.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I drove by this morning, and there is a fenced in dedicated pedestrian path all the way up 49 on th esouth side.

Maybe this issue has already been addressed.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

No, that was there. They send you down a path that is so fucking sandy or drenched in sewer water which makes it impossible to ride a bike. Then they send you through camping check in and then you have to go through security again to get in the venue. Total bullshit.

Yeah, that pedestrian path is only for walkers anyway (it's a sand and water gauntlet, and impossible to ride). Walkers go about halfway up 49 and are directed in from there; bikers are supposed to keep going up to Madison, go down to 51ish, and then backtrack.

Wow. That sucks. better get my drink on early so I can keep my cool.

Seems like in their zeal to keep scalpers and gatecrashers away from the venue GV may have gone overboard. A polite and well-written letter to management might make them more sensitive to pedestrians for next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So to clarify, Tom...what you're saying is that I should write a well-worded letter instead of offering blow jobs?

Since you're offering...I'll write the letter.

So to clarify, Tom...what you're saying is that I should write a well-worded letter instead of offering blow jobs?
    I think you should fight the war on multiple fronts.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yeah, that pedestrian path is only for walkers anyway (it's a sand and water gauntlet, and impossible to ride). Walkers go about halfway up 49 and are directed in from there; bikers are supposed to keep going up to Madison, go down to 51ish, and then backtrack.
    when the opportunity was there (on the walk back usually) we'd walk outside that path and on the side of the road even as dangerous as it was. walking on that path was like walking on the beach with the occasional patches of mud

They wouldn't let us go up Madison on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    They wouldn't let us go up Madison on Sunday.
    Did you have to go all the way to Jefferson?

So, even though they had a dedicated path, they weren't letting people use it? Awesome.

I can't remember it was either Jackson or Jefferson. We went all the way down to the one that has the roundabouts at 52nd. It was totally worth the extra effort because getting in from the South side was 400% easier.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-18-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Blow jobs are the way to go

We were able to bike westward across 49th (from Monroe) and join the pedestrians at the North entrance to Lot 1A. We had to walk our bikes every now and then between there and the stretch between Lots 2C and 2B (for pedestrians' safety, as well as sand traps), at which point we could ride again. We did have to go through camping security on the North side of Lot 5, which was a 5-10 minute delay (unless you're female - the girls' lines took much longer), but biked again toward the venue after that.

While the wait at camping security was a pain in the ass, it beat having to bike to Madison (or Jefferson, for that matter) and backtrack.

Save your money, Jen... The hookers already blow the chief and coucilpersons, festival or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Seems like in their zeal to keep scalpers and gatecrashers away from the venue GV may have gone overboard. A polite and well-written letter to management might make them more sensitive to pedestrians for next year.
    True story. Gone are the days of thinking that Coachella happens in our backyard. We had a resident pass to get into the shop that Pete works out of, located on Ave. 50 across from the main stage to park his truck and then take our bikes back to the bike entrance and security. But, to get to that shop "just down the street," we had to go about 2 miles out of our way.

And, while our original plan was to camp, as soon as the stories of tent stakes being taken started circulating, along with the anticipated storm front blowing in, I said fuck it and stayed home on Thursday. He went early on Friday and I had planned to meet up after walking on my own...didn't happen as even I wasn't about to deal with that whole Ave. 49 path to the fest bullshit and the inconsistency with enforcement by security. Yes, I said fuck it to Friday as well and stayed here with my tequila and pissy-assed attitude.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

So, you didn't go at all on Friday? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by knotted_donuts View Post
    While the wait at camping security was a pain in the ass, it beat having to bike to Madison (or Jefferson, for that matter) and backtrack.
    I totally disagree. It was so worth the extra effort to ride up Jefferson to avoid having to go through camping security.

Shuttle Teamsters will be running $50 shuttles from Indian Palms in 2013. No worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Walk the path in and out yesterday.

There were no problems with bikes. I only even saw 3 on the way out. Also they had recently, but not too recently watered it down. It was a pleasant experience.