Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How were the shuttles?

Default Re: How were the shuttles?

Had shuttle pass this year. Palm Springs line. Never had a problem getting the shuttle to head down each day. Always a shuttle ready to go as soon as I was outside the hotel. The only issue I had was Saturday late afternoon I was heading back and 4 shuttles rolled in and all went on break one after another. There was only 4-5 of us waiting but that was jacked up. The VMT guy felt bad after the third shuttle went on break so he called in a van to take us into Palm Springs. Adam, our driver was really great. Even waited for some of us to run into hotel change and take us back. So all in all the shuttle experience was positive and I'll do it again next year.

walk back to shuttles at the end of the night seemed like eternity..... until saturday night we ended up talking/walking with two guys from SF and the walk flew by so fast! awesome distraction! we were all coming down and had the best convo ever. thanks boys. =)

Yeah, the shuttle area at night felt like two miles extra of walking after a whole day walking around the fest. I'm sure it was barely a mile but still. They should fix that. There was never any line at all so they don't have to worry about a big pileup or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbjork View Post
    walk back to shuttles at the end of the night seemed like eternity
    agreed! That was the only downside but nothing unbearable. It's just not fun to deal with after you're completely drained. I also had the Palm Springs line and was really happy with how friendly/helpful and prompt the staff was. It was a 45 minute drive so it made wanting to go back to the hotel rather inconvenient so next time I'll pick a closer shuttle. Fabulous experience though!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Life's tough. Sacrifices have to be made. Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

I would pay $25 more for a shuttle pass if they did this instead of the Loop Walk of Death at the end.

my friend decided to go shirtless one day and forgot to bring a shirt in his backpack. the shuttle driver said it was regulation that all passengers needed to wear shirts and kicked him off. ok that may be the case on a normal bus on a normal day, but i didnt see any other drivers enforcing this. im pretty sure its also regulation that passengers cant eat food or drink or alcohol on buses as well but nothing was said about that.

we went back to the hotel, got his shirt, came back and the next driver didnt even care about the shirt anyway. then we waited about 15 mins on board the buss in the parking lot. i'd just like to say to the mr regulation-fat-ass-by-the-book-guy, thanks for helping us miss mt. eden

everything else VMT related was awesome. all the other drivers were great. this guy just seemed like he was looking for a reason to be a curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I would pay $25 more for a shuttle pass if they did this instead of the Loop Walk of Death at the end.
    genious

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    YES A MILLION TIMES YES
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

Seriously, looking across the bus lot at the shuttle stops and realizing that we had to walk all the way around the field to get there was heart-breaking every night.

You guys should all provide feedback here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CoachellaShuttle2012W2 about the death march loop.

You lazy assess would rather create bottleneck mania than walk an extra few minutes into one of the most efficient operations of that magnitude ever witnessed.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 05-04-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    You guys should all provide feedback here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CoachellaShuttle2012W2 about the death march loop.
    Thanks for posting this link.

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    thanks - I complained via email about the excessive searches and silly walk, and the VMT representative basically said "it wasn't our fault" - so it's nice to have another chance

Shuttles were already perfect and they got better. Backing out the busses instead of looping them around the field along with the corral system shaved off about ten minutes and ¼ mile of a walk at the end of each night.

Our wait time leaving La Quinta was no more than five minutes each day and on Sunday, our group of four was the first on the bus and it immediately left for the Polo Fields with just the four of us.

Free water at the end of the night if you asked was pretty nice too, especially after that walk into the dust storm.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Good to hear all the testimonials. I might be taking the shuttle (if I can find passes at the right price). Otherwise, we'll be driving. Looking to hear more testimonials!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

We took Shuttles from Palm Springs Riviera Stop:

Friday - Bought passes day of at the Renaissance Hotel (can be used for any of the 3 stops)
    - Zero Wait time for shuttle at Riviera (aussies and Kiwis sang 4 non blondes the entire fucking trip though)
    - Went Directly to Coachella via 10 Fwy (trip takes 40 min)
    - Coming home waited about 40 min line line for shuttles after show (trip takes about a hour home making stops at all three hotels

SAT - No wait for Shuttle to Coachella - About 20 minutes to get back at end of night

SUN - Waited a hour at Riviera stop for shuttle to Coachella
    - No Wait afterwards

Security on Friday was OK searched pockets and patted down - Saturday just a pat down - Sunday got my balls searched and hands inside around waist (also Sunday, Camera was taken apart and bags search was super tight), My flask was not taken away.

I’ll do the shuttles again!

this is my third year taking the shuttles and i've never had serious problems...except saturday night. took over two hours to get home, waiting in line for over an hour while watching one shuttle come pick people up at a time, it was horrendous. especially having to sit and wait in the middle of the dust storm, and it being very cold out. i honestly thought people were going to start rioting, it was really really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by michaele View Post
    this is my third year taking the shuttles and i've never had serious problems...except saturday night. took over two hours to get home, waiting in line for over an hour while watching one shuttle come pick people up at a time, it was horrendous. especially having to sit and wait in the middle of the dust storm, and it being very cold out. i honestly thought people were going to start rioting, it was really really bad.
    Which line and what time Saturday Night?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Got in line for the tennis gardens shuttle around 1:30 am sat night after the show and there were like a few hundred people in front of us. We wanted 10 min without seeing a single shuttle show up and decided to have friends who already got home to drive out and pick us up at the pick up lot.

my 7th coachella and my first and last time trying a shuttle.
    Coachella - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 wk1, 2013 wk1 | Stagecoach - 2010 | EDC - 2007, 2008 | DAFT PUNK - LA 2007 |

First time with the shuttle and I was impressed. Free water, comfortable, party. Bathroom on board smells, but not hot like the portapotties. Never had to wait to get on or off. $50 well spent. But...

Issues:

I had to pick up my shuttle pass at will call because I bought it late. The email said my confirmation was all I needed the first day and there would be will call inside the venue. When I got there, the line was at least 30 mins. I really wanted to see Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, so I figured I would go later in the day. Due to the ridiculous security searches, I still missed them, and came back later in the day...line was still at least 30 mins. I thought I could just get back on with my confirmation, but the guy said I must have a pass or I can't get home.

My friend also needed to change his from blue to purple, but the guy said they were sold out of line changes, and he would need to cab it from a hotel on the blue. So we waited, and since they were sold out, I got a blue line pass with a purple sticker over it, and they told my friend he was SOL. He was lucky because they weren't really checking the color and our friend had an extra pass if they gave him shit, but it was stupid. I wish I took care of business at the Tennis Gardens on Thursday instead of dealing with the Will Call/Customer Service BS at the venue.

We had another problem going back on Friday night. Basically everyone on the bus was at JW Marriott and we were at Homewood Suites. After everyone got off, the bus driver asked what we were doing. We told him we were at Homewood Suites. Driver then brought us through a dark industrial area--thought the bus driver was gonna rob us or something. We finally realized he was lost and making a u-turn, but he still ended up scraping the bus. Laughed about it when we got back safely, but very much relieved.

Saturday and Sunday were fine, non-stop to the venue, first stop back. My friend missed out on Wu-Tang; supposedly they weren't running shuttles to the venue in the sandstorm. I thought it was weird, since we got back fine, but his fault for trying to go late.

TLDR, will call at the venue sucks, but would do it again...

Shuttles were great.

Long, dusty walk to shuttles sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Tennis Garden, we left after the last shows were over. i thought it might just be our line, but after finally boarding our shuttle, i saw that all of the other shuttle lines had hoards of people waiting. i noticed during the day that it seemed like there were SO MANY more people compared to friday, and i'm guessing the shuttles just weren't prepared.

I just realized I have a Tennis Line, and not a Palm Desert Line shuttle pass. I am near the end of the Palm Desert Line. I don't believe i can exchange passes at this point... but does anyone know if there is parking near the blue tennis line anywhere? Somewhere i can drop my rental car off for the day and board a shuttle...
    Last edited by froston; 04-16-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by froston View Post
    I just realized I have a Tennis Line, and not a Palm Desert Line shuttle pass. I am near the end of the Palm Desert Line. I don't believe i can exchange passes at this point... but does anyone know if there is parking near the blue tennis line anywhere?
    there's a decent amount of parking at the Tennis Gardens right where the pick up spots are

Cool... free parking for anyone? I don't want to get towed.