Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must-See Sets for Weekend 2 +explanations

Default Must-See Sets for Weekend 2 +explanations

Preferably sets that people might be iffy on, but not Dre & Snoop as we already know, and also don't put something like "eat a fat cock you toothless whore"

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Must-See Sets for Weekend 2 +explanations

Consume a large dick you gap-toothed slut

i said not dre & snoop dogg you pile of shit...

I'm so fucking glad I'm going weekend two. Justice's set short, shitty ass weather, Frank Ocean's set fucked up, having hindsight, etc. Now I know to watch Kaskade instead of Radiohead, M83 instead of the EITS, and catch Childish Gambino (I don't like his album, but he sounded great live). I still haven't watched videos from all my conflicts, but this helped me a shit ton. Thank you, Coachella beta testers.

I am going to weekend 2, but I've heard Jimmy Cliff, Refused, Bon Iver, The Buzzcocks, Black Lips, and Azealia Banks all had great performances. We already know Dre and Snoop will deliver, I am psyched for Radiohead (I think they'll do better weekend 2), and I heard ATDI delivered despite the tragic news on Omar's mom. I caught One Armed Scissor on the live stream and I thought it sounded great!
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

Quote Originally Posted by soursour View Post
    I'm so fucking glad I'm going weekend two. Justice's set short, shitty ass weather, Frank Ocean's set fucked up, having hindsight, etc. Now I know to watch Kaskade instead of Radiohead, M83 instead of the EITS, and catch Childish Gambino (I don't like his album, but he sounded great live). I still haven't watched videos from all my conflicts, but this helped me a shit ton. Thank you, Coachella beta testers.
    Why M83 instead of EITS? This is a big conflict for me, so I am curious how/why you came to this conclusion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammoth85 View Post
    I hope Wario and Donkey Kong don't conflict.

^^^wondering what was wrong with omar

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Why M83 instead of EITS? This is a big conflict for me, so I am curious how/why you came to this conclusion
    Guess he watched both webcasts and just decided he liked m83 better?

They were both great sets. having seen them both during the past year, I'd personally say it's a tough conflict, but i'd probably go with M83 since it's in a tent and you could get a lot closer to the stage.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

M83>EITS

In my opinion, the 4 must sees are, in this order, Radiohead, Amon Tobin, Band of Skulls, and At the Drive-In.

Beyond that, the Black Keys, Kasabian, Gary Clark Jr, Sleeper Agent, Flying Lotus, Thundercat, and... I'll think of more, but I think that's most of them. I'll edit to add explanations, but it'll take me a while to type out and I'm in class, lol.

Watch Wolf Gang Friday at like 1. They sounded good, just sit on the side of the tent and enjoy, it's worth it.

Givers was good too. I hate that stupid ago Up Up Up and think it's super annoying but when they did it live, I was impressed. The chick singer is a fucking beast. And the guy singer makes the ugliest aces ever but he sounded good.

Manchester Orchestra was awesome, the keyboardist is so entertaining.

The Rapture. Fucking awesome, totally worth it. They killed it.

Kasabian, I was jumping the entire time.

Lissie, if only for her cover of Kid Cudi at the very end of her set.

The Weeknd sounded really good, and played the outsor stage without an album even out.

Arctic Monkeys was fast paced and entertaining even if they didn't played When The Sun Goes Down while the sun was going down.

Pulp, Jarvis Cocker is an entertainer.

The Hives, they're hilarious. Howlin' Pelle Almqvist has some jokes, man.

faces* instead of aces
    Outdoor* instead of outsor

Some that haven't been mentioned:

Madeon -- really great high-energy set early in the day to get you started, amazing to see what this 17 (is he 18 now??) year old kid can do

Azealia Banks -- didn't even catch all of her set but stuck around for two songs and wish I'd been able to see more, she was incredible

Flying Lotus -- great mixes, great energy, and I believe he's at the end of the night so it's a great cap if you're not watching the headliner

Santigold -- great energy and so much fun, I wish she was in a tent and not on the main stage in the middle of the day though

The Rapture -- catchy, hooky songs that'll have you dancing (and you'll get a good spot for M83 if you plan to see them =) )

Flying Lotus : great set, awesome crowd.
    SBTRKT: some of the best dancing of the night IMO
    Azealia Banks: Super fun daytime set.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMau5 View Post
    SBTRKT: some of the best dancing of the night IMO
    Im really excited for this.

2 votes for The Rapture, a (dancey?) band I know literally nothing about...no conflicts...MOST DEF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    I watched the webcasts, and I just wasn't that blown away. I'm not trying to take anything away from EITS; I'm just more into sets that have a shit ton of energy. I was watching EITS, and it was a little too slow for me, so I flipped over to M83, and they were just jumping around on stage, going crazy. I was originally going to see the Black Keys, but that stream made me favor M83 for the trifecta. I say just watch a few bits and pieces of both streams and see which you think you'd prefer.

Also, I think I prefer M83 overall.

Kasabian and Gary Clark Jr. are two lesser known bands that put on incredible shows. The energy for Kasabian was off the charts, especially for a lesser known (in the US) UK band. Gary Clark Jr. is like the Jimi Hendrix of blues guitarists.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Perhaps if you had spent more time planning your sets out and less time playing slutty Indian this wouldn't be so difficult for you.

Hmmm... Lets see. Friday.

I would skip Neon Indian. I don't know if their sound was off or they just sucked live but I went back to the campsite to change in the middle of this set because i wasn't enjoying this at all.

GIVERS!! They were amazing! Definitely make your way to their show.

Now here is the thing about Friday night, it really depends on your mood. Amon Tobin or Swedish House Mafia. Sitting in my house making my set list i had no question of putting down Amon Tobin. I didn't want to deal with the type of crowd that was going to be at the main stage. BUT! Once I got to Coachella and I had been dancing all day I was amped. Amon Tobin's set is not go crazy dance time. It is a little more laid back. I still went to Amon Tobin and I noticed that about 10 minutes in a TON of people left. I think they came for the ISAM and didn't know much about his music. My friends went to Swedish house mafia and had an amazing time so i feel like either option is good depending on your mood.

Saturday. Andrew Bird was amazing!! Don't bother going to David Guetta's set, it was really bad and he kept yelling in his stupid french accent. Don't miss Kaskade! Flawless set on his part. The visual set malfunctioned but music was awesome.

Sunday was my favorite day. I don't know if it was the weather or just everyone was killing it.
    Gardens & Villa were an awesome way to start the day. Zedd was the best day dance party of the weekend. I probably drank 3 water bottles during his set because i was dancing so hard. Nero was also amazing. But, my all time favorite set of the weekend was Modeselektor. I wish i had went there from the very start of their set. The crowd was dancing like crazy and so happy. We went to Avicii after because none of us had any interest in dre or snoop. He was also pretty good and there was ROOM TO DANCE all the way to the front because everyone was at the main stage.

If you don't like EDM completely disregard this message lol.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Went to weekend 1 and planning for weekend 2. i'd say see Grouplove and Miike Snow if you can they were great. i barely know them, but they were just fun as hell, great sets, some of the best all weekend. Also Justice was fun to dance your ass off to. Next weekend i'm going to hit EITS, M83 was great but that's a huge conflict as Black Keys are then too (they might be a must see if you've never seen them) probably can't go wrong with any of the 3, except missing all of them for beer. Also i can't wait to see Rapture, we had to see Mazzy Star this week, but Rapture is a must see for me next Fri
    Last edited by Hawkings; 04-16-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

I heard St. Vincent destroyed (which, you know, surprises me because I'm not into that kind of music.) Also heard Tune Yards was great — again, not a fan, so I'm curious now.

st. vincent-->flylo-->sbtrkt all same stage...could be dope.

what was wrong with Omar?

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    I heard St. Vincent destroyed (which, you know, surprises me because I'm not into that kind of music.) Also heard Tune Yards was great — again, not a fan, so I'm curious now.
    St. Vincent was absolutely incredible, enough so for me to make the trek down to see her in San Diego this Wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestretch View Post
    Plus 11 dollars is a lot for Mexicans.
    Quote Originally Posted by edbangme View Post
    Swedish House Mafia: two djs and a guy who speaks english
    Quote Originally Posted by bananahambone View Post
    I guess it's like me going to some Al Queda site and being like "Hey guys. don't ask me how I know, but Bin Laden isn't really dead" And all those terrorist dudes would be like "Hey fuck head, Daft Punk is still not playing Coachella"

St Vincent is amazing live. One of my top choices for Weekend 2

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    Gardens & Villa were an awesome way to start the day.
    Glad to hear someone enjoyed them. I love their album, but I expect it will tough (for me) to get there by noon on Sunday.

I've got a ton to share as I attended all three days 11-End of fest with nary a stop to eat, but I'll hit the biggest points first.

1) There were two shows that stood head and shoulders above the others for me...the first was obviously the Snoop/Dre Juggernaut...not sure if it was the best music of the weekend, but it was a blast start to finish and was just an event. Rates right there with the biggest Coachella moments I've witnessed since I started going in 2008. The other show was Bon Iver - a lot of other posters have presented counter impressions, and if you are not into music that's soft, sensitive, and earnest rather than rocking and rebelious, I get it, but for me this was one of the most astonishing moment to moment flows I've ever witnessed in a live show...sucked me in from the second it started and never relaxed its grip. Like him or not, the man is a master micro-beater with an immense sense of dramatic clarity...anyone who favors heartstring pulling, epic acts like U2 in their prime, Arcade Fire, The National should make this show their absolute top priority, and for those that worry about the Godspeed conflict...Bon Iver's set is tailor made for Coachella, Godspeeds, whom I caught the last half of after Bon Iver, is not...even if you end up taking in all of Godspeed, the crowd at its set was miniscule...catch the first 20 minutes of Bon Iver and then make a game time decision.

2) Do Not Sleep During Saturday's Undercard - Overall, This year's early hours shows were not as strong as the Juggernaut of Black Joe Lewis, !!!, Phosphorescent, Twin Shadow, Menomena and others brought last year...but Saturday's 11-2 run was possibly my favorite three hour stretch of the entire festival...control your partying, and if nothing else, try to catch some of Pat Benatar/X mutant Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (who for the straight guys has the hottest female lead I've ever seen at Coachella), Elvis Costello Reborn Suedehead, Pulp Reborn Spector, Frighten Rabbit'sy We Were Promised Jetpacks, Frightened Rabbits meets Arcade Fire-y We Are Augustines, and the energetic garage act Vaccines.

3) If Schedule holds, there's a magical Friday stretch of EMA - James - Gary Clark Jr - Jimmy Cliff - Death Grips - These should be your priority acts, maybe skipping out of Death Grips early to catch Girls closing number Vomit...which was among the best individual song performances of the entire weekend. Definitely skip Yuck...love the record, total shoegazer energy on stage, gain nothing from seeing them live.

4) A lot have listed Madness as a highlight, but I split sets with WU LYF and thought WU LYF's best moments were better...if nothing else, give WU LYF the opening 5 minutes...their opening number was exceptional, then the set dropped of a touch until close of Heavy Pop and We Bros, but very charasmatic if young band...felt like what Foals would have felt like if they had play Coachella before arming themselves with Total Life Forevers knockout songs.

5) Even if you are a Black Keys nut, go M83 - the Keys were fine throughout, but they are a singles band with little drama to their work...if you catch the opening 15 minutes of their set you will have caught 95% of the magic outside of 10 Cent Pistol, which was the only song that really felt like an attempt to mix things up...One note about M83, can't get their late...that and Gotye were the two tent sets to be most concerned about getting shut out.

6) Refused - Even if you hate hardcore punk, this is a show you need to see...astonishing how tight the band was after such a long layoff.

7) As far as early hours - very weak 11-2 stretch in day one - the 1 -2 stretch has three solid acts in The Sheepdogs, Wolfgang, and Honeyhoney, but the 2 O'clock acts were an exceptionalyl weak lot...the uncharasmatic The Dear Hunter, the creepy, Manson Family like vibe to the sluggish Other Lives, the mindlessly peppy Vampire Weekend/Dirty Projectors cross that was the Givers.

8) Final Thought on Friday - Pulp is your best bet at 8 on Friday, and while It was still a fine show, I have to admit to being underwhelmed...Jarvis is very entertaining, but the show overall had a very sluggish pace to it...Felt like one guy who still wants to be a rock star and five others who've moved on in their lives and would really rather be tucking their kids into bed and then curling up with a good book if it weren't for accommodating Jarvis.

9) Good but not as good as expected acts - Destroyer, Tune-Yards, Wild Flag - Destroyer because Dan Bejar just seems so disinterested, but band sounded fine and you could make a case for Kaputt being the single best contemporary album being presented at the fest, Tune-Yards was the best of the three, and it's fascinating watching Merril construct all her loops, but all the things she has to worry about on stage takes away from her biggest weapon on record, which is that amazing androgynous voice - just didn't have the same explosive power live...Wild Flag I'd almost rate a skip...started strong, but dirty secret is despite the critical praised their debut received, there's a lot of average to just plain bad songs on it, and they couldn't overcome it with their live chops, though Janet Weiss remains a monster drummer and I enjoyed every moment of just watching her. But in retrospect, I'd skip Destroyer for one of the rappers and Skip Wild Flag for Thundercat and then catch full set of the Hives, which was exactly what you'd expect, thoroughly entertaining. Tune-yards I'd still see, but maybe skip out a little early for Buzzcocks, though she did finish with Bizness and My Country.

10) 80s acts kick butt on Saturday - Firehose, Squeeze, and especially the Buzzcocks were all fabulous sets...Firehose and Buzzcocks aren't heavily challenged on the schedule but you've got a real dilemna with Mangum vs Squeeze...my suggestion...Squeeze's second half of set is far better than first half, one of those older bands that needed time to warm up...start with Mangum, and then if you need some Squeeze, leave halfway through.

11) Only Caught a few minutes of St. Vincent, but she was awesome in what I saw (Marrow, Cruel).

12) On Radiohead - I've seen them three times, this was my least favorite performance...the band's achille's heal, one that's rarely spoken about since their individual songs are so good, is they have never been particular artful sequencers of their material, and I felt like this weakness was abundantly clear on a night where many in the audience were very tired and very cold...You're warmer weather may go along way towards making week 2s show better. That said there were a number of fabulous moments...I thought Bodysnatchers was the strongest track of the night, but almost everything they played from In Rainbows came across great, Lotus Flower had a fantastic groove going, Give Up The Ghost was every bit as magical as when Thom ripped it solo in '10, Karma Police turned into the Evening Sing-along, Lucky was awesome, and Paranoid Android is, well Paranoid Android...so tons of highlights, just know ahead of time you're going in for a show that isn't particularly well paced and much like their more recent material is a relatively mellow, cerebral affair.

13) Sunday's got another just okay early hours setup - Fanfarlo was better than I expected, Lissie was good, and House De Racket, kinda a French house variation on the White Stripes, was very good, but the only real star up until three for me was First Aid Kit - who were completely charming and I urge everyone to see.

14) 3pm Sunday is your second worst clusterfuck of the weekend after Friday nights Black Keys, EITS, M83 block...I went with Wild Beasts and Loved them, though their sound was in and out, but I caught a few minutes of Greg Ginn, one of the most experimental performances of the weekend, very cool, and Sean Kuti and both felt like shows worth spending a lot more time with, and that says nothing to missing Santigold outright.

15) Not much to say on rest of Sunday's lineup, which was either underwhelming (Florence...new album's songs just aren't that great, Justice - a shitty DJ act), a DJ act, or too crowded to check out (Gotye)..but I will put in a good word for The Weeknd, which while not the best show of the day was no where near the train wreck many were predicting, and Company Flow...who may have the worst schedule position of the festival along with Greg Ginn...up against Girl Talk, Justice, Calvin Harris and Beirut...they are rightly hosed, but I thoroughly enjoyed the twenty-five minutes I caught, and excellent rap warm up for Dre...be a good sport Weekend Two-ers and show them some love before Girl Talk.

16) Had to add after I saw someone else's post - concur on The Rapture...they were fantastic...very propulsive dance-punk set.

Finally - some technical things to expect -

1) For day parkers, they improved the parking situation by carving out the area into smaller 200-300 car blocks, cutting down on the bottleneck significantly. The hour and a half waits to get out of the lot are over.

2) Sound bleed was worse this year than any other year I have attended...they've got the mainstage on steroids this year...you can hear it in the Gobi and Mojave even if your railing during the middle of a loud set. Another reason to think twice about picking Godspeed over Bon Iver.

3) The schedule is really frustrating this year - If you had asked me to name my top twenty acts before the schedule came out...Mangum, Santigold, Gotye, DJ Shadow, M83, Miike Snow, SBTRCT, and Explosions in The Sky all would have been on it...and I caught not a second of any of these sets. Weekend twoers will benefit greatly from weekend oneers feedback.

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by IlliniQ; 04-16-2012 at 11:36 PM.

I think Neon Indian might have sounded bad because it was really windy. I think the wind really fucks up the sound waves if you're not super close.

Wow thanks for the nice write up illiniQ!!

I'm going to adjust my schedule based on your feedback. How early would we have to get to M83 to secure a moderately good spot in the Mohave? Was it packed to the point where people were busting out the sides of the tent?

Also can you please elaborate on the parking situation? How long did it take to get out each night? Was time to exit affected by which lot you parked at? Also, how long does it take to get in and park?
    COACHELLA 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jiggly View Post
    st. vincent-->flylo-->sbtrkt all same stage...could be dope.
    that's my saturday LSD trip for me ! front row for all 3 see you there brother