Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: there is still hope for coachella '07!!!

Default there is still hope for coachella '07!!!

I've been reading through a lot of these posts in the past 24 hours, and I have to say that I absolutely agree with anyone who says the lineup feels weak and unsatisfying, but I also have no problem putting all of my faith into Coachella regardless. If you look at the actual 2007 poster, and compare it to previous years, there are almost half the amount of bands each day as before...you know what that means...I think they probably built a good foundation, one that doesn't cause cardiac arrest, but also one that will bring specific fans. I wont hesitate to buy a 3 day pass on Saturday, solely because I know they will adding a bunch of nice little surprises as the months go on. So while I agree with the complainers, I'm offering you some good, solid hope to carry you throught the next 94 days. See you there!!!!!!

Default Re: there is still hope for coachella '07!!!

I have a question as I have seen this type of post every year (well for the past 3 i have been attending.)
    Do you honestly know every band on the lineup? Last year was amazing to me not cuz of the headliners but cuz of the lesser known up and coming bands that did everything they could to impress the crowd, they were hungry for the exposure.
    I think this lineup is amazing and if anything is weak its the headliners but I don't go for the headliners and will be off to the other stages while they do their thing.

considering last year they added Daft Punk, Massive Attack, Kanye West and Madonna after the initial line-up, I'm sure there's gonna be a few very noteworthy acts that will be added.

I am not even close to knowing everyband on the line-up, but I know a lot. I am hoping since there are less bands per day that either:

(1) Bands play longer sets and there is just as much overlap between bands as there was in previous years...or...

(2) Bands play for the same amount of time, but dont overlap as much allowing one to see full sets of more bands in one day

I think I am good with either situation?

I hope they still overlap the bands. I hate having to make the difficult choices of selecting an artist to miss or splitting time between two sets, but that is SO MUCH BETTER than sneaking a view of an artist through the side of a tent because there are too many people squeezing to catch a view. Granted, it would be nice to have longer sets, but the best quality of Coachella is having so much going on at one time. I've never been to that other festival in TN, but I can't imagine what it would be like if Coachella only had 2-3 artists playing at a time. That would seriously suck.

It looks like there are about 40 artists listed per day. How many were listed at this time last year (end of January) vs. the day of the festival? That should give us an idea of how many artists will be added.

I dont how many were listed this year at this time, but I know there were only a few additions (daft punk, massive attack, madonna) and cancellations (the subways and someone else who I cant remember) after the linup came out. I dont think there will be more than five or six additions to the line up. As of right now there are 33 bands on friday, 41 on saturday, and 38 on sunday...so it looks like friday could use some work.

Fri: 33

This is the best lineup they've had since 2004. And I have no idea why you'd want to add that many more high-profile acts. Did everyone enjoy walking around with crowds of 60,000 both days last year? If they don't add anything at this point, we have a fucking kick ass lineup and then either longer sets or fewer horrible choices/overlaps. You guys are nuts griping about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByTheWay, View Post
    If anyone raped or molested my wife or child i'd off them myself so I guess it doesn't matter. If you don't feel those type of emotions in that situation then that is you and in my opinion makes you a twisted person from a twisted state (UTAH) if that is where your from!

Hey I agree, but you know there will at least be a few more additions, there always is, and with Friday only having 33 bands it seems that it would be the logical day to add them to.

Not "griping" merely speculating

Realistically you can only see about 5-7 bands per day if you want to see the whole set. You gotta eat, have some beers, find some shade, etc. I have absoulutely no trouble filling my days with this lineup.

It can't be all things to everyone so of course there's going to be some disappointed people. If my memory's right though, there's way more cheers this year for the lineup than there was on this board last year.

I am exstatic about the line up, maybe I posted my speculations in the wrong thread. I dont think the line-up is "weak" at all. I totally DISAGREE with the first post in this thread.

there is nothing wrong with this lineup. people complain every year, i think solely because radiohead is not on the bill. either way, quit complaining cuz you will be there regardless. i will agree, i hate that its been more crowded lately. back in 2001, it was great. everyone was just chilled out.

i read they werent going to make any line up announcements till' they had their full line up ready this year..
    hopefully not cuz so far its not that great.. considering its 3 days this year!!

Yeah - most of us are not griping. Its not that the lineup is bad. It just seems thin for 3 days. There is plenty to keep me busy everyday, but I'm more worried about how crowded the stages will get during the evening sets. I'd rather have the grounds more crowded than the stage areas. It seems that the grounds start to get really crowded at around 4-5. Think about how bad it would get for a band like the Roots or Sonic Youth if there is only 1-2 other acts on at the same time.

I think we may only see 2 or 3 more additions - I think they are going to try and space things out a bit more this year.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by offyerhead View Post
    Realistically you can only see about 5-7 bands per day if you want to see the whole set. You gotta eat, have some beers, find some shade, etc. I have absoulutely no trouble filling my days with this lineup.

It can't be all things to everyone so of course there's going to be some disappointed people. If my memory's right though, there's way more cheers this year for the lineup than there was on this board last year.
    A think there are more people involved - thereofre more people excited. I think the line-up is geting about the same reaction. RHCP are the Tool of this year, just a lot more people are indifferent about them. Line-up is not the best, but certainly not the worst either
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

I see roughly about 18-20 bands a day at Coachella. Of course, not entire sets all the time, but I get too see my favorites play their entire set.

I'd like to keep doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

what! this linup is like my dream linup! except!!! where the hell is incubus? they sooo need to be there!
    im coming all the way from england for this show! i am absolutly crying with happiness if i get to go!

As I've said before, I feel like the only way to not like this lineup is if you don't know the acts on it. There are no less than 40 artists I'm psyched for. And that's before I even start discovering the 50+ I've never heard.

We can do without Incubus.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

So says Yablo and I.
    Hunting has been part of our society since the first Europeans came over and shot buffalo and Native Americans and whatnot.
    ---
    The Dive Poets

Honestly... the people complaining about this years line-up: what the hell do you want that this line-up doesn't have?

There are SEVERAL 'holy hell I can't believe they're reunited' (JAMC, RATM etc..), as well as plenty of newly established bigger names (Interpol, Arctic MOnkeys, Arcade Fire etc..), several big acts who don't play the US much (Placebo, Manu Chao, Faithless), several long time innovators (Bjork, Sonic Youth, Jarvis Cocker etc..), 80's new wave/throwback reunions (Happy Mondays, Crowded house), plenty of new and yet to be discovered upcomers (Black Keys, Noisettes, Teddy Bears, MSTRKRFT and PLENTY of others) hell they've even booked Willie Nelson!!!

This line-up covers everything. On top of that you know they're going to add lots of smaller names and a couple medium-bigger names. I swear anybody complaining about this line-up should go hang themselves and get it over with.

Verbal138 speaks the truth.

If this was a festival in Europe it would sell out minutes.

The dance tent is truly awful though.

hey guys im not sure that the line up is weak!
    in fact to be honest i think its much better than any festivals i've heard about ever... thats not just because of rage.
    i think it does have something to do with the presence of a lot of English bands, but thats just my theory.
    rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by ozvaldo View Post
    Verbal138 speaks the truth.

If this was a festival in Europe it would sell out minutes.

The dance tent is truly awful though.
    I'd say the dance tent is the only thing that's a little weak... but Hawtin is always good and MSTRKRFT are fucking badass - you should check them out if you haven't. They'll probably add some acts as well, but even if they don't at least you won't have to worry about missing all of the amazing acts to catch someone in the dance tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbal138 View Post
    I'd say the dance tent is the only thing that's a little weak... but Hawtin is always good and MSTRKRFT are fucking badass - you should check them out if you haven't. They'll probably add some acts as well, but even if they don't at least you won't have to worry about missing all of the amazing acts to catch someone in the dance tent.
    The dance tent where I hang out the most. I love TiŽsto and PvD, but they do play here quite a bit (now if it was a 4 hour TiŽsto in Concert, that would be different). There's some good stuff, but where are acts like the Chemical Brothers or Daft Punk? So, yeah, for me the lineup is kind of weak. The Sahara could really use some punching up.

i've always counted on Yookeroo's icon being Brak. Will i get used to thing 1? Probably not.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by offyerhead View Post

touche.

PS, I totally agree with you guys about the sahara. Last year I ended up spending most of day 2 there, and although Oakenfold and Madonna are a little monotonous and mainstream for me, where the hell are Daft Punk, Mylo, Infusion, and Kaskade?!?!

[but props for Felxi da Housecat]

The line-up may not "floor" you on first viewing but it's extremely solid once you take a closer look and get over the fact that some of the bands people have been dying to see there aren't on the lineup (Shins, Modest Mouse, Boards of Canada, Portishead, etc.).

That said, people have come to expect GV to pull "rabbits out of their hats" 'cause they've done such a great job. Expectations are high. Personally I was fully expecting them to book Gorillaz, Husker Du or some other seemingly improbably act. But, there is still time for a couple surprises to be added ...