Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Justice - where did it all go wrong?

Default Re: Justice - where did it all go wrong?

In their defense, they are the pinnacle representation of "French Culture." I mean. They wear leather jackets.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Yeah, this was all around very, very annoying. Being 25 minutes late (the longest I've ever waited for a Coach set), only playing 30 mins, having the sound cut out, and basically playing 3 10-minute mixes, 2 of which were not even the best songs (A/V/D and DANCE). The first song "Genesis" was definitely the best but it was downhill from there.. this was also their 3rd time at Coachella and their second album, while having a few good songs, is definitely a bit lackluster, especially now that most of their fans from "back in the day" 2006-2007 have not only already seen their show (I've seen it 2x before) but have come to expect much more from music and shows than the same old junk...
    That said, I still managed to dance and enjoy what there was of it. It just needs to be said that they majorly blew a huge opportunity. Hopefully they get it together for next weekend, kinda bummed I won't be there to see it...
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I am not ashamed to say I was going bonkers at Justice
    Same

I didn't even realize they went on late. I was exhausted and drunk at this point but I had fun. More so then I thought I would. I also managed to lose my Black Canon ELPH 300HS with pictures from my SE Asia Trip on it in the beer garden during this time. If anyone picked it up please PM me or return to Lost and Found.

Found a camera with pictures of some dude with a 14 year-old Thai ladyboy. Was that you?
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I had a pretty good time the first 20 minutes of their set, but they just arent the best at mixing songs. I felt like i was watching an elementary school orchestra and wincing because they're going to mess up.

Playing the chords to DANCE? Is that even slightly impressive? And im glad you guys agree, AVD was played for far too long...I think it dropped 3 times.

have we already forgotten how 2011 was riddled with delays? near as i can tell this is the only set of the entire weekend that started late enough for people to complain.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Though I originally planned on showing up early, I ended up coming late. Apparently that was a good decision. I thought it was fun, a lot of fun.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Hopefully this means they won't play Coachella again for several years, leaving room on the budget for acts like Underworld, Moby, and/or Basement Jaxx, none of whom have played the fest in 9 years now whereas Justice have played three times in the last 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

I finally attended Justice's set this year. I didn't think it was a bad set. I mean, I liked the lights and I had some fun dancing about... But it definitely wasn't as good as it could have been (especially setlist-wise). I probably will never see them again.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Though I originally planned on showing up early, I ended up coming late. Apparently that was a good decision. I thought it was fun, a lot of fun.
    same here. watching the webcast on youtube right now i'm suddenly reminded they fucking played helix, and that track is fucking GREAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

I thought what little they got to play of their set was awesome. I'm marginally less bummed about the Coachella set difficulties since I'll be catching one of their full (i.e. non-festival) sets although I do agree that it was an opportunity squandered. Not necessarily their fault, though.

I've been a fan of Justice since the begining, although recently I have lost a bit of interest with that kind of music. I liked the sophomore album, but it was nowhere nearly as powerful as The Cross. But I think that it's because electro was so in the moment and now it isn't anymore. I say all of that because in order to criticize I want people to know that I'm not just a hater. So I have to say that their set this last weekend was very dissappointing compared to the The Cross tour. You could buy the recording of this tour and it's absolutely amazing if you're into this kind of music. It was full of creative mixing and a wide variety of drum patterns that were not original on the tracks. There just was a lot more energy. It was lame that their stage basically looked exactly the same except for the keyboard opening and they they opened with Genesis. I just expected more since they made it seem like in this new album they were going for a sound that required more instrumentality.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    While I agree, there is nothing more pathetic than defending a Jackstraw post.
    But... didn't you just kinda defend a jackstraw post too? Or does second-degree agreement not count?

you're so fucking adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    The first song "Genesis" was definitely the best but it was downhill from there.. the same old junk...
    Pretty much there is where it went all wrong. After Genesis, the whole ship started to sink. They have the same set up since 2008 (at least). I did dance for the first 10 minutes but after that, not much.

i was getting my food on at this time. didnt feel like i was missing much. still dont.

Justice is garbage, their new album sucks...

Avicii should have played during that slot.

I'd take Justice over Avicii any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post

damn man you are the epitome of cheese.. pepper jack , cheddar , hell your name should be gouda

they were at their signing earlier in the day, so i didn't think they were late. still, the technical issues were pretty shitty. both during the set and i guess beforehand. it happened to a few others as well iirc (breakbot, morgan page).

that being said, i thought their set & lights/show were mediocre, but the crowd went nuts. i was pretty close in the front and the crowd made this show. still had lots of fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero23 View Post
    Weekend 1.

Reasons:

Weekend 2 is Imposterchella.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post

Just curious about something. What do you think of Tiesto, Ferry Corsten, Armin van Buuren?

Quote Originally Posted by Josesativa View Post
    damn man you are the epitome of cheese.. pepper jack , cheddar , hell your name should be gouda
    that post is roquefort

Lurker

Justice was super weak...luckily I timed it perfectly as I saw NERO in the Sahara and because of the Justice delay & the overlapping set times, by the time I got to the main they were just about to start so I didn't have to waste 25 min. sitting around. stayed for about 20 min. and was very underwhelmed. it seemed like they played "Civilization" & "D.A.N.C.E." for over 10 min. each...my entire group was looking around at each other like, "uh, are they still playing this song?" very slow developing, little to no flow, zero visuals, and just plain blah all the way around. maybe the delay fucked the whole thing up, who knows...I can only review what I saw & heard.

obviously we headed straight to Girl Talk, where we were pretty close, right under a speaker tower with plenty of room & had an all out dance party...it was perfect! some of my other friends went to Calvin Harris in the Sahara and said it was absolutely miserable because of how packed it was.

moral of the story: skip Justice, skip Calvin Harris, see Girl Talk...I guarantee you & your friends will have a lot more fun.

and in general, when it comes to EDM at this Coachella, the only peeps I'd make a point to absolutely see no matter what are Flying Lotus, SBTRKT, & Modeselektor...all of whom had pretty small crowds, interestingly enough. I'd put Sub Focus on there too, but who's gonna miss Radiohead?? I will say that Swedish House Mafia put on a very entertaining set with sick visuals & pyrotechnics, if you go in w/ the understanding that it's a completely pre-programmed set (i.e. look at it more as a show & eye candy then an actual live music performance)...and that's coming from someone who doesn't even like their music, but it was fun & not quite as cheese-house as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by lt.roast.a.botch View Post
    I didn't even realize they went on late. I was exhausted and drunk at this point but I had fun. More so then I thought I would. I also managed to lose my Black Canon ELPH 300HS with pictures from my SE Asia Trip on it in the beer garden during this time. If anyone picked it up please PM me or return to Lost and Found.
    You come back from a trip to South East Asia and can't even be bothered to download your pictures to a secure location? You get no sympathy from me.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    But... didn't you just kinda defend a jackstraw post too? Or does second-degree agreement not count?

you're so fucking adorable.
    I really hope that's not the best you can do, considering this is all you do.

Their crew spent a lot of time going to the center console and back again, so I can only assume it was tech stuff. I loved what they ended up putting out, and there were nods to several other songs people are skipping over.

Phantom, Horsepower, Canon, DVNO.

I'm bummed stuff went south, and I'll definitely be watching the stream for this coming weekend

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    You come back from a trip to South East Asia and can't even be bothered to download your pictures to a secure location? You get no sympathy from me.
    Its downloaded. Just using those pictures as a way to ID my camera. Do I get your sympathy now?

I still went fucking ballistic when the cross lit up for genesis. But I'm not gonna lie no stress was some bullshit. How tge he'll could they not play it.

All in all I loved it but I'm hoping to see them again for a full set. Getting my leather jacket with a cross on the back and my vinyl signed was fucking awesome though.

All you need to know about Justice this year is GIRL TALK!!!!!!!
    Coachella is a place beyond conventional geography, a time not measured in hours or minutes, an experience, a state of mind, an attitude, and a holy form of expression. The Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival is an annual festival put on by Goldenvoice in Indio, CA. Please don't confuse the two.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimesceneCookie View Post
    I really hope that's not the best you can do, considering this is all you do.
    I wish I could say the same thing to you but the truth is I don't actually hold any hope of anything better from you.

btw, Can I ask how old you are?