Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaskade

Default Re: Kaskade

here is my clip i filmed of kaskade's set. start it at the 3:21 mark
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

wow those david guetta clips are awful.

kaskade was the most fun i've ever had, something that i'll remember for the rest of my life. just freaking unbelievable!!!!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by michaele View Post
    kaskade was the most fun i've ever had, something that i'll remember for the rest of my life. just freaking unbelievable!!!!!!
    man after dancing my ass of to SBTRKT and catching the first song of miike snow wow just wow did kaskade shit on miike snow . it was no contest. stayed for an hour and half singing along , his sound is incredible , his production skills are top notch and his stage presence and performance was how every act should take notes on that plays in the sahara

i literally cannot believe how fantastic it was and how much fun i had, especially at the first half because there really weren't that many people there to start out. his next show in sf is on my birthday and after saturday, there's no doubt what i'll be treating myself to, it's a coachella miracle

Kaskade is good for people who like Kaskade. I enjoyed the first 20 min, then left to see Subfocus. Subfocus killed. My friends didn't like the rest of Kaskade...but they don't normally listen to him anyways...

I'll be at Marquee this Saturday, so I don't feel like I missed out on much.

Lurker

Man, I was pretty disappointed with Kaskade. Ive been listening to him for a couple years now and been to many of his shows and they were all just a great time but this time around it was just sad. The entirety of the first hour was pretty much not his material, which was weird because usually doesnt do that. WE CAME TO SEE KASKADE. Not to mention the place smelled like rotten ass and bros so I left for Sub Focus, GREAT DECISION.

Quote Originally Posted by emoassnolan View Post
    Kaskade is good for people who like Kaskade. I enjoyed the first 20 min, then left to see Subfocus. Subfocus killed. My friends didn't like the rest of Kaskade...but they don't normally listen to him anyways...

I'll be at Marquee this Saturday, so I don't feel like I missed out on much.
    I just saw on the Marquee's website that he is opening his tour at a ballroom Memorial Day weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

What are you retards smoking? That was hands down the worst Kaskade set I've ever seen/heard. If you disagree, you probably just started listening to him, or you spent the entire weekend in the Sahara, thus rendering your opinion utterly invalid.

Why the fuck did he play strictly awful electro?
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

^ +1
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

Banned

i think you guys just took bunk drugs... kaskade shit on alot of people that weekend. probably over someone you thought was good... but in the end it's all opinions.

'oh you didn't like the music someone is playing? go fucking walk out and find somewhere else to be a bitch'

his set was just ok...his new visuals GOD AWFUL!!!!!! the stage at identity was MUCH better. AWFUL light show!!! i HAD to turn around and look at the 'zombies' behind me, at least they were interesting
    No Shirt
    No Shoes
    No Dice

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josesativa View Post
    i think you guys just took bunk drugs... kaskade shit on alot of people that weekend. probably over someone you thought was good... but in the end it's all opinions.

'oh you didn't like the music someone is playing? go fucking walk out and find somewhere else to be a bitch'
    Butthurt bro alert

I speak the truth, get mad about it if you want, won't change a thing.
    Fuck "themule"

I stayed at Kaskade for the first 20 mins. Eyes was alright to start off but then I thought the set took a nose dive. Plus there were some terrible human beings in the Sahara tent, I had to get outta there. Tons of better EDM this weekend than Kaskade.

Enjoyed just as much as modeselektor.
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1

he took a shit on shm et. al. not sure when people decided to loop kaskade into the shit edm category.

Maybe he was better than shm and friends but that was still easily the worst kaskade set ive ever seen, too much pop, and too much crap everyone else was playing. Not even close to as good as my two favorite dj sets of the weekend: modeselektor and flying lotus. Put me off from seeing kaskade again for a while, perhaps indefinitely. Subfocus's set was far better, wish i had stayed longer.

I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Butthurt bro alert

I speak the truth, get mad about it if you want, won't change a thing.
    but who gave you the ability to say that what you say is truth ? my girl loves kaskade since the beg. before he blew up i love his old stuff that was mostly guitar samples but i also love how huge his sounds has got .
    at the end of the day i don't give a fuck what you say is the truth , AND THAT'S THE TRUTH

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tim time View Post
    Maybe he was better than shm and friends but that was still easily the worst kaskade set ive ever seen, too much pop, and too much crap everyone else was playing. Not even close to as good as my two favorite dj sets of the weekend: modeselektor and flying lotus. Put me off from seeing kaskade again for a while, perhaps indefinitely. Subfocus's set was far better, wish i had stayed longer.
    of course mode and flying lotus were so much better . but it was a solid performance. i was there for identity in a very personal setting in vegas and as much as i loved that performance being packed in the sahara with so many hot girls with everyone dancing to their favorite songs was a very enlightening experience.

sub focus stage set up was cool but my ears just were not in the mood for him kaskade was winning the battle . just you watch kaskade will outlast most of the people who played this weekend .

Quote Originally Posted by Josesativa View Post
    but who gave you the ability to say that what you say is truth ? my girl loves kaskade since the beg. before he blew up i love his old stuff that was mostly guitar samples but i also love how huge his sounds has got .
    at the end of the day i don't give a fuck what you say is the truth , AND THAT'S THE TRUTH
    What a touching story.
    Fuck "themule"

I find actually the more drugs you're on the more you're accepting of shitty music.

Kaskade did an aggressive cheese house set, not a cheese vocal ala Robert Miles trance/house set. We got afrojack/shm/etc for the former, we need more folks to fill the latter

KasKade was amazing!

Wish there was more Trance at the event... Above & Beyond would have been amazing

Kaskade's set was HORRIBLE. How can a headliner play the same shit as the guy before him and the guy before that guy? I don't care if it's mashups, I can't even count the amount of times I heard Antidote at the Sahara. I walked out of the Sahara within 30 minutes and headed over to Sub Focus cause I know he can throw a show. Sub Focus was so much better than Kaskade.

Not the best EDM set of the weekend but he was good. He made David Guetta look like a high school kid practicing in his basement. Guetta was just terrible. But Kaskade made me get up and dance so I enjoyed his set. Best EDM set goes to Modeselektor.

and i also found it disappointing that his visuals were malfunctioning throughout the entire set...

Which weekend? The weekend 1 visuals were just fine from what I remember
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Weekend 1... one of his little square things kept turning off

Kaskade tour is a groundbreaker for electronic dance music
    The producer-DJ's booking of arenas including Staples Center has EDM artists and promoters hoping others can follow him out of the clubs and group festivals.
    By August Brown, Los Angeles Times

7:00 AM PDT, July 21, 2012

Last month, the producer and DJ Kaskade headlined the opening night of one of the biggest annual concerts in America — the Electric Daisy Carnival at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The San Clemente artist born Ryan Raddon was one of the most anticipated stars at the sold-out festival, which itself proved a testament to the growing influence of dance music across American pop culture.

But even as Raddon played his seductive electronica in front of an estimated 115,000 fans, some decked out in furry neon boots and angel wings, he was already mulling an even bigger milestone — his headlining show at Staples Center on July 27. The event, which sold out a month in advance, makes him the first solo electronic musician to headline the venue, which usually hosts huge mainstream pop and rock acts like Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Usher.

"It's going to be an emotional moment," Raddon, 41, said of the Staples gig from his suite in Vegas' Cosmopolitan resort last month. "I remember where it all came from — playing Avalon, playing to 150 people at King King in Hollywood. I can't tell you how many club shows I've done where there was a stripper behind me."

All the attention on annual dance-festival events in unconventional outdoor spaces, like Electric Daisy, New York's Electric Zoo and L.A.'s HARD series, is warranted. But their success might be obscuring an even more telling development in the evolution of electronic dance music (or EDM) as a live music market.

The recent sold-out headlining set by Swedish House Mafia at New York's Madison Square Garden, Deadmau5's set at Toronto's Rogers Centre and the successful group tour of Tiesto, Dada Life, Diplo and Porter Robinson at the Home Depot Center last year all suggest that the leading figures of this music are moving out of commandeered festival spaces and off-the-grid venues. They're dipping toes into the biggest major-market arenas operated by huge event-promoter conglomerates like AEG and Live Nation. Kaskade's Staples date is part of a 50-plus-date national tour with many sets planned for similarly scaled arenas in major cities.

These shows portend a new future for the once-marginal culture of live dance music. But they also raise a question — how to preserve a wild, free-form style of music in venues with seat numbers, luxury boxes and $15 beers?

Kaskade, in particular, is a telling test case for the integration of EDM into the existing live music infrastructure.

Over nine albums, he's shifted from orthodox house- and trance-inspired tracks into populist anthems rooted in melody, sultry chorus hooks and often performances by female guest vocalists. Other producers like David Guetta have introduced dance sounds and structures into Top 40 pop, but Kaskade's latest double-album set, "Fire & Ice," proved his potential to take the genre to mainstream listeners without changing its fundamental aesthetics.

"It's less about size than it is about content," Raddon said. "The difference is that I'm fundamentally a songwriter. When I wrote '4 AM,' I imagined flying over L.A. in a kind of sleepless glide. Now I have a chance to truly show the images that inspired the songs. So much electronica is about instruments and rhythm. I just hope we've written a good book by the end of a set."

The DJ's live shows have followed a similar trajectory. In his decade-long career, Raddon performed in the club trenches long before it became the defining sound and biggest economic story in recent live music. Starting in Chicago and San Francisco nightclubs (cities where he was raised and began his career), he transcended the club circuit into festival-headliner status and remade the scene in his wake. Industry-watchers credit his monthly 2011 gig at the Cosmopolitan's Marquee nightclub with igniting Las Vegas' trend toward high-paid DJs packing small rooms as a new model for resorts like the Wynn and clubs like L.A.'s 750-capacity Playhouse (where tickets for a recent Afrojack set ran around $100).

Huge dance shows in L.A. and elsewhere in the U.S. aren't novel. Coachella has long hosted A-list dance headliners in its Sahara Tent, and Electric Daisy's previous incarnation at L.A.'s Coliseum outdrew Coachella on a day-to-day basis. But the arena-sized venues now hosting solo EDM artists are a new frontier. If Kaskade can prove that this genre works in traditional arenas like the Staples Center (which has a maximum capacity of around 18,000), San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and Denver's Red Rocks Amphitheatre, he may raise the ceiling on what a dance artist can aspire to in live solo tours.

"From my angle looking down, this is absolutely a legitimate business," said Michael Rapino, the chief executive of Live Nation, to a panel at EDMBiz, a conference at the Cosmopolitan preceding Electric Daisy that focused on the dance music economy. "The space in general is moving into the mainstream, and if you're going to be a promoter in 2015, you'd better know how to put on a great electronic show."

Given Live Nation's recent acquisitions of several well-known dance promoters, including Gary Richards' HARD Events, and its promotion of James Barton of the UK firm Cream Holdings Limited to president of the new Live Nation Electronic Music division, it's clear that major promotion firms are looking to capitalize on the organic rise of EDM festival culture.

But if arena shows prove viable for the top tier of these artists, it could herald a self-contained system, where one promotion company can push a new artist from opening slots through club headline dates, big festival bills and, for the right acts, arena gigs all under its umbrella.

It's fitting that Kaskade would be among the first EDM artists to try a national solo tour booked in the largest and most mainstream arenas in major cities. In a genre that has historically been synonymous with drug use, late nights and unscrupulous local promoters, Kaskade is a noted teetotaler, married father of three and, along with the Killers' Brandon Flowers, perhaps the most famous Mormon in music.

His viceless lifestyle — not necessarily shared by his fans but certainly not an obstacle for them — might be living proof that the EDM genre has legs at the most risk-averse tiers of live music. After a teenager's drug death at the 2010 Electric Daisy in L.A., the arrest of Insomniac's Pasquale Rotella in connection to a Coliseum bribery scandal and Raddon's own chaotic impromptu Hollywood Boulevard set last July that started a near-riot, the corporatization of EDM might improve the genre's image among government officials, even if longtime fans worry about losing the genre's feral, self-sufficient spirit.

Not that there aren't risks in putting EDM artists in arenas as well. The premise is unproved — Tiesto's Club Life: College Invasion tour was an outdoor, group-package date with several other A-list and rising artists. Neither Skrillex nor the recently disbanded Swedish House Mafia has booked a full national solo tour of similarly scaled arenas, though Deadmau5's 2011 six-night stint at New York's Roseland Ballroom suggests he might be next to try.

The young Swedish producer Avicii, who had a monster hit with the Etta James-sampling single "Le7els," had to reschedule and downsize a planned arena tour after ticket sales were reportedly far below expectations. David Brady, the owner of Spin Artist Agency, which books Avicii, addressed those concerns at an EDMBiz panel. "Avicii has grown faster than any artist in the EDM sphere," he said. "Playing these venues was a challenge. EDM is a new format for the buildings we want, and we needed them to understand our needs." Even Rapino acknowledged that promoters and artists, dazzled by the prospect of headlining arena tours, "can get ahead of themselves."

The Avicii tour also sent a chill through some upper-tier EDM artists looking to make similar moves. "I did pause a moment after hearing about that," Raddon said "Tim [Bergling, who performs as Avicii] is a great artist, but [that tour] did cause me to scratch my head a bit. But then, I'd be in a tailspin if I were 22 and had a hit record and making more money than I'd ever dreamed of. People see the fervor around the genre and are all 'Now's the time!'"

The experience of an EDM show is also vulnerable in an arena setting. Nothing kills the vibe of a dance show like subpar ticket sales in a big venue, implying no one else came to the party. And even with a full house, taking in a sweaty dance show in a numbered, sectioned seat could derail the night out.

"Seats for EDM is hit or miss," said Phil Blaine, the head of business development at Insomniac, the company that puts on Electric Daisy, at an EDMBiz panel. "The natural habitat is open space. Once you get into seats with letters and numbers, that's not what Insomniac is all about."

There are upsides — arenas are used to accommodating huge lighting rigs, allowing for more elaborate stage productions, like those the Toronto-based Deadmau5 used at this year's Grammys telecast (and given that the second night of Electric Daisy was canceled because of windstorms, they're less prone to nature's hazards as well). The consistency of working with national promoters at established large venues streamlines a booking process that, until recently, was highly regional and fractalized.

But the overwhelming advance success of Kaskade's tour suggests that EDM's growth — and growing pains — requires the perspective of an old clubland warrior.

"I spoke to a youth group of 250 kids recently and gave them the whole long story," Raddon said. "As soon as I was done, a kid asked, 'How do I make it big?' I was like, 'Dang, you just totally missed the point.'"

august.brown@latimes.com

Copyright 2012, Los Angeles Times
    latimes.com
    Kaskade to live-stream Staples show, preps DVD
    By August Brown

4:27 PM PDT, July 20, 2012

Fans shut out of Kaskade's Staples Center set on July 27 now have another chance to see it.

The San Clemente-based producer and DJ announced that he'll live-stream the groundbreaking set, the first solo show from an electronica headliner at the venue, at sites including his homepage, Facebook and the YouTube channel of his label, Ultra Records.

He'll also be taping the show, the marquee date of his "Freaks of Nature" tour, for a DVD package planned for release later this year and will host an after-party at Exchange LA immediately following his Staples show.

The show comes off a huge run of breakthroughs for the artist, headlining the Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas and releasing "Fire & Ice," a double album set that cracked the Billboard top 20 and hit No. 4 on iTunes.

Those achievements redeemed the bad vibes left from the notorious near-riot that erupted when he played an impromptu Hollywood Boulevard set last July.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar9969 View Post
    KasKade was amazing!

Wish there was more Trance at the event... Above & Beyond would have been amazing
    Kaskade is not trance. Trance is faster and better.