Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Dear Radiohead

Default Re: Dear Radiohead

What was Radiohead's last bona-fide "hit", anyway? "There There"? I remember seeing the video for that on MTV I think.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i heard bodysnatchers on radio a few times back in 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Maybe "Optimistic." I suppose their last bonafide hit (in the States) was Karma Police.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    I'm just hoping that, since Radiohead played Coachella, everyone can shut the fuck up about them for a few years.
    Depends about the set lists from other festivals they play in 2012 are posted and how compare to the Coachellas.

Their set was amazing. Listening to it again right now and I'm still just as amazed. I feel bad for anyone who chose to go to cascade. After The Gold Rush>EIIRP was a peak life experience for me.

A peak life experience?? Really?
    For your health

Was for me, and I've already seen the bastards like six times. Nothing quite like a Coachella show with JUST the right headful of drugs, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Quote Originally Posted by KickerConspiracy View Post
    Shut up and play the hits.

Seriously, one hour in to your set you cant be arsed to play any of your older material.

What a bunch of self-absorbed egotistical assholes.

Signed,
    Everyone (except that one guy who is REALLY into King of Limbs.)
    Dear KickerConspiracy, Thank you for your post!!! RADIOHEAD SUCKED!!! WHAT A WASTE OF MY TIME!!! SELF-ABSORBED EGOTISTICAL ASSHOLES!!! RADIOHEAD IS DEAD TO ME!!!

I found Thom quite amicable and engaing.

I enjoyed myself a lot and I only recognized about 5 of the songs they played.
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

Radiohead was fantastic. Fuck teh h8ers. I was nearly sobbing for exit music.

It's ridiculous. They are one of the most requested acts yet when they play you guys whine that they only played new material. I personally love In Rainbows and I think the songs they chose to play off of KoL were all the best ones, so I was a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by Natelevmofuggaz View Post

It's ridiculous. They are one of the most requested acts yet when they play you guys whine that they only played new material. I personally love In Rainbows and I think the songs they chose to play off of KoL were all the best ones, so I was a happy camper.
    ^this

the constant annoying comments i overheard from the crowd was ridiculous.

Agreed. Good seeing you dude!

I also agree with all of this, especially Exit Music. Did not give a fuck we didn't get older material, even though it would have been cool. That set was FANTASTIC.

Karma Police sing-a-long's are always super fun too.
    waka waka

Look up the setlists from this tour. We got exactly what every other show has been getting for months. There shouldn't have been any shock to anyone, if they had been paying attention to them prior to Coachella. I saw them last month in Denver, basically the exact same show.

I still enjoyed it. It's fucking Radiohead, at Coachella. Sure, old stuff blows the new stuff out of the water, but I still enjoyed it immensely. With this having been my 5th time seeing them since the first time in 2003, in venues ranging from 10th row in a beautiful 3000 capacity theater in Chicago to 40,000 capacity outdoor amphitheater/lawn in Wisconsin, I opted to ride the Ferris Wheel during their set. A birds eye view of the magic and colors of Coachella at night set to a chilling soundtrack of Reckoner is an experience I will cherish forever.

Fucking Exit Music...

that is all
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinaturntable5 View Post
    A girl with 5 dicks, duh

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    Was for me, and I've already seen the bastards like six times. Nothing quite like a Coachella show with JUST the right headful of drugs, though.
    ^ I hadn't seen them since their KidA/Amnesiac Tour (Mountainview and Hollywood Bowl) in 2001(?) and both performances blew me away, perfect set lists for me at the time. Fast forward ten years and I didn't put a lot of effort into staying current with the last two albums. So seeing them weekend one at Coachella, I wasn't as familiar with their first several songs. BUT, this was my first time seeing them in an...altered state...and the songs were amazing. Had I been completely lucid, I might have been bummed or not honest enough with myself to admit that I wanted the nostalgia from Kid A/Amnesiac. The set worked out well for me, but I can see how other people would have been a *little* dissappointed. Having said that, now I've been revisiting the last few albums to revive what I felt during this performance. So it was a weird circle, but a full one.

Oh, and I bought my tickets during the presale hoping for radiohead (or David Bowie <----Looooong shot/pipe dream) so yeah, I am biased.

I am not a fan of Radiohead at all. I know Creep, thats it. But I love good live performances, and have heard from many friends that Radiohead is a must see live act. I planned on checking out the first 20 min or so and then heading to Sub Focus (who I am into and have seen before). Maybe it was the oppressive heat of the day and how tired I was, but I was sucked in, entranced even. The technical mastery was obvious, and the sound booth must be given props. The vocals were meh, but the band was far more active on stage than I expected. Would I pay to see them solo? Probably not, but Coachella Mainstage aka the best venue in the world made the show engaging, emotional and an overall success.

Banned

radiohead was by far the most intense band i've seen since seeing the wall at the honda center. it was an uplifting experience

old school

Quote Originally Posted by thirtynation View Post
    Look up the setlists from this tour. We got exactly what every other show has been getting for months. There shouldn't have been any shock to anyone, if they had been paying attention to them prior to Coachella. I saw them last month in Denver, basically the exact same show.

I still enjoyed it. It's fucking Radiohead, at Coachella. Sure, old stuff blows the new stuff out of the water, but I still enjoyed it immensely. With this having been my 5th time seeing them since the first time in 2003, in venues ranging from 10th row in a beautiful 3000 capacity theater in Chicago to 40,000 capacity outdoor amphitheater/lawn in Wisconsin, I opted to ride the Ferris Wheel during their set. A birds eye view of the magic and colors of Coachella at night set to a chilling soundtrack of Reckoner is an experience I will cherish forever.
    It was not the same as other 2012 shows.

-W1 had 6 songs pre-In Rainbows when other gigs had upwards of 12.
    -set was 3 songs shorter when GV would certainly give them as much time as they needed or wanted.
    -I almost consider the lack of any OKC material to be near criminal when other 2012 shows got bends material.
    -nothing the casual fans would care about until an hour into the set. Why back-load the fan friendly material when they didn't do that in other cities?
    -2004 Coachella set had some extra fan friendly material for that show, 2012 they did the opposite.
    -80% of those present could really see the band members themselves. This was fixed weekend 2, but should never have been a problem W1. Name another paid major festival appearance they've done without screens since OKC?
    -I wonder if they can even judge their own material objectively any more. KOL didn't even have the best songs they had played in the last couple years. For many fans none of the "experimental" music is nothing they didn't already do 1999 to 2003.
    -if a new band released KOL and played in in full and the tent it would have been half full.
    -I still haven't read a single fan review of anyone who's seen them for more than a decade praise that performance.

This night was one of the best of my life. IDG this thread. I also don't understand people saying that The Gloaming, Myxomatosis, Everything in its Right Place or 15 Step aren't "high energy" songs. Mr. Magpie was also much faster/jumpier live than on record. Even Lotus Flower is a dance-y song while being slower tempo.

Are we listening to the same concert? I was dancing almost non-stop for two hours. I personally WAS slightly disappointed in the set, but that was my 10th Radiohead concert. So it was more from a lame privileged view of "I've seen this so many times play something different..."

I was surrounded by first timers that were really loving every second, and that good energy permeated greatly.

Since others have posted them, this was my favorite Radiohead show: http://58hours.com/showdetails.php?e...d=2X98q84rOGCH
    Last edited by skabadelic; 04-24-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

-set was 3 songs shorter when GV would certainly give them as much time as they needed or wanted.
    -I almost consider the lack of any OKC material to be near criminal when other 2012 shows got bends material.
    -nothing the casual fans would care about until an hour into the set. Why back-load the fan friendly material when they didn't do that in other cities?
    -2004 Coachella set had some extra fan friendly material for that show, 2012 they did the opposite.
    -80% of those present could really see the band members themselves. This was fixed weekend 2, but should never have been a problem W1. Name another paid major festival appearance they've done without screens since OKC?
    -I wonder if they can even judge their own material objectively any more. KOL didn't even have the best songs they had played in the last couple years. For many fans none of the "experimental" music is nothing they didn't already do 1999 to 2003.
    -if a new band released KOL and played in in full and the tent it would have been half full.
    -I still haven't read a single fan review of anyone who's seen them for more than a decade praise that performance.

Because those of us who have been seeing the band for over a decade now appreciate that they continue to do things their way and not cater to the idiot masses who need to hear their favorite song for the umpteenth time. I haven't listened to KOL that much, but every single song from that album that they played live that night was musical bliss to my ears.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Weekend 2, they seemed a bit worn out... But Weekend 1 they were razor sharp. I'm glad that I got to see my favorite band perform at my favorite festival.

Re: the set length... Thom Yorke is not looking to make trouble. He is not Robert Smith. He follows the rules, and he does so in a tidy fashion.

i was up front.. maybe 3 or 4 rows of people back from the stage.
    3 songs into there set, and i walked away.
    just was not the performance everyone hyped it up to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    eh, youre the one in a public place reading a music festival forum thread about ganja. Expect some titties.

Quote Originally Posted by the walrus View Post
    i was right there as well... i just wanna thank you and every other retard who walked away for giving me a bit more breathing room... was crowded as FUCK

your welcome mr conformist
    no way was i sitting through their show, it was terrible..
    and at the drive ins set was way way WAY more crowded
    at least i could walk away from the terrible show that was radiohead
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    eh, youre the one in a public place reading a music festival forum thread about ganja. Expect some titties.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

-W1 Coachella had 9 pre-In Rainbows songs out of the 20 played for a .45 ratio. W2 Coachella had 9 out of 21 for .43. The Denver show last month had 10 out of 23 songs played for a .43 ratio. Considering the shorter set length, we got "the same amount" of older material relatively speaking that most other shows on the tour got.
    -Like someone else said, they were playing by the rules. They had a typical headliner time slot. Could they have been given more had they made a fuss? Probably, but it's three songs. It's not the end of the world.
    -It sounds like you went weekend 1. You got 3 songs from OKC. That's an entire third of the 9 "older songs" that were played. Considering SIX albums make up the criteria for what we are calling "old songs" I'd say you got pretty Lucky (pun intended).
    -I wasn't there in 2004. I didn't have any reason to expect the Coachella show was going to be any different than any other show on the tour. It helps going in to shows with zero expectations otherwise you get let down. You should try it, and I don't mean to sound like a dick with that. Really, it helps.
    -I went W2. W1 didn't have the side screens? If so, that truly does suck and should never have happened.
    -I have seen them for 9 years, first show 8/23/2003 Alpine Valley Wisconsin, 40,000 person amphitheater. I'll round that to a decade, and I had been listening for several years before that. Am I gaga over the newer material? Not as much as the old stuff. But they still put on a killer live show and the KOL songs sound a thousand times better and more engaging live than they do on the otherwise pretty forgettable album. I appreciate a band that can command my attention so flawlessly even after all these years. I fully praise this performance and the other I saw on this tour.
    Last edited by thirtynation; 04-24-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueJay View Post
    I am not a fan of Radiohead at all. I know Creep, thats it. But I love good live performances, and have heard from many friends that Radiohead is a must see live act. I planned on checking out the first 20 min or so and then heading to Sub Focus (who I am into and have seen before). Maybe it was the oppressive heat of the day and how tired I was, but I was sucked in, entranced even. The technical mastery was obvious, and the sound booth must be given props. The vocals were meh, but the band was far more active on stage than I expected. Would I pay to see them solo? Probably not, but Coachella Mainstage aka the best venue in the world made the show engaging, emotional and an overall success.
    I refuse to believe you're a real human

Quote Originally Posted by thirtynation View Post
    -W1 Coachella had 9 pre-In Rainbows songs out of the 20 played for a .45 ratio. W2 Coachella had 9 out of 21 for .43. The Denver show last month had 10 out of 23 songs played for a .43 ratio. Considering the shorter set length, we got "the same amount" of older material relatively speaking that most other shows on the tour got.
    -Like someone else said, they were playing by the rules. They had a typical headliner time slot. Could they have been given more had they made a fuss? Probably, but it's three songs. It's not the end of the world.
    -It sounds like you went weekend 1. You got 3 songs from OKC. That's an entire third of the 9 "older songs" that were played. Considering SIX albums make up the criteria for what we are calling "old songs" I'd say you got pretty Lucky (pun intended).
    -I wasn't there in 2004. I didn't have any reason to expect the Coachella show was going to be any different than any other show on the tour. It helps going in to shows with zero expectations otherwise you get let down. You should try it, and I don't mean to sound like a dick with that. Really, it helps.
    -I went W2. W1 didn't have the side screens? If so, that truly does suck and should never have happened.
    -I have seen them for 9 years, first show 8/23/2003 Alpine Valley Wisconsin, 40,000 person amphitheater. I'll round that to a decade, and I had been listening for several years before that. Am I gaga over the newer material? Not as much as the old stuff. But they still put on a killer live show and the KOL songs sound a thousand times better and more engaging live than they do on the otherwise pretty forgettable album. I appreciate a band that can command my intention so flawlessly even after all these years. I fully praise this performance and the other I saw on this tour.
    ^well put...bumblebee you really are the worst

Jump off a cliff.

your welcome mr conformist

IMHO, the side screens should have been a non-issue. The band had plenty of screens for you to be able to see. ?:|
    Last edited by skabadelic; 04-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.