Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Dear Radiohead

Default Re: Dear Radiohead

THEY PLAYED FIVE FUCKING SONGS OFF KING OF LIMBS. Jesus Christ, what asshole can't tolerate five songs out of 20?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

And nobody has said what "hits" Radiohead should have played. They have one fucking song that has made the top 10 on the US Alternative chart. That was "Creep." That was also their highest charting song regardless of genre. It made it to #34. The next three that charted the highest were "Fake Plastic Trees," "Karma Police," and "There There." They played two of those songs. Some people know them from the "Paranoid Android" video, and they played that song. What fucking songs were you expecting? I'm not even sure they have any "hits" aside from maybe Creep. And that was only marginal, and 20 years ago.

They're one of the few headliners who attained headliner status despite not really having any big hits. Bjork is another I can think of who headlined despite not really having hits. But, since you're wondering, here are the 3 songs of hers that have made it to the US Alternative charts: Human Behaviour, Big Time Sensuality, and Army of Me. She didn't play any of those in 2007. Nobody gave a fuck because those were marginal hits, even though the first two made the top 5 on the alt charts.

Radiohead could have at least played "Clocks," "The Scientist," or "Viva la Vida." I mean, shit, who wasn't surprised (in a bad way) about how they didn't play a single goddamn song off Under the Iron Sea or Perfect Symmetry!? Fuck you, Thom Yorke!
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Anytime someone says they didn't play "hits" in this thread, they mean Radiohead didn't play their personal setlists. Just keep that in mind and it will make a lot more sense.

The only song I am disappointed they didn't play was "How to Disappear Completely", it would have been magical at Coachella.

However, realistically most people would have probably been bored during it from the reaction these setlists are getting :-(

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by cosmia View Post
    probably one of my top 10 moments for the weekend.
    That moment is the begining of this video:

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Offspring/Pennywise/Bad Religion 8/31, Swans 9/8, Modest Mouse 9/26, Cibo Matto 10/4, The Weeknd/Schoolboy Q/Jhene Aiko 10/10, Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    FYF Fest 8/23-24, Mad Decent Block Party 9/19, Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon66 View Post
    Anytime someone says they didn't play "hits" in this thread, they mean Radiohead didn't play their personal setlists. Just keep that in mind and it will make a lot more sense.
    Well, yes and no. Obviously, I have a dream set list, and I'd love for them to play that. It's when the subset of my setlist that received a good amount of airplay isn't on the band's setlist where I consider it noteworthy.

Feral was soooooooo tight

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    And nobody has said what "hits" Radiohead should have played. They have one fucking song that has made the top 10 on the US Alternative chart. That was "Creep." That was also their highest charting song regardless of genre. It made it to #34. The next three that charted the highest were "Fake Plastic Trees," "Karma Police," and "There There." They played two of those songs. Some people know them from the "Paranoid Android" video, and they played that song. What fucking songs were you expecting? I'm not even sure they have any "hits" aside from maybe Creep. And that was only marginal, and 20 years ago.

They're one of the few headliners who attained headliner status despite not really having any big hits. Bjork is another I can think of who headlined despite not really having hits. But, since you're wondering, here are the 3 songs of hers that have made it to the US Alternative charts: Human Behaviour, Big Time Sensuality, and Army of Me. She didn't play any of those in 2007. Nobody gave a fuck because those were marginal hits, even though the first two made the top 5 on the alt charts.
    I don't know why you're fighting this battle. Radiohead became the band every hipster and his ironic t-shirt loved in the '90s. They didn't play much from their '90s-early 00s stuff. It's not like Radiohead needed a map to figure out that there's a lot of demand to have a setlist that includes a lot of that stuff. They chose not to, they chose to play more newer stuff. Not saying they should be tarred & feathered, but this is basically a classic complaint concert goers have with bands in general. There's nothing mysterious about why people would be disappointed.

Re: Bjork. Ah, this is a good counter example. Yes, definitely the most analogous headliner I can think of, and I'll admit, I didn't perceive her at all the same way. I suppose go ahead and use that for fodder for arguments.

One thing I'll say though: I've spent considerably more time listening to Radiohead albums than Bjork albums. It's not like I'm a Bjork superfan. I do however consider her to be about the most powerful live musical presence I've ever seen, which as far as I understood, was the reason why she was a headliner. It's never been the same with Radiohead. Yes they praise the live show, but first and foremost this is a band known for its songs and albums. Put it this way: Were it a question of these two artists playing a set of covers, I'd pay to see Bjork in a heartbeat, and wouldn't necessarily be at all excited about seeing Radiohead. Do other people really feel differently?

UGH! Really? We are bringing top 10 chart lists to the table?! Radiohead was THE BAND that I came to Coachella to see the most. Fortunately I enjoy a little of everything because their set let me down big time. They seemed out of sync with each other..or weren't feeling the atmosphere..or something.. To me, it appeared as if Thom didn't feel like singing all that much. I can't exactly pin it, but it wasn't what I had anticipated for. Thought he was going to cry when he paused to say something to the audience. I'm a huge fan of the band, but didn't feel connected to the performance at all.

^ W1 or W2?

I don't regret missing them in 2004 anymore. W2's set was better than W1 however (could have been the weather).
    Coachella 02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,12,13,14,15!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Radiohead could have at least played "Clocks," "The Scientist," or "Viva la Vida." I mean, shit, who wasn't surprised (in a bad way) about how they didn't play a single goddamn song off Under the Iron Sea or Perfect Symmetry!? Fuck you, Thom Yorke!
    lulz
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

the hits = songs i want to hear
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

/waiting for "I never realized how horrible radiohead was until now" thread

Quote Originally Posted by reijk View Post
    I don't know why you're fighting this battle. Radiohead became the band every hipster and his ironic t-shirt loved in the '90s. They didn't play much from their '90s-early 00s stuff. It's not like Radiohead needed a map to figure out that there's a lot of demand to have a setlist that includes a lot of that stuff. They chose not to, they chose to play more newer stuff. Not saying they should be tarred & feathered, but this is basically a classic complaint concert goers have with bands in general. There's nothing mysterious about why people would be disappointed.
    Can't wait to be that big and true of a Radiohead fan that I can simultaneously complain about hipsters falling in love with them and the fact they didn't play enough of said songs that the hipsters fell in love with, can you teach me to listen to music better?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

is there any word that is more played and useless than "hipster"? I kind of shut off any ability to reasonably listen to a person who uses it.

^ i believe there is a thread here about this topic

Quote Originally Posted by skabadelic View Post
    is there any word that is more played and useless than "hipster"? I kind of shut off any ability to reasonably listen to a person who uses it.
    Same here. It's really boring.

bros are the new hipsters

beatnik, hippie, punk, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Weekend 2

whew

Quote Originally Posted by Phunkevil View Post
    Same here. It's really boring.
    Hipsters...
    Youth, you son of a bitch, where did you go?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    so I assume you've never been cunt punched at a festival? Well lucky you!

I'm totally on board with you, but she absolutely did play Army Of Me. I may have been on like nine hits of ecstasy and crying my eyes out, but I remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

^Yep, and not to drag this out even more, but of the 16 songs she played in 2007, 11 of them were (or would be) released as singles. That's pretty much the opposite of playing deep cuts or songs that only hardcore fans would be familiar with.

Set list I found says she didn't play Army of Me, but I'm brown and could have read it incorrectly.

I never said she played deep cuts. I said she didn't play hits. Because they were singles, that doesn't mean they're hits.

Set list I found says she didn't play Army of Me, but I'm brown and could have read it incorrectly.

I never said she played deep cuts. I said she didn't play hits. Because they were singles, that doesn't mean they're hits.
    Ok, I'd still argue that Bjork still played more of her "hits" than Radiohead did, if she even has any. Hyperballad, Army of Me, Joga, Bachelorette and All Is Full of Love probably come closest to fitting that description. I really doubt anyone cared if she did or didn't play Human Behaviour.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    can you teach me to listen to music better?
    FLAC files, quality headphones, and acid
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.