Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7 Types of People at Coachella

Default Re: 7 Types of People at Coachella

ITT: People not understanding kroqken.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    This isn't Bro v Wade.
    It was surprising when Justice Scalia thought the Cornhusker Kickback had anything to do with this.
    Last edited by buddy; 04-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I am a music lover. Also, I never use illegal drugs, nor alcohol or cigarettes.
    I can back Ken up on this. He was first in line on day one, but lost the crowd a bit by telling them he invented the question mark.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Is he wearing a bath robe?
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I think it's Doc Brown's coat from Back to the Future.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Great post OP! Most of the types have you nodding your head, except haven't been aroudn the 'industry folks' or seen too many Mom's with babies. Both the young kids and jocks you talk to often have no idea who the hell is playing when you casually ask who they are excited to see. Also had a random young kid ask me for Molly and then his parents scold him for talking to strangers, while I tried to get him to speak more clearly about what the hell he needed!
    Last edited by Hawkings; 04-17-2012 at 07:20 PM.
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Lurker

Ha ha, I took it all to be pretty funny. Nothing about Coachella can be taken too seriously, it's a music festival that encompasses the general public. As a school teacher, I know all about the various aspects of different walks of life, but that doesn't stop me from teaching the children. I go to Coachella to be free of judgement, to dance and let go of the norm of everyday life and schedules. My daughter spends quality time with her grandparents and my husband and I get to have some quality adult fun. I go for the music, for sure. But I also go to hook up with old friends, to party (not as heavy as the 20 year olds---but we get a good buzz going to add to the fun), and to people-watch. It's fun watching people have fun. I like seeing all of the tattoos and shirtless Bro's. They make me laugh. I don't give a rat's ass about the people behind the barricades, and I worry a little about the kids partying too much. But honestly, I am glad to see the younger generations there. We all need to break away, listen to good music, dance and see the desert sky sometimes. To tell you the truth, I'm fucking TIRED!!! It's a marathon event over the three days. Don't judge, we're all in it together.

P.S. My friends and I always say, "Watch out for the baby, please!" When we're chillin' and people are crowding around or trying to walk through. It totally trips people out and is fun to do, except of course if there really is a baby.

I admittedly went for some boardie meet-ups. I'm ashamed that my 99% music wasn't fully there this year. Le sad face

Quote Originally Posted by Originalbob View Post
    I'm ashamed that my 99% music wasn't fully there this year.
    Is this a riddle?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I personally thought it was pretty spot-on, just in the sense of some pretty distinctive groups of people with various motives/interests for attending. I would say, however, that everyone goes for the music to some extent.

Also, I would sub parents/kids for attention mongering "celebretantes". When I google "Coachella 2012" I can't believe how many articles are on what Katy Parry or Rhianna (sp?) wore for the weekend. Maybe they fall into the Industry Asshole category?? Kids on ecstasy? These people are paid way too much attention. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Fucking bros getting all pissy on this board like they've got a point to prove. Sorry, bro. This is the one space where you'll get pulled down from your white, heteronormative, gym-toned, misogynistic pedestal.

The camping area was shite this year. I haven't seen that much fucking beer pong since college.
    I asked some douchebag to turn down his shitty dubstep at 1:30 am next to my tent and he got all pissy and asked me how old I was.
    Dude, I'm 29. I'm a decent, mellow person who made a simple request. Don't turn this into a human rights issue, bro. This isn't Bro v Wade.

This was my eighth Coachella, and I've always gone for the music. And nothing but the music. I had a blast this year, and being annoyed at jocks doesn't define my 2012 experience by any stretch, but wandering through a crowd of people who looked like the dumbest people from my high school left me feeling non-plussed.
    Quote for the truth

Your 7 categories seem more accurate for Coachella a few years back. One major category I find missing, and I found to be the plurality of attendees this year is:

Posers

They're basically the opposite of Music Lovers. It seems that *everyone* and their mother knows what Coachella is, and how it's the hippest fest in the world. And now everyone and their mother wants to go to Coachella. They tweet/Facebook all about being at Coachella, but probably never make it to the festival grounds until 6pm, spending half the time in the beer garden, and catching on average 2.5 sets per day.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

There is another one our today called 8 More types of people and has a screenshot of the forum as one of the "types" Did anyone post about this already?

http://www.funnyordie.com/lists/122b...e-at-coachella

8 More Types of People at Coachella
    By Dashiell Driscoll April 10, 2013 | 27,142 Views
    Celebrities are normal people and do drugs at Coachella just like the rest of us.
    Social OFF
    [Pin It]
    Mentally Unstable Rich People

c1b.jpgThe majority of Coachella attendees fall under this category. Only insane people would willingly surround themselves with chaos, loud noises, bright lights and life threatening conditions. Usually you have to join the army for that. And the whole thing is far from cheap. By the time you’ve paid for a ticket, lodgings, transportation, narcotics, breakfast, a cool t-shirt and sunscreen you're looking at a four digit price tag. But if you can handle crazy, and don’t mind being broke for the second half of April, get involved! I can’t think of a better way to part with hard earned salary or hardened sanity.
    Celebrities on Drugs

c2a.jpgCelebrities are normal people just like the rest of us. They pump their own gas, buy their own groceries and do molly dips at 5pm in the beer garden at Coachella. Every year pictures surface of a famous person doing something illicit with their friends at the show. It’s so sad. Not the celebrities, but the paparazzi that waste perfectly good tickets trying to “bust” people doing drugs. Guess what, photogs? A human being on drugs at Coachella might be the least shocking image you can publish at this point. Show me a picture of anyone reading a book in the middle of this thing. It would blow my fucking mind.
    How to Destroy Bathrooms

c3a.jpgUse any bathroom at Coachella at your own risk. At best, it will be tolerable. More often than not, you just entered the seventh circle of diarrhea hell. It is both confusing and humbling to see where people manage to get their fecal matter in such abundant quantity. I don't personally know the folks who commit these unspeakable acts, but I am certain they’ll be back. One thing they don’t teach you in grade school: if you take psychoactive drugs, there’s a good chance your body will realize something is up and attempt to flush the contents of your stomach at some point mid-trip. So just mentally and emotionally prepare for doing that in conditions that make Vietnam look like Disneyland.
    Electronic Music Snobs

c4a.pngThere are some amazing electronic acts coming to Coachella this year and they’re bringing along some of the most annoying fans on the planet. These people think they’re better than you because they buy their songs on Beatport instead of iTunes. And they call them, “tracks,” not songs. They love a group until they’re popular then resent them for their modest success. They think certain styles of dance music are objectively superior to others but they don’t much care for dancing. Electronic music snobs are the worst, they're basically the latest iteration of the hipster. Look, leaving comments on SoundCloud doesn’t make you a founding member of Kraftwerk and “Future Bass Glitch” isn’t a genre just because you say so. Relax. Maybe just stay at home critiquing Boiler Room sets if you can’t handle hanging out in a crowd without being a smarmy dick.
    People Ready to Harlem Shake

Screen_shot_2013-04-10_at_4.03.36_AM.pngThey’ve been training since February. They know exactly when the drop occurs. Eager to experience a meme in real life, they’ll attend Baauer’s 3pm set with one purpose: do the Harlem Shake. When he plays it, and he will play it, people are going to lose their shit. Literally. Water bottles, backpacks, cell phones- if your friend is dumb enough to toss any of these things in the air over a song, make sure you relieve them of ownership before the set begins. That decision might be the only thing that saves you from spending your afternoon looking for car keys.
    Coachella Forum Members

Screen_shot_2013-04-10_at_4.43.37_AM.pngThere’s nothing quite like the Coachella message boards. It’s a hostile environment filled with endless speculation, baseless rumors, derisive comments and lackluster storytelling. It’s like reality TV, except you read it and it’s more entertaining. Once a year, these people take a break from arguing about Daft Punk to go outside and see what the weather is like in Indio. But why devote so much time to something that seems so negative and pointless at a glance? It’s all for the greater good. As far as they’re concerned, every great band booked or positive change enacted happened because of a thread they started or a post they made. Surely the Coachella staff reads every single one! It’s not like those guys have any important work to do or anything.
    People Who Never Leave the Sahara Tent

Tc7a.jpghe Sahara tent is a festival within a festival. Electronic music has spread to every stage at Coachella, but the Sahara will always be a bastion of non-stop and unabashed raving at the far end of field. It’s ecstasy in every sense of the word, especially that sense of the word where you swallow a pill called ecstasy and dance for 8 hours. A dedicated group travels there every day when gates open and they don’t leave until the music stops. Their schedule has no conflicts because they have no idea who’s playing. They’re all committed to the same nebulous mission of sustaining this temporary neon reality while keeping the outside world at bay. I hope they stay safe, stay hydrated and stay employed next week if their friends decide to post Vines over the weekend.
    People Hiding Drugs in Their Underwear

c8a.jpgThat picture on the left is an “Amnesty Box” the local police set up in case you want to hand over your illegal drugs before entering the festival. It’s a super funny joke and you’ve got to give them credit for keeping it going all these years. Way to commit. Drugs are technically prohibited at Coachella, but everyone who wants to take them manages to get them in. They all use the same method of smuggling. I call it the Underpants Railroad. Every joint you smoke and every powder you ingest at Coachella probably travelled through the gates just millimeters away from a good friend’s genitals. If it makes you feel any better, those high quality substances are the end result of massive cartel bloodshed along the border and child labor in jungles. Once you can get past that, a little ball sweat between pals shouldn’t be a deal breaker for having the best night of your life.
    Last edited by CaseSensitive; 04-10-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

What a quality post, old man (OP). Good shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Jesus fucking Christ, who the hell is this Godspeed asshole?

lmao i like how the only thing that even comes close to describing me is #7

I don't even come close to a bro or a hippie.