Thread: Commuting from Palm Springs to Indio

Default Commuting from Palm Springs to Indio

Hey everyone - I'm flying to Palm Springs and staying close to the airport. Is there a shuttle that frequently runs from Palm Springs to the concert site? I heard there is a bus that takes you like 3 miles away from the venue, but it stops at like 10pm. Any info would be appreciated...taking a cab there and back for 3 days doesn't sound too economically appealing.

Lurker

Default Re: Commuting from Palm Springs to Indio

I second this question. I'll be staying in Palm Springs with a few friends and we'll have a rental car. I know there are numerous threads on this very topic, but the responses range from unanimous decrees of "it will take you hours to get out of the parking lot and after sitting in traffic you'll get home at 4am", to "it's a 30 minute drive". According to mapquest, my hotel is about 25 miles from the venue. Now an hour or two over 25 miles I can live with, but 3-4 is pushing it. Can anybody with real experience help me out? Thanks.

There is no shuttle, & the cab ride would be VERY high. I live 3 miles from the airport, and it costs $20 each way for me to get to the airport. Renting a car is the best way to go. There is the Sun Bus, it may drop you off a mile or so from the venue. I'm not sure as I have never taken the Sun Bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

for the past three years, i've stayed in palm springs. i've stayed at the palm springs country club, which is basically at the intersections of n. farrell drive and e. racquet club road (google it if you'd like). that location was probably 10 minutes away from the airport, if that. and it was a little longer to get to the 10, via gene autry trail. but once we got onto the freeway from there, the ride to the polo grounds wasn't more than 45 minutes. we usually left early in the afternoon - probably somewhere around 12-ish. we never encountered problems with traffic getting in; usually our biggest problem was waiting to get onto the grounds, by foot.

getting back to palm springs was another argument. once again, the drive wasn't that bad, but sucked only because you were outside all day long, tired from being on your feet, and you had to drive another 30-45 minutes or so back to palm springs. the one problem everyone who drives and chooses to leave about an hour before the last act is finished is traffic, obviously. this can take anywhere between 10 minutes (i've done it twice so far!) and TWO HOURS (2004, anyone?). but this doesn't have to do with the commute to palm springs.

any more questions, please don't hesitate to bring 'em to the table!
    "I really like Arctic Monkeys, though the indie douche hipster squad likes to scoff at them now."

Well, we are 21 and 23 years old, so renting a car is going to be a no-go since you have to be 25. Plus, I know I will not be in any condition to drive to or from the venue, and taking someone else's life because I want to save money on a cab fare is re-fucking-tarded. We are staying at Marquis Villas and Resorts, which is about 2 miles from the airport. As popular as this festival is, there has to be some sort of shuttle to and from the venue. If not, someone is sitting on a goldmine. Imagine if someone started a party bus type shuttle service that got people from P.S. to Indio and back safe....someone needs to invest in that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by foocow View Post
    for the past three years, i've stayed in palm springs. i've stayed at the palm springs country club, which is basically at the intersections of n. farrell drive and e. racquet club road (google it if you'd like). that location was probably 10 minutes away from the airport, if that. and it was a little longer to get to the 10, via gene autry trail. but once we got onto the freeway from there, the ride to the polo grounds wasn't more than 45 minutes. we usually left early in the afternoon - probably somewhere around 12-ish. we never encountered problems with traffic getting in; usually our biggest problem was waiting to get onto the grounds, by foot.

getting back to palm springs was another argument. once again, the drive wasn't that bad, but sucked only because you were outside all day long, tired from being on your feet, and you had to drive another 30-45 minutes or so back to palm springs. the one problem everyone who drives and chooses to leave about an hour before the last act is finished is traffic, obviously. this can take anywhere between 10 minutes (i've done it twice so far!) and TWO HOURS (2004, anyone?). but this doesn't have to do with the commute to palm springs.

any more questions, please don't hesitate to bring 'em to the table!
    Thanx for the info...This is my 1st time going, staying at the Palms Springs Tennis Club... I've just heard that the morning traffic to the grounds are a bitch, trying to find some short cuts would be niice!!

Disclosure - October 12 - Reno, NV.
    Treasure Island Music Festival - October 19 - San Francisco, CA.
    Portugal, The Man - October 22 - Reno, NV.
    Cut Copy - October 31 - Reno, NV.
    Phoenix w/ Alt-J - December 5 - Reno, NV.

COACHELLA '07, '08, '09, '11, '13

actually, there are some rental agencies that do allow people between the ages of 18-24 to rent cars. i did it a few years ago with enterprise rent-a-car several times. how they get you is that they charge you $10 extra a day for the rental. regardless, renting a car and being less than 25 years old is not a "no-go".

Quote Originally Posted by MOState311 View Post
    Well, we are 21 and 23 years old, so renting a car is going to be a no-go since you have to be 25. Plus, I know I will not be in any condition to drive to or from the venue, and taking someone else's life because I want to save money on a cab fare is re-fucking-tarded. We are staying at Marquis Villas and Resorts, which is about 2 miles from the airport. As popular as this festival is, there has to be some sort of shuttle to and from the venue. If not, someone is sitting on a goldmine. Imagine if someone started a party bus type shuttle service that got people from P.S. to Indio and back safe....someone needs to invest in that idea.
    "I really like Arctic Monkeys, though the indie douche hipster squad likes to scoff at them now."

Quote Originally Posted by foocow View Post
    actually, there are some rental agencies that do allow people between the ages of 18-24 to rent cars. i did it a few years ago with enterprise rent-a-car several times. how they get you is that they charge you $10 extra a day for the rental. regardless, renting a car and being less than 25 years old is not a "no-go".
    Exactly, they'll just charge you more for insurance. Usually anywhere from a $10 per day to a $30 per day underage fee. Shop around, though, because some companies are better than others about this. Enterprise and Advantage are usually the better ones, or any small local companies; biggies like Hertz and Avis are usually the worst.

Also, if you have a job and can somehow claim that you're on a business trip and are renting the car for company business, they'll often waive the underage fee.

I just checked Enterprise. They do rent for 21-24 year-olds. They charge $10 extra per day and require DL # & credit card info when making the reservation.

From noon Thursday to noon Monday, for a compact, the total (with fees, taxes, etc.) out of PSP (Palm Springs Airport) is $ 208.43 USD. This is your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Can someone who has takin a cab from the Palm Springs Airport, give me an idea of how much a cab ride would cost please!!
    Thanks

I will be staying in Palm Springs and my friend driving has a van that will have room for a shit load of people. I am sure she wouldn't mind giving you a ride there. Albeit, you would need to find a way home if you don't leave the same time as us etc...

Sun Bus is definitely the way to go unless you carpool.

a quote in doll hairs is pretty much what i am asking, we dont get in until late friday night, and a cab is our only option, other than a rental car, wich would have to be returned the next day anyway, since we are onsite camping, no need for wheels.