Thread: Best time to drive from LA to avoid traffic?

Question Best time to drive from LA to avoid traffic?

First timer here. I'm wondering what is the best time to drive out to Indio from LA to avoid traffic. Or the worst times to drive that should absolutely be avoided. I was planning to leave Friday morning at 9am.

I'm assuming that there will be tons of traffic on route 10 as you get closer. Or is this a false assumption?

Thanks!

Default Re: Best time to drive from LA to avoid traffic?

In my experience if you leave at 9am from LA, the only real freeway traffic you'll hit is in LA. The next bad traffic will be on surface streets in Indio.

Yea depending on where you are in LA, @9am you'll hit traffic through west side and downtown, but clears up shortly after the 110, then clear to Indio...you hit more traffic In Indio on the way in.

Corroborating both. If you leave at noon, you'll be in traffic through San Berdoo and Redlands and lots of street congestion in Indio. Get there early and enjoy the smaller acts and walk the venue. You'll be glad you did.

I'm heading out next Thursday, from LA, around 4 or 5 PM.. aside from people heading home from work, should I expect any late night traffic?

Quote Originally Posted by justincorpsewall View Post
    I'm heading out next Thursday, from LA, around 4 or 5 PM.. aside from people heading home from work, should I expect any late night traffic?
    Yes.
    Soulwax

Quote Originally Posted by miraj View Post
    Yes.
    omg thanx

Quote Originally Posted by justincorpsewall View Post
    Damn 4-5 is rough...commute time...2 to 2.5 hours to Ontario...then another 1.5 to 2 to the fest...then you'll be in search line for camping...I work in Ontario and live in LA so anytime after 2:30 is bad until around 7:30...be prepared.

is it best to get to the campground on thurs to avoid all the traffic & mess getting in on friday?? having a hard time deciding...any suggestions? i have never been and i am car camping. thanks

No, it's best to get to the campground Thursday because that's when most people come and it's a huge party all night long. It's the best part of camping at Coachella because people are pumped up, and there's lots of activities too.

Smile Re: Best time to drive from LA to avoid traffic?

Yeah, 4 or 5 in the afternoon you will be hitting all kinds of traffic. If you can't leave earlier, it might be best to wait until after 7p and then head out to Indio. The traffic should be much better by then.

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

this thread delivers

Leaving Indio @ 7am will suck. Leave earlier. I left PS @ 6 am on a Monday once. You'll hit really bad traffic around the 57 all the way to LAX.

leaving Los Angeles to Indio i suggest you leave either before noon or after 7pm to avoid traffic.
    I left the hotel at 11am and didn't hit much traffic. rush hour can start around 2pm-6ish
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy024 View Post
    Yeah, 4 or 5 in the afternoon you will be hitting all kinds of traffic. If you can't leave earlier, it might be best to wait until after 7p and then head out to Indio. The traffic should be much better by then.
    Ditto on this!! My GF lives in Moreno Valley(just east of Riverside) I live in LA, I commute through this all the time!!! Do NOT leave between 2:30 and 7pm Monday thru Friday, just wait till around 7:30pm and you'll get there with plenty of time, you will hit traffic but not the 50 miles of horrendous traffic from LA-Pasadena-pomona-ontario-chino. If you are coming from North/East LA I would recommend also taking the 210 E-57S-60E-10E instead of the 10...i do not trust the 10 ever. ever ever. Also, there's always sigalert.com

Coachella 2012 part deux

Quote Originally Posted by Amnesiac33 View Post
    How about reverse?? Leaving Indio Monday morning for a 11:30 am flight at LAX. If I leave at 7 will it be smooth sailing, or should we hit the road earlier??
    Thanks!
    This will suck,you should leave earlier...I commute from Riverside-LA a lot as my GF lives out east and I out west! If you have a flight at 11:30 you wanna get to LAX around 9am at the latest....if you leave at 7 it will take you forever as the commute from East to West is terrible during rush hour morning drive, i don't think you'd make it. I would recommend leaving at the butt crack of dawn,4 would be good, 6 at the LATESTto make it on time and you can chill in downtown LA and from there the airport is a short drive (25 mins?)
    Hope this helps. Good luck!

Coachella 2012 part deux