Thread: Coming from London

Default Coming from London

I'm coming over, from London, UK with some mates. This'l be our first Coachella. Whats the deal with camping, do we need to bring everything with us or are most things available onsite?

Default Re: Coming from London

Hello mate.

The on-site camping is very well behaved, everyone asleep by 1 or 2. Think there are a few nearby campsites where people tend to go for it a bit more, depends if you want the kip or not after the heat. They'll search your bags on the way in & confiscate any booze in your bags, has to be coachella endorsed liquor.

I never had anything pinched while I was there.

Plenty of places to get your food, water & so on. Make sure you buy supplies for the Monday on Sunday, as everything closed that night. . I would have swapped all my earthly goods for a bottle of water on the Monday when I had to get to the bus station

im going for the first time too im from east midlands.

fuckin bricking it!

Lurker

hey, i'm flying out from london UK too and i'd love to tag along with anyone else flying in because (at the moment) i'm flying solo since none of my mates will pay the hundreds of pounds this is going to cost. let me know if anyone wants an extra travel buddy, i'll keep an eyeball on this thread.

- Mark

Bring a TON of high grade sunscreen. My ex boyfriend accompanied me in 2005 for the first time (he was from Belfast) and he was burned so bad the people in the first aid tent were calling others over in disbelief. Later on he found that he had sun poisoning. The other UK people I camped with had similar problems adjusting to the heat.

Camping is SO much fun though, and you'll have a fantastic time. The aforementioned boyfriend was badly burned but hadn't noticed until after the Arcade Fire set, that's how good it was, so it will be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanashi View Post
    hey, i'm flying out from london UK too and i'd love to tag along with anyone else flying in because (at the moment) i'm flying solo since none of my mates will pay the hundreds of pounds this is going to cost. let me know if anyone wants an extra travel buddy, i'll keep an eyeball on this thread.

- Mark
    Hey Mark!

You're more than welcomed to join the Arcade Fire group camp we're setting up (don't know if you're a fan).

the heat is reeeeeally the worst part, i didn't get burnt in the slightest last year and was quite surprised really.
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!.......

I'm coming from Brighton, so just south of you London people.

Found really cheap flights to LA on sta travel, so me and a friend are going to hire a car and make a bit of a holiday out of it all. 10 days in total, including coachella in the middle. Going to drive the pacific highway to San Fran, see the sites. Can't wait, so excited. Although a little nervous... What will I do at a festival that's sunny? I'm so used to the Glastonbury mud!!
    California Road Trip

right now ATX (that's Austin, TX for you squares)

y'all should look to to tickets really well
    sometimes americna sites will have airfare for cheaper (b/c of cost of lviing, and dont forget to factor in your exchange rate...and since the dollar is oging to hell..all the better for y'all) This could explain why there is a frenzy of irish people planning to come..... the USD is the weakest its ever been since the creation of the Euro... acutallly... itihnk we might be hovering over the weakest we've ever been...anyways
    add the discount ...to how good the exhcange rate for you you guys and you save money. I always look for airfare for my firends in Switzerland and Ireland and looking in the right places...tends to save me a couple hundred dollars
    see kids, Lily Allen is proof, you can go from being a drug dealer in Ibiza, to a musical star, and eventually play at coachella

Cool Re: Coming from London

Quote Originally Posted by beck_edwards View Post
    I'm coming from Brighton, so just south of you London people.

Found really cheap flights to LA on sta travel, so me and a friend are going to hire a car and make a bit of a holiday out of it all. 10 days in total, including coachella in the middle. Going to drive the pacific highway to San Fran, see the sites. Can't wait, so excited. Although a little nervous... What will I do at a festival that's sunny? I'm so used to the Glastonbury mud!!
    That's pretty much our plan too, should be a great week

Default Re: Coming from Australia

yeah Aussie dollar is pretty good against the green back these days

hanging out for the presale right now.... its 3am down here (Perth, West Australia)

tickets are gonna hurt the bank account, a months rest and then up to Sasquatch I say!

Im going on my own from the london too. Anyone interested in meeting up and sorting out an english camp site either add me tomanderson27@hotmail.com or email me on tom.ta.anderson@talk21.com

Im coming from Liverpool! cant bloody wait!
    Hope to see everyone there! Im buying my tickets on saturday.

I'm still debating whether to buy a ticket, i'll be coming from Gloucester.

I have a feeling my mates will bail on me and so i'll be on my own going to the US, if this is the case can someone be my friend(s)?!

Please?

What's the deal with the first night, i heard that in the US, you have to spend your first night at a fixed address, incase you're a terrorist. Is this true?

How strict are they on IDing for alcohol as well? I'm only 19 and i believe the drinking age is 21..

Cheers

Loz

Quote Originally Posted by lozthefunkybassist View Post
    What's the deal with the first night, i heard that in the US, you have to spend your first night at a fixed address, incase you're a terrorist. Is this true?

How strict are they on IDing for alcohol as well? I'm only 19 and i believe the drinking age is 21..

Cheers

Loz

I live 6 months in england, and 6 months in the U.S... Yeah, they're incredibly strict on alcohol, but, there's always that one store...

Yeah, they say you have to spend at least one day at a fixed adress (usualy a hotel) but it's not strict atall, it's just so they know where you are if they need to arrest you or something

Anyone interested that is coming out of the US looking to share a hotel room? I am arriving Friday night and going Saturday and Sunday. PM me if interested.

My Mission Plan:

Fly from Gatwick (24th April) to Dallas transfering to Palm Springs

After the festival make my way some how to San Diego stay for a couple of days, then fly to (not sure, maybe New York) for a few days then home.

399 (with New York flight)!! - kayak.co.uk

I've got 3 friends going.

msn - coop@hotmail.co.uk if others have a more interesting route

Could've gotten that flight for 295 from American Airlines. Ah well.

Take a pen with you and hitch a ride to San Diego. Plenty of people will be going there. I'm heading off to Vegas for a week after Coachella. I love it.

Oh...and the heat isn't THAT bad. Just make sure you take some good sun block. I burn really easily - but I used a factor 15 and was fine. If you're not wearing a hat - get some of the spray on stuff and spray your scalp too. That's not nice when it's burning.

So, a ticket was bought in an impusive moment. I was a bit shocked the spontinaity, I'm usually so staid and boring.

If I'm honest? I'm still unsure about trotting out to LA for Rage Against the Machine. Yes, it was a bit silly to have grabbed a ticket without being confident of completing the trip, but my over-analytical nature returned before I had a chance to purchace a flight.

The lineup: Ace; the atmosphere: Looks a bit bland compared that of Glastonbury. But, all in all, I think it'd be a blast.

So why can't I quite get my organizational mouse moving again?

For starters, it's a fair amount of cash to spunk on a short trip, and it'd chew through one quater of my holiday leave for the year. Then there's the chance that Rage Against the Machine's "one night only" will turn out to be the first night of a string of nights (more commonly called a tour).

Another issue is the pain involved in the journey. No biggie about travelling without company, and it certainly avoids potential uncomfortable silences, but having a few people to leave London with would make the trip a bit less of a logistical nightmare. Fourteen hours on a plane is the least of it, and I don't have a clue if it's possible to oversleep your stop while travelling on a Greyhound bus.

Truth is, I'm just thinking a wee bit too much, and I need a little help with shaking common sense for long enough to book up the remaining bits and pieces. I've heard that if you blink, the cost of a flight will rise by 100.

Can anyone push me in the right direction?

I'm not the first person, and I'll not be the last person to suggest hooking up. Drop me an email on apacketofhoolahoops at hotmail dot com and shout at me until I book a flight.

Cheers,

Nick

hey,
    its good to hear so many people are flying over , if the line ups anything to go by its guna awsome , but a festival with good weather is guna be weird - used to the shit weather in reading ( not complaining about it though ) - whats everyones plans about getting there, dont really have a clue as its my first time going to cochella - let me know how you're getting over there , and tips would be great , let me know on lukewoodhatch@hotmail.com thanks , Luke

The way I justified the trip: It's not a waste of money, just a lot of money. I think of all the money I pissed away last term on partying and other useless shit... at least this trip has SOME meaning, and something I'll definitely remember (notably the RATM reunion).

Though this will not be the trip of a lifetime, it will definitely be a unique one. The culture (Mexico/Beach influence), the people you will meet, the things you will see (amazing mountain scenery, beaches in LA, desert, etc). At least I can say I will be getting something out of the $1500 I will likely spend on this trip. At least I won't have to look back and say "wow, I spent $1500 doing the same thing every friday and saturday night."

Anyway... here is what me and my 2 friends are doing: We, too, impulsively bought our coachella 3-day pass on Thurs during the presale and, of course, immediately booked our air. There was a weird silence for about an hour after we booked... maybe in disbelief, or confusion. We're going to camp for the festival (mostly because hotels are fucking expensive), then spend 3 nights in LA, and fly out on Thursday. We are renting an SUV, which is only $160US each for the 6 days.

I suggest getting a couple friends to go, and just DO IT! I don't think this trip will be regrettable in any way.
    Last edited by JCLimited; 01-27-2007 at 06:29 PM.

I've booked my 3-day-pass and camping ticket yesterday, and now I've just got to work up the courage to tear apart my bank account for the 300 flights and another 100 or so for expenses.

The plan is to get a lift down from the East Midlands to Gatwick and fly from there to Ontario City, stopping off at Dallas. Then getting a 5 HOUR Greyhound bus (are they really as bad as people say they are???) from Claremont to Indio... what a mission. Seeing RATM will be well worth the time, money and effort though, I actually can't wait

Anyone else planning the same kinda route? Email > joewoolmer@hotmail.com

Also, just wondering how much people know about the Will Call pick-up? I've had to use the mother's Visa 'cus Ticketmaster don't accept my card. Reckon I'll face any problems collecting the ticket???

Lurker

Ticketmaster say if you take a photocopy of the credit card used and photocopied ID for your mum you should be OK, especially if you have the same surname. I'd e-mail them anyway and ask exactly what to do so at least you'd have their reply to show up with at WillCall. There's another thread called Uk tickets with some useful stuff on it if you want to take a look.
    Good luck!

right, me and my mate are coming over from london. BUT, we're so fucking confused its unbelievable. there's way too much information to take in on these forums. basically, i'm yet to buy any tickets n the off chance that i cant make it. BUT, which airports are closest? which airports are closest but cheapest to get to from london? are people going to LAX? if so, how the fuck are they getting out of there??!! what dates are people going on is also a major issue, and if loads of people are going from london on the same day, then we should meet in the airport before hand... would be SO much easier for everyone wouldnt it? anyway, please add me on msn - vodkalix@hotmail.com to give me some hints, and for any other uk based festival goers to tell me what the hell to do!

Cheers....