Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So much dead time

Default So much dead time

Why does it take 20-45 minutes for every band between bands??? some astonishing ones to me

30 minutes to get rid of afrojack and move in Datsik or 40 mins to move out david gayda and move in kaskade? and at least 20 mins between all the djs, you guys are djs, just mix into each other for christs sake. seems like the time it takes to move in your huge unique lightshow is almost as long as the time you will be djing

45 mins to clear out bon iver and get radiohead on stage???
    I don't watch live music that much, is this a common thing? do all these bands have such drastically different setups that it takes a professional stage crew up to an hour to switch them out like it will to get amon tobin up and running?? just put a curtain in front of his cube drop it and go...

there are a few places on the lineup with only one act playing, mainly before the headliners come on, I guess we get a moment of silence...

your thoughts? just needed to rant about this because it seems rediculous

Default Re: So much dead time

Quote Originally Posted by evobeatsti View Post

Yup.

I don't watch live music that much,
    Obviously.
    ______
    1999, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014

Seriously dude, youtube a video of one of Radiohead shows this year.

The amount of equipment and mirror screens they have to bring in and align is absurd. I'm impressed they can do the switch that fast even.

There are plenty of of other sets and cool things to see. Take a lab around the grounds if you don't want to just sit there.
    06', 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12', 13'

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Aww I remember my 1st Coachella
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

just put a curtain in front of his cube drop it and go...
    This isn't a Deadmoo5 show
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Can't Post anymore. bummer Zafocaine's Avatar

Sunday is looking a little sparce this year. Am I tripping? I may be tripping.

Why does it take 20-45 minutes for every band between bands??? some astonishing ones to me

30 minutes to get rid of afrojack and move in Datsik or 40 mins to move out david gayda and move in kaskade? and at least 20 mins between all the djs, you guys are djs, just mix into each other for christs sake. seems like the time it takes to move in your huge unique lightshow is almost as long as the time you will be djing

I don't watch live music that much, is this a common thing? do all these bands have such drastically different setups that it takes a professional stage crew up to an hour to switch them out like it will to get amon tobin up and running?? just put a curtain in front of his cube drop it and go...

there are a few places on the lineup with only one act playing, mainly before the headliners come on, I guess we get a moment of silence...

You should just chill the fuck out man.
    Quote Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
    Jesus could be closing the outdoor stage and conflict with OutKast, and I would still be up front for Andre3000's comeback

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Aww I remember my 1st festival
    fixed it for you. not all of us 1st timers are impatient idjits who haven't seen a multiple-act lineup before. 20-45 minutes is impressively fast for a switch-over, considering the amount of gear most bands roll with now. I'm pretty down for a bit of dead time anyway. gives people time to decompress between acts

Rough Structure of a changeover

Band Finishes, stagehands, backline techs and audio techs come on, clear mics/pedals on the downstage and upstage.

Backline Risers get moved off. 5-7mins depending on amount of gear

Next Bands gear on risers gets rolled on, stageboxes are patched in and backline techs start to tape down cables for guitar looms etc.

Audio + Backline techs linecheck every channel, 9-10 or so channels on drums, 2 or 3 for bass, maybe 3 guitar amps and 3 vocals. (common rock band)

Wedges/in-ears get checked for decent starting levels as there was no soundcheck earlier. Another 5-7 mins or so.

Backline techs make last adjustments to stage making sure everything is up to scratch (providing towels, water/beer, taping setlists) 10 mins depending.

It all adds up to roughly 30 mins because of the amount of work involved, and if you want to be sure of no problems happening during the set.

But what if I have my whole set on a thumb drive? Can I just use your macbook?

the downtime for the dj's doesn't make a lot of sense because typically there aren't any breaks in between but i like a 30 minute break to use bathroom and get drinks and back to the set in time to start

...also, goldenvoice is trying to stagger some set times, in addition to all the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sddoctor View Post
    ...also, goldenvoice is trying to stagger some set times, in addition to all the setup.
    Seriously, this is the best part of this year. Immaculate planning.
    Quote Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
    Jesus could be closing the outdoor stage and conflict with OutKast, and I would still be up front for Andre3000's comeback

Quote Originally Posted by bemerritt View Post
    But what if I have my whole set on a thumb drive? Can I just use your macbook?
    Lol

Even some shitty bands playing at a bar need at least 20 minutes to switch out their gear and these artists have far more gear than your average band when they're on tour. A drum set alone takes a good 5 minutes to break down, and that's doing it quickly, and at least 15 minutes to set up properly. Then factor in a quick sound check and all the other shit that might accompany their show like custom lights and backgrounds. A 30 minute turnaround between each band is usually a scramble so I think it's impressive when they can actually stay on schedule for a whole festival.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

not sure if trolling, but consider yourself lucky. of all the festivals that i have been to, coachella has the fastest set up times by far. bonnaroo, acl, lolla take an hour in-between each performer. 20-40 minutes is a treat. it's one of the reasons coachella is my favorite festival, amongst other things.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

You are spot on. It's because the fuck heads at coachella have sold out talent for profit. It doesn't take that long for many of the bands involved to rotate in/ out. The issue is that there are not enou people booked to fill in the gaps. Coachella should be ashamed of themselves for those set times. More time to enjoy 7 dollar warm beer

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoronas View Post
    You are spot on. It's because the fuck heads at coachella have sold out talent for profit. It doesn't take that long for many of the bands involved to rotate in/ out. The issue is that there are not enou people booked to fill in the gaps. Coachella should be ashamed of themselves for those set times. More time to enjoy 7 dollar warm beer
    Again, not sure if trolling. If you aren't, you're ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

Quote Originally Posted by kimbico View Post
    Again, not sure if trolling. If you aren't, you're ridiculous.
    Hi Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bluecoronas View Post
    Seriously!?....do you only like one kind of music? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna be in more than 1 place at a time! Plus, time between sets gives you time to get to the next set at a stage on the other side of the venue, grab a beer, use the head...etc

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Aww I remember my 1st Coachella
    I'm used to edm festivals, and coachella is the slowest by far at switching out artists out of any ive seen. pretty much at most events i go to all the artists use either cd players, vinyl or computers, but they have all the equipment up on stage ready to go so when one guy is finishing the next guy goes up and mixes out of their song into his first song even if it is on different equipment. less dead time = more show time

whiney pain in butt

i still don't get the sahara set times.. there are really long gaps all day every day. been going for 8 years now and remember they would just bring the dj tables with all the gear to switch them while the other is still playing. i understand kaskade and others with their own setups but the wait time between easy set up djs.. uhhh..

pretty much at most events i go to all the artists use cd players
    He goes to events where the artists use cd players guys

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I'm used to edm festivals, and coachella is the slowest by far at switching out artists out of any ive seen. pretty much at most events i go to all the artists use either cd players, vinyl or computers, but they have all the equipment up on stage ready to go so when one guy is finishing the next guy goes up and mixes out of their song into his first song even if it is on different equipment. less dead time = more show time
    there's no wait in-between sets on the webcast. maybe you should just stay home.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    there's no wait in-between sets on the webcast. maybe you should just stay home.
    WINNER

Lurker

Seriously, i'm not a fan of electro dance music but does it really take 20 minutes to unplug one Macbook Pro and plug in another one? Just doesn't make sense to me...

Your post contridicts your love for SHM. You think those cum chuggers are mixing into the last dj? Why are they so special?
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by sport7 View Post
    Seriously dude, youtube a video of one of Radiohead shows this year.

The amount of equipment and mirror screens they have to bring in and align is absurd. I'm impressed they can do the switch that fast even.
    I really don't think Radiohead will be bringing their full arena setup to the polo grounds... and I could very well be wrong... but even if I am, that shit would have to be set up that morning. That's not a 30 minute thing.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a