Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJ question - What's the difference...?

Default DJ question - What's the difference...?

What's the difference between a live set and a DJ set? :/

Default Re: DJ question - What's the difference...?

Quote Originally Posted by ChellaLover View Post
    What's the difference between a live set and a DJ set? :/
    DJ Set: CDJs, Vinyl, Serato
    Live Set: Ableton, Traktor, actual instruments

So, let's say you go see an act like Daft Punk, Justice, Underworld, The Chemical Bros., Moby, or The Crystal Method:

If it's a DJ set, it's them playing other people's records (probably with a very minimal stage set up, using turntables or laptops or whatever).
    If it's a live set, it's them playing their own stuff, probably with an elaborate light show / stage set and live instruments or improvised arrangements.

My personal opinion: for these acts, live sets are >>> DJ sets.Watching the Chems spin records is OK, but nowhere near as enthralling as their live set. For a DJ like DJ Shadow or Cut Chemist (your hip-hop rooted performers), DJ sets are = to live sets. They may change up the production a bit, but their real skill is spinning records, any records, in their own unique style. For your superstar club / rave DJs (with the exception of say, a Fatboy Slim or a Paul van Dyk), you're almost never going to see this distinction made; spinning records to get people dancing is what they do.

Hope that helps.

So people like DJ Shoadow and Cut Chemist don't produce their own music? They just skillfully mix others'?
    and you're saying some super star club / rave DJ's like Tiesto or Oakenfold don't distinguish between dj sets and live sets, what is it then?
    I'm sort of of uninitiated to some of this, too.

Shadow does it all...watch your mouf

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Damn straight!
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

trakball

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    So people like DJ Shoadow and Cut Chemist don't produce their own music? They just skillfully mix others'?
    and you're saying some super star club / rave DJ's like Tiesto or Oakenfold don't distinguish between dj sets and live sets, what is it then?
    I'm sort of of uninitiated to some of this, too.

Shadow and Cut do produce their own music... but they also skillfully mix others' music, as well (listen to "Brainfreeze" for an example).

trakball

Except make good records nowadays

Kill yourself...I'm old.

There is no nowadays....I'm chasing the dragon back to 93 bud

trakball

I'm just as old, brill. Been on his dick since I heard his Basic Megamixx. That's why it hurts me deep inside every time he puts out another shitty record.

Quote Originally Posted by weezy f baby View Post
    DJ Set: CDJs, Vinyl, Serato
    Live Set: Ableton, Traktor, actual instruments
    Traktor is for DJing
    I'm the number one Jedi.

DJ Pauly D is always live.

Cool! Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by trakball View Post
    I'm just as old, brill. Been on his dick since I heard his Basic Megamixx. That's why it hurts me deep inside every time he puts out another shitty record.
    Let's not talk about that.

Think of the rolling stones....yes they are great....no I don't like anything past 79

trakball

Let's not talk about that.

Think of the rolling stones....yes they are great....no I don't like anything past 79
    "Tattoo You", Devo's "Freedom of Choice" and The Police's "Outlandos d' Amour" were the first three records I owned, speaking of being old

I think because the name of the program is "Live" its easy(or at least possible) for a bunch of tards like ustice to program a show and get more tards to freak out to the music. If those fucking french men had an approach more like their robot brethren they might be making good music. Cross wasn't a half bad start if..... fuck it

*puff puff pass*

Coachella excitement growing +10
    I'm the number one Jedi.

When Skrillex or Steve Aoki turn a knob once every 5 minutes, and spend the rest of the time smoking or acting foolish, is that live or a dj set?
    4/8 Summer Camp @ Echo, 4/11-13 Coachella, 4/17 SISU, Dum Dum Girls @ Roxy, 4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/4 Nisennenmondai @ Jazzhouse, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    When Skrillex or Steve Aoki turn a knob once every 5 minutes, and spend the rest of the time smoking or acting foolish, is that live or a dj set?
    It's called, "killin it, bro"

I think the smoking is live, but the knob turning isn't. Not as sure about the acting foolish. That's probably live too, but it might depend on just how foolish. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Ray del Mundo; 04-10-2012 at 09:40 AM.
    Darkside (1/25)
    Oneohtrix Point Never (2/7)
    Four Tet (3/7) / Voices from the Lake (live) (3/7)
    London Grammar (3/25)
    Trentemoller (4/5)
    Factory Floor (4/15)
    Coachella (4/18-4/20)

Luls....

Sig worthy

And Aoki throwing cakes in people's faces is definitely live

You guys are shattering my reality!

WHATS REAL ANYMORE WHEN STEVE AOKI ISNT REALLY MIXING?!?!?
    I'm the number one Jedi.

The line between live and DJ get muddied a bit with the technologies available. If you take 2 CDJs you'd immediately think (rightfully) you're looking at a DJ set. But if the DJ sets a 909 drum machine next to it, which is an instrument a live performer may use, it gets less clear.

To me it's all what they do with the equipment and how it manipulates the music. You'll see DJs play a record and only mess with the highs, mids, and lows, while the actual record plays out as normal, while some DJs will be busy sampling other records and lobbing vocals from one record over the drum beat of another. The mainstream pop DJs don't do this much...from what I hear they kinda just ram records back to back to back and save their skills strictly for transitions between records.

I saw Basement Jaxx a bunch of years back, their full-on Carnavale-esque live show, and they sampled in Eminem shouting "ain't nobody listen to techno!", which isn't something they created themselves but was a fun add-in to their show. So while "live" may indicate an artist is playing their own stuff, they can get away with playing something that isn't. "Live" usually indicates the artist is supporting a new album and are playing their new stuff for a crowd.

DJs have the freedom to play whatever they want and take their set in whatever direction they please and aren't limited to just what they've created. The Chemical Brothers the previous two years are perfect examples of this (Hell, they played "Song to the Siren" in their DJ set but haven't played it live for GOD KNOWS HOW LONG).

So to me, it's the kind of instruments you use and how you use them. How would you describe a DJ playing along with a drummer? We've seen that one before with DJ AM and Travis Barker.

footnote: best edm live acts IMO are Underworld, The Chemical Brothers, Faithless, Orbital, Daft Punk

with DJs you can go in many different directions but my two favorites are Carl Cox and Ben Watt. DJ Dan is my favorite rave circuit DJ. Miguel Migs is my favorite DJ when I'm not trying to go big as he plays a lot of deep house.
    Last edited by cured; 04-10-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Cool story bro

Did not read

Quote Originally Posted by Monko762 View Post
    Traktor is for DJing
    so is ableton. thanks for playing.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

you can't actually "DJ" in ableton, it does all the warping automatically. you can pre-arrange sets of songs in the style of a DJ. the technical term is "cheating"

I don't agree with that. Ableton does some of the work, allowing DJs (who want to) the chance to add another layer or two to what's coming through the speakers. For lazy DJs, sure.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

no, it doesn't.
    I use (for different things and in different combinations) ableton, reason, traktor, serato, FLstudio, kontakt, maschine, hardware synths, turntables, etc. the first thing ableton does is warp incoming audio to the master clock, and there is no manual real-time slip or phase correction. it's not DJ software.
    if you want to use ableton to add layers or effects that for some reason aren't available in the pretty much omnipotent traktor2 (you can already run sixteen clips simultaneously, or eight under two decks) you can route your audio through ableton, or just send the clock to ableton and route the audio to the mixer and add in production. then you're getting into a live set. which is what this thread was about.

trakball

So, frozen pilgrim, since this thread is going off topic as it is... what's your suggestion on a good, entry-level program for making beats? There's so many choices out there!