Thread: cameras... help!!!

Default cameras... help!!!

i have a t2i... i wouldn't consider it professional but i think coachella does because the lens comes off.. is there any success stories to sneaking a dslr into coachella? how do i do it? and do they confiscate inside?

Default Re: cameras... help!!!

If I see you with it I'll confiscate it.

yea.. well n e ways... anyone have a clue of how to sneak it in still? the pictures are for a writeup im doing to get onto my universities daily.. coachella didn't approve a press pass

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelnicc View Post
    yea.. well n e ways... anyone have a clue of how to sneak it in still? the pictures are for a writeup im doing to get onto my universities daily.. coachella didn't approve a press pass
    I'd assume the same way you sneak anything else in. I'd put the camera in your bag without the lense, and stuff the lense in a small bag in your pants or something. I really doubt these security guards are gonna know hat SLR bodies look like. I would also keep an eye on what guard is gonna check and see how through he is on the people in front of you.

dont bring it I have a t1i with standard lens and they wouldnt allow it last year..
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

thanks! ill just leave it in the car... can they take it in the camping zones?

No, camping is fine. It's just the festival where detachable lenses are not allowed.

You should be careful here. As someone who has been working press for the past 6 festivals (not working this year...yay!), I can tell you that you must sign a release to post photos in a press-related context. If you do post photos of Coachella, I would highly recommend that you avoid posting photos of the bands, as you don't know what their press restrictions are. If this were for your facebook profile or something, I wouldn't be worried...but, since you are using it for a press-related purpose, circumventing the press process might not be the smartest move.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12.1, '12.1, '13.1

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This year's theme is: prostate milking. Please dress accordingly.

i wish you were working press this year... maybe you would have been able to help me! like i figured coachella would be all about helping a local desert rat trying to do something with there life... but i was wrong.... just as wrong as i was about thinking ticket purchases would run smooth and that i would be compensated for frontgate taking my money hah. it was easier when i wasn't an adult and snuck in! but thank you for the advice... i think ill just stick to using pics of the festival from my go pro then since my other cameras are detachables.

yah...no worries. I'll say that there are benefits and disadvantages to having a photo pass. Of course, the obvious benefit is that you can get up-front pictures...but, photographers are pushy, especially when their livelihood is on the line. The major disadvantage is that (a) you have to work, (b) you have to lug around your equipment, (c) you are worried about someone stepping on your lens -- and they aren't cheap, and (d) you have to view the entire festival through the viewfinder. Also, you should know that for the big acts, they typically restrict who gets access to the photo area and all stages have a maximum of 3 songs or the first 10 minutes of a DJ set. My point here is that you can do a great story on Coachella with a point-and-shoot, a good eye, and some creativity.

As far as the ticket bullshit this year...yah...it sucked.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12.1, '12.1, '13.1

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This year's theme is: prostate milking. Please dress accordingly.