Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live At Sqamish Music and Arts Festival - Aug 24 - 26th Squamish BC

old school

Default Re: Live At Sqamish Music and Arts Festival - Aug 24 - 26th Squamish BC

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    The $99 tickets make up for it though.
    $125 on TM.

A subtext of this festival growing and getting better names is that the "Is Pemberton coming back?" question is slowly fading away. I also wonder how many people they can potentially fit on that logger field.

If you have Virgin Mobile (I don't, but my brother does, and you can get up to 4 tickets) tickets are $89+fees which works out to something like $107.

I read somewhere that the capacity is 12000, but I don't think they have had more than 10K on any given day before. I heard Livenation partnered up with them last year for promo stuff and this year they actually have a hand in funding a booking acts, so that explains their ability to book some bigger acts this year. It is also proof that Pemberton is never coming back (not like there was much chance now anyways) because it would be pretty dumb of them to put on a festival competing with one they already have money in.

Capacity is going to 35,000 next year, which puts it just above Sasquatch.

Considering Sasquatch just moved to 2 weekends, Live Nation sure seems to think there are a lot more festival fans in the North West.

Here's hoping they pull a fantastic lineup next year.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...904/story.html

old school

Pemberton 2008 had an official capacity of 40,000 per day. Deep down I always knew Live Nation wanted to build Squamish up to the level of Pemberton - but do it slowly.

Keep in mind the top 6 acts at Pemb 2008 were Jay Z, Coldplay, Petty, Tragically Hip, NIN and Interpol.

Squamish having headliners like QOTSA/Vampire(2013), T Hip/City & Colour(2012), Weezer/Metric/Girl Talk(2011), Decemberists/Devo(2010) show they need a bigger headliner budget in 2014.

Live Nation had nothing to do with Squamish until last year. It was originally a brand.LIVE festival (hence why it was called LIVE at Squamish), and now it's sort of a partnership between the two companies.

It will be interesting to see what kind of lineup they come up with. Pemberton had huge headliners, but also lost something like $14 million, despite coming very close to being sold out. Squamish started small and worked their way up, which seems to be what most successful festivals do. I wouldn't expect headliners like Pemberton, probably something more along the lines of Sasquatch. Pemberton was very top heavy but didn't have a lot of depth compared to other festivals around that size.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by davers View Post
    Live Nation had nothing to do with Squamish until last year. It was originally a brand.LIVE festival (hence why it was called LIVE at Squamish), and now it's sort of a partnership between the two companies.

It will be interesting to see what kind of lineup they come up with. Pemberton had huge headliners, but also lost something like $14 million, despite coming very close to being sold out. Squamish started small and worked their way up, which seems to be what most successful festivals do. I wouldn't expect headliners like Pemberton, probably something more along the lines of Sasquatch. Pemberton was very top heavy but didn't have a lot of depth compared to other festivals around that size.
    A senior employee of Live Nation told me they were about $3mil in the hole, the inaugural year was never designed to make money. The talent budget was around $14mil, with top names getting $1mil, and 2 big names getting $1.5m.

This was the full lineup of acts played. A couple acts cancelled like SIA and MGMT.

Nine Inch Nails
    The Flaming Lips
    Coldplay
    Jay Z
    Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
    Death Cab for Cutie
    My Morning Jacket
    The Tragically Hip
    Sam Roberts Band
    Metric
    Black Mountain
    Vampire Weekend
    Interpol
    Serj Tankian
    The Crystal Method DJ Set
    DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist
    Booka Shade
    Junkie XL
    Dave Seaman
    Wintersleep
    Kathleen Edwards
    Wolfmother
    Shearwater
    Buck 65
    Secret Machines
    MSTRKRFT
    Deadmau5
    Brazilian Girls
    The Fiery Furnaces
    Mates of State
    Grand Ole Party
    Carolina Liar
    Airborne Toxic Event
    Monte Negro
    Low Vs Diamond
    Annie Stela
    M.A.N.D.Y.
    Tommie Sunshine
    Chromeo
    3OH!3
    Kevin Shiu
    Timeline
    Tony Pantages
    N.E.R.D.
    Minus the Bear
    Matisyahu
    Inward Eye

I read somewhere that they lost a lot more than that, but I can't find it so I'm not going to argue.

Pemberton was a massive clusterfuck (I know, I was there). They under prepared for everything and then had to throw money at the problems to make it go away. If they got out of that only down $3 million I'd be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Oh wtf. Camping is $80 a person!? I thought it was $80 for a camping spot w/o vehicle and $100 for camping spot w/ vehicle and either way you could fit how ever many people fit in that spot. Per person though? Fuck that. I am out. I will go see QOTSA in Seattle.
    Hey Josh, I know this is a sort of old post eh. Yea, per person is sort of lame. I need to run up to Seattle this summer maybe so I might catch you and Becky... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Who is going to Squamish this year? I am looking for a ride up Friday morning (OR possibly Thursday, if I am able to get work off on Friday) and then back again on Sunday. Bonus if I am able to camp with you at the fest.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Can't make it this year...between Osheaga and the Coachella ladies beach trip I'm broke. If you want I'll ask my sister if you can stay at her place in her camper, she lives there.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

old school

Who is going to Squamish this year? I am looking for a ride up Friday morning (OR possibly Thursday, if I am able to get work off on Friday) and then back again on Sunday. Bonus if I am able to camp with you at the fest.
    Squamish Festival shuttle is $42 return to downtown Vancouver with the time frame you want. Should be sold out in the next 36 hours or so.

I'm staying in Vancouver this weekend. Might do Bluesfest.

Thanks anyways guys! I found a ride both ways and I picked up a camping ticket. Meeting up with a friend there. I should be leaving in the next few minutes. I will report back!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Thanks anyways guys! I found a ride both ways and I picked up a camping ticket. Meeting up with a friend there. I should be leaving in the next few minutes. I will report back!
    Have an awesome time!! I have a group of girlfriends that are there - wish I was too.
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.

No feedback from any attendees on this year's fest? Let us know what you thought!

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    No feedback from any attendees on this year's fest? Let us know what you thought!
    Even youtube videos are skimpy. 2 days ago I could only find video of ONE SONG from QOTSA.