Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35

Thread: When will the lineup be released?

  1. #1

    Default When will the lineup be released?

    I remember it being told earlier than this before?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    its on the coachella home page !go look dude quick!

  3. #3

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    o shit i meant set times. when are those comin around

  4. #4

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    i hear it's Monday or Tuesday...which is a little ludicrous. how you can book the same 120 bands for the same day on two consecutive weekends months ahead but you don't know what time they're playing until 3 days before?!?! it's not rocket surgery, Dragonette will be on at 12:00 at one stage or another, Jeff Mangum at 6:00, Squeeze at 3:30...etc...

  5. #5

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    thanks

  6. #6
    Member CitizenJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    878

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Considering they have to tell bands and then print out the coachella booklets with set times,in advance, I am sure they Lready 100% know who is playing when, why they don't tell us now is beyond me.

  7. #7
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    10,044

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Rocket Surgery: The Forefront Of America's Space Program
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  8. #8

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by krewechief View Post
    i hear it's Monday or Tuesday...which is a little ludicrous. how you can book the same 120 bands for the same day on two consecutive weekends months ahead but you don't know what time they're playing until 3 days before?!?! it's not rocket surgery, Dragonette will be on at 12:00 at one stage or another, Jeff Mangum at 6:00, Squeeze at 3:30...etc...
    If you get the set times, say 2 or 3 months before the event, then you really have no reason to branch out and discover/prepare for the festival by trying to listen and learn every band on the lineup. If, for every set you see there's at least 4 your don't, then you're only really seeing one fifth of the lineup (not including dome/do lab.) Not releasing the set times super early compels me to seek out new bands instead of just settle for those I already know, which helps me to have a more memorable experience.
    Also releasing the set times right before the fest minimizes having to move around all of the sets if an act is forced to drop out (Cat Power, La Roux)

  9. #9
    Member mikey1313666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF/LA
    Posts
    2,279

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    we're not talking about months in advance, just not this close to the fest
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    10,044

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Its always been this way. Its part of paul's 'dont give a fuck' way of running the entire festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  11. #11
    Member Highly Refined Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    442

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Why do you need more than 5 days to look at the set times before the festival?

    Answer: You dont

  12. #12
    Member mikey1313666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF/LA
    Posts
    2,279

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Why do you need more than 5 days to look at the set times before the festival?

    Answer: You dont
    we're not all patient like you
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

  13. #13
    Member kimbico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Well deal with the fact that you'll have a short amount of time to organize you schedule then. Oh no, we only have days to come up with the schedule we want! What will we do? My point is... you don't need days. Also, they organize set times so much earlier. They know when everyone is playing in advance, but don't release them because they don't give a fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

  14. #14
    Member omerta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Last year was my first coachella. I didn't know the set times until I got into the polo fields because I was travelling the week before with no time to get online. Still I had a great time. I would have seen Cut Copy if only I knew the Black Keys would headline the next year and I would be able to attend the festival again. But it's a different story.

    Anyway, I have 7 more days than some of you.
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

  15. #15
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,156

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    If you get the set times, say 2 or 3 months before the event, then you really have no reason to branch out and discover/prepare for the festival by trying to listen and learn every band on the lineup. If, for every set you see there's at least 4 your don't, then you're only really seeing one fifth of the lineup (not including dome/do lab.) Not releasing the set times super early compels me to seek out new bands instead of just settle for those I already know, which helps me to have a more memorable experience.
    Also releasing the set times right before the fest minimizes having to move around all of the sets if an act is forced to drop out (Cat Power, La Roux)
    I only ask for a 2 weeks notice. For me this facet of Coachella is the ONLY thing that prevents it from being a perfect festival.

    It also gives international fans hoping to make up extra stress as they don't know where each other will be and access to internet/cell for non-locals can be an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by kimbico View Post
    Well deal with the fact that you'll have a short amount of time to organize you schedule then. Oh no, we only have days to come up with the schedule we want! What will we do? My point is... you don't need days. Also, they organize set times so much earlier. They know when everyone is playing in advance, but don't release them because they don't give a fuck.
    Dont be a snob.

    The late schedule release PUNISHES serious music fans. It prevents fans to see shows around the festival that would minimize conflicts. Some fans have had 3-4 ways conflicts in past years. You tell me how I should go about deciding which show to see and which one to skip:

    Monday April 9th:
    Kasabian - Vogue*
    Cults - Venue*
    Radiohead - Key Arena
    Fanfarlo - Biltmore
    fIREHOSE - Bellingham

    Tuesday April 10th:
    Band of Skulls - Commodore*
    First Aid - Venue
    Elvis Costello - Orpheum*
    Andrew Bird - Vogue
    Thomas Dolby - Rio

    4-5 of these acts may never play western canada again. Even if I went bother weekends in coachella and some side shows I'd still be bound to miss something I'd wanted to see because of GV's fucked up policy that's never been explained beyond Paul T. doing in 2-3 weeks before th eevent.

  16. #16
    Member kimbico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    Dont be a snob.

    The late schedule release PUNISHES serious music fans. It prevents fans to see shows around the festival that would minimize conflicts. Some fans have had 3-4 ways conflicts in past years. You tell me how I should go about deciding which show to see and which one to skip:

    Monday April 9th:
    Kasabian - Vogue*
    Cults - Venue*
    Radiohead - Key Arena
    Fanfarlo - Biltmore
    fIREHOSE - Bellingham

    Tuesday April 10th:
    Band of Skulls - Commodore*
    First Aid - Venue
    Elvis Costello - Orpheum*
    Andrew Bird - Vogue
    Thomas Dolby - Rio

    4-5 of these acts may never play western canada again. Even if I went bother weekends in coachella and some side shows I'd still be bound to miss something I'd wanted to see because of GV's fucked up policy that's never been explained beyond Paul T. doing in 2-3 weeks before th eevent.
    I'm not being a snob, I'm being honest. I wouldn't say it punishes serious music fans. Yeah it sucks, but almost everyone I know has those conflicts. It's a part of Coachella. It sucks but it is seriously one of the only flaws of the festival.

    If it is really that difficult and important for you, when the lineup was released, you should've started to piece together who you wanted to see and where your priorities are within the festival. Also, yeah, it sucks they don't release them earlier but there's nothing we can do about it. You should already know that you won't be able to catch every artist you want to see (if you're going for a lot of artists), because Coachella organizes the artists in a way where you'll have two or three similar bands that you want to see at the same time or extremely close set times. It's just what they do.

    As for your predicament with the bands, that's no one's problem but you're own. Yeah it sucks you might never get to see some of these people live, but that's what happens. Just saying "Oh I wish they'd release set times earlier" isn't going to change anything. People just have to accept that while it is a flaw of the festival (one of the only flaws in my opinion), they should stop bitching about it because I don't see it changing anytime soon and it shouldn't take someone a super long time to decide who they are going to see.

    For now, people just gotta stop bitching about set time release dates and prioritize their artists so that when conflicts do arise, they'll already know which to see. Simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

  17. #17
    Member Riggins33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    This thread is fucking soooooo retarded it's retarded.

  18. #18

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    As much as it drives me crazy because I am anal and like to plan and organize things, I get why they wait. By waiting, they take something incredibly uninteresting (seriously, stage and time assignments) and turn it into something epic and anticipated. It's all about building the suspense, and when they drop it just days before the event the excitement level is palpable and carries you over to the actual festival. It wouldn't generate anywhere near the excitement if they dropped it earlier.

  19. #19

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by krewechief View Post
    it's not rocket surgery, Dragonette will be on at 12:00 at one stage or another, Jeff Mangum at 6:00, Squeeze at 3:30...etc...
    It sure ain't.

  20. #20
    Member omerta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Seoul, Korea
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    I am not a serious music fan but I think Bumblebee has some point about seeing some shows around the festival to minimize conflicts. I'm planning to see Girls/Yuck show on thursday (4/19) if there's an inevitable confict at coachella. These two bands will not be touring my country any time soon...
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

  21. #21
    Member Vic Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    1,764

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    set times have always been released this close to the festival. it's not new. at all.

    conflicts will happen regardless of when they're made available. are you going to tell me as a SERIOUS MUSIC FAN that you'll avoid checking out new bands because they already conflict with another band you like? what a ridiculous notion.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

  22. #22

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    You tell me how I should go about deciding which show to see and which one to skip:

    Monday April 9th:
    Kasabian - Vogue*
    Cults - Venue*
    Radiohead - Key Arena
    Fanfarlo - Biltmore
    fIREHOSE - Bellingham

    Tuesday April 10th:
    Band of Skulls - Commodore*
    First Aid - Venue
    Elvis Costello - Orpheum*
    Andrew Bird - Vogue
    Thomas Dolby - Rio
    THATS who you're seeing?! Remind me not to be your friend.

  23. #23
    old school bluemamba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Posts
    3,352

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    Why do you need more than 5 days to look at the set times before the festival?

    Answer: You dont
    Pretty much this. How fucking hard is it to look at the set times for 5 minutes and decide what you want to watch?? You already know you're going to be watching Radiohead, Mazzy Star, etc etc no matter what so it doesn't really matter.

  24. #24
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,156

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluemamba View Post
    Pretty much this. How fucking hard is it to look at the set times for 5 minutes and decide what you want to watch?? You already know you're going to be watching Radiohead, Mazzy Star, etc etc no matter what so it doesn't really matter.
    I had a "top 3 for the weekend" act I couldn't see last year because of conflicts. An act that's only played Western Canada once in a 15 year career.

    In 2010, I had PIL and Fever Ray conflicted when both were the only realistic chance of seeing either in my lifetime and I have to choose.

    I could also argue that having a week or two with the set times allows incentive to further explore the smaller names in the afternoon.

  25. #25
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,156

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    set times have always been released this close to the festival. it's not new. at all.

    conflicts will happen regardless of when they're made available. are you going to tell me as a SERIOUS MUSIC FAN that you'll avoid checking out new bands because they already conflict with another band you like? what a ridiculous notion.
    relaxation of radius clauses is new thing.

    I'd say west-coasters could see as many as 30% more "full" sets if they have a week or two head ups and had the resources to run around to the various sideshows and tour dates. The late schedule release is punative to anyone who actually likes more than 20% of the acts on the bill. Not only that it's BAD BUSINESS when GV/AEG are the promoters/agents on the dates surrounding the festival.

  26. #26
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,156

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    I am not a serious music fan but I think Bumblebee has some point about seeing some shows around the festival to minimize conflicts. I'm planning to see Girls/Yuck show on thursday (4/19) if there's an inevitable confict at coachella. These two bands will not be touring my country any time soon...
    I'm seeing 6 shows in 4 days. More than I've seen in 2012 so far up to last Thursday since little has come up this way.

    The biggest annoyance wax in 2010 when it wasn't known until the last minute that JONSI would not be playing the festival with any of his extensive and highly publisized production.

  27. #27
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,156

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by kimbico View Post
    If it is really that difficult and important for you, when the lineup was released, you should've started to piece together who you wanted to see and where your priorities are within the festival. Also, yeah, it sucks they don't release them earlier but there's nothing we can do about it. You should already know that you won't be able to catch every artist you want to see (if you're going for a lot of artists), because Coachella organizes the artists in a way where you'll have two or three similar bands that you want to see at the same time or extremely close set times. It's just what they do.

    As for your predicament with the bands, that's no one's problem but you're own. Yeah it sucks you might never get to see some of these people live, but that's what happens. Just saying "Oh I wish they'd release set times earlier" isn't going to change anything. People just have to accept that while it is a flaw of the festival (one of the only flaws in my opinion), they should stop bitching about it because I don't see it changing anytime soon and it shouldn't take someone a super long time to decide who they are going to see.

    For now, people just gotta stop bitching about set time release dates and prioritize their artists so that when conflicts do arise, they'll already know which to see. Simple as that.
    I just want to remind you that a SINGLE person was able to some of the set times last year with one comment on facebook. Odd Future in the dome could have turned in to a jungle gym and not in a good way.

    I'm also waiting for someone to explain to me what happens in the 2 weeks between Paul T. finalizing the schedule and releasing it.

  28. #28
    Member kimbico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    I just want to remind you that a SINGLE person was able to some of the set times last year with one comment on facebook. Odd Future in the dome could have turned in to a jungle gym and not in a good way.

    I'm also waiting for someone to explain to me what happens in the 2 weeks between Paul T. finalizing the schedule and releasing it.
    Right, I totally understand that. But bitching on the message boards about it won't do anything. You should talk to, I don't know, maybe the PEOPLE WHO RUN THE FESTIVAL. Email them, leave something on Facebook, etc. But don't bitch on the message boards about how you are mad that they don't release it sooner and expect a change. Also, nobody really knows why he doesn't release it earlier. But again, going on these message boards and complaining isn't going to do anything. I expect he just wants to poke fun at us, and keep us really guessing and excited. I think I've made my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    You're like a freedom fighter, but for pointless shit.
    COACHELLA 2013 - Rick James

  29. #29
    Coachella Junkie cutterbutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    6,495

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Dudes, I'm friends with Paul Tollett on facebook and he replies to me all the time. I'm not bugging him with annoying shit about the festival (i'm sure he gets enough of that on the day to day), but I'm sure he'd add you as a friend reply to you. I'm not saying to ask him "when will the set times be released?" but you could ask him "hey paul, are set times really decided this late in the game for all the bands?" and open a dialogue about the festival and other aspects of the industry with him. Shit, he's even asked me about MY OWN LIFE AND INTERESTS. The Coachella brand is manipulated in specific ways to give you an experience and take your money in exchange; that doesn't mean the people who run it aren't human.

    These forums often miss great opportunities for real discussion and become an excuse to talk your own person, rag on each other, and complain while seeking mutual apathy about a festival/scene that everyone "loves so much". Thats not a jab at you guys above me so don't read it as one, albeit bumblebee is talking to himself while everyone else is sleeping.

  30. #30

    Default Re: When will the lineup be released?

    Who let Kimbico into the forums? he bitches about people bitching.

Similar Threads

  1. Top 5 New Discoveries Since Lineup Was Released
    By crombrenner in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
  2. Which lineup will be released first?
    By sin213 in forum Polls
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2009, 01:35 PM
  3. the lineup should be released
    By ShyGuy75 in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 02:02 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
  5. predict the day the lineup will be released!
    By SecretPrescription in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •