Thread: Driving in

Default Driving in

I didn't get a shuttle pass. I haven't been since 2009 when I camped, so driving to/from the festival was never an issue when I would leave the festival site.

Staying in Palm Desert this year. What will it be like driving in? Should I try to buy a shuttle pass off someone to save myself? (I'm staying in a more expensive "zone" though...)

Best routes to take? How long should I budget? I am afraid of my traveling companions taking too long and me missing the earlier acts I really want to see.

Default Re: Driving in

Get off the fwy before or after Jefferson. Leave at 10-12

Last couple of years, my group would take Washington down to 52 ave and parked in the lots down that way. Not much traffic at all around 3ish. It's a decent walk and its been anywhere from 10min-40min to get out. In 2010 we parked along the fence outside the lots which ment no wait to get out. Last year when we got to the lots, police weren't letting us park along the fence. However, there were cars parked along the outside fence at the end of the night when we were leaving.

The shuttle is a good option if you are worried about DDs.

I would highly recommend getting a shuttle pass. They are out there, you just have to work at it a bit. After taking the shuttle last year, I will never drive into the festival again. It really improves the experience. The one thing that drives me nuts is getting stuck in the parking lot after a long day. Remember in the past the stories of getting stuck for hours in the parking lots? Also, be aware that there is less day parking as in years past. Last year, we left after the closing acts each day, probably the biggest crowd of the day for the buses. Even though it is a walk to the buses, we were constantly moving, and there were tons of buses. There were thousands leaving at the same time, but the buses simply filled up and left. The buses also have their own access in and out of the site so you won't get stuck in the normal traffic. Save yourself the headache, the shuttle is worth every penny.

i don't know where in palm desert ur staying but I've always stayed in indian wells which is kinda close to there ish. i didn't take a freeway and just map quested/google map/gps'd it. it seems that EVERYONE takes the same left turn though an so thats what makes traffic so terrible. i recommend looking at the coachella map and seeing what streets the parking lots are on and take the next turn around the rectangle of coachella.

for the record this year i am giving a shuttle pass a try for the first time because i don't want to deal with the hassle of exiting the parking lots after coachella this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Yeah, but there's not much I can do about the shuttle pass situation because we are in a more expensive "zone" (ie: if someone bought the pass, they would have had to pay more for it...which a lot of people didn't.)

I'm stuck driving, so "get a shuttle pass" isn't an option for me.

Washington to 52 is a must if you're driving, but I highly recommend taking a shuttle, makes life a lot easier. If you insist on driving take Fred Waring to Washington to 52nd street. I used to live in the Desert, that is by far the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Yeah, but there's not much I can do about the shuttle pass situation because we are in a more expensive "zone" (ie: if someone bought the pass, they would have had to pay more for it...which a lot of people didn't.)

I'm stuck driving, so "get a shuttle pass" isn't an option for me.
    I was forced to buy a pass with shuttle pass. I don't need the shuttle pass. I don't know what location it's for either. Can you switch pick up point? If so I'll sell you mine for $20. I'm going weekend 2 by the way. I'll be arriving Thursday; staying in Rancho Mirage.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Plan on arriving at 11am, plan on returning to your hotel around 2am. Fill a cooler with water bottles on ice and leave it in your trunk. When you get back to your car, reach for some water. It'll still be pretty cold if you have a properly insulated cooler. Relax. Find a happy place. Wait out the traffic.

Done.

I am planning on doing the same, hopefully this year it will be nice and smooth getting in there

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Washington to 52 is a must if you're driving, but I highly recommend taking a shuttle, makes life a lot easier. If you insist on driving take Fred Waring to Washington to 52nd street. I used to live in the Desert, that is by far the best way to go.
    Hey, thanks for the tip! Yeah, my friend and I are just going to drive in because the shuttle pass from our hotel is $90 after all the fees. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by weezy f baby View Post
    Fill a cooler with water bottles on ice and leave it in your trunk. When you get back to your car, reach for some water. It'll still be pretty cold if you have a properly insulated cooler. Relax. Find a happy place. Wait out the traffic.

Done.
    This^

It's obvious weezy knows what's up here....having that ice cold imperial stout waiting in the car to drink while the dust and crowds settle is the biz

So, how was it this year?

Quick Question: If I have a shuttle pass from tennis garden...where would/do I park my car????? Are there any lots near by?

at the tennis garden lot