Thread: companion parking question (re: lines, searches, etc)

Default companion parking question (re: lines, searches, etc)

i'll be driving out thursday night to meet up with some friends who are in a house literally two blocks away from the venue. unfortunately i wont be able to park at the house due to all of the parking restrictions which is totally understandable. i do have a companion parking pass, so i plan on dropping by the house to unload my stuff, then driving my car to the companion parking lot where it will stay until monday morning.

my question is since i'll be coming during the major thursday nite migration, am i going to have to wait in the same lines as the campers and have my car searched even though i wont be entering the camping area at all?

reason i ask is last time i camped (clusterfuckchella 2010) was a freakin nightmare. with mostly volunteers handling the lines of traffic VERY poorly, and nobody had any idea where to send us, one person would say companion parking was closed, one said it wasnt, another didnt know wtf i was talking about, finally i found the right lot by chance and everything worked out. it was just kind of lame having to wait 2-3 hours in line with people who were car camping just to have my car searched even though i was very clear to everyone we asked along the way that i was not bringing my car into the camping lots. we were then searched on foot again when entering the camping area (which made sense but was a bit infuriating after going though all that).

so anyone park in the companion lot last year? do they have a separate route in for companion parking or do you at least get to skip the vehicle search? i know 2010 was a horrific year logistically and im optimistic that they made some improvements last year to streamline the process a lil, just trying to get an idea of what to expect

Lurker

Default Re: companion parking question (re: lines, searches, etc)

Yes there is a different path in for companion parking. A map with routes will be posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
    i'll be driving out thursday night to meet up with some friends who are in a house literally two blocks away from the venue. unfortunately i wont be able to park at the house due to all of the parking restrictions which is totally understandable. i do have a companion parking pass, so i plan on dropping by the house to unload my stuff, then driving my car to the companion parking lot where it will stay until monday morning.

my question is since i'll be coming during the major thursday nite migration, am i going to have to wait in the same lines as the campers and have my car searched even though i wont be entering the camping area at all?

reason i ask is last time i camped (clusterfuckchella 2010) was a freakin nightmare. with mostly volunteers handling the lines of traffic VERY poorly, and nobody had any idea where to send us, one person would say companion parking was closed, one said it wasnt, another didnt know wtf i was talking about, finally i found the right lot by chance and everything worked out. it was just kind of lame having to wait 2-3 hours in line with people who were car camping just to have my car searched even though i was very clear to everyone we asked along the way that i was not bringing my car into the camping lots. we were then searched on foot again when entering the camping area (which made sense but was a bit infuriating after going though all that).

so anyone park in the companion lot last year? do they have a separate route in for companion parking or do you at least get to skip the vehicle search? i know 2010 was a horrific year logistically and im optimistic that they made some improvements last year to streamline the process a lil, just trying to get an idea of what to expect

We had 3 companion parking passes last year and never did find the companion parking area. We got the companion parking spots for 2 reasons, 1 for a friend that was arriving later than us and the other 2 so we could leave and go to the store or whatever we wanted so we left our camp spot planning to park in companion parking when we got back. The friend that used one got directed to the right place although again it was a cluster fuck and he was directed all over the place first but finally found a parking person that knew where it was. He had to go through security getting into the main parking area and again when he drove into companion parking. Then on his way to our camp area in lot 5 some security people took all his alcohol, while he was walking! First time we left our camp spot planning to come back and park in companion parking they finally just parked us in lot 10 car camping because no one knew where car companion parking was. The second time we left again none of the parking people knew where companion parking was, we got directed literally all over the polo fields and finally we just drove back to our car camping spot in lot 5 and said fuck it. Good luck:-)

thanks for the info. anyone else care to weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    We had 3 companion parking passes last year and never did find the companion parking area. We got the companion parking spots for 2 reasons, 1 for a friend that was arriving later than us and the other 2 so we could leave and go to the store or whatever we wanted so we left our camp spot planning to park in companion parking when we got back. The friend that used one got directed to the right place although again it was a cluster fuck and he was directed all over the place first but finally found a parking person that knew where it was. He had to go through security getting into the main parking area and again when he drove into companion parking. Then on his way to our camp area in lot 5 some security people took all his alcohol, while he was walking! First time we left our camp spot planning to come back and park in companion parking they finally just parked us in lot 10 car camping because no one knew where car companion parking was. The second time we left again none of the parking people knew where companion parking was, we got directed literally all over the polo fields and finally we just drove back to our car camping spot in lot 5 and said fuck it. Good luck:-)
    yea thats what i was afraid of. i understand how difficult it must be to coordinate something on this scale, especially when there is no real incentive for security to be knowledgeable or helpful (and tbh its pretty rare that they are either). im not bringing any contraband in my car and i wont be spending any time in the camping area so i think its kinda silly that my car would have to be searched just to park in companion and walk a few blocks to my friends. companion and camping should be two completely separate areas with separate entrances. yea, im thinking its just going to be a crapshoot, but then again parking always has been. i might just take my chances and park in a neighborhood 5+ miles away and have one of my friends pick me up from there

im optimistic now that GV has purchased the polo club that there will be some pretty big changes to streamline parking in the next 2-3 years. i know paul mentioned widening some of the roads in an article 6 months back or so, and this before they made the buy so one can only hope

Quote Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post

Car Camping and Companion Parking both have different entrances. You'll have to wait in line to have your car searched when going into Companion Parking (depending on the time you arrive, but its NOT THE SAME entrance for CAR CAMPING and the line is much shorter) irregardless because items not aloud inside the festival or camp grounds(mostly pertaining to drugs) can not come into companion parking. It moves relatively quick in comparison to the car camping entrance because this is the final checkpoint for anything that will be brought into the designated car camping areas. Your items will not be searched again, just a brief/light pat down when you get your wristband scanned. This is all from last years experience.

South on Jefferson, Left on Ave 50....it's on the left as soon as you pass Madison
    Last edited by heyeric; 04-05-2012 at 03:30 PM.

I'd call GV on this because chances are the parking & security attendants are going to know jack shit about how to get to the Companion Car lot, just like last year.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

i think im just gonna try and carpool out there instead now that i know of a few others who are going, skip all the parking drama.

thanks for the input everyone