Thread: iTunes/iPod video

Default iTunes/iPod video

so my old iPod (60G photo) died and I went ahead and bought a new one 80G with video. Not had the iPod video before.

How come I can't rip a movie from a DVD I own the same way I can a CD I own? iTunes lets you rip CDs but video has to be purchased from the iTunes store. I know there are programs you can buy out there (ImToo for example) that do this but why the hell don't they build that feature into iTunes?
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Default Re: iTunes/iPod video

If you peruse download.com you can find programs that will encode the video files into whatever format Apple uses. I came across about a dozen of them the other day looking for video editors.
    Bicycle, you're keeping me sane.

Yeah, I see that. but how come iTunes doesn't have that capacity built in? it's not very hard. are they just being greedy bastards again?
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

My guess, Tom, is that it probably has more to do with the film studios. They've been even more reluctant than the music biz to make things computer-friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    so my old iPod (60G photo) died and I went ahead and bought a new one 80G with video. Not had the iPod video before.

How come I can't rip a movie from a DVD I own the same way I can a CD I own? iTunes lets you rip CDs but video has to be purchased from the iTunes store. I know there are programs you can buy out there (ImToo for example) that do this but why the hell don't they build that feature into iTunes?
    They are proboly trying to avoid any conflicts with movie studios. I have the application named AoA DVD Ripper. It has an option to save as Apple iPod (MP4).
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

tom is the king of having to buy new ipods. i've had the same one since like.. 03 or something. -knocks wood-

probably to avoid the movie studios...there's plenty of programs that will rip DVD's either into the mpeg or avi formats though....and then to convert to ipod capable, there's programs to do that too...and apple does offer this option (but you have to pay for it) in the form of Quicktime Pro...where you can export any movie file into an Ipod video (with options such as using the h.264 codec and more).

Been managing my ipod manually or with various other progs for some time now. itunes runs sluggish on my pc.

here's what works for me...

Dvd Decrypter to rip your dvd's http://www.dvdhelp.us/dvddecrypter/dvddecrypter.html

To convert for ipod use I like Videora. Super easy to use + FREE http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

here are specs on what the video ipod can handle

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

rip, convert, drag into itunes.

hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    Been managing my ipod manually or with various other progs for some time now. itunes runs sluggish on my pc.

here's what works for me...

Dvd Decrypter to rip your dvd's http://www.dvdhelp.us/dvddecrypter/dvddecrypter.html

To convert for ipod use I like Videora. Super easy to use + FREE http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/

here are specs on what the video ipod can handle

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320x240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480x480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

rip, convert, drag into itunes.

hope it helps...
    Exactly what he said. If you have a Mac, get Mac The Ripper and Handbrake

http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by ewiggy View Post
    tom is the king of having to buy new ipods. i've had the same one since like.. 03 or something. -knocks wood-
    yeah I know. I guess it's cuz I travel with them. I dunno. the upside is it gives me an excuse to upgrade.

thanks for the help everyone. I don't have a mac but I will be looking at the PC software.