Thread: 18 & 21 - question about car camping and alcohol

Default 18 & 21 - question about car camping and alcohol

hey guys,
    my boyfriend and i (18) are coming to coachella from austria, it's our first time this year.
    i've already read much about how strict securities are with alcohol and underagers, but i'm still wondering about their techniques. i'm not going to take drugs or drink alcohol if it's absolutely impossible, but do you think there's any chance for me to drink one or two beers a day in our tent or our car? even if i'm not taking alcohol with me (i mean outside of the tent, meaning visible for the securities), are they going to breathalyze people?
    you know, having fun doesn't depend on drinking alcohol for me, but still i'd like to know how the chances are. like i said, if they are going to breathalyze, i'm not going to risk anything.

my other question is about taking alcohol into the camping grounds - i've read lots of people walk inside while the other people over 21 are driving into the camping ground. how difficult is it to find each other in the area, without using a cellphone? and how close to the grounds would i have to get out of the car, so that nobody was caring? i'm asking because my boyfriend still wants to drink and i don't want to risk anything, for the sake of beer.

(i'm sorry if any of my english doesn't make any sense, but otherwise i'd love to see you guys writing in german ... )

thanks

Default Re: 18 & 21 - question about car camping and alcohol

just beware of the alcohol sniffing horses.

They search your car when you enter the campsites. If you wanted the person who is 21 to go into the campsite without you and meet up with them later that would be completely possible BUT without a cell phone very hard to find them. You have no idea what campground they are filling and they wont be able to call you and tell you what street they are on or what campground. They wont breathalyze you unless you are acting completely fucked up and are already going to arrest you for being drunk in public. The worst thing that will happen if you try and go through the security with the alcohol and they ID you is they will take it away. Last year I had people that were under 21 in my car and when they asked who's alcohol it was I said it was mine and they only IDed me but I have heard different stories.

Not gonna tell an 18 yo that you can drink, but if your drinking a beer in your tent, i can't see anyone finding out. I think crazier things will be going on in tents. I don't think they'll breathalyze random 18 yo's walking around. If you try and drink inside festival you might have problems. Also tell your boyfriend To bring me some 7 stern beer from Austria! Memories....

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

just keep it hidden and you're fine

RE: the getting out of the car part ...

They won't give two shits when you get out of the car. The line of cars waiting to get searched to get into the campgrounds is one big party anyway. People are in and out of their cars constantly and most are drinking massive amounts of beer (some smoking too, but I think that's just stupid ... if you smoke and show up to the checkpoint reeking of bud, they're gonna search your car really thoroughly). So if you let your BF drive in, you could basically get out just a few cars before he gets to the check point and then walk in. Finding him again without a cell phone will be tricky though.

Also, in terms of drinking at your campsite and security busting you... They've got bigger fish to fry at the festival, but still keep in mind your surroundings. There is cops there and if you act like an idiot, you increase your chances of getting busted.

As has been mentioned, they do search your car pretty thoroughly, so I would just skip trying to sneak beers in and just talk to your neighbors, or make sure you hide it really well.

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    The worst thing that will happen if you try and go through the security with the alcohol and they ID you is they will take it away..
    In which case, the person who is 21 then goes to ralphs, gets more, and brings it in.

Individuals walking in go thru the check point faster than the people with cars. Just time it accordingly. Tell him to drive in a line that is close to the walk in inspection and you can hop back in the car after going both going thru inspection separately. Then it's up to you to learn your landmarks and coordinate meet up times and places. don't drawn any attention to yourself & you will be fine!
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Maybe you can get these walkie talkies before the fest.
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-FV300...p_ob_e_title_1
    $20 us...10 mile range and you can communicate all weekend if you get split up.

Quote Originally Posted by OtisRed View Post
    Also tell your boyfriend To bring me some 7 stern beer from Austria! Memories....
    thanks for your answer, i only know a 7 stern bar, but a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by moxie990 View Post

Also, in terms of drinking at your campsite and security busting you... They've got bigger fish to fry at the festival, but still keep in mind your surroundings. There is cops there and if you act like an idiot, you increase your chances of getting busted.

As has been mentioned, they do search your car pretty thoroughly, so I would just skip trying to sneak beers in and just talk to your neighbors, or make sure you hide it really well.
    yeah, i think i will have a look the first day without drinking anything, i think it's hard for everyone to tell how it's gonna be without being there actually. if i can act really weird being sober and without being asked for my ID, maybe i will take a risk the next day. but it really depends.

and, what do you mean with talk to your neighbours?

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    In which case, the person who is 21 then goes to ralphs, gets more, and brings it in.
    so it's possible to get alcohol not only at the first time checking in, but also later? then i think it would be best to do so... even if the walkie talkie idea was pretty cool though

Quote Originally Posted by hansa View Post
    so it's possible to get alcohol not only at the first time checking in, but also later? then i think it would be best to do so... even if the walkie talkie idea was pretty cool though
    SUPERMARKET SHUTTLES

If there something that you need and can't find at the general store or the farmers market, hop on our free shuttles to the local Supermarket. Running times are Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 7am - 1:30pm / Lot 4

from http://www.coachella.com/travel-lodging/on-site-camping
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    They search your car when you enter the campsites. If you wanted the person who is 21 to go into the campsite without you and meet up with them later that would be completely possible BUT without a cell phone very hard to find them. You have no idea what campground they are filling and they wont be able to call you and tell you what street they are on or what campground. They wont breathalyze you unless you are acting completely fucked up and are already going to arrest you for being drunk in public. The worst thing that will happen if you try and go through the security with the alcohol and they ID you is they will take it away. Last year I had people that were under 21 in my car and when they asked who's alcohol it was I said it was mine and they only IDed me but I have heard different stories.

I think this is right on. The trickier part is how to find each other if you go in separately and lose each other - that happened to us last year. I would have a backup plan such as "if all else fails, meet me outside the gates to the main entrance at 4pm." or something like that.

The advice given in this thread is overcautious and 10 times more complicated then needed. If you bring alcohol and someone is under 21 have them walk through the line and wait for you to get searched. The line moves pretty slowly and the cars are all going down the same dirt road to the same campground in stop and go traffic and tons of people are walking through the checkpoint. It would pretty hard to fuck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferie View Post
    The advice given in this thread is overcautious and 10 times more complicated then needed. If you bring alcohol and someone is under 21 have them walk through the line and wait for you to get searched. The line moves pretty slowly and the cars are all going down the same dirt road to the same campground in stop and go traffic and tons of people are walking through the checkpoint. It would pretty hard to fuck it up.

i'm sorry, maybe it's because i'm no native english speaker, what exactly do you mean by posting this?

He just means that finding your boyfriend's car after you walk through won't be that hard. I agree, but only if the set up is like it was last year. The line of cars waiting to get checked by security (there was about 10 lines if my memory is correct) all funneled down to one line once you passed through the security check point. What he's saying, is that if you get out of the car and let your boyfriend drive, as long as you just walk only to that part where it goes down to one lane, you can't miss each other.

This, of course, only works if the set up is the same as last year though, and while the maps seem to make it seem like it is, there's no guarantee.

All in all ... I would just send your boyfriend through with the booze, meet up with him past security somewhere, and then just act as if beer is no big deal to you while in your campsite and you shouldn't get hassled by security at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moxie990 View Post
    He just means that finding your boyfriend's car after you walk through won't be that hard. I agree, but only if the set up is like it was last year. The line of cars waiting to get checked by security (there was about 10 lines if my memory is correct) all funneled down to one line once you passed through the security check point. What he's saying, is that if you get out of the car and let your boyfriend drive, as long as you just walk only to that part where it goes down to one lane, you can't miss each other.

This, of course, only works if the set up is the same as last year though, and while the maps seem to make it seem like it is, there's no guarantee.

All in all ... I would just send your boyfriend through with the booze, meet up with him past security somewhere, and then just act as if beer is no big deal to you while in your campsite and you shouldn't get hassled by security at all.
    thanksalot for this