Thread: Can i bring my camera? I have a Canon EOS =)

Default Can i bring my camera? I have a Canon EOS =)

I wish to know if i can take my camera with me!! thanks =)

Default Re: Can i bring my camera? I have a Canon EOS =)

You can bring it. The FAQ says you can't but you can either:

A. Just walk into the festival with it and no one will care
    B. If anyone gives you shit play dumb and say the lens doesn't remove

I received this response to my inquiry on my Panasonic Lumix micro 4/3's. The thing is the size of most point and shoot cameras BUT it has removable lenses.

"Sorry, no camera's with removable lens' are allowed"

EOS are egregiously large, well at least with this no removable lens rule. As for my camera, this is the smallest and least offensive camera I own, I am still attempting to bring it.
    '04 | '05 | '06 | '12.1

"B. If anyone gives you shit play dumb and say the lens doesn't remove"

Got this in before I could . . . Yes, play the dumb card, that is what I intend with my camera. I recall getting my D70 in a couple years ago. The security person was cool and could care less.
    '04 | '05 | '06 | '12.1

I see a security guy taking notes now; Canon EOS, Panasonic Lumix micro 4/3's, D70
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Lurkers helping out Lurkers, how cute.

Don't you people know how to use the search function before making threads to something that has been brought up several other times before?

They will make you take it back to your car. Even if you pull the 'oh, i don't have the lens with me', Security won't let you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalen View Post
    They will make you take it back to your car. Even if you pull the 'oh, i don't have the lens with me', Security won't let you in.
    This is true i tryed to bring in my 5d last year 3 times and was send back to camp ever time. i bought a G12 this year and im sure i wont have a problem.
    Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

Just to chip in on this matter... last 4 years I've taken my Canon SX10IS with me, its almost as big as one of the new entry model dSLR, and every time, every single day I entered though the camping gates security as given me a hard time with my camera luckily it's a superzoom point n shoot and the huge lens is not removable... event though I've seen many many people with dSLRs inside the venue so I don't think its that big of a deal but anyway I rather be safe not worrying about the lens and stuf and enjoy Coachella.

Take the lens off, put it down your pants

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    I see a security guy taking notes now; Canon EOS, Panasonic Lumix micro 4/3's, D70
    There is a 0% chance that any security guards are ever going to use the forum.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I mean if they can navigate Craigslist, they can navigate the forum, right?

Can you? Yes. According to the FAQ's if the lens is removable, NO...Regardless if its a pro sumer, entry level, whatever classification you want to put it in. Some guards will turn you away.

Is it possible? Yes. With creative packaging with lenses.
    Is it also a pain in the ass to carry around a camera all day, change lenses, be in the middle of a rowdy crowd (CSS was a bitch but totally worth it as was Scissor Sisters!) Yes, its truly a pain in the ass. Do you have a locker rented? I hope so cuz once you have it in you lock it up INSIDE the fields so you only have to go through the ordeal once.

Also, take off the damn neck strap that ANNOUNCES what kind of camera you're carrying...DEAD GIVEAWAY. Take off ALL Lenses and just keep the lens cover on, makes it look a lot less obvious (unless you know what you're looking for)

If one doesn't let you through, drop out of line and find a new one.
    Good luck, I did it last year with a T2I and 3 lenses. This year im doing a point and shoot and focusing on friends and such as its more important to me.
    Not going to lie...some amazing shots of some bands that I may not have been able to take without the cam i had.

Also, and I am not discrediting your knowledge of photography here, do you know how to use your camera? I know a lot of people with high end DSLR's that never take it off of auto. If thats the case i recommend a good point and shoot with a good zoom (lots out there inexpensive) as its just a lot less stressful (and a lot cheaper if its damaged.)
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

i took this camera last year and it was only allowed 1/3 days.. it all depends on the security guard. sometimes they say just no detachable lens and some guys say no big zooms either so its up to u. hopefully ur parking there so u can just put it back in ur car if they deny it.. sucks for those coming from shuttle bus

canon_powershot_sx30_is_angle_medium.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Passion Pit drew the biggest congregation of white people that couldn't dance that I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Ros Stache View Post
    Good luck, I did it last year with a T2I and 3 lenses.
    I bow down to you, sir. The dust alone would scare me away from bringing in my Rebel. Bringing an S95 this year.
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

My friend plans on sneaking in his dslr, lens removed, just the body. while 3 other people in our group each sneak in one of his lenses wrapped in a shirt.

I think you have a better chance of walking back to your car/tent than if you just brought one lens attached to the camera and hoped for a security guard that doesn't care.

I'm bring lots of film and a Blackbird Fly

Friday: Outkast | Girl Talk | HAIM | Bonobo | Flume | Wye Oak | The Preatures
    Saturday: Lorde | Sleigh Bells | CHVRCHES | Capital Cities | Warpaint | Washed Out | Banks
    Sunday: Arcade Fire | Beck | Disclosure | Lana Del Rey | AlunaGeorge | Superchunk | Daughter | Poolside

oh another thing, when i was body searched, i kept the camera in my hand stretched out so they could pat me down....they never looked twice.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Ros Stache View Post
    oh another thing, when i was body searched, i kept the camera in my hand stretched out so they could pat me down....they never looked twice.
    I agree. I've done that before at other events and they almost never examine whats in your hand when you have your hands stretched out (especially if you have a cluster fuck of items in your hand).

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I've tried everything I could to get permission to bring a DSLR in and you have to know someone or be in a very special sector of the press. I've seen so many pissed off people walking back to their cars over the years. So I said to hell with it and invested into 2 Sony 16mp cameras with fixed lenses and great zooms. It's allot less to lose monetarily compared to my DSLR. And a hell of allot smaller when I'm dancing.

Don't waste your time, enjoy the show, not the parking lot.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets