Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is Sonic Youth billed so low?

Default Why is Sonic Youth billed so low?

Sonic Youth might not be the biggest band, but they've been around longer than most performers on Friday, and they've been pretty important in the development of alternative music. I know that they're still on like the third line, but I would have expected them to be billed right below Bjork, or at least before Arctic Monkeys.

Default Re: Why is Sonic Youth billed so low?

Thats the same position they got in 2003 when they were on the poster which was 5th from the top. If we based it on seniority they would be headlining. The newcomers get higher because well, they are new and people are into them. Not that people dont like Sonic Youth but you know what I mean.

Yeah, I guess your right. I understand Interpol being above them because they're one of the most popular bands on the indie scene, the Jesus and Mary Chain reunion kind of has to be up at the top, and the Monkeys are like the biggest band out of England right now.

old school

Good question. I went to a radio station festival in Cleveland this year for the Lips, & Youth. Much to my dismay I missed Sonic Youth because they played before Death Cab for Cutie & we could only make it there for the headliners. Blashpemy I say Blashphemy!!!!!!!!!!! I was so pissed off. Me & my friends were a bunch of intolerable drunks screaming at Death Cab to get off stage & bring Youth back out. We were almost removed from the venue. I think the Youth are humble & generous. They're just trying to give some of the other bands some of the bigger slots to shine. There is no reason for Arctic Monkeys to be billed higher than them though.

the arctic monkeys are above the roots which invalidates the entire poster

Arctic Monkeys should NOT be above Jarvis Cocker and Sonic Youth, that's just shameful. I could understand if it were 2006 and people were still falling for the hype, which is nonexistent now.

I was wondering why Sonic Youth were billed so low too.
    The Arctic Monkeys suck.

maybe because sonic youth is gay..

i just feel like starting a fight.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Lurker

Does it really matter? You still get to see Sonic Youth play, and at an earlier time it may be less likely their set interferes with other sweet bands.

I think the poster is arranged by who's going to draw people in. I mean we know who's playing, but the general population won't care about Jarvis Cocker, but get drawn in when they see Red Hot Chilli Peppers in bold, ya know?

Because they were barely popular when they were "popular".

And no more than 900 people give a shit about Jarvis Cocker anymore.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

old school

Quote Originally Posted by fober View Post

Who gives a shit to what degree they were popular? The validity of their music compared to the others is why this thread exists. Youth have never been concerned about being popular. You probably buy whatever is on the top 40 when you go record shopping huh. Have fun at the Arctic Monkeys set.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Who gives a shit to what degree they were popular? The validity of their music compared to the others is why this thread exists. Youth have never been concerned about being popular. You probably buy whatever is on the top 40 when you go record shopping huh. Have fun at the Arctic Monkeys set.
    Unfortunately for you, I was actually a grunge head, attending Lolla in 1995.

What does "the validity of their music" mean 12 years later to people who were 5-10 years old in 1995?

Nothing.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Jarvis Cocker should be right under Bjork.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

old school

Unfortunately for you, I was actually a grunge head, attending Lolla in 1995.

What does "the validity of their music" mean 12 years later to people who were 5-10 years old in 1995?

Nothing.
    I'm not sure I should even entertain yr response but here it goes. First of all you implied that headlining spots at Coachella should be based on popularity which is really lame. As lame as the Arctic Monkeys. 2nd Sonic Youth have carried the underground music scene on their shoulders & kept it from dying when nobody gave a shit about it. Not to mention being completely innovative with every release. Third I was at Lolla 95 too & 94 & 93. Fourth there are plenty of kids every year who are seeking a sound that is unique & dosen't sound like the rest. Some discover Sonic Youth. Age is irrelevant when it comes to diggin out on music. If they were to give the headlining spot to the band that was the most legendary act on board this year SY would be playing Sunday in place of Rage (Willie Nelson not included because he is arguably more legendary than them.)

I don't understand what you expect festival organisers to base their decision of who should headline on, if not popularity. It's certainly easier to quantify the popularity of a band than some absurd notion of how "legendary" a band is, as you seem to be suggesting is the best notion.

Whether or not I regard Sonic Youth to be superior, in purely musical terms or in influence, to the artists higher up the bill is neither here nor there. The bands higher up the bill have more pulling power in terms of generating ticket sales, and that is, after all, what festivals are ultimately about. Burying Rage Against The Machine low down the bill because you somehow objectively judged how "legendary" they are to be less than a bunch of other acts is completely nonsensical.

And we're overlooking the fact that you're not the one putting the festival on, so it matters not one bit what you think on the matter. The organisers decided, on whatever criteria they use, to have the current line-up. That's their prerogative. Deal with it.

the roots and sonic youth should both definitely be billed higher

best thread ever
    coachella vet: 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09......
    http://mrgwillgo.blogspot.com/

old school

Quote Originally Posted by ApathyAndExhaustion View Post
    I don't understand what you expect festival organisers to base their decision of who should headline on, if not popularity. It's certainly easier to quantify the popularity of a band than some absurd notion of how "legendary" a band is, as you seem to be suggesting is the best notion.

Whether or not I regard Sonic Youth to be superior, in purely musical terms or in influence, to the artists higher up the bill is neither here nor there. The bands higher up the bill have more pulling power in terms of generating ticket sales, and that is, after all, what festivals are ultimately about. Burying Rage Against The Machine low down the bill because you somehow objectively judged how "legendary" they are to be less than a bunch of other acts is completely nonsensical.

And we're overlooking the fact that you're not the one putting the festival on, so it matters not one bit what you think on the matter. The organisers decided, on whatever criteria they use, to have the current line-up. That's their prerogative. Deal with it.
    I said "If" they were to base on legendary satus not "they should". When yr done trying to put words in someones mouth get yr thumb out of yr ass & back into yr mouth crybaby!

old school

& for the record there have been many past headliners that have been booked due to their legendary status that weren't very popular with newer generations til Goldenvoice brought them to the festival. A booking tactic that has made Coachella so recognizable & great over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by tan-nerd View Post
    Does it really matter? You still get to see Sonic Youth play, and at an earlier time it may be less likely their set interferes with other sweet bands.
    Yep.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

agreed.whether or not they are billed on the top or bottom. it shouldn't fukking matter.

i will be more than happy to see sonic youth esp. if they play the same time as the arctic monkeys
    Last edited by merznerve; 03-25-2007 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by merznerve View Post
    i will be more than happy to see sonic youth esp. if they play the same time as the arctic monkeys

I bet if you took a poll of everyone on this board, just about 900 people would indeed 'give a shit' about Jarvis Cocker.

Quote Originally Posted by woogie846 View Post
    I bet if you took a poll of everyone on this board, just about 900 people would indeed 'give a shit' about Jarvis Cocker.
    So you're saying there aren't even 900 people on this board, which is dedicated to this type of music, who are interested in Jarvis Cocker?
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    I think the poster is arranged by who's going to draw people in. I mean we know who's playing, but the general population won't care about Jarvis Cocker, but get drawn in when they see Red Hot Chilli Peppers in bold, ya know?
    This makes no sense. Coachella doesn't cater to "the general population." It caters to a niche core of music lovers who will come out and pay often ridiculous amounts of money to listen to great music.

If they catered to the general population, it would be called Bonnaroo.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    I think the Youth are humble & generous. They're just trying to give some of the other bands some of the bigger slots to shine. There is no reason for Arctic Monkeys to be billed higher than them though.
    bullshit, they are old hat, continue to make boring records. the last tour was awful.

bands like interpol and arctic monkeys are new and markatable and the billing reflects that.

just cos' sonic youth get acclaim, doesn't mean they are worthy of a high slot on the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Benis23 View Post
    the roots and sonic youth should both definitely be billed higher
    Agreed, but on the plus side both will likely play a little earlier in the day hopefully resulting in less conflicts for me.

So you're saying there aren't even 900 people on this board, which is dedicated to this type of music, who are interested in Jarvis Cocker?
    .......possibly.

A lot of crappy bands playing in Coachella were infuenced by Sonic Youth. That's a big reason why they should be in a higher position. Or maybe they should split for a 10 years and returning as "The Alternative revelation", then a lot of stupid folky and indie kids would be adore them.

btw far gone... A solid career doesn't mean you're boring, Sonic Youth albums are full of quality.
    there's something wrong with my signatures this season...