Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 71

Thread: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

  1. #31
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,037

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I think the only band that truly isn't a good fit is Phish. Phish play at least two really long sets at every festival they play... can't see that ever happening at Coachella.
    There's no precedent, but what's stopping a 90 minute early afternoon set then a 90 minute evening headlining set for Phish at Coach?

  2. #32
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,375

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Other than Phish being involved, probably nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  3. #33
    old school
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,182

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    FUCK MMJ, they put us to sleep in '08 after Sean Penn opened for them but before Roger Waters blew our minds.. keep that shit at Bonnaroo where it belongs.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

  4. #34
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Problem: All those other bands you listed have received heavy radio play. Even Arcade Fire on KROQ. I've never heard MMJ on commercial rock radio.
    Holding on to Black Metal got plenty of radio play. If I hear it here in Tucson (a city that is known for outdated music stations) with frequency, I am sure they play it everywhere else often enough. Every year it seems like there is a band or act that certain folks believe isn't headliner worthy and they end up as a headliner on the poster. My Morning Jacket subbed four years ago and have only become more popular. Stick them as the "weak" headliner and, yeah, I can see it happening.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  5. #35
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    FUCK MMJ, they put us to sleep in '08 after Sean Penn opened for them but before Roger Waters blew our minds.. keep that shit at Bonnaroo where it belongs.
    Define "us". I wasn't there, so I want to clarify who you are grouping yourself with because from what I have heard, most people liked their set.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  6. #36
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    FUCK MMJ, they put us to sleep in '08 after Sean Penn opened for them but before Roger Waters blew our minds.. keep that shit at Bonnaroo where it belongs.
    This confirms that it's a good idea. You have the most awful taste in every conceivable thing.

  7. #37

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Coachella headliners are arena-level bands with mainstream appeal. The only headliners that didn't meet that standard at the time they headlined in the last decade were Bjork and Jack Johnson. Bjork is a critical darling and JJ was right on the edge of being arena-level when he headlined, and he's considered the weakest headliner.

    MMJ is amphitheater material with little mainstream appeal, they're not going to sell tickets or give the festival any additional media buzz, and they don't have the indie cachet of a Bjork to overcome that. Now that the festival is two weekends, there's more pressure to have huge headliners, and sorry to burst your bubble but MMJ is neither huge nor anywhere near it.

    They're not going to headline next year. Or ever. And your wishful thinking won't change that.

  8. #38
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orange County, Ca
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Headliner? No chance!

  9. #39
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    How big is Madison Square Garden? MMJ sold that out recently. That's a genuine question. They also sold out Radio City Music Hall in 22 minutes. They played arenas and theaters on this recent tour, and sold almost all of them out.

  10. #40
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orange County, Ca
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Didn't MMJ play the main stage in 08? They were great! But they will not be a headliner. Does headliner matter anyway? As long as they are on the bill.

  11. #41
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,672

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Yes, headliner matters. That means they get to most-likely play a longer set. That's where they really shine, more than most bands.

    I think the radio-play argument is a bit overstated, too. Do you really think a lot of people will buy a 3-day pass because they heard a song on the radio?

  12. #42
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Orange County, Ca
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    To give MMJ justice the would need a 2 hours plus set. Vegoose just isn't around anymore. MMJ rocks and I would love to see them again.

  13. #43
    Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    9,237

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I'm sure they could get two hours at coachella. They recently headlined at lollapalooza and got 2 hours.
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

  14. #44

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    The year for it to happen was 2012 (or 2011) - next year is too late in the album cycle. Anyways, they're never going to headline at the level they're at. It's wishful thinking. If it does happen I'll eat my socks.

  15. #45
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Coachella headliners are arena-level bands with mainstream appeal. The only headliners that didn't meet that standard at the time they headlined in the last decade were Bjork and Jack Johnson. Bjork is a critical darling and JJ was right on the edge of being arena-level when he headlined, and he's considered the weakest headliner.

    MMJ is amphitheater material with little mainstream appeal, they're not going to sell tickets or give the festival any additional media buzz, and they don't have the indie cachet of a Bjork to overcome that. Now that the festival is two weekends, there's more pressure to have huge headliners, and sorry to burst your bubble but MMJ is neither huge nor anywhere near it.

    They're not going to headline next year. Or ever. And your wishful thinking won't change that.
    If I had a time machine and traveled back five years and told you The Black Keys would be mainstream darlings who headline Coachella in 2012 I highly doubt anyone would have thought that was possible.

    The Killers were on the bottom line in 2004 and headlined the festival five years later.

    10 years ago, I would have NEVER thought acts like Dre and Snoop would fit at Coachella, let alone headline.

    My point is that these standards you are setting are completely non-existent. MMJ is selling out big venues quickly and their most recent album got more mainstream attention than any of their previous releases.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  16. #46

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Holding on to Black Metal got plenty of radio play. If I hear it here in Tucson (a city that is known for outdated music stations) with frequency, I am sure they play it everywhere else often enough.
    I live in LA, and I've never heard them on the radio. I support them as a headliner, I just think it's time you acknowledge your local radio stations must actually be pretty good about playing "indie" bands. I've seen you make these kinds of arguments before about other bands I would never imagine hearing on the radio here. Unless you're talking about satellite.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    More cats should rape. It's beautiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    WhyTheLongFace thinks the most logically imo

  17. #47
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    If you lived where I live, you would understand that for every MMJ song they play (or a song from Arcade Fire, Phoenix, Bon Iver, etc.) they'll play 15-20 tracks from a contingent of Disturbed, Nickleback, Linkin Park, Incubus, Korn and other awful late 90's / early-2000's "rock" bands.

    I was in Las Vegas last July and heard them on the radio there four out of the five days I stayed there. I'm sure they get play on the radio in LA at times and you just miss it.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  18. #48

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I'm almost positive MMJ (and Bon Iver for that matter) are not in regular rotation on KROQ/98.7. Phoenix - all the time. Arcade Fire, not too much these days...I remember "Ready to Start" occasionally when the Suburbs came out, and they were listed as new music adds for "Neighborhood #3" when Funeral came out.

  19. #49
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,037

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    How big is Madison Square Garden? MMJ sold that out recently. That's a genuine question. They also sold out Radio City Music Hall in 22 minutes. They played arenas and theaters on this recent tour, and sold almost all of them out.
    I saw them in June 2011 and only a bit more than 1,500 showed up in a half empty theater. First full length show in western canada since 2004 or 2005.

  20. #50
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I support this thread.

  21. #51

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    i agree that they don't sell enough tickets for a headliner, but i have no idea why. one of the best live bands around these days. i too have seen them play to half empty venues on their evil urges tour, and it pissed me off. circuital did get a fair amount of airplay on one of our stations here in SD, but still they don't have the kind of commercial success that a headliner usually has. although with coachella practically selling out before the lineup even comes out these days, it seems like they could book a band like this as the headliner and still be profitable. but realistically, they probably need their next album to be a bigger hit before they headline. kind of like how the black keys took off after their last 2 albums got huge.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

  22. #52
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    There is no chance The Black Keys could ever headline the year after they sub-headlined.

    Oh wait...
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  23. #53

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    If I had a time machine and traveled back five years and told you The Black Keys would be mainstream darlings who headline Coachella in 2012 I highly doubt anyone would have thought that was possible.
    The difference in that scenario is that 5 years ago the BK were largely unknown, so yes, few would have thought it possible. Two years ago, when they exploded, many would have thought it possible. Not probable, but definitely possible. The fact that El Camino kept the trajectory going up made this year's headline possible.

    MMJ are not unknown. At this point, they’ve already had 6-7 years of mainstream exposure. They never exploded like BK did. They’ve had moderate success, and yet never made the jump that would get them into headliner territory. The opportunity to become mainstream darlings has come and gone. They're not a hit single band, and their albums haven't sold well enough overall to compensate for that.

    10 years ago, I would have NEVER thought acts like Dre and Snoop would fit at Coachella, let alone headline.
    NEVER? Hip hop was already well established and huge in 2002, Dre/Snoop were from LA, and even though Coachella was in its infancy, it had already integrated hip hop artists.

    2001 – Gangstarr, Mos Def, Del tha funky homosapien,
    2002 – Mos Def, Pharcyde, KRS One

    You’re saying that knowing the popularity of hip hop at the time, knowing that LA was one of the two centers of hip hop culture in the country, and that Coachella was already booking hip hop artists, that you could have NEVER imagined that one of the biggest hip hop artist of that time could potentially headline a music festival in his own backyard within the next 10 years?

    You were pretty fucking clueless a decade ago. And not much has changed.

    My point is that these standards you are setting are completely non-existent.
    Also completely non-existent: The chances of MMJ headlining Coachella.

    MMJ is selling out big venues quickly and their most recent album got more mainstream attention than any of their previous releases.
    They’re not selling big venues out consistently. They play 3k-5k seat amphitheaters and auditoriums as the norm, and several people in this thread have already said even some of those have been half empty. Selling out Madison Square Garden (drawing from a metro area of 18 million people) for a date or two isn't extraordinary and isn’t the same as playing and selling out MSG-size arenas ALL OVER THE COUNTRY on a tour, which is what 95% of Coachella headliners can do.
    Last edited by mrhand; 04-07-2012 at 11:48 AM.

  24. #54
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,037

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    There is no chance The Black Keys could ever headline the year after they sub-headlined.

    Oh wait...
    There more I think about it the KEYS have the headline slot because of Sabbath & No Doubt pulling out. I also wondered if Foo Fighters and Coldplay(Bjork a long shot) were backup headliners. Keys have a very strong AEG connection and Coachella reinforces their branding power in the US and beyond.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    The difference in that scenario is that 5 years ago the BK were largely unknown, so yes, few would have thought it possible. Two years ago, when they exploded, many would have thought it possible. Not probable, but definitely possible. The fact that El Camino kept the trajectory going up made this year's headline possible.

    MMJ are not unknown. At this point, they’ve already had 6-7 years of mainstream exposure. They never exploded like BK did. They’ve had moderate success, and yet never made the jump that would get them into headliner territory. The opportunity to become mainstream darlings has come and gone. They're not a hit single band, and their albums haven't sold well enough overall to compensate for that.

    They’re not selling big venues out consistently. They play 3k-5k seat amphitheaters and auditoriums as the norm, and several people in this thread have already said even some of those have been half empty. Selling out Madison Square Garden (drawing from a metro area of 18 million people) for a date or two isn't extraordinary and isn’t the same as playing and selling out MSG-size arenas ALL OVER THE COUNTRY on a tour, which is what 95% of Coachella headliners can do.
    KEYS are simply more media savvy. $200 haircuts, tv licensing, possibly a better interview and were wise enough to steer clear of the "jam-band" tag which is a dealbreaker for some mainstream listeners.

  25. #55
    Member theecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    461

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by Tongue_Punch View Post
    To give MMJ justice the would need a 2 hours plus set. Vegoose just isn't around anymore. MMJ rocks and I would love to see them again.
    Something fishy went down with vegoose. The location and stage quality was poor. They definitely had to be profitable with each outing, even the lowest attendance year.

    Onto MMJ...Again, I wonder if a slot after the main stage act is probable? Perhaps a 8-10pm headliner and then my morning jacket 10:30-12:30/1am? Would you guys be down for this? Cause I would be ecstatic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    i agree that they don't sell enough tickets for a headliner, but i have no idea why. one of the best live bands around these days. i too have seen them play to half empty venues on their evil urges tour, and it pissed me off. circuital did get a fair amount of airplay on one of our stations here in SD, but still they don't have the kind of commercial success that a headliner usually has. although with coachella practically selling out before the lineup even comes out these days, it seems like they could book a band like this as the headliner and still be profitable. but realistically, they probably need their next album to be a bigger hit before they headline. kind of like how the black keys took off after their last 2 albums got huge.
    As a crazy long time fan, Evil Urges was admittedly, not their strongest outing. Maybe that had a factor as to little turnout?

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    If I had a time machine and traveled back five years and told you The Black Keys would be mainstream darlings who headline Coachella in 2012 I highly doubt anyone would have thought that was possible.

    The Killers were on the bottom line in 2004 and headlined the festival five years later.

    10 years ago, I would have NEVER thought acts like Dre and Snoop would fit at Coachella, let alone headline.

    My point is that these standards you are setting are completely non-existent. MMJ is selling out big venues quickly and their most recent album got more mainstream attention than any of their previous releases.
    THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

  26. #56
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    9,943

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I support this threads degradation of nbvcide's sense of self worth. It's far too expansive.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  27. #57

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Props to mrhand & Bumblebee. It's not that I wouldn't LIKE to see them headline, it's just not realistic.

    Then again like someone else pointed out (and as I have in the past), now that Coachella can sell out no problem...shouldn't they have more leeway w/ bookings?

  28. #58
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post


    The difference in that scenario is that 5 years ago the BK were largely unknown, so yes, few would have thought it possible. Two years ago, when they exploded, many would have thought it possible. Not probable, but definitely possible. The fact that El Camino kept the trajectory going up made this year's headline possible.
    And My Morning Jacket has gained a pretty big following over the past five years. They are on a path to where they could headline at some point in the future. And, we can all sit here in hindsight and give reasons why The Black Keys are logical headliners, but before the lineup was released very very few people thought they would headline even if they were repeats on the lineup. The lineup was released and they were there.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post

    MMJ are not unknown. At this point, they’ve already had 6-7 years of mainstream exposure. They never exploded like BK did. They’ve had moderate success, and yet never made the jump that would get them into headliner territory. The opportunity to become mainstream darlings has come and gone. They're not a hit single band, and their albums haven't sold well enough overall to compensate for that.

    Because your opinion is the authority on when a band's time to become mainstream has come and gone. They subbed four years ago and they are more popular today. That trend tells me that their time isn't up.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    NEVER? Hip hop was already well established and huge in 2002, Dre/Snoop were from LA, and even though Coachella was in its infancy, it had already integrated hip hop artists.

    2001 – Gangstarr, Mos Def, Del tha funky homosapien,
    2002 – Mos Def, Pharcyde, KRS One

    You’re saying that knowing the popularity of hip hop at the time, knowing that LA was one of the two centers of hip hop culture in the country, and that Coachella was already booking hip hop artists, that you could have NEVER imagined that one of the biggest hip hop artist of that time could potentially headline a music festival in his own backyard within the next 10 years?

    You were pretty fucking clueless a decade ago. And not much has changed.
    Ten years ago, Snoop Dogg and Dre would not have been a fit at Coachella. That's not the type of hip hop act GV chased back then. Listing Gang Starr, Mos Def, Pharcyde, etc. and saying "Look Coachella already booked hip hop" is pretty fucking retarded. They aren't even remotely close to the same style of hip hop. Gangsta Rap and G-Funk has been virtually non-existent leading up to Snoop and Dre. The artists you listed are lyricists that tend to be respected by the "real" hip hop heads and don't bring the same following. You fail you you should castrate yourself because, apparently, you think Sage Francis and Snoop Dogg go hand-in-hand. Dumb fuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post

    Also completely non-existent: The chances of MMJ headlining Coachella.
    I've heard this statement before. Quick, justify The Strokes being one of the headliners last year.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

  29. #59

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    LAAAAST NIIIIIIGHT

  30. #60

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    MMJ is a worthy headliner, in my opinion. Saw them headline at Bonnaroo in '11 and they fucking rocked

Similar Threads

  1. My Morning Jacket?!?!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
  2. My Morning Jacket...
    By PJandBompton in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 03:55 AM
  3. NEW MY MORNING JACKET!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
  4. My Morning Jacket!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 05:32 PM
  5. My Morning Jacket
    By Teamtoe in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •