Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

I think MMJ could easily headline as well. Last summer 101X in Austin played the shit out of "Holdin' on to Black Metal" and they headlined ACL the same night as Stevie Wonder and a shit ton of people left Stevie's lame set to go to MMJ and by One Big Holiday, they had a huge crowd. I don't think a huge mainstream appeal has much to do with anything within festivals. Arcade Fire headlined and had a huge crowd at Lolla 2010, bigger than Soundgarden who were the opposing headliner, and AF were hardly a mainstream band, and didn't get "that" way until they won a fucking Grammy and suddenly they were everywhere to the point where their set at Coachella was the best show I'd seen and their shows at Bonnaroo and ACL left a little more to be desired.

MMJ have broad appeal, hipsters love them, jam heads love them, and they're unclassifiable. But they were selling out nice sized theaters for Circuital, they've sold out MSG twice (including NYE of '08), they may not be that popular, but I think they can become an even bigger band then they are now and I don't think their popularity is going to stay the same or decrease, they've increased their fanbase with each release and it's not like these guys are over the hill, they're in their prime, continue to branch out and with a festival that's always looking for new headliners and to give a band that big push, headlining Coachella on their next album cycle almost seems like a no brainer. Plus I wouldn't worry about them selling tickets to both weekends, after the quick sell out they had this year, I don't think GV will have to worry about sell outs for a while, especially when Coachella is "the festival" in the states.

As for TBK, I didn't think they'd headline this soon after last year, but it makes sense now, I probably thought they wouldn't have been able to headline back in '09 yet alone become one of the biggest bands on the planet. After Lollapalooza 2010, I knew they'd be on to something and could possibly do it, and here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    And My Morning Jacket has gained a pretty big following over the past five years. They are on a path to where they could headline at some point in the future.
    Not big enough. I'm getting a good chuckle out of all the MMJ fans coming out of the woodwork with poms poms in hand, trying like hell to sell their favoritest band as a headliner though. How bout I start my own "Death From Above 1979 for 2013 headliner" thread, and run my own cheerleading section? Will that mean they're on a path to headline at some point in the future?

Because your opinion is the authority on when a band's time to become mainstream has come and gone. They subbed four years ago and they are more popular today. That trend tells me that their time isn't up.
    They can headline Bonnaroo (where Widespread Panic is considered headline material), Lollapalooza (with six "headliners") or Sasquatch. The top three at Coachella is a different story.

Ten years ago, Snoop Dogg and Dre would not have been a fit at Coachella. That's not the type of hip hop act GV chased back then. Listing Gang Starr, Mos Def, Pharcyde, etc. and saying "Look Coachella already booked hip hop" is pretty fucking retarded. They aren't even remotely close to the same style of hip hop.
    Of course, because the entire point of a music festival featuring dozens of different artists and styles of music is to make sure there's no variation at all within one genre. Why would Coachella adhere to that supposed sacred rule demanding uniformity within hip hop, when they were clearly doing exactly the opposite with all kinds of other musical styles? Talk about fucking retarded.

I've heard this statement before. Quick, justify The Strokes being one of the headliners last year.
    No need to justify it. They weren't headliners. Their set placement confirmed that.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    If I had a time machine and traveled back five years and told you The Black Keys would be mainstream darlings who headline Coachella in 2012 I highly doubt anyone would have thought that was possible.
    IMO, the KEYS success is correlative to the White Stripes imploding and Jack picking up drumsticks/focusing on releasing his line of novelty 45 RPMs.

It's happened in other ways like Blink 182 putting out a dog album and then SUM 41 stealing their thunder. Timberlake stole Michael Jackson career in 2001/2002 after MJ's dud album.

in some ways MMJ took up where PHISH left off, but then Phish came back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sexecutioner View Post
    I agree that they don't sell enough tickets for a headliner, but i have no idea why. one of the best live bands around these days. i too have seen them play to half empty venues on their evil urges tour, and it pissed me off.
    When they played Pemberton festival near Vancouver in 2008, MMJ around 7pm drew a noticably smaller crowd than Sam Roberts did a couple hours earlier in the day!!!

IMO, the reason is they simply don't have any penetration of radio/tv beyond a couple pockets. I've never thought any of the TV appearances translated their live experience accurately.
    Last edited by Bumblebee; 04-08-2012 at 01:09 AM.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    No need to justify it. They weren't headliners. Their set placement confirmed that.
    Strokes promoted their first album in half a decade with only 11 shows in the US. How many dozens of shows did MMj play. Bjork also got high billing because of the relatively rarity of her short tours stateside.

Again, I don't get why they aren't on the lineup this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    IMO, the KEYS success is correlative to the White Stripes imploding and Jack picking up drumsticks/focusing on releasing his line of novelty 45 RPMs.
    Hilarious. Reminds me of Boourns sig.

The lineup I'm sure is already decided but wouldn't it be nice to have them at the fest. Just a little refresh to get some more support going.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

Saw them for the first time in the late summer and was not that into them before, but was blown away by their live performance. Jim James is definitely a rock god.

Couldn't agree more. I saw them once for 50min at lolla in 2007 and it wasn't enough. They did a free show in SLC this year for 2 hours and mindfuckery happened. Such a glorious experience... need more of it

Quote Originally Posted by kneuller View Post
    Saw them for the first time in the late summer and was not that into them before, but was blown away by their live performance. Jim James is definitely a rock god.
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

In light of the upcoming release of the lineup. I support this thread.

Lets gather a little more support for 2014? I just dont want / wont let this wish die.