Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 71

Thread: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member theecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    466

    Default My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Everyone reading this has probably posted in a related wish for "my morning jacket 2010/11/12!!"

    Shall we continue with the tradition? "My morning jacket 2013 headliner!!!"

    I was just watching the okonokos DVD for the second or third time. I've listened to the CD portion a good 1000 times. Ladies and Gents, its on of the best concert vids I've ever seen. I've got to see them live, with a massive coachella crowd, producing an excellent positive energy vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

  2. #2
    old school
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,225

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    They got their own festival this year. Go there and enjoy their 5 hour set

  3. #3
    Member Dragonite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    No, because the headliners will be Phoenix-Daft Punk-Outkast next year.

  4. #4
    Member theecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    They got their own festival this year. Go there and enjoy their 5 hour set
    Yeah! But, that like, costs money.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    nomad's land
    Posts
    10,094

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    COACHELLA IS FREE
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

  6. #6
    Member theecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    ^ tell me more about this gypsy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

  7. #7
    Member Riggins33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    He's saying it's not free jackass, like the other festival it also cost's money.

  8. #8
    Member mikey1313666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF/LA
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Would be an amazing sub headliner next year. Not sure if they're a Coachella headliner just yet.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

  9. #9
    DJ SallyBear sbessiso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    27,896

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey1313666 View Post
    Would be an amazing sub headliner next year. Not sure if they're a Coachella headliner just yet.
    Bullshit. I would expect nothing less at this point. I'm tired of seeing every fucking clown headline, from Kings of Leon to Arcade Fire. This band actually deserves it
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

  10. #10
    Member mikey1313666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SF/LA
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Bullshit. I would expect nothing less at this point. I'm tired of seeing every fucking clown headline, from Kings of Leon to Arcade Fire. This band actually deserves it
    I completely agree with you. However the majority of people don't.
    MY NEW 2014 COACHELECTRO MIX! 58 of This Years Artists In Just 50 Minutes! FREE DOWNLOAD!
    https://soundcloud.com/taktik-3/the-...coachelectro-2

  11. #11
    Member Riggins33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Santa Monica
    Posts
    1,329

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    Bullshit. I would expect nothing less at this point. I'm tired of seeing every fucking clown headline, from Kings of Leon to Arcade Fire. This band actually deserves it
    Arcade fire>MMJ Plus their last album sucked.

  12. #12
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,698

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I really believe MMJ will headline if they ever play Coachella again. They're definitely ready to do it, and I think they have enough of a following. They wouldn't look out of place as the first name on a day, in my opinion.

  13. #13
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,543

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    He's irrational about Arcade Fire, there's no point in arguing with him about it. By engaging, you have already lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  14. #14
    DJ SallyBear sbessiso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SF
    Posts
    27,896

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I could say the same thing about you, miroir noir
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

  15. #15

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    This is a band I absolutely love, and I think they would more or less have to headline if they played again, but they would be a weak headliner (from a billing standpoint, not performance wise because they'd tear it up) at their current level of popularity. Sure they are more talented than KoL, Jack Johnson, Killers, etc, but at least those bands have significantly more radio play, and they were still dubbed the "weak headliners" of their years. I can't even name one My Morning Jacket song that I've ever heard on the radio. And an American Dad episode doesn't count as widespread exposure. That billing would leave a ton of people scratching their heads. If it happens, I hate to say it, but it would probably be a fallback choice. Outside of Arcade Fire, I can't think of one headliner that didn't either have current mainstream relevance or legendary status. Which sucks, because I'd love to see them at Coachella again, I just don't see it happening unless their next release breaks into the mainstream more.

  16. #16
    old school Goatchella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,798

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Was nice to see MMJ on the main stage at Roo.
    They started there playing on the smallest stage and grew a lot. Their music has evolved with every album. They have become more psychedelic and jammie. The early hard shit was rad but I really dig the latest stuff.
    They were great two years ago at OSL too. Really surprised me. I had planned on avoiding them, but while eating lunch they were on the main stage and I was blown away.

    Do not underestimate this band

  17. #17

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I would love to see MMJ at coachella and was surprised not to see them on the lineup this year, and although they are amazing they can't headline right now because no mainstream people even know their name, let alone songs etc..

    They are clearly headline worthy though if you just go off of performance
    Coachella 2010, 2011, 2012-2, 2013-2

  18. #18
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,543

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    MMJ isn't that much of a stretch. Over the course of their last tour cycle, they've been in the headliner tier at Bonnaroo, Lolla, and ACL. That's not to say they were among the top three billed acts at each of those fests (which is the Coachella definition of a headliner), but all the same, it wouldn't be some big shocker to see them headline at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  19. #19

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    MMJ isn't that much of a stretch. Over the course of their last tour cycle, they've been in the headliner tier at Bonnaroo, Lolla, and ACL. That's not to say they were among the top three billed acts at each of those fests (which is the Coachella definition of a headliner), but all the same, it wouldn't be some big shocker to see them headline at this point.
    Lolla has six headliners instead of three, and MMJ is a much better fit for the Bonnarroo/ACL fanbase. That audience would be overall more supportive and knowledgeable of MMJ than Coachella's audience (as a whole, once again I would LOVE to see MMJ at Coach again). Phish is headlining Bonny, would never headline Coach. Different strokes for different festivals.

  20. #20
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    41,040

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I would support this if they would promise to play Masterplan.

  21. #21
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,698

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I would support this if they would promise to play Masterplan.
    I like your style, TomAz. They really need to start embracing that song more.

  22. #22
    Member theecat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    466

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    I wonder if that special sound permit coachella was granted last two years could be used for a late night set after the "headliner" plays. I'm thinking we might be able to get a 2-3 hour show if they played the chemical brothers set time/ the dead weather. Now that'd be kickass.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Go in when doors open. Buy your shit. Go back to the car and lock it up. Get a beer at your car. Go back in. See some art. Watch first band.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    I really wish it was called Titter, I'd teet all day long if that were the case.

  23. #23

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by theecat View Post
    I wonder if that special sound permit coachella was granted last two years could be used for a late night set after the "headliner" plays. I'm thinking we might be able to get a 2-3 hour show if they played the chemical brothers set time/ the dead weather. Now that'd be kickass.
    I think the way to do it is schedule them against a headliner that they share the least fanbase with (Dre this year), and let them half overlap/half not for an extended set on the outdoor.

  24. #24
    old school ocbruin84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,816

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Will never headline at the level they are now. 1st band on the 2nd line for sure.

  25. #25
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,125

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Can we stop the "(insert random act here) is not a fit at Coachella" argument? Because it's complete bullshit.

    Unless we are talking modern Disney fabricated pop artists or Justin Bieber, pretty much anyone is a fit.
    fuck.

  26. #26
    old school HotHamWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    A thematic narrative
    Posts
    2,698

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Can we stop the "(insert random act here) is not a fit at Coachella" argument? Because it's complete bullshit.

    Unless we are talking modern Disney fabricated pop artists or Justin Bieber, pretty much anyone is a fit.
    Yeah, especially with a band that has played Coachella twice already (and billed pretty high the last time they played).

  27. #27
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,125

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Yeah, especially with a band that has played Coachella twice already (and billed pretty high the last time they played).
    Exactly. I don't see why My Morning Jacket can't headline if acts like The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Muse, The Killers and Jack Johnson can be elevated into headliner status at Coachella. Every year since 2008, Coachella has had a headliner that was on the undercard at some point in time prior to the time they obtained headliner status. If that trend continues next year, I don't see why it can't be My Morning Jacket in that spot.
    fuck.

  28. #28
    old school ocbruin84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,816

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Exactly. I don't see why My Morning Jacket can't headline if acts like The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Muse, The Killers and Jack Johnson can be elevated into headliner status at Coachella. Every year since 2008, Coachella has had a headliner that was on the undercard at some point in time prior to the time they obtained headliner status. If that trend continues next year, I don't see why it can't be My Morning Jacket in that spot.
    Problem: All those other bands you listed have received heavy radio play. Even Arcade Fire on KROQ. I've never heard MMJ on commercial rock radio.

  29. #29
    Coachella Junkie GuyInTucson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,125

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Problem: All those other bands you listed have received heavy radio play. Even Arcade Fire on KROQ. I've never heard MMJ on commercial rock radio.
    Holding on to Black Metal got plenty of radio play. If I hear it here in Tucson (a city that is known for outdated music stations) with frequency, I am sure they play it everywhere else often enough. Every year it seems like there is a band or act that certain folks believe isn't headliner worthy and they end up as a headliner on the poster. My Morning Jacket subbed four years ago and have only become more popular. Stick them as the "weak" headliner and, yeah, I can see it happening.
    fuck.

  30. #30
    Chest Rockwell Gribbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    20,106

    Default Re: My morning jacket 2013 headliner

    Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    Can we stop the "(insert random act here) is not a fit at Coachella" argument? Because it's complete bullshit.
    I think the only band that truly isn't a good fit is Phish. Phish play at least two really long sets at every festival they play... can't see that ever happening at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Similar Threads

  1. My Morning Jacket?!?!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
  2. My Morning Jacket...
    By PJandBompton in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 04:55 AM
  3. NEW MY MORNING JACKET!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 09:54 AM
  4. My Morning Jacket!
    By DaFunkyPrecedent in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 06:32 PM
  5. My Morning Jacket
    By Teamtoe in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •