Thread: Leaving campsite by car for LAX on Sunday night / Monday morning

Default Leaving campsite by car for LAX on Sunday night / Monday morning

Hi there,

I'm going to the second Coachella weekend - a couple of us are over on holiday from London. We're in LA before and hiring a car to drive from LA to the festival, and then car camping.

On Monday we are keen to get off site and to LAX as soon as possible... we're flying to San Fran on Monday and need to get there at a decent time, ideally mid afternoon, to pick up the keys for our accommodation. We've not booked out flight yet but need to ASAP.

My main question is, how easy is it to drive off site on Sunday night / Monday morning? Can you just drive off anytime? Are there huge queues to get off site? Huge queues to get out of Palm Springs? Does it make more sense to just leave at 1am and aim for a 6am flight? Rather than try and get some sleep and get up and leave in the morning and aim for a 3pm (?) flight....

We're going all out partying on thurs-sat so don't mind missing Sunday night campsite afterparty.

Anyone with any previous experiences, please let me know!!!!! Thanks.

Default Re: Leaving campsite by car for LAX on Sunday night / Monday morning

Quote Originally Posted by kirstymckie View Post
    Hi there,

I'm going to the second Coachella weekend - a couple of us are over on holiday from London. We're in LA before and hiring a car to drive from LA to the festival, and then car camping.

On Monday we are keen to get off site and to LAX as soon as possible... we're flying to San Fran on Monday and need to get there at a decent time, ideally mid afternoon, to pick up the keys for our accommodation. We've not booked out flight yet but need to ASAP.

My main question is, how easy is it to drive off site on Sunday night / Monday morning? Can you just drive off anytime? Are there huge queues to get off site? Huge queues to get out of Palm Springs? Does it make more sense to just leave at 1am and aim for a 6am flight? Rather than try and get some sleep and get up and leave in the morning and aim for a 3pm (?) flight....

We're going all out partying on thurs-sat so don't mind missing Sunday night campsite afterparty.

Anyone with any previous experiences, please let me know!!!!! Thanks.
    Actually Sunday nights revelry usually puts Thursday nights to shame! It has already been talked about but apparently while the day parking cars are leaving the fest at night no one is allowed to leave car camping according to PF but after day parking cars are gone you can leave camping whenever you want to.

i know, i know, i've heard sunday night is the best... but it just doesn't work with our accommodation in San Fran.

So we can leave after the day parking cars go? when would that be? 1am ish?

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for my lack of knowledge... have only experienced european festivals

Leave 3am
    1-2am lotta traffic

Quote Originally Posted by kirstymckie View Post
    i know, i know, i've heard sunday night is the best... but it just doesn't work with our accommodation in San Fran.

So we can leave after the day parking cars go? when would that be? 1am ish?

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for my lack of knowledge... have only experienced european festivals
    If you're renting a car, why aren't you just driving to San Francisco? I'm from the area and we're driving to/from the festival. Tickets to SF can actually be pretty pricey. It's cheaper to drive if you have two people. The drive, depending on what time you go, is about 8-9 hours.

If you leave at 8am, you would get to SF around 4pm. That would probably be about the same time you got to San Francisco after going through the airport.

Not sure what PF has said (someone have the link to the specific thread she commented on?), but last year we left while Kanye was on stage. We packed with him playing int he background and pulled out as he was ending. Many others were too. There was no traffic. Just be very careful. Because Kanye was still on stage, there were not a lot of pedestrians.

Leaving monday morning won't be a big deal. Most people party on sunday and are slow to leave so you have a steady stream of people leaving without any long delays.
    But as you get closer into LA, traffic will get worse as it's a Monday. My suggestion to you is to fly out of ontario airport instead of LAX. It will save you at least an hour of driving all the way across LA to LAX. Southwest airlines is the best/cheapest way to fly to San Francisco from the southern california area and they have plenty of flight options to choose from that I'm sure you'll find something that fits your schedule. Book your flight to SF based on what time you want to arrive and we can help you figure out what time you should leave coachella.

I don't know if this thread will help you, but here it is, just in case:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...-LAX-on-Monday
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1