Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMON TOBIN: ISAM

Default Re: AMON TOBIN: ISAM

ISAM was so freaking cool. I'll add stories after the weekend is done.

Caught like three minutes of it on the webcast, and was blown the fuck away.

Side note: the portion I saw sounded like he was playing a Noisia track, does he play non-original music in his sets?
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

Yes. He drops Noisia frequently - ISAM tour and dj sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by amma_sol View Post
    This is my number one Friday show
    Ditto. Coachella's best kept secret. (Friday PM/Saturday AM - April 20/21. I am there.)

I am a huge Tobin fan. My mind was completely melted, and I wouldn't trade the viewing for anything in the world. Also, if anybody from this weekend saw it, I had VIP and totally snuck up on stage to see the set up close, and had to pretend to be night crew. It... was pretty wicked. Drunk confidence + favourite artist = taking totally worthwhile risks.

This show made me utter 6 words I never thought I would say "Lets go see Swedish House Mafia"

Seriously, this show is the result of when a guy puts to much thought into visuals and nothing into the "music". It litterally just felt like he was pressing sounds off a kiddy toy where you just get a certain sound affect/siren with a coorpesponding flashing light. Its amazing how this guy gets so much attention from magazines and shit like "Must see acts of Coachella" articles, purely because of his visual setup, when people like Subfocus struggle to get any publicity in that world, yet have a seemingly superior setup and actually plays/dj's music to go with it.

Amon Tobin blew. Im pretty sure everyone was disappointed but they werent willing to admit it because that would also admit you wasted the most important timeslot of Firday
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Anyone know if Two Fingers played at the Do Lab? I was waiting for his set but it was Machinedrum that was playing during his time slot instead.
    FFFIIIIINNAAALLLLLYYYYYY

This set turned out to be everything I wanted it to be. A very enjoyable change of pace that was obviously visually stunning.

I left after 5 minutes. I couldn't see anything but the backs of people's heads and cameras, and it was too quiet with a lot of soundbleed from everywhere.
    I don't get why SHM would be the logical alternative when The Horrors were burning down the Gobi a few yards away.

Very underwhelming. Second what Juloxx said. Not even the visuals were that impressive to me. Bare in mind I dropped acid on Friday. Thank god the rapture/m8 made up for my friday night
    Superfan will be in front of the Fonda masturbating furiously to a photo of him taking a photo of a band. Set is from 8:05 to approximately 8:05:15. Guest list only.

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

ISAM is an experimental album. If you're familiar with the album ISAM or like experimental electronic music it's a must see live experience. If you go in wanting dance music, or a dj set it will probably disappoint you. I wasn't there this weekend but saw it at the Fonda last year and I personally place it in my top 10 shows of all time. I'm also a fan of the album though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

I love the music, the visual setup was secondary for me... I didn't know what to expect as I had not see him live until this weekend.

I'll admit, I was a little run down from the days activities at that point in the night, if he were on earlier (possibly right at sundown to maximize the visual experience) it would have been better. Still had a good time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicc View Post
    Fuck "themule"

Quote Originally Posted by brando4n82 View Post
    Very underwhelming. Second what Juloxx said. Not even the visuals were that impressive to me. Bare in mind I dropped acid on Friday. Thank god the rapture/m8 made up for my friday night
    this is all the evidence I need in regards to Tobin. Thanks.

It was a cool set, but the sound bleed was terrible on Friday night. Also there was a light shining right on the stage for a majority of the set but once that got turned off, the visuals were amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Donaldj View Post
    ISAM is an experimental album. If you're familiar with the album ISAM or like experimental electronic music it's a must see live experience. If you go in wanting dance music, or a dj set it will probably disappoint you. I wasn't there this weekend but saw it at the Fonda last year and I personally place it in my top 10 shows of all time. I'm also a fan of the album though.
    admittedly, i was tired enough (east coast FTW!) that I spent half the set curled up against the wall of the Sahara drifting in and out of a trance, but the music sounded pretty damned good to me; it reminded me a lot of DJ Spooky.

malcolmjamalaweful malcolmjama1awesome's Avatar

bored to tears should have stayed in the do lab

Yeah, this was unbelievably boring/underwhelming. And I really like Amon Tobin.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

The coolest possible way I could have ended Friday, and one of the hugest surprises for me... I'm glad I hadn't listened or watched anything of it beforehand, so I could just be completely awed by the experience. It's definitely not for dancing - more like an intense, mesmerizing sensory art trip, and it's a far cry from almost everything at the festival in terms of being conventional, commercial, or mainstream. Totally unforgettable. The music is not something I would listen to normally, but I loved the inventiveness and technological wizardry of this "set".

Re: hallucinogens, I was actually glad my stuff had worn off by this time. This shit is SOOO TRIPPY I think it probably would have freaked me out, and it's cool to just let your brain absorb the awesome spectacle.
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    If someone tries to tap and blow, tell them to forget the tap part.

An unfamiliar name I looked up from seeing the line up this year, and he quickly rose to the top of my to-see list. Though I would recommend researching the act first if you're unfamiliar. Otherwise you'll just end up like one of the whiners here expecting something to fist pump to and take up space. If you are looking to have the trip of a lifetime this is it.

I walked in, posted up in the front middle of the crowd, and didn't move an inch until he finished. The visuals were amazing, which is obviously to be expected, matching up with crunchy, synthy, mechanical sounds that throttle your ears, backed by the kind of low bass that you feel all in your intestines. And you can see all of these noises translated on the wall of boxes, with a surprising range of capabilities. I felt as if every change in sounds, samples, or visuals merged with my senses in a way that slowly wrapped around my nerves until I was completely paralyzed, held a wide-eyed captive to the stage. I bobbed my head to the danceable parts of the performance, but my eyes were still locked on. By the time he got to Kitty Kat I could not sense any of myself, only the sound in the atmosphere around me, and I was melting into the floor. He had me exactly where he wanted me, and that was all in his dark and mysterious visions. Once the set ended I was all there but my mind felt significantly more disoriented, so I stumbled back to my tent to pass out. I have never had a trip like that in my life, and I've never felt more connected to an artist, as if he has been my transcendental guide.

TL;DR Amon Tobin fucked me up!!!
    Get on it while you can

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SmittyJoe View Post
    An unfamiliar name I looked up from seeing the line up this year, and he quickly rose to the top of my to-see list. Though I would recommend researching the act first if you're unfamiliar. Otherwise you'll just end up like one of the whiners here expecting something to fist pump to and take up space. If you are looking to have the trip of a lifetime this is it.

I walked in, posted up in the front middle of the crowd, and didn't move an inch until he finished. The visuals were amazing, which is obviously to be expected, matching up with crunchy, synthy, mechanical sounds that throttle your ears, backed by the kind of low bass that you feel all in your intestines. And you can see all of these noises translated on the wall of boxes, with a surprising range of capabilities. I felt as if every change in sounds, samples, or visuals merged with my senses in a way that slowly wrapped around my nerves until I was completely paralyzed, held a wide-eyed captive to the stage. I bobbed my head to the danceable parts of the performance, but my eyes were still locked on. By the time he got to Kitty Kat I could not sense any of myself, only the sound in the atmosphere around me, and I was melting into the floor. He had me exactly where he wanted me, and that was all in his dark and mysterious visions. Once the set ended I was all there but my mind felt significantly more disoriented, so I stumbled back to my tent to pass out. I have never had a trip like that in my life, and I've never felt more connected to an artist, as if he has been my transcendental guide.

Get on it while you can
    finally a real review

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    This show made me utter 6 words I never thought I would say "Lets go see Swedish House Mafia"

Seriously, this show is the result of when a guy puts to much thought into visuals and nothing into the "music". It litterally just felt like he was pressing sounds off a kiddy toy where you just get a certain sound affect/siren with a coorpesponding flashing light. Its amazing how this guy gets so much attention from magazines and shit like "Must see acts of Coachella" articles, purely because of his visual setup, when people like Subfocus struggle to get any publicity in that world, yet have a seemingly superior setup and actually plays/dj's music to go with it.

Amon Tobin blew. Im pretty sure everyone was disappointed but they werent willing to admit it because that would also admit you wasted the most important timeslot of Firday
    A lot of people loved it. If you were looking for an easy, dancey beat, then yea, you were probably better off at SHM. Amon Tobin's sound is far from traditional. It's a journey.

Don't waste your time....

Too many drugged out retards trying to film the whole thing..it's really good, but the cameras killed it.

Sorry to the guy I bonked on the head with the hula hoop. Filming a visual set is retarded and you were ruining the show for everyone behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by iGz89 View Post
    Anyone know if Two Fingers played at the Do Lab? I was waiting for his set but it was Machinedrum that was playing during his time slot instead.
    Fuck yes.....killed it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Don't waste your time....

Too many drugged out retards trying to film the whole thing..it's really good, but the cameras killed it.

Sorry to the guy I bonked on the head with the hula hoop. Filming a visual set is retarded and you were ruining the show for everyone behind you.
    i loved this set, perfect way to end my day (fri was my most stacked so i was running around all day) but i do agree, it was really annoying constantly being interrupted by people filiming the show with their cameras up in the air
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

TL;DR I was on a lot of drugs and would enjoy anything as long as it had lights and a cooresponding sound. It doesnt matter what the sound is, just a sound. It could be Ellen De Generes repeating the word "rectum" over and over, as long as I am on drugs and it had lights, its a good set.
    Get on it while you can
    fixed some of that for you

Also, you are implying that the same people that CHOSE to go to this set over SHM are still the same people that are "fist pumpers"? Please. Go do more drugs and play with this

If that toy had LED's it would be more coherent than Amon Tobins set...... and it actually plays music
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Amon Tobin was amazing. It was funny seeing all the people there expecting to dance and leaving about 15 minutes into the set. This guy in front of me kept jumping up and down every time he thought the bass was about to drop and of course that never happened so he left. It was the perfect comedown end to an amazing Friday. I almost missed this show because I was battling a cold and felt like packing it in for the night, but I'm so glad I didn't.

Har dee harr harr, if only that were true. Then I'd be able to listen to Swedish House Mafias overplayed songs some more. I was just poking fun at the who hated it because they expected something other than a psychedelic trip. But hey, bring that thing next year and I'll rock the shit out of it

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    fixed some of that for you

Also, you are implying that the same people that CHOSE to go to this set over SHM are still the same people that are "fist pumpers"? Please. Go do more drugs and play with this

If that toy had LED's it would be more coherent than Amon Tobins set...... and it actually plays music
    I thought you were the big tripper in town. Pissed cause your hook failed you?

Get on it while you can
    Sounds like you had some awesome Shrooms.

But I was there for about 10 mintues, sounded cool and looked cool but I think you need to be up close to really get into it. It wont catch your attention and make you watch if you just walking by and have no idea who is playing. Just matters what your in the mood for at that time slot @ coachella, you wanna fist pump orrrr just trip?

I gotta agree with Juloxx here... having seen this show twice, looking back I realize I watched a tech demo of projection mapping technology set to some machine shop/foley artist music. I enjoyed it for sure but in terms of an actual musical/emotional experience (let's talk Daft Punk for a second!)... this was not that.