Thread: Questions from a UK visitor

Default Questions from a UK visitor

First time Coachella goer, coming from London.

Got a couple of questions I hope you veterans can help me answer.

What's the best way to get from Santa Monica to the festival / will call pick up? We won't have a car until after the festival (we are continuing up to San Fran afterwards). Will we also need to arrange transport from the box office to the festival?

Is it easier to get back to Palm Springs or LAX after the festival? We'll be picking up a car from one of these airports Again what would your advice be transport wise?

I'd really appreciate your advice, hopefully you old timers can help out.

Many thanks,

M

Default Re: Questions from a UK visitor

Honestly it's going to be next to impossible to get around those places without a car... Santa Monica alone is a good 3 hours from the fest.. Willcall is 3 miles from the fest and you will need to figure out your own means of getting there but they do have shuttle passes you can buy... And palm springs is only about 45 minutes away but still with no car that's going to be a journey... Are you camping?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    have fun being lame, we'll be in the campgrounds getting all future freaky and shit.

Yeah, we're camping. Not car camping though.

Would you recommend we just pick up the car in LA and get a parking space at Coachella then? Seems like the easiest way to do it, I'm just reluctant to pay for 4 days extra car hire and have it sitting in a parking lot.

Carpool or Greyhound from Santa Monica probably your best bet. I'm sure there will be plenty of fine people who will give you a lift from will call to the site too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by MyCurtain View Post
    First time Coachella goer, coming from London.

Got a couple of questions I hope you veterans can help me answer.

What's the best way to get from Santa Monica to the festival / will call pick up? We won't have a car until after the festival (we are continuing up to San Fran afterwards). Will we also need to arrange transport from the box office to the festival?

Is it easier to get back to Palm Springs or LAX after the festival? We'll be picking up a car from one of these airports Again what would your advice be transport wise?

I'd really appreciate your advice, hopefully you old timers can help out.

Many thanks,

M
    I'd suggest getting a carpool'd ride out to Indio to pick up your tickets for will call and get dropped off at your lodgings. $20usd per head should suffice the driver. Perhaps some tasty UK treats will help sweeten the deal.

To get a car, pick up one in palm springs, just make sure you can drop it off somewhere in SF as Palm Springs is next door to Indio.

Absolutely get a car when you get to LA. 10 freeway east to jefferson exit takes you to coachella. After the festival take 10 west to either 5 north or 101 north. the 101 is more scenic. good luck!
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Quote Originally Posted by hippityhip View Post
    Absolutely get a car when you get to LA. 10 freeway east to jefferson exit takes you to coachella. After the festival take 10 west to either 5 north or 101 north. the 101 is more scenic. good luck!
    if you have time to linger - do this, its a few hours more with some amazing stops on the way up to SF.

As a Californian, the 101 is a much better route than the 5; the 5 itself is faster, but far more speed traps and nothing but flat boring land.

I'm just reluctant to pay for 4 days extra car hire and have it sitting in a parking lot.
    You could even rent the car for the day you arrive. Land in Santa Monica, rent a car, drive to Will Call, drop off the rental in Indio, take a taxi to the camp grounds.
    ayyo check out some of my Coachella 2014 pics:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedestr...7623900536594/

Thanks for your help everyone.

Providing I can get a parking space at Coachella (likely at this stage? I know there's no car-camping left), I think we're just gonna pay for a car. A little more money for a lot less hassle.

Thanks for the journey advice. We've got just over a week to work our way up the 101 after the festival.

Providing I can get a parking space at Coachella (likely at this stage? I know there's no car-camping left), I think we're just gonna pay for a car. A little more money for a lot less hassle.

Thanks for the journey advice. We've got just over a week to work our way up the 101 after the festival.
    if you have a tent camping spot you automatically get a parking spot its just in a separate parking lot from your camping space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamwelting View Post
    have fun being lame, we'll be in the campgrounds getting all future freaky and shit.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklite View Post
    if you have a tent camping spot you automatically get a parking spot its just in a separate parking lot from your camping space.
    yes, if you are staying at the onsite tent camping then you automatically have a place to park your car. there is a "tent only" parking lot. no need to try and find a car camping or companion parking pass. There is time however to find someone on the message boards that has room in their car for you & your mates to get to the festival from LAX.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

when you get your car...make sure you have a tom-tom or some kind of electronic device for directions...as the US it can get difficult with all the freeways. In California drive with the traffic speed - don't worry about the speed limit...sounds weird, but true....just don't drive faster than traffic is going and you'll be fine.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Are you guys arriving in Santa Monica? I'm driving to coachella from LA by myself so I might be able to help you guys out. How many people are you coming with?

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    when you get your car...make sure you have a tom-tom or some kind of electronic device for directions...as the US it can get difficult with all the freeways. In California drive with the traffic speed - don't worry about the speed limit...sounds weird, but true....just don't drive faster than traffic is going and you'll be fine.
    Yeah, I have lived here 10 years and I need GPS to get around Southern California. Very easy to get confused on freeway merges. Just avoid the above advice on the speed limit, keep within the posted limit. You don't want a ticket in a hire car on a foreign driving license, it gets seriously complicated.

A good piece of advice is check the driving laws in the US/California. There are some things that are different from the UK-stopping for school buses, right turn on stop lights etc.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    In California drive with the traffic speed - don't worry about the speed limit...sounds weird, but true....just don't drive faster than traffic is going and you'll be fine.
    FALSE. Do speed limit especially on the 101. I lost count on how many times My friends and I have been pulled over by California Highway Patrol even doing 5 over speed limit.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    A good piece of advice is check the driving laws in the US/California. There are some things that are different from the UK-stopping for school buses, right turn on stop lights etc.
    Sound advice.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

We've got just over a week to work our way up the 101 after the festival.
    Great choice. Leave early morning so you can enjoy the beautiful scenery and amazing weather. Also this will give you time to pull over and enjoy the beach for a bit. Bring a camera!

Oh and make sure to check th SF thread on this forum and ask locals about cool shit to do when you make it up north.

Welcome to California. Enjoy!
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1

Quote Originally Posted by hippityhip View Post
    FALSE. Do speed limit especially on the 101. I lost count on how many times My friends and I have been pulled over by California Highway Patrol even doing 5 over speed limit.
    which section of 101?

Aside from King City, I've driven 101 at flow-of-traffic speeds, including above 80, consistently for years.

I've been told before that this may be a bay area vs. southern california difference in the way the authorities enforce the law.

101 @ universal city is 50mph or 55mph, been Pulled over for 60-65

One easy example

Basically go speed limit on downward slopes

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh, the magical speed trap of King City. How much fun we've spent on the side of the highway out there over the years.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Yeah I have a buddy at Nevada Highway Patrol and he hears the 'I thought you have to drive with the traffic' or 'it is okay to go 5 mph over the posted limit' excuse all the time.

Two years ago my brother from England got a ticket in Riverside for 1-5mph over. They are a pain in the butt to deal with and traffic school isn't an option.

Wow looks like i was lucky, road-tripped all over the states last year, CA to NYC, including the 101 quite a few times, always doing about 70/80 and never got pulled once.
    @dannycradden

Friday.
    Austra > Jagwar Ma > A$AP Ferg > Flume > The Glitch Mob > Bonobo > Haim > Broken Bells > Outkast

Saturday.
    Temples > Blood Orange > Warpaint > Banks > Washed Out > Solange > CHVRCHES > Lorde

Sunday.
    Jhene Aiko > AlunaGeorge > The 1975 > Classixx > Chance the Rapper > James V. McMorrow > Lana Del Rey > Disclosure

*please*

As others have said, it will be much easier to rent a car, the rates when wanting from the UK aren't too bad anyways.

Or go down the car pool route, someone said bring some treats from the UK, chocolate hob nobs (if kept cool in the SoCal heat) will get you far...!

Enjoy your first Coachella!

Ask in the carpools thread, there's plenty of people willing to help out