Thread: AT&T Wifi

Default AT&T Wifi

Hey - I see in the FAQ that they say AT&T Wifi will be "available to attendees at Coachella". Does anyone know how it works? Is it free? Do you have to have a cell plan with them to use it? Is there a per session or day charge? Coming from Canada and curious as to how it will work. Last couple of years texting to friends to try and meet up has been brutal....some texts show up hours later, and with wifi we can use iPod touch "Messages" app for free.

Thanks!

Default Re: AT&T Wifi

I may or may not(legal) work for AWS (AT&T Wi-Fi services)

Does anyone know how it works? - AWS will deploy 7-11 clusters of access points around the festival. You can normally see the mast and cluster array if you look around.
    It's the same service that is at Starbucks just a larger scale.

Is it free? - Normally yes, if you have an att iphone or any att smart phone just turn on your wifi radio and it will auto connect, the ssid is attwifi.
    sometimes the charge is 2.99 for 24 hrs of connectivity. (attached the the MAC address of your device) Depends on the contract with the venue.

Do you have to have a cell plan with them to use it? no but if you do that will make it free for sure (if not free already)

Is there a per session or day charge? maybe, normally its free. If you have any att service (uverse, celphone, @att.net email) you can login with that for free.

Coming from Canada and curious as to how it will work. Last couple of years texting to friends to try and meet up has been brutal....some texts show up hours later, and with wifi we can use iPod touch "Messages" app for free.

The service is still hit or miss it too gets overloaded (not really att's fault they are limited on the amount of 'shit' that can be hung around the venue). Just connect to ssid 'attwifi' and try to go to any website (google.com) and you will be redirect to a splash page that will explain how to login (unless you use an att smartphone in which case you will just 'WISPr' on seamlessly.
    Last edited by fibes; 03-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks Fibes!

Right on, I was hoping there'd be Wifi

Wifi at Coachella? I mean, do you really need to check in at the mojave tent to show everyone you saw this underground band?

or perhaps you feel the need to update your photos right away? That email from work can't wait?

This whole festival was a reason to disconnect from all that bullshit for a few days.

You can use iMessage with wifi, instead of using your texts. I don't think he was talking about needing wifi for any of that crap.

Thanks for the info Fibes! And no, I don't tweet, facebook or any of that shit. I just wanna be able to text my friends around the polo grounds for meetups and get my updated damn Canucks scores!!! I'm on Telus here in Vancouver - have to check and see what US carrier they switch to when we're down there.

You will be taxed severely. Just know that.

Taxed?..what kind of tax? Should be no roaming charges because I'm not using my phone or data plan.....what taxes are you referring to. Fibes?....any insight?

the only way you will ever get charged or taxed for attwifi service is if you enter a credit card on the login page.

he maybe referring to your body and mind being taxed and not wanting to pull that laptop/phone out haha

even if you use your att smartphone to connect there is no charge or tax..

http://www.att.com/Common/indc/popup...asic_popup.htm <-- this examples the free service perfectly..

It would be nice to get WiFi in camping at night or in the morning. You could stream music or check in with friends and family back home real quick.

Coachella is hardly "getting away from it all" though, there are houses and Starbucks right next to it.

well those houses developed right after coachella moved in :P

and becareful with wifi at places or even turning your phone off airplane mode, phone companies love to charge up the wazoo between US and canada

Quote Originally Posted by joh_n View Post
    It would be nice to get WiFi in camping at night or in the morning. You could stream music or check in with friends and family back home real quick.

Coachella is hardly "getting away from it all" though, there are houses and Starbucks right next to it.
    There's free wifi in the campgrounds at the Internet Cafe.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Oh and its slow as fuck.

I hope everyone who used the computers at the internet cafe in the campground realized they were on tinychat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    well those houses developed right after coachella moved in :P

and becareful with wifi at places or even turning your phone off airplane mode, phone companies love to charge up the wazoo between US and canada
    I work for a cell company in Canada. Turn your data off when roaming and stay off the phone (for voice calls). Limit your outbound text messaging and you'll be fine.

Also, all Canadian carriers carry US roaming plans for voice, data and text. Add them if you feel you will need it. It's a lot cheaper then regular pay-per-use. I do plan on adding some roaming since we'll be in the country for 2 weeks.

6 god damn text from a producer in canada trying to get an actress' # cost me $7
    *#$#!

Hahaha. It's all about your providers rates. I know you Americans in general seem to be worse off coming here then the other way around. Hell, I can text my buddy in Seattle at no cost to me, but he can't text back without being billed for International texting.

Quote Originally Posted by joh_n View Post

To be fair coachella might as well be an island for some of us. I don't leave the venue or campgrounds from Thursday to Monday.

Yes! I hope this means that my at&t smart phone will receive incoming text messages in a timely fashion. That's really all I want.

I am visiting Vancouver the weekend before Coachella to meet up with friends that we made at the fest last year. Then we are all going to Weekend 2. Am I better off not using my phone while I am in Canada???