Thread: Car Camping Dilemmas for anyone with small cars?

Question Car Camping Dilemmas for anyone with small cars?

Anybody take small cars and are able to fit everything in it while having four people? In pictures everybody seems to own a truck or SUV :/. I wish I had a roof rack . I have a Mazda3.

Default Re: Car Camping Dilemmas for anyone with small cars?

When I went with my group of 4 and drove a expedition it was packed to the BRIM. I am going with 1 other friend in her prius.. I think that should be fine cause its just 2 of us and we can use the back seats. It seems like its gonna be a tight squeeze in your Mazda... There are camping questions threads already made. Try not to make new threads unless they are awesome..
    “Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.” - Albert Einstein
    “Music is a safe kind of high" - Jimi Hendrix
    “Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.” - Robert Fripp
    “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” - Bill Cosby

It's entirely feasible if y'all pack light and share tents.
    You can always take the Ralph shuttle to pick up your beverages, food, snacks and other small accessories to save space in the car while coming in.
    There's always room on the passengers' laps for stuff, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KORNfed View Post
    Anybody take small cars and are able to fit everything in it while having four people? In pictures everybody seems to own a truck or SUV :/. I wish I had a roof rack . I have a Mazda3.
    no roof rack, no problem...

-------------------------------
    Coachella
    2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012.1
    Lollapalooza
    1991, 1992, 2003

I have 2007 4 door ford focus, Last year we camped and fit an easy up 2 coolers 2 flats of bottled water, a large storage tub with various camping supplies, 3 collapsable chairs, 2 yoga mats, 3 rolled up sleeping bags, various tote bags, 3 grown women and our respective duffle bags full of clothes and toiletries. It was tight and our strategic packing got a little fucked up after the security search, but we made that shit WERK! It is possible.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicIsMyBoyfriend View Post
    I have 2007 4 door ford focus, Last year we camped and fit an easy up 2 coolers 2 flats of bottled water, a large storage tub with various camping supplies, 3 collapsable chairs, 2 yoga mats, 3 rolled up sleeping bags, various tote bags, 3 grown women and our respective duffle bags full of clothes and toiletries. It was tight and our strategic packing got a little fucked up after the security search, but we made that shit WERK! It is possible.
    Oh my god! I wish you would have taken pictures of your packing masterpiece MusicIsMyBoyfriend!! Did you end up having more room after you left? I guess I should practive sticking things in my trunk to see what ways work lol.

Yeah going home was easier, less water/food to store. It was quite the masterpiece, we got shocked compliments. But yeah didnt think to take pictures of it all once we got it crammed in.... we were too excited to get on the road. But yeah practice and patience are a must, it's kind of a puzzle, but you can do it. I thank my dad for my packing skills, he was always a bit intense about proper packing techniques on family vacations. It was annoying at the time but now I am thankful for his somewhat anal teachings.
    2005, 2007, 2011, 2012 W1, 2012 W2, 2013 W1, 2013 W2, 2014 W1, 2014 W2 and SOON 2015 W1 & 2015 W2!!

Your Mazda is tiny, but I camped for a few years with my G35. After getting repainted recently and a new kit, it has been retired from Coachella.

Find an SUV for the weekend, its far more practical and you can actually share car space with others.

Ah!! But measuring the truck I can take would take away a lot of room and I don't want to invade someone elses space. It's a Gmc Sierra.

Ah!! But measuring the truck I can take would take away a lot of room and I don't want to invade someone elses space. It's a Gmc Sierra.
    I take my extended cab Silverado.. it doesn't invade others space at all. It takes up more of my space but Im not worried about any area that my canopy isn't covering.
    COACHELLA '06 '07 '09 '11 '12(2) '14(1)

plus the bed makes for good storage space. throw a mattress back there and sleep in it.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

My car camping Aussie neighbors last year fit 7 girls and all their stuff in a 4 seater. You can do it. Might have stuff on your laps but very doable. Truck works good too since there are only 4 of you (assuming has extra seats inside the cab.)
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

I'm taking my GTI for the first time this year. It's just me and a friend though so we're folding down my back seats, which should provide more than enough space. More campground space is always a plus too.

Do you have any friends attending Coachella? We were 5 people in a Mazda 3-esqe car last year so we handed some stuff to some friends we met up with in Indio.

Maybe you could offer something in exchange for some space to place stuff in someones car? Shouldn't be hard to find someone on the forum since you're from LA, and you could make friends.

I guess I should practice sticking things in my trunk to see what ways work lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fetuspiniata View Post
    I was waiting for someone to see that in a dirty way lol

We rented a Jeep Commander in 2010. It got the job done and only cost us $19/day, if your having doubts just rent something.

Camped last year in a Yaris. 3 people + all our stuff... that was a 2-hour Tetris game.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Camped last year in a Yaris. 3 people + all our stuff... that was a 2-hour Tetris game.
    still not eligible for carpoolchella

Well, Big and tall motorists need inside space in order to enter, properly run and exit a vehicle. Forget about chop shop stories like that of former National Basketball Association center Manute Bol, who at 7-foot-7 was forced to take away the front seat of his first car so that he might drive from the back. Unmodified, the following selections have the sort of vehicle width and length that make large people cringe. They are genuinely among the worst cars for giant people. Get a used car buy that lets you fit in the car properly.

what the fuck?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhand View Post
    Keep on chugging. 788 more posts and you can submit your application.
    PARTYNEXTDOOR for 2014