Thread: Mydesert.com/Desert Sun articles RE: Coachella 2012

Default Mydesert.com/Desert Sun articles RE: Coachella 2012

Because we know GPS will start a thread for each new article.

INDIO — The Indio Planning Commission on Wednesday night unanimously denied a San Jose couple's request for a temporary parking permit that would have allowed them to operate a parking lot on their land across from the Empire Polo Club during two of the city's largest music events.

The 5-0 vote upheld an earlier denial by city staff to Sara and Victor Cuecuecha's permit request.

The couple says they will appeal the decision to the City Council.

“I feel really that my property rights have been usurped. I can't do anything with my property. I have a lot of issues with this,” said Sara Cuecuecha.

The couple lives in San Jose, but owns the property at 50-200 Monroe St. For the past six years, they have used the nearly four-acre vacant lot as a parking area where attendees of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and Stagecoach could pay $20 to park.

On a good night, they say, they made more than $8,000 pulling in as many as 400 cars.

Those two events bring in hundreds of thousands of people from across the world.

For the first time this year, Coachella has been expanded to two weekends and will run April 13-15 and 20-22. Stagecoach runs April 27-29.

Since Sara Cuecuecha is the aunt of Councilwoman Lupe Ramos Watson, who was co-owner of the land up until a few years ago, it's unclear how her participation in the appeal would work. Watson could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

One of the main reasons city staff denied the request is that there was a change in traffic and pedestrian flow that does not allow people to walk along Monroe Street into the concert area.

“We've made several changes this year. There is no pedestrian access between Avenue 49 and Avenue 52,” said Joe Lim, planning manager.

The city has been working with residents in the area to address concerns such as jaywalkers and trespassers who urinate and defecate on property and ride people's animals.

Eliminating walking along that street will help reduce those problems, he said.

Also, additional parking has been added by the venues so there is plenty of parking and no need for the Cuecuechas' parking lot to handle overflow.

City officials said they are also worried about what so many more cars would do to the flow of traffic after the festival.

Over the years, though, the Cuecuechas have invested time and money in improving their parking lot and believe they should have the right to run such an operation on their property despite the city's concerns.

The vacant lot surrounded by palm trees has large parking lot lights, a few generators to provide electricity during the concerts and temporary fencing and bathrooms that are brought in during the events.

The couple says they purchased a tractor to prep the space before and after the events.

“We've made a lot of investments to make this work,” said Sara Cuecuecha.

The Cuecuechas also are concerned about the loss of jobs that will be suffered by temporary workers they hire for the events.

Angelica R. Olivares, a tenant of the Cuecuechas who lives in front of the lot, works for the couple during the events. She relies on the extra income to pay her electricity bill.

“There's a lot of people that work there too, they benefit from it,” said Olivares.
    I saw these people operating last year. I remember feeling bad for the people that were parking in it (I was torn between feeling bad and thinking they were idiots...but someone new to the festival may not have known there was free parking); they paid $20 and still had to walk to the free parking lot on 52 to enter the festival.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Default Re: Mydesert.com/Desert Sun articles RE: Coachella 2012

No more super annoying low flying planes during quiet sets

The Federal Aviation Administration will stop aircraft from flying low over the Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals.

The "Notice to Airmen" means that people won’t be able to have low-flying banner advertisements or drop anything to the tens of thousands of concertgoers who flock to the Empire Polo Club in Indio.

FAA officials will also be onsite to make sure pilots abide by the new regulations, which prohibit aircraft from flying below 2,000 feet when they are within a two-mile radius of the polo grounds.

The flight limitation comes four years after someone sprinkled pro-President Obama confetti over the concert venue and more than a dozen Indio neighborhoods.

It was announced today by U.S. Sen. Barbara Boxer, who requested it after discussions with Indio Police Chief Richard Twiss.

“When Chief Twiss alerted me to his concern that there were too many low-flying aircraft at the festival, I immediately contacted the FAA,” Boxer, a Rancho Mirage Democrat, said in a statement today.

“I am very pleased that the FAA is taking these steps to help ensure the safety of local residents and the tens of thousands of people who attend the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival and Stagecoach Country Music Festival each year.”

The Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals are held during three weekends in April.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

The city has been working with residents in the area to address concerns such as jaywalkers and trespassers who urinate and defecate on property and ride people's animals.
    Who are these people who defecate and ride animals? I must meet them.

Everybody gets a kick out of those planes. Kiss my ass Barbara Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    Everybody gets a kick out of those planes. Kiss my ass Barbara Boxer
    Oh yeah, totally. There is nothing more thrilling than seeing a HARD plane announce that Skrillex will be at their next event.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

http://mycoachella.com/2012/03/20/da...la-fans-heart/

Article about Danny Devito not coming.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrcandyman View Post
    Who are these people who defecate and ride animals? I must meet them.
    lol too funny

Even Danny DeVito knows the lineup is bollocks.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

he'll be doing heroin to prepare for the next season of 'it's always sunny...'
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Even Danny DeVito knows the lineup is bollocks.
    He hates the Sahara line up

He was kidnapped and taken to Aquabania!
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Well if people have legitimate concerns over the amount of air traffic above a heavily populated festival I guess I can do without the tiny sense of accomplishment I feel after actually reading an entire message scrolling across a plane thousands of feet away while completely out of my mind.

I guess.
    Last edited by Ferris Wheeler; 03-20-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Noooooooooooooo!

extending this thread....

Goldenvoice looks to hire 200 for fests

Job fair scheduled for Friday in Indio

The Los Angeles-based Goldenvoice company will hold a job fair Friday seeking local residents to fill up to 200 jobs at its Coachella and Stagecoach music festivals in April.

The fair will run from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at an office space at 45149 Smurr St. in Indio.

Available positions include on- and off-site customer service, camping, lost and found, toll booth staff, and stagehands. Complete job descriptions may be viewed at the Smurr Street office beginning Wednesday.

more - http://www.mydesert.com/article/2013...hire-200-fests
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Paging Tucker Gumber.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Paging Tucker Gumber.
    I don't think Tucker will be posting around here anymore.

Being a stagehand would be an awesome, although really hard, job.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Being a stagehand would be an awesome, although really hard, job.
    It is. I hope they're not just hiring people as stagehands that have no experience, that is an incredible liability.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Depends on what they would be doing. I have seen pretty much the same crew every year at the stages that handle the actual onstage work. Guys actually fly in from other states year after year for a few weeks because they love working the fest so much. Maybe it's more for setup and tear down before and after the fests? If it is just guys rolling cases back and forth I could see them being trained in what to do pretty quickly, too.

2013 Coachella Festival sales to open April 3 to some Coachella Valley residents

- Goldenvoice says complete details will be released later in the week

http://www.mydesert.com/article/2013...lley-residents
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -