Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tool recording this summer...

Default Re: Tool recording this summer...

They never disappoint

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Motherfucker, you know you've been looking for an excuse to see Sublime w/ Rome.
    They put every single band I would wanna see on the other day. What am I going to watch? Coheed & Cambria? Scissor Sisters and Diplo?

It also looks like they are only giving Tool an 75 mins? On the second longest day of the year, the sun won't even be all the way down by the time they finish. Datsik has a longer set. FUCK YOU LIVENATION!!
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 06-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

No, I hear ya. If you didn't catch the spring tour I'd recommend it, but the fact that it's a festival makes me leery of, "Ticks and Leeches," "Pushit," "Parabloa," or even "Hooker" although I could seem them keeping that as the festival opener, appropriately so.

Hooker
    Jambi
    Stinkfist
    Sober?
    Schism
    Intenstion
    46&2
    Lateralus
    The Pot
    Aenima

looks about right

thats too long for 75 min tho right?

When I'm 80 years old thinking about some of my favorite concert moments the opening notes of Hooker from Reno will be one of the first things I think about...

My guess is the same set as their reno show, but this last tour made pretty much anything possible.

Im much more excited for a '13 summer tour. Im also predicting the album is out december '12.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    My guess is the same set as their reno show, but this last tour made pretty much anything possible.

Im much more excited for a '13 summer tour. Im also predicting the album is out december '12.
    12/21 perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

No, I hear ya. If you didn't catch the spring tour I'd recommend it, but the fact that it's a festival makes me leery of, "Ticks and Leeches," "Pushit," "Parabloa," or even "Hooker" although I could seem them keeping that as the festival opener, appropriately so.

Hooker
    Jambi
    Stinkfist
    Sober?
    Schism
    Intenstion
    46&2
    Lateralus
    The Pot
    Aenima

looks about right
    I'd be surprised if Intension was played in a festival set.

Hooker
    Jambi
    Stinkfist
    Sober
    Schism
    Rosetta Stoned/The Patient
    46&2
    Lateralus
    The Pot
    Aenima

I wonder if they're going to break up the Jambi/Stinkfist/Schism/46&2 order or appearance next time they tour, they've been doing that for a while, not that I don't love each of those songs.

My ideal idea of a realistic set list for next tour would probably be something like this, but it might be too long

Eulogy
    new song
    Parabol/Parabola
    H.
    new song
    Sober
    Wings or Rosetta(probably not time though)
    Jambi
    Schism
    Aenema
    Lateralus
    Disposition

Sigh there's a lot of other songs I'd include but just not enough time, also they'd probably do at least 3 new songs. if only Maynard's voice could do 2-2.5 hours
    Last edited by nick5745; 06-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    I wonder if they're going to break up the Jambi/Stinkfist/Schism/46&2 order or appearance next time they tour, they've been doing that for a while, not that I don't love each of those songs.

My ideal idea of a realistic set list for next tour would probably be something like this, but it might be too long

Eulogy
    new song
    Parabol/Parabola
    H.
    new song
    Sober
    Wings or Rosetta(probably not time though)
    Jambi
    Schism
    Aenema
    Lateralus
    Disposition

Sigh there's a lot of other songs I'd include but just not enough time, also they'd probably do at least 3 new songs. if only Maynard's voice could do 2-2.5 hours
    Not to be a killjoy, but you won't get Wings for sure. That one will not be done again. It's also highly unlikely you'll not get Disposition, H. or Eulogy. Although after seeings Hooker and Ticks on this last tour, anything is possible (except for Wings). I could see Swamp Song reappearing. And I'm hopeful to see Right In Two as always.

One thing I am interested to see on this album is whether or not there is an opus like Wings 1&2 or D/R/T on it. They did not play Wings until a couple of months into the 10K Days tour. And then it was dropped permanently after the last couple of "official" 10K dates at the Pearl.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Not to mention closing out a Tool show with just Disposition seems really.................weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    Not to mention closing out a Tool show with just Disposition seems really.................weird.
    It'd definitely be different but I think it would be awesome, not sure though. It is one of my favorite songs, maybe it would be better if it went Lateralus -> Disposition -> Aenema
    Last edited by nick5745; 06-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Not to be a killjoy, but you won't get Wings for sure. That one will not be done again. It's also highly unlikely you'll not get Disposition, H. or Eulogy. Although after seeings Hooker and Ticks on this last tour, anything is possible (except for Wings). I could see Swamp Song reappearing. And I'm hopeful to see Right In Two as always.

One thing I am interested to see on this album is whether or not there is an opus like Wings 1&2 or D/R/T on it. They did not play Wings until a couple of months into the 10K Days tour. And then it was dropped permanently after the last couple of "official" 10K dates at the Pearl.
    I'd like to see at least one of those 3 songs, and definitely Parabol(a). The Grudge is one that I'd say has probably no chance of being played. I'm glad I got to see Wings at the Pearl in 07, they also played Swamp Song at that same show.

I'd like to see at least one of those 3 songs, and definitely Parabol(a). The Grudge is one that I'd say has probably no chance of being played. I'm glad I got to see Wings at the Pearl in 07, they also played Swamp Song at that same show.
    Don't rule out The Grudge just yet. Maynard decides the setlist and what he wants seems to depend on two things- content and demands on his vocal chords. I don't think the content of The Grudge is something he is putting out to pasture like Wings or Jimmy. As for the demands on his vocals, he is in good form lately and, if he can overcome the challenges of making HwaP and Ticks work live again, I don't see why he couldn't make same happen with The Grudge.
    Darkside| Spiritualized| Spiritualized| Pixies| Lord Huron| This Will Destroy You| Tool| Kraftwerk| The National| Neil Young| Coachella| Mogwai| Black Sabbath| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Failure/Puscifer/A Perfect Circle| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| NIN/Soundgarden| Fleetwood Mac

Don't rule out The Grudge just yet. Maynard decides the setlist and what he wants seems to depend on two things- content and demands on his vocal chords. I don't think the content of The Grudge is something he is putting out to pasture like Wings or Jimmy. As for the demands on his vocals, he is in good form lately and, if he can overcome the challenges of making HwaP and Ticks work live again, I don't see why he couldn't make same happen with The Grudge.
    Hmm I'd imagine that the Grudge is just as hard on his voice as Jimmy, or maybe its just that scream that makes me think that. The reason that they don't play Wings anymore is for emotional reasons right? I also know Parabola is hard on his voice and I'm guessing you've seen the video where his voice cracks and he throws the mic, but I really hope that is still a possibility

He's been substituting the parts that would normally strain his vocals and instead just singing through the megaphone thing. I think it fits with those songs but with The Grudge, not so much. I'm not saying it's totally inpossible, but maybe he just skips the scream or adds in something different in its place? Who knows....

Hmm I'd imagine that the Grudge is just as hard on his voice as Jimmy, or maybe its just that scream that makes me think that. The reason that they don't play Wings anymore is for emotional reasons right? I also know Parabola is hard on his voice and I'm guessing you've seen the video where his voice cracks and he throws the mic, but I really hope that is still a possibility
    Wings and Jimmy are personal songs about his mother and his relationship with her so he simply won't be doing them again. Neither are songs he is incapable of singing. He also has a personal issue with H. but know less about that one.

Parabola is hard on his vocals but he brought it out recently on the last tour. I missed that one which is too bad, but the trade off was Ticks. I'd rather have that one again personally.

I'd almost rather talk about what songs I hope they don't do. Schism is right at the top of that list. Hope they push it off a cliff. At the Vegas show earlier this year, Maynard messed up the lyrics on it and was at one point singing something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what I sing here because you guys will still eat it up". Besides just being tired of that song, I don't like the way its sole purpose (outside of the awesome double time part) is to fill up space as one recent Tool song at least the casual fans in the audience will know. Mothball that fuker already.
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 06-15-2012 at 07:51 PM.

He's been substituting the parts that would normally strain his vocals and instead just singing through the megaphone thing. I think it fits with those songs but with The Grudge, not so much. I'm not saying it's totally inpossible, but maybe he just skips the scream or adds in something different in its place? Who knows....
    I'd think that Parabola is overall as hard on his voice as The Grudge. The big difference is the huge scream at the end of The Grudge. Bring out the megaphone and problem solved! And, to be fair to the effects on his voice, they all sounded great live and in no way detracted from the performance.

I'd think that Parabola is overall as hard on his voice as The Grudge. The big difference is the huge scream at the end of The Grudge. Bring out the megaphone and problem solved! And, to be fair to the effects on his voice, they all sounded great live and in no way detracted from the performance.
    I 100% concur with everything said in the above post.

Wings and Jimmy are personal songs about his mother and his relationship with her so he simply won't be doing them again. Neither are songs he is incapable of singing. He also has a personal issue with H. but know less about that one.

Parabola is hard on his vocals but he brought it out recently on the last tour. I missed that one which is too bad, but the trade off was Ticks. I'd rather have that one again personally.

I'd almost rather talk about what songs I hope they don't do. Schism is right at the top of that list. Hope they push it off a cliff. At the Vegas show earlier this year, Maynard messed up the lyrics on it and was at one point singing something to the effect of "it doesn't matter what I sing here because you guys will still eat it up". Besides just being tired of that song, I don't like the way its sole purpose (outside of the awesome double time part) is to fill up space as one recent Tool song at least the casual fans in the audience will know. Mothball that fuker already.
    Yeah I remember reading about Wings and his mother, didn't know there was a similar issue with Jimmy that's interesting. Yeah I definitely wouldn't mind hearing something else instead of Schism, I like the way they do that song live though as you said with the double time but I think I'd rather see 46&2 (partly because of Danny's solo) if they're going to get rid of atleast one of those 4 they always do at beginning/midway of show.

Fuck The Grudge, give me the trilogy one more time before I die!!

Also, I'd love to see Schism go like everybody else, BUT I'd take it over Vicarious eight days a week. I like when the opening riff finally kicks in, but I haven't enjoyed that song as much as other Tool songs since the first time I heard it. Maynard's voice has always sounded different on it to me, and personally, it feels like a commercial driven single.

I think you mean The Pot

MayMay doesn't do the straining whisper bullshit on "The Pot" though.

He does do his radio friendly APC voice though

Fuck The Grudge, give me the trilogy one more time before I die!!

Also, I'd love to see Schism go like everybody else, BUT I'd take it over Vicarious eight days a week. I like when the opening riff finally kicks in, but I haven't enjoyed that song as much as other Tool songs since the first time I heard it. Maynard's voice has always sounded different on it to me, and personally, it feels like a commercial driven single.
    I highly doubt that the sound of Vicarious was in any way commercially driven. I personally love the song, as any other Tool song it is unique from the rest, unique from other band's songs, but still maintains the amazing Tool sound

MayMay doesn't do the straining whisper bullshit on "The Pot" though.
    I forget- are we ok to call him MayMay on these forums now?

If it counts for anything i vote no

I vote no also.

I used to feel the same way about Schism but it sounded sooo good in Reno that I'd be okay if it stuck around for a couple more tours. Personally, I would love to see Stinkfist get dropped. I'm not sure if you could classify it as a song "the casual fans in the audience will know" since it's 16 years old but, it's certainly one of the more popular songs. And I swear it's been played in EVERY FUCKING SHOW since they started playing it.

I used to like Vicarious but ever since Maynard stopped singing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies. Much better you than I." the song has really lost it's bite imo.

I would be okay with dropping:
    Stinkfist
    Schism
    Vicarious

But if I had to choose, I would keep Schism.

I used to like Vicarious but ever since Maynard stopped singing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies. Much better you than I." the song has really lost it's bite imo.
    I'm pretty sure he didn't sing that part in Reno, but did sing it afterwards when I saw them at the Nokia theater or US airways center if not both...I could be wrong but I'm sure I've heard him sing that part at least once. It's like when he wouldn't sing "Don't just call me pacifist.." part of Aenema in 06 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mPyWFunf3g) but then started to sing it again after that.

I don't know why he would choose not to sing those parts at times though, and it definitely does retract from the songs
    Last edited by nick5745; 06-17-2012 at 04:24 PM.

NoNo
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.