Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tool recording this summer...

Default Re: Tool recording this summer...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Did you go? And what makes you think it's Maynard's cash grab more than the other members?

Edit: Granted, any one-off festival gig could be considered a cash grab.
    No need to go to this one. You're right that it's a cash grab for all but I've just gotten used to blaming Maynard for all my Tool gripes. Plus, the rest of the band is always willing to play older, more obscure stuff that would have made this one off special. Maynard is the one that has given up on singing all those songs. So it does kinda feel like his fault right? The last tour did teach me one major thing. It's not that Maynard doesn't specifically want to sing the old stuff, it's that he can't anymore. The reason he chose to bring back Hooker and Ticks was two fold, one, he could use his voice box and two, as a response to all the bitching about not playing the old stuff. The lyrics to those two sum it up perfectly.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2)

Quote Originally Posted by crombrenner View Post
    Man this show was a cash grab. Maynard will do anything for the all mighty dollar.
    Really? hahaha...who are you comparing him to? Because I'm pretty sure that if you compare him to 95% of other successful people in the music industry you couldn't be more wrong

I still don't know how much I buy into all of that. Isn't it a little too convenient that the songs he can pull off just so happen to be all of their hits?

Wouldn't Parabola be considered one of the more difficult songs to pull off vocally? Wouldn't they have busted out Triad by now if Maynard has such a hard time singing night in and night out. If it's really about him being unable or lazy, you'd think that'd be his first suggestion.

Eulogy, H, Jimmy, The Grudge and D/R/T are really the only songs that haven't been played within the last couple tours. Jimmy is supposedly too personal, D/R/T is nearly a half hour total, and The Grudge does have that wicked scream, which I could see him using the talk box for in the future. And to be fair, just two short tours ago, Third Eye, Hooker, Pushit, Parabola and Ticks were all in the previously mentioned group of unplayed songs.

I also think Justin is just as big of a reason for them rarely going back beyond Aenima as Maynard is.
    Last edited by Mr. Dylanja; 06-23-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    Really? hahaha...who are you comparing him to? Because I'm pretty sure that if you compare him to 95% of other successful people in the music industry you couldn't be more wrong
    Well, I guess I'm comparing him to 1998 and earlier Maynard. He just doesn't seem to care about Tool anymore. I think he's much more passionate about Puscifer and Caduceus. When he needs a couple more mil he calls up the boys and does a tour. That's about it.
    COACHELLA- 99, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (wk 1 & 2), 13 (wk 1 &2)

I still don't know how much I buy into all of that. Isn't it a little too convenient that the songs he can pull off just so happen to be all of their hits?

Wouldn't Parabola be considered one of the more difficult songs to pull off vocally? Wouldn't they have busted out Triad by now if Maynard has such a hard time singing night in and night out. If it's really about him being unable or lazy, you'd think that'd be his first suggestion.

Eulogy, H, Jimmy, The Grudge and D/R/T are really the only songs that haven't been played within the last couple tours. Jimmy is supposedly too personal, D/R/T is nearly a half hour total, and The Grudge does have that wicked scream, which I could see him using the talk box for in the future. And to be fair, just two short tours ago, Third Eye, Hooker, Pushit, Parabola and Ticks were all on the in the previously mentioned group of unplayed songs.

I also think Justin is just as big of a reason for them rarely going back beyond Aenima as Maynard is.
    Yes Parabola is definitely hard for him to sing especially at that certain part.

Why Justin? He recorded that album with them

"Beyond."

"Beyond."
    Please elaborate

Eulogy, H, Jimmy, The Grudge and D/R/T are really the only songs that haven't been played within the last couple tours. Jimmy is supposedly too personal, D/R/T is nearly a half hour total, and The Grudge does have that wicked scream, which I could see him using the talk box for in the future. And to be fair, just two short tours ago, Third Eye, Hooker, Pushit, Parabola and Ticks were all in the previously mentioned group of unplayed songs.

I'd love to hear D/R/T again.

The reason that I said what I did about his willingness to play the other stuff is because Danny has said that to me specifically. I've met him on several occasions at the Baked Potato After Volto gigs and he's quite candid about the fact that Maynard has no interest in learning the old stuff again. I definitely give them props for playing 3rd eye, right in two, hooker, pushit, and ticks in the past two tours. Sadly though, when I break out the old bootlegs and compare them to the recent tours Maynard just can't nail it like he used too.

There are songs that "aren't hits"?

Well, I guess I'm comparing him to 1998 and earlier Maynard. He just doesn't seem to care about Tool anymore. I think he's much more passionate about Puscifer and Caduceus.
    So you think it's justified to compare someone to who they were 14 years ago and complain that they've changed? Or that their interests have changed?

When he needs a couple more mil he calls up the boys and does a tour. That's about it.
    So?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheres the beef? View Post
    So you think it's justified to compare someone to who they were 14 years ago and complain that they've changed? Or that their interests have changed?

So?
    It just makes me sad, that's all. I know I can't expect him to be the Maynard of old. I just miss it.

People age...its like me being mad at Kobe Bryant for not having the stamina on the basketball court he had a decade ago. Maynard still sounds great to me considering his age and I'd still rate him higher than most singers' ability to sing live

Jerk-offs, the lot of you.

My buddy was fanatic about the tool show, hes been texting me about how great the visuals were. Was he on drugs or was it different than the winter tour?
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I missed day 1 at Rivers Edge fest. I got carried away at my buddy's wedding and ended up going to the reception instead of driving there like I had planned.

I did see Puscifer the next day. It was ok, I was a little bored with it. I think I would give them another chance at an indoor venue.

Quote Originally Posted by nick5745 View Post
    Please elaborate
    Undertow? Opiate? The material with Paul? Paul also did co-write several songs off Aenima for what it's worth.

I don't really think that's an issue though. They still did tons of older material in the Aenima days when Justin joined.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

I apologize if this has been posted somewhere but i didn't see it:

http://www.columbusalive.com/content...--sort-of.html

This is the part that stood out to me, only because at this year's Coachella At the Drive-In claimed they were the first band to ever play Coachella:

“The very first band ever to perform at Coachella was, in the morning on the main stage, was A Perfect Circle. And then I played with Rage Against the Machine at night and then the next night, Tool closed the show.”
    Also I agree that Phil Hendrie is the man.

Ozzfest is is back?
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

In Japan.... Tool before Black Sabbath sounds like one hell of a night to me.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Hahaha, Slipknot are bigger than Tool. Metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

In terms of what the kids recognize most these days, yeah.

In terms of everything. They probably sell more albums and downloads, they probably sell more tickets to their shows, they are a physically larger group.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I bet if NIN played Ozfest they would headline d$

Trentemoller @ Mezzanine 04/06/14
    The Knife @ The Fox 04/15/14
    Factory Floor @ The Independent 04/16/14
    The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's 04/17/14
    Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    In terms of everything. They probably sell more albums and downloads, they probably sell more tickets to their shows, they are a physically larger group.
    Thats like saying blink182 is bigger than radiohead.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The fact that Stonesour is among those 6 acts is the most disturbing thing about that poster for me.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Thats like saying blink182 is bigger than radiohead.
    That's probably true d00d

Special 21st anniversary edition of Opiate is onsale right now:
    http://shop.toolarmy.com/mobile/default.aspx#C119
    The Eels - 5.14.14 @ The Crescent Ballroom

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucketofpower View Post
    Special 21st anniversary edition of Opiate is onsale right now:
    http://shop.toolarmy.com/mobile/default.aspx#C119
    they must be high as fuck....
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

$150...seriously? as much as i'd like this i'm gonna pass.
    April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.