Thread: Cell Charge

Default Cell Charge

Second timer here, but first time camper. So I thought I'd ask what the best way to charge my phone for the weekend would be. I have one of those little USB adapters that hook in to the cigarette lighter, but with three people and one car I don't want to drain the battery. Or is that even possible? What would some veterans recommend?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Cell Charge

This is pretty cool, and cheap, and you will get premium quality sun power at Coachella

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tra...c/?cpg=froogle

Extra battery. There are also quite a few charging stations.

Last year, there was a tent with lots of power sockets somewhere between gobi-mojave-sahara.
    Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Turn off your phones at night and when you and your group are all together (or if you don't think you'll be needing it for an hour or more) to conserve the battery. Get a battery pack or a solar charger to charge while you're at camp and use your car battery only to charge the battery pack. If worse comes to worst, use your car to charge them but start your car occasionally (as long as your exhaust isn't into someone's tent or sitting area).
    last.fm | facebook | twitter | tumblr
    2006 • 2007 • 2008 • 2009 • 2010 • 2011
    • 2012 • 2013 • 2014
    8/5 Arcade Fire (Sleep Train Amphitheater) • 10/3-5 Austin City Limits •

Last year was my first camping. We didn't use the car for any AC, tunes, etc. so it was zero problem charging phones with car charger adapters. It also charges phones without having to start anything up. Guess you just have to be sure you have a decent car battery. For some reason going and waiting by one of those charging stations sounds super boring to me when I can be having fun at the campsite or roaming around?

Also the charging tents, while convenient, take a really long time due to everyone charging. Most are comfortable with leaving their phones there but some aren't, and if you're not, then you'll have to sit there a good 2-3 hours to get a decent charge on it. I got lucky last year and sat in the arcade for a little bit with my charger before getting kicked out.

Clearance rack at K-Mart. 8 bucks. Bam.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-PPS3U...2095784&sr=8-1

i don't know just how powerful these are but it'll definitely have you set for the weekend on your own phone.
    #coachellaweekend1
    #takeitsleazy

turn off wifi and satellite tracker when not needed to extend battery life too. helps my pos droidx.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Make sure to disable alerts if you play any games like Word with Friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Watch the bands and stop playing with your phone. It'll last all weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

just put the damn thing on airplane mode until you need it....it's not like you need every f'n tweet and text that's going on.

you should be able to go all weekend if you leave it on airplane mode then turn off airplane mode for calls and texts...unless you're one of those facebook retards who needs the world to know you are taking a shit, going to a concert, eating lunch and butt fucking your buddy with aidz.
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

I have the mophie and it works great. Admittedly, it's more for heavy use during the day. It might not last three days.

Tom wins.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    just put the damn thing on airplane mode until you need it....it's not like you need every f'n tweet and text that's going on.

you should be able to go all weekend if you leave it on airplane mode then turn off airplane mode for calls and texts...unless you're one of those facebook retards who needs the world to know you are taking a shit, going to a concert, eating lunch and butt fucking your buddy with aidz.
    Why even bring a phone if you're just going to basically disable it all weekend so no one can get ahold of you?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is where I'll be charging my phone, sleeping comfortably, and getting a good breakfast everyday while I recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    This is where I'll be charging my phone, sleeping comfortably, and getting a good breakfast everyday while I recharge.
    Eh, I'd easily rather stay in the campground. This will be my 6th Coachella and I've stayed in super nice houses, hotels, and last year camped for the first time. Hands down camping was the best time I've had. You are already at possibly the best musical festival in the world surrounded by fun like minded people, why leave?

I loved being able to chill out, cook up some tasty food, listen to music and have some drinks before and after the actual festival everyday. The campground is a ridiculously good time with the afterpartying at your own camp, the roller rink, or anywhere else you can make new friends. I also got sick of having to travel to and from accommodations everyday, it can be a complete pain in the ass. I can see it both ways but sorry, I'll leave the rest of the year to stay at a hotel and relax.
    Last edited by DirtyPistol; 03-20-2012 at 04:21 PM.

I'm going to melt the campgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyPistol View Post
    Eh, I'd easily rather stay in the campground. This will be my 6th Coachella and I've stayed in super nice houses, hotels, and last year camped for the first time. Hands down camping was the best time I've had. You are already at possibly the best musical festival in the world surrounded by fun like minded people, why leave?

I loved being able to chill out, cook up some tasty food, listen to music and have some drinks before and after the actual festival everyday. The campground is a ridiculously good time with the afterpartying at your own camp, the roller rink, or anywhere else you can make new friends. I also got sick of having to travel to and from accommodations everyday, it can be a complete pain in the ass. I can see it both ways but sorry, I'll leave the rest of the year to stay at a hotel and relax.
    I would prefer to camp as well, but I have the girlfriend and her friend with me this year. We'll be spending most of our time before and after the festival at the campgrounds, since I have about 20 friends that are camping. But we'll be taking a taxi back to our hotel every night around 3 a.m. and getting a great nights sleep, and the next day I'll be listening to my friends talk about how hung over and tired they are.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Watch the bands and stop playing with your phone. It'll last all weekend.
    agreed, cell phones barely work at coachella anyways, i find it hillarious hearing people yell "Were in the sahara!!!!! in the middle !!!!! the middle!!!!"

just wear a cheap digital watch for set times and if you want to meet up be diligent, other that that leave your phone at the campsite off unless you need it
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

My friend actually witnessed a guy stealing a phone from the charging station last year, so I wouldn't recommend leaving your phone unattended, especially if it's a smart phone.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 (1&2), 13 (2), 14 (2)
    Lolla 03, 06, 07, 08
    Outside Lands 08, 10, 11, 12
    Nerd Project: www.coacheller.com

So I hear there are inputs in the free shower areas (from another thread), truth?

Quote Originally Posted by nessahhh View Post
    So I hear there are inputs in the free shower areas (from another thread), truth?
    There was by my showers last year but if you try to charge your phone there security will chase you away even if the showers are closed.

Cool Re: Cell Charge

1. Buy 3 extra cell phone batteries--one for each day--from eBay or Amazon. Usually very cheap, and if you have an iPhone just purchase a third party rechargeable battery pack that attaches to the bottom.

2. When you're sleeping, shut it down completely. The sun and camp noise will be your alarm clock.

3. Bring your cell into the venue, plus an extra battery to throw in if you need to. Calling friends and taking photos/vids might deplete your cell when you want to use it most later in the night.

4. All other times close out the background apps, turn down the brightness and switch on Airplane Mode.

I did this and never had to worry about re-charge stations. If you're camping with a group, the portable battery (mentioned above) is the way to go. Usually under $70 and it'll come out of the box 80% charged. Make sure you plug it in for a few hrs at home b4 coming to Coachella and you should be set to charge phones for several people the entire weekend.

They typically include two outlets in the back of the unit, and some even have air compressors for flat tires and cables to jump start your car post-coachella (saw a lot of people in need of this)

I got this thing and it worked great. It charged my girlfriends and my phone up a few times before having to be recharged with an inverted connected to the cigarette lighter. http://www.amazon.com/Incredicharge-...4769821&sr=8-2

Cellphones shmelphones
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012: II, 2013: I, 2014: I