Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Detroit Bar dead? (OC Music Scene discussion)

Default Is Detroit Bar dead? (OC Music Scene discussion)

I heard Edward Sharpe was playing in Orange County tonight so I instinctively thought Detroit Bar, then Observatory. I checked Detroit Bar anyway - yeah, no. In fact the entire month of March looked like shit. Edward Sharpe IS playing the Observatory, along with Peter Murphy tomorrow night, etc...

I think it's no coincidence that when one of the main guys at Detroit Bar leaves to revitalize the Galaxy (and turn it into the Observatory), a lot of acts that would have played Detroit are now playing the Observatory. Peter Murphy, for example, played Detroit not too long ago. I had some friends that went to see Surfer Blood at Detroit like over a year ago...wonder if they'll end up at the Observatory next time? Even some local bands I know that played Detroit are playing shows and doing residencies at the Constellation Room inside the Observatory. Keep in mind this venue formerly known as the Galaxy was pretty much absolute shit before this guy took over.

Are Detroit Bar's days over? Something to ponder.

Default Re: Is Detroit Bar dead? (OC Music Scene discussion)

Detroit Bar went in another direction. They are booking DJ's, and shit like that now.

Electro land now

Detroit Bar fell to its own greed.... That place was made famous by its local talent and when they turned their backs on them and started shooting for larger name acts it showed in more ways than one. I used to throw shows there at least once a week, either for friends, the Growlers, Japanese Motors, the Living Suns (Dahga Bloom), My Pet Saddle, or for my freelance co. Flower St Listing. Not only did we bring in a shit ton of regulars but we promoted for Detroit and everything else that comes along w/ it all in the name of supporting the indie movement that was going on at the time..... But it wasnt enough and they got too big for their britches. It was cool having random big name acts now and then, Ghostland, Pharcyde, etc.... but it became their main focus. Now they have new people running the show and yes its turned into more of an electronic scene, yet still showcasing whats left of the OC indie scene from time to time. I went a little while back for the Juan Maclean, and ill continue to go here and there, but things have deff changed.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I heard Edward Sharpe was playing in Orange County tonight so I instinctively thought Detroit Bar, then Observatory. I checked Detroit Bar anyway - yeah, no. In fact the entire month of March looked like shit. Edward Sharpe IS playing the Observatory, along with Peter Murphy tomorrow night, etc...

I think it's no coincidence that when one of the main guys at Detroit Bar leaves to revitalize the Galaxy (and turn it into the Observatory), a lot of acts that would have played Detroit are now playing the Observatory. Peter Murphy, for example, played Detroit not too long ago. I had some friends that went to see Surfer Blood at Detroit like over a year ago...wonder if they'll end up at the Observatory next time? Even some local bands I know that played Detroit are playing shows and doing residencies at the Constellation Room inside the Observatory. Keep in mind this venue formerly known as the Galaxy was pretty much absolute shit before this guy took over.

Are Detroit Bar's days over? Something to ponder.
    surfer blood did play the Observatory, well constellation room, last month

I saw Yo La Tengo there about a year ago. It was an awesome show, only I have ever seen there.

Will not miss Detroit Bar. That place was so far from the freeway. Was a DUI waiting to happen for me and the friends that didn't manage to get one. Plus the greeezy mexican food place near by was shit-tastic.
    05-12.2

Quote Originally Posted by ADrunkPoet View Post
    Will not miss Detroit Bar. That place was so far from the freeway. Was a DUI waiting to happen for me and the friends that didn't manage to get one. Plus the greeezy mexican food place near by was shit-tastic.
    be more responsible? drink 2 less drinks? possibly save a life(s)? problem solved?

Quote Originally Posted by choice cat View Post
    be more responsible? drink 2 less drinks? possibly save a life(s)? problem solved?
    Move out of Orange County and near areas that have respectable night life spots that don't require driving? Better solution.
    05-12.2

only went to Detroit Bar once (recently for Class Actress/Superhumanoids). It's a good spot, but no room for bigger acts. The Observatory/Constellation room seems to make more sense in that the booker can get bigger names and support smaller bands at the same time. I doubt i'll ever go there since it's so far from me but it's encouraging to see the OC evolving beyond just HOB Anaheim plus a few small rooms (Chain, Detroit Bar).

If Detroit Bar is going electronic/Dj route, seems they'll have a lot of competition from the Yost. i'm hoping to check that venue out soon as that's much closer to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

A friend throws an electro party there every month or so...but the last time I was at Detroit Bar, I saw some kid getting a light show all E'd out sitting on the floor. This is a fucking bar. Jeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    only went to Detroit Bar once (recently for Class Actress/Superhumanoids). It's a good spot, but no room for bigger acts. The Observatory/Constellation room seems to make more sense in that the booker can get bigger names and support smaller bands at the same time. I doubt i'll ever go there since it's so far from me but it's encouraging to see the OC evolving beyond just HOB Anaheim plus a few small rooms (Chain, Detroit Bar).

If Detroit Bar is going electronic/Dj route, seems they'll have a lot of competition from the Yost. i'm hoping to check that venue out soon as that's much closer to me.
    the observatory is like 15 minutes from the yost via surface streets, dude. not sure why 15 minutes more would keep you from heading there if there was someone you wanted to see.

Lurker

haha, totally.

The music their isn't the greatest, but it's still a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    the observatory is like 15 minutes from the yost via surface streets, dude. not sure why 15 minutes more would keep you from heading there if there was someone you wanted to see.
    oh, i guess i never mapped it out. I've never been to the Yost, and for some reason i keep thinking it's superclose to the Grove, which is right down the 57 from me. I have driven to the Observatory before and maybe it was because i'd never been there before, but it felt like it took forever to get there.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by choice cat View Post
    You're so obviously in fucking high school,
    we can discuss this subject again when yr not an underage twat.

Detroit Bar - been twice, but not recently
    Observatory - Almost a dozen times. Wear shorts. My go-to.
    Yost - not bad, went for the first time last month.
    Chain - Not since I was 18. Ha.
    House of Blues - too pricey. Special occasions only

Is there anywhere else????

I remember having way too much fun a few years back at the Black Moth Super Rainbow/SchoolVIIBells show. I saw a few other shows that were conveniently close since i used to live in Tustin. Haven't heard anything worth while since the Observatory started blowing up. If i ever get back down there I might check it out and have a drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Detroit Bar is owned by the same guy/people who owns the Observatory. They can make more money sell boozes to higher capacity and charging parking to people who arrive later than doors opening.As well keep in a competition with the Glass House as an alternate venue for artist to play in that general area outside of Los Angeles by offering (what I was told) 100% of ticket sales.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hangthedj112 View Post
    You're so obviously in fucking high school,
    we can discuss this subject again when yr not an underage twat.
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

I still haven't made it down to a show at the Observatory. I have heard great things about it, but to attend a show means to drive to orange county...
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

Its whatever expect when a stop at the Bruery is package in with show at the Observatory.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

well now that you've pointed that out...

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    charging parking to people who arrive later than doors opening
    HATE HATE HATE THIS. I usually park at Del Taco! :3

I miss Del Taco. Closest one is in Ventura

I fucking hate Detroit Bar. The few shows I have seen I thought the sound was awful. I hate how they broadcast on the screens in black and white, terrible lay out for the stage/show room. Also I'm assuming it's still a mass hipster hangout. I admit I haven't been in probably 2 years so if they have made updates then I'll check it out again.

I have never been to The Observatory but have seen plenty of shows in the Constellation room at The Observatory. Ironically every show I've wanted to see has been in The Constellation room. It's a much superior place then Detroit Bar for local bands/Smaller bigger acts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    I miss Del Taco. Closest one is in Ventura
    Oh crap, and I thought driving 15 miles for In N Out while in college was bad :/

Are you in bumfucknowhere?

Does anyone remember the Alley in fullerton that place could be a party sometimes.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Oh crap, and I thought driving 15 miles for In N Out while in college was bad :/

Are you in bumfucknowhere?
    no im in santa barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanp View Post
    Does anyone remember the Alley in fullerton that place could be a party sometimes.
    Isn't that the Back Alley now? My friend saw Strung Out there back when it was the Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Isn't that the Back Alley now? My friend saw Strung Out there back when it was the Alley.
    Do they still have rock shows? i know it was closed for a long time but they might have reopened it. I remember seeing all sorts of bands go through there that actually became something kinda.
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls