Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking on Avenue 50..

Default Walking on Avenue 50..

So according to the Map, avenue 50 will be blocked off, problem is that the house I am renting is on Avenue, right by the polo fields (very close to the Outdoor Stage). If the map is correct, and I can not walk down 50th street or Monroe at all, I'll have to walk an extra 4 miles, as compared to less than a mile, because I have to go around a neighborhood. Who thought getting a place to Coachella, can be such a pain?

I attached an image, the big red dot is the house I am renting.

Last edited by instinct; 03-14-2012 at 06:29 PM.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

Default Re: Walking on Avenue 50..

you can go down 49 through vip parking to shuttles to tent camping. it is not 4 miles. all entrances are kind of far walking from your house regardless of the "no walking" on 50 rule.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

I have to take Jackson though right? Monroe will be blocked off as well. I'm literally on the corner of Monroe and 50 on the opposite side of that huge neighborhood.

According to Google Maps, that is about a 4.8 mile walk..

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Röyksopp, FC Kahuna, Télépopmusik, The Knife, RJD2, Futue Sound of London, The Avalanches, 808 State, Zero 7, Tycho, Mr. Scruff

if you are walking out of a housing development it may be a different story depending on where the exit is. is there one between 50th and 51st? if you are past where the cops/security are on monroe you may be able to walk over and enter through the handicapped lot. there is an entrance to the festival there.

Between 50 and 51st, it's mostly a golf course.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

well you see where that ada parking is, find a way to hop a wall or get out close to that.

Why would you need to go up Jackson? The GV map suggests that Monroe is closed to pedestrian traffic south of 49th (otherwise, how would you get to 49th, which the map clearly says you can do?)

If you're at 50thXMonroe, then whatever house you're at must front onto Pacino. Go Up Pacino. Turn left on Cochrane. Follow Cochrane around into Odium. Turn left on Eisenhower, then left on Country Club, then left on Monroe down to 49th.

That comes to a little over two miles to get to the venue entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrael View Post
    Why would you need to go up Jackson? The GV map suggests that Monroe is closed to pedestrian traffic south of 49th (otherwise, how would you get to 49th, which the map clearly says you can do?)

If you're at 50thXMonroe, then whatever house you're at must front onto Pacino. Go Up Pacino. Turn left on Cochrane. Follow Cochrane around into Odium. Turn left on Eisenhower, then left on Country Club, then left on Monroe down to 49th.

That comes to a little over two miles to get to the venue entrance.
    I was under the impression that the housing track was a gated community.. I visited my friends there one time who stay with their cousins in Indio when they go to Coachella (they live on Pachino), and I think that you had to get passed a security gate to get into those houses.

Once again, The house i'm in is across the street from those tracks. On the other side of 50th.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Im staying in the same development w/ 6 friends... totally planned this so we could within walking distance, then the map is released and it's some kind of cray detour. Clearly, I'm a Coachella newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    I have to take Jackson though right? Monroe will be blocked off as well. I'm literally on the corner of Monroe and 50 on the opposite side of that huge neighborhood.

According to Google Maps, that is about a 4.8 mile walk..
    going by the first photo you posted. your house is near monroe and 50, there are paths to get to an entrance shown on that same photo. not sure why you prefer to take some long walk all over the place for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    going by the first photo you posted. your house is near monroe and 50, there are paths to get to an entrance shown on that same photo. not sure why you prefer to take some long walk all over the place for no reason.
    Yes, I see the photo, but it shows that you aren't allowed to walk on Monroe.. It says no Pedestrian Access on Monroe. So, That's why my route all the down to Jackson.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

coachellamap.jpg

Here is the answer psychic friend gave you in his first reply.
    I believe "No Pedestrian Access on Monroe" doesn't mean you cannot walk on Monroe street.
    I think that means you can't get into the venue directly from Monroe street?

Quote Originally Posted by omerta View Post
    coachellamap.jpg

Here is the answer psychic friend gave you in his first reply.
    I believe "No Pedestrian Access on Monroe" doesn't mean you cannot walk on Monroe street.
    I think that means you can't get into the venue directly from Monroe street?

You are probably right, I don't know why that street would be blocked off from not being able to walk on it. It's just got that little walking guy X'd out on the map.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

they are not going to allow people just walking up and down monroe. if your house is ON monroe, they are not going to prevent you from leaving your house. just walk over to 49 and go down. you people way over think things for no reason.

they are not going to allow people just walking up and down monroe. if your house is ON monroe, they are not going to prevent you from leaving your house. just walk over to 49 and go down. you people way over think things for no reason.
    House is on 50th.. but like 150 feet from Monroe.. I just hope they don't give us crap for trying to use it.

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Music festivals wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't over-complicate everything and stress the fuck out before we get there
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Music festivals wouldn't be as much fun if we didn't over-complicate everything and stress the fuck out before we get there
    EXACTLY!

lol....... you know this is a gated community right? your house is not on Monroe, it's on Pacino Dr. In any case, unless you're jumping the wall, you have to walk to one of the 2 entrances to Indian Palms, either on Avenue 50, or at Monroe and Country club Dr.

*laugh*

the internet is all about overcomplicating things.

as a practical matter, though, the way I imagine this being enforced is that there are roadblocks at 49th and 52d that nobody is allowed past on foot.

someone coming from a house on 50thXMonroe is already going to be past those roadblocks and would be able to walk freely to either.

there *might* be trouble leaving, as those same roadblocks would still be there, but that's when you talk to the guard and say "look, my house is RIGHT there ..." and the guard waves you through.

You're going to have to exit through country club drive. The entire community is now walled in, and the exit to 50th is locked shut for Coachella weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by n3glect View Post
    You're going to have to exit through country club drive. The entire community is now walled in, and the exit to 50th is locked shut for Coachella weekend.
    Yep. The only way to get in that neighborhood on foot is to go out the gated main entrance. Everything else is blocked off to protect the neighbs. (We stay in the same complex; see my poorly labeled map).

Attached Images Attached Images
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Or you can watch reruns of the big bang theory all weekend. Your choice.
    the lurker shows his member to the kids at the old school.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Yep. The only way to get in that neighborhood on foot is to go out the gated main entrance. Everything else is blocked off to protect the neighbs. (We stay in the same complex; see my poorly labeled map).

Actually my house was on the other side of Avenue 50.. There are only a few houses there...

Anyways.. It seriously was a GIGANTIC pain in the ass to walk there and I ended up driving the next two days..

OUTKAST 2014
    it's finally happening

So PF was wrong or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.

Lurker

I stayed in this neighborhood as well. My group just drove our car up to the main entrance then walked back down to 49th. There is a big guest parking lot right next to the gated entrance. It cut off the walk up to country club drive. Hope this helps someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kpony View Post
    I stayed in this neighborhood as well. My group just drove our car up to the main entrance then walked back down to 49th. There is a big guest parking lot right next to the gated entrance. It cut off the walk up to country club drive. Hope this helps someone.
    They let you park there? In 2010 they towed people even if they were renting there.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn163 View Post
    They let you park there? In 2010 they towed people even if they were renting there.
    Lots of people parked there. I wasn't the only one. We didn't park there overnight though. Coming back in at 1am and the lot still had quite a few cars left. I assume all were renting there.

If you are worried I would ask a security guard at the gate. They've been nice to us.

you can bike/walk north up Monroe to 49th no problem.

The much dumber thing is no longer allowing bike access at 51st and Monroe for us Indian Palms people. What used to take 20 min door to door on a bike, now takes 1 hour (that's including the two checkpoints you must go through to get in).

After nearly being killed biking last year because of poor signage and lighting outside the exit I gave up on biking to/from Indian Palms. this year, I used the shuttles and although it is a slow process compared to biking, I have to say I am sold. But the bottom line is that it would be so easy to make this a bicycle accessible festival but neither GV or Indio care. 1 hour ride from Indian Palms? That's ridiculous.
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

walk from IPCC was much shorter this year vs last year...we just jumped over the wall near odlum and walked down 49th which is right there...35 min walk home every night not bad at all!
    Quote Originally Posted by mncarpooler View Post
    Anything that's not Sahara tent trash is going to have a small crowd it seems like. I wandered over near the Sahara once all weekend and it was a clusterfuck of the douchiest looking people you could ever imagine.