Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Weather Watch

Default Re: 2012 Weather Watch

do you guys not realize how little 1/10th of an inch is? all that pancho is going to do is turn you into a giant kite when a 50 mph gust blows through.

Anyone down there care to give us an update for the 30% chance of rain? or wind conditions?
    The Replacements --> The Knife --> Outkast

.. A SECOND COLDER AND MORE POWERFUL STORM WILL IMPACT THE AREA FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. THIS STORM WILL BRING STRONG WINDS... RAIN... AND LATE SEASON SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 5000 FEET.

LIGHT PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN THURSDAY NIGHT AS THE STORM MOVES IN FROM THE NORTHWEST. THE PRECIPITATION WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY FRIDAY AS THE CORE OF THE STORM MOVES ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. SCATTERED SHOWERS BEHIND THE STORM WILL CONTINUE FRIDAY NIGHT BEFORE ENDING SATURDAY.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS WILL RANGE FROM ONE-HALF TO ONE INCH IN THE COASTAL AND VALLEY AREAS. 1 TO 2 INCHES IS FORECAST FOR THE COASTAL MOUNTAINS SLOPES WITH UP TO 3 INCHES IN SOME AREAS. SNOW IN THE MOUNTAINS ABOVE 6000 FEET COULD TOTAL 4 TO 8 INCHES WITH UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW ABOVE 8000 FEET IN THE SAN BERNARDINO MOUNTAINS. RAIN TOTALS IN THE DESERTS WILL RANGE FROM A TENTH TO A QUARTER INCH.

THIS STORM WILL ALSO BRING VERY STRONG WINDS TO THE AREA. THE STRONGEST WINDS WILL BE IN THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERTS FRIDAY AND SATURDAY. A PERIOD OF STRONG... POTENTIALLY DAMAGING WINDS FROM 25 TO 35 MPH WITH GUSTS OVER 50 MPH ARE POSSIBLE IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY AND THE BORREGO DESERT

"April is not usually a very stormy month for California, especially in the south. April is usually the transitioning time between the winter storms and the warmer, more tranquil weather of summer," Clark said.
    Clark is projecting up to several feet of snow to fall from both storms at the Sierra Nevada resorts and the high country, as well as a dual storm total of 1/2 to 1 inch of rain for the Los Angeles Basin.
    "As for the Coachella Festival, while there is the risk of a couple of gusty showers, it should not be another Woodstock," Clark added.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weathe...festival/63918
    06, 08-14

its like driving in most kinds of awful weather... just drive slower and more cautiously than normal! as long as you're not in an RV or big-rig, it shouldnt be a huge deal. you might feel it pushing your car around a bit though, which can be kind of disconcerting if you're not ready for it.

I'm here. Beautiful out but very windy.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

i got some similar high wind stakes at REI today... it was the one in santa monica and i got the last set, but its possible they still have them in SD somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    So BD, in your expert and rarely solicited opinion, rain is a pretty concrete possibility, but would cheap rain ponchos be a worthwhile investment? It's hard to get perspective when it has been more or less raining here since 1 am, and the prospect of wet weather has never been so plausible in my Coachella planning.
    im pretty sure rain ponchos are going to be super unnecessary. theyre predicting like 1/10th of an inch of rain. thats barely sprinkles. and its so dry out there that it will most likely evaporate immediately. people in so cal love to exaggerate about rain.

When the clouds clear, the mountains will look spectacular with the fresh snow.

For anyone that's never been in 30-50 mph winds, it sucks balls. Makes even standing up in one spot difficult, and walking against the wind makes you feel like you're walking up a 45 degree incline. It will also destroy you with wind burn (which is worse if accompanied by sun). Not to mention the havoc played with tents and anything not tied down (like band equipment).

I hope like hell it doesn't come to fruition, but this could be an unmitigated shitshow on Friday night.
    Last edited by mrhand; 04-11-2012 at 03:49 PM.

I am concerned about the wind. And not so much the wind but if something big blows over, then crowd panic. Everyone should have a plan just in case, at the very least, a meet up place outside the main festival grounds. Don't want to kill anyone's buzz just yet, but it can't hurt to think what to do if cell circuits go down or power goes out.

On Friday, Indio has 50% chance of rain. Palm Springs has 90% chance. We (PS) had 30% chance today, and it drizzled on/off all day.

So, poncho or not?

It rained for like 30 minutes today when I was having lunch in Palm Desert. This is my third Coachella and it was so weird to get off the plane and not feel any humidity or the intensity of the sun. Really looking forward to this weekend's weather.

just spray your clothes with scotchgard and call it a day
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Are you seriously worried about rain? if anything i'm welcoming it from the scorchfest it normally is. Seriously. It's just water falling from the sky people. Open your mouth and save $2. FREE WATER!

Lurker

everyone needs to just relax about the weather. coachella is awesome when its boiling hot and it will be awesome when its windy.

I hate the fucking wind. I come to Coachella to get a reprieve from Chicago.

But it's still gonna be an awesome weekend. How could it not be?
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

i dont care about wind, i can sleep in the car like i have said if its really crazy...i just don't want acts cancelled due to win, ill also be keeping my distance from the front of stages.

I'm not worried about the rain. I'm actually looking forward to it. I just have never had to think about it for Coachella. It rained all night and morning here. (I know I'm not in the desert.) The prospect of wandering the polo fields cold and wet is incomprehensible. I'd rather be over prepared than finding myself having to ride my bike back to the condo to change clothes. Especially Friday . . . there are too many great acts for me. Carrying a 2oz sheet of plastic for a few hours seems worth the trade off.

The weather for Weekend 2 is looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by blizzair View Post
    people in so cal love to exaggerate about everything.

fixed
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    So BD, in your expert and rarely solicited opinion, rain is a pretty concrete possibility, but would cheap rain ponchos be a worthwhile investment? It's hard to get perspective when it has been more or less raining here since 1 am, and the prospect of wet weather has never been so plausible in my Coachella planning.
    If you were made of cotton candy, I'd say yes, best to have a rain poncho, or even as Audra suggested, a large trash bag if you don't want to get wet. I'd poke little vents in it though because if the right gust of wind comes along, you could end up catching it and doing the Mary Poppins thing to the Sound of Music.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    On Friday, Indio has 50% chance of rain. Palm Springs has 90% chance. We (PS) had 30% chance today, and it drizzled on/off all day.
    And not a drop has fallen here in Indio since last night's rain...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Seeing that I'm still trying to get our shit together, I'm tossing in the box of large trash bags I got. If shit should get torrential, just ask and I'll have you covered, how's that?

Quote Originally Posted by iammrcandyman View Post
    The weather for Weekend 2 is looking good.
    im gonna rip up that grass extra hard, especially if it rains

Fun can be had in the rain.

"This is like The Shawshank Redemption, only with more tunneling through shit and no fucking redemption." - Malcolm Tucker

inadvertent wet tshirt contest