Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Weather Watch

Default Re: 2012 Weather Watch

^ if you mean the 74, is it possible it closes due to snow levels?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

wait do people normally not stake their tents and canopies down?

wtf is wrong with you. secure that shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
    I am driving up Thursday night as well, arriving around 10pm which sounds like a horrible time to arrive but it is what it is. I am coming up from San Diego, any driving tips for that kind of wind?
    Like I said, I may take the long way this year, I'm in SD as well. Normal route is 5 -> 15 -> 79 -> 371 -> 74 ->111 but:

that bullshit right there will be the issue. Normally it's kind of fun, you go up and down this twisty mountain road and then you come down the pass and it's like BLAM indio all laid out in front of you. But if there are really high winds that kind of scares me.

Alternate route is 15 -> 79 -> 10 which is a bit farther and slower and can get bad traffic-wise but has less chance of me tumbling off a fucking cliff
    06, 08-14

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    wait do people normally not stake their tents and canopies down?

wtf is wrong with you. secure that shit.
    We were in Mammoth once in the spring time. We staked that shit down, and when we got back to camp after a long and windy ride on our mountain bikes, our tent was 40ft up in a tree 200 yards from camp. A few of the stakes were still attached. We slept in the car that night.

The wind took our sleeping bags and pillows. The bitch never gave them back. Some lucky animals had some quality stuff for nesting that spring.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    The wind took our sleeping bags and pillows. The bitch never gave them back. Some lucky animals had some quality stuff for nesting that spring.
    LOL!!!!

we had a light sprinkle of rain...it's beautiful outside now...just dialed in nice.....light winds

but I'll bet $100 by 3 pm the wind is picking up to an uncomfortable rate...
    Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    she should get an abortion then go to chella
    Quote Originally Posted by Bougie24 View Post
    You people are disgusting for posting this shit on my thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Look up your moms skirt when she is dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    Like I said, I may take the long way this year, I'm in SD as well. Normal route is 5 -> 15 -> 79 -> 371 -> 74 ->111 but:

that bullshit right there will be the issue. Normally it's kind of fun, you go up and down this twisty mountain road and then you come down the pass and it's like BLAM indio all laid out in front of you. But if there are really high winds that kind of scares me.

Alternate route is 15 -> 79 -> 10 which is a bit farther and slower and can get bad traffic-wise but has less chance of me tumbling off a fucking cliff

Looks to be a 15 mile difference between the short and long way. I guess I would rather get there safe than have to deal with all those turns with some crazy ass wind. Is there much traffic on the 74?

Thanks to google maps street view I have been able to identify the exact spot where I'll miss a turn due to wind and darkness, hit the spot where there's no guardrail, catch this rock formation like a ramp at a motocross show, and plummet to my gruesome death:

Quote Originally Posted by saywhat View Post
    Looks to be a 15 mile difference between the short and long way. I guess I would rather get there safe than have to deal with all those turns with some crazy ass wind. Is there much traffic on the 74?
    The 74 is usually not bad, depending on how many people are trying to get to Coachella all at once. The alternate 79 -> 10 route, you can hit traffic on the 79 stretch of road (a lot of that is one or two lane and it's old people land out there) and the 10 junction can get backed up. I'm not sure about how the 10 is once you get farther east, I haven't done that route before but I expect it won't be TOO bad that far east.
    Last edited by Ravingmad; 04-11-2012 at 12:35 PM.
    06, 08-14

Quote Originally Posted by amps421 View Post
    sooo glad weekend 2 is gonna hot!
    haha you guys can bake in the sun while its overcast/ 80 weekend 1 hahahahahah
    2012w1
    2013w1

trakball

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    Week 1 (Windchella) I highly recommend piking up these as opposed to stakes that come with your tent. Walmart has em.
    Super good looking out, billtino! I went and bought some during my lunch break. They're discontinued, so I'm lucky I got 'em when I did! Thanks again man.

Quote Originally Posted by baily View Post
    LOL...yea....it said 15 mph last night at 10pm....

I was FUCKING HERE ....local paper had it reported at 30-50mph

you be the smart one and ignore the heads up....because what a fuck I'm being in telling you to bring.....ugghhh stakes for your tents.....

Wow I'm really out to get ya!.....look out.....I may be trying to pull one over on ya''.....I'm secretly in the stake market ...and we sell to home depot...I'm gonna be rich ...had this planned for weeks...

get fucking real
    Dude. Dude. Chill. You're twippin.
    I defer to your expertise. I trust you. I was just posting the most recent info I found.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

"expertise"

"baily"

Quote Originally Posted by trakball View Post
    Super good looking out, billtino! I went and bought some during my lunch break. They're discontinued, so I'm lucky I got 'em when I did! Thanks again man.
    Which Walmart did you go to in SD? I went last night and there weren't any like that at the one by my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

trakball

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
    Which Walmart did you go to in SD? I went last night and there weren't any like that at the one by my house.

The Poway one. The rest of them are sold out. You might want to give them a call and see if they still have them - I may have gotten the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravingmad View Post
    Thanks to google maps street view I have been able to identify the exact spot where I'll miss a turn due to wind and darkness, hit the spot where there's no guardrail, catch this rock formation like a ramp at a motocross show, and plummet to my gruesome death:

I couldn't stop laughing. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by trakball View Post
    The Poway one. The rest of them are sold out. You might want to give them a call and see if they still have them - I may have gotten the last one.
    Thanks man. I'll check it out. Maybe I'll run by REI and see what they have
    Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    Coachella will come out of the closet announcing it's gay. Most will applaud it while some will sell their passes.

The 60 can be treacherous too. A few years back a mother and her young son went off the side. She was killed instantly, and he managed to survive for days off snacks mom had packed for him. I think of her every time I drive that highway. Not to be a downer, but please drive carefully.

The 60 can be treacherous too. A few years back a mother and her young son went off the side. She was killed instantly, and he managed to survive for days off snacks mom had packed for him. I think of her every time I drive that highway. Not to be a downer, but please drive carefully.
    Ugh, that's horrible :\
    With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world.
    Coachella: 08, 09, 10, 11, 12w1, 12w2, 13w1, 14w2
    Lollapalooza: 08,10,11,12
    Burning Man: 08,10

Yes, back to happy thoughts. I'm going to buy a clear plastic rain poncho and wear nothing but day glo body paint underneath on Friday.

Was that due to wind?

Rainbows go great with rain, and with many other things. lol

Yo Bailey, you would be a pretty entertaining weatherman if you choose to go that route.

I'm nominating Bailey for 3 Drama Queen Awards this year...

There are 2 fronts back to back

It'll be the 30mph winds all weekend...Fuck! - night time is gonna be the right time for a bandana and goggles

last night there were gusts of 50mph

strange thing is during the day it'll be FANTASTIC weather...it's around 3pm where the wind will start - and it won't slow down. It's like a snowball going down a mountain.

drove out to the polo grounds - was windy at 7pm, by 9pm they stopped all practicing and shut it down (due to wind) and by 10pm it was tough to see 5 yards ahead of you.

I hope they pull the Black Keys up to 7pm, because at 11pm there won't be a set.
    #1 Costume Design. His elaborate display of bandana accented by goggles will make him a sure fire target for when fans he caused to panic realize it wasn't as bad and he was just being a sissy la-la. The only other accessory needed to perfect his look would be a foil wrapped coat hangar mounted to the goggles.

The National Weather Service has issued a high wind advisory for the desert, with windy conditions expected through Saturday.

The NWS says that winds gusting up to 50 miles per hour are expected mostly in the afternoon and evenings, beginning today.

This front also brings the chance of light rain to the desert, with up to a tenth of an inch predicted for the low deserts.

A second weather front, with stronger winds, should hit the desert late Thursday.

Drivers along Interstate 10 are advised to be aware of blowing sand, and areas of limited visibility during these wind gusts.

Meaning Thursday Night is gonna be BAD - REAL - BAD

Prob 40-60mph wind - have a fucking blast trying to put up your tent in that mess....ugh

Plan accordingly
    #2 Lead Drama Queen. While the wind in this series may be an inconvenience to many, this superstar has the ability to take 1/10th of an inch of rain and turn it into complete paranoid chaos in the reader's minds. The fact that the 1/10th of an inch keeps the dust and sand controlled means nothing when his performance leads you to believe you could possibly end up with Dorothy and Toto in Kansas by weekend's end.

they are DEAD ON! I live here and the wind last night was fucking out of control. You could have offered me $20 to stand outside for 3 min. and I'd said 'Fuck you!'

it's just getting started. As these storms get close the wind blows hard....as the storm hits it dies down and if we get rain it's normally gone...but in this case they are back to back...in my experience these are the fucking worst because what was 40 mph winds which are fucking out of control now will be 60 mph winds which are dangerous.

There won't be an ounce of wind during the day...it'll start at 2-3pm at light winds then pick up...by 5 pm it'll be getting rough...by 7:30 you'll be headed inside...by 9pm it'll be fucking bad....by 10 pm it's a fucking nightmare that you won't want to be in....and it gets worse till about 2 am...then tapers off.

It's interesting you mention the other fest where the stage fell down. Friday should be a tad lighter...but the prob is Thursday night.

If I was camping I'd get a hotel close by Indio tonight and be one of the first in lines Thurs to set up...have a great day and be ready.

Stop by Home Depot and get the large stakes in the outside garden area....they are metal about 6 inches long.....your tent will hold.
    #3 Biggest Idiot and Penniless Sportscaster of the Year. Anyone else would gladly stand and weather the conditions predicted for $20 for those 3 minutes of what this superstar is able to convince you is Hell on Earth, but not Baily. Nooooo, his performance will have you clamoring for concrete and blocks as you sip away on your cocktail and plan the design of your wind barrier and rain shield, all the while he's sitting wrapped in foil at home near the center of disaster.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Yes, back to happy thoughts. I'm going to buy a clear plastic rain poncho and wear nothing but day glo body paint underneath on Friday.
    Your hot enough that the poncho will create condensation and block my view...

So BD, in your expert and rarely solicited opinion, rain is a pretty concrete possibility, but would cheap rain ponchos be a worthwhile investment? It's hard to get perspective when it has been more or less raining here since 1 am, and the prospect of wet weather has never been so plausible in my Coachella planning.

My mother use to buy big black garbage bags and cut holes for arms and head... instant rain poncho. It actually works well in a pinch and is cheap. You might get laughed at though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

So BD, in your expert and rarely solicited opinion, rain is a pretty concrete possibility, but would cheap rain ponchos be a worthwhile investment? It's hard to get perspective when it has been more or less raining here since 1 am, and the prospect of wet weather has never been so plausible in my Coachella planning.
    No doubt some crafty fucker has bought a few hundred cheap plastic ponchos and will be selling them at $10 a pop inside/outside festival.

Rocks, heavy logs and cinder blocks could be hot items in the campgrounds....scalping cinder blocks threads here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    My mother use to buy big black garbage bags and cut holes for arms and head... instant rain poncho. It actually works well in a pinch and is cheap. You might get laughed at though.
    I have a memory of a guy selling them at Glastonbury for a pound ($1.50) each. He sold about a dozen in the 2 minutes I watched him.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    I have a memory of a guy selling them at Glastonbury for a pound ($1.50) each. He sold about a dozen in the 2 minutes I watched him.
    A couple of garbage bags are essential packing for Lolla and ACL in my opinion.

Ponchos are 88 cents at Wal-Mart! I think I've already said that twice in this thread. Look over by the camping gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    You better stop because he can shut down this message board with one call.