Thread: Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festival

Cool Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festival

Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festival

7:22 PM, Apr. 19, 2012

LOS ANGELES -- The producers of the Coachella Music Festival are expected to ask a federal judge tomorrow to put a stop to the sale of unauthorized T-shirts and hats at this weekend’s event in Indio.

According to papers for trademark infringement filed in Los Angeles federal court, “John Does” -- whose identities are unknown at this point -- are hawking counterfeit T-shirts, jerseys, caps and other merchandise bearing the trademarks of the Coachella festival and 2012 headliners Radiohead, the Black Keys, Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

The illicit sale of inferior merchandise is taking place in the area around the festival grounds at the Empire Polo Club and `is likely to injure the reputation of the festival and its artists,” according to the complaint.

The festival takes place over two weekends this year, with about 75,000 music fans expected for the second installment starting tomorrow.

Coachella attorneys are expected, tomorrow morning, to ask U.S. District Judge Audrey B. Collins to issue a preliminary injunction and seizure order on fake merchandise sellers in time for the opening notes of the festival.

If Collins agrees, the order would authorize “the state police, local police or local deputy sheriffs, off-duty officers of same, and any person acting under their supervision” to “seize and impound any and all infringing merchandise.”

Default Re: Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festiva

uh oh. erik watch out.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: Coachella producers file federal suit contending trademark infringment at festiva

Tee shirts, jello shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 619 View Post
    Tee shirts, jello shots!
    lol fuck that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Lmao. Wow

It's all about the money. Everyone stay home next year. Teach the greedy producers a lesson.

Fuck off m fam! Go sell some T Shirts and Jello shots
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    I jacked off 4 times today all before work! true story!
    Quote Originally Posted by greghead View Post
    Spicy pie or die, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew 619 View Post
    Tee shirts, jello shots!

How many campsites can this sketchball possibly saunter into while uttering the same phrase.....
    THIS IS SOME REAL SHIT.

Like the guy selling "official shirts" by the shuttles at the end of the night? I can't even figure out how he got in there. I recall joking that the Radiohead shirt would have looked more official if it were in Comic Sans font.

Beyond that, who buys stuff from these idiots?
    '11, '12.1 coldchella

The Jello shots were official...so I hear

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    lol fuck that guy.
    i lol'd pretty hard tho
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by threeve View Post
    Like the guy selling "official shirts" by the shuttles at the end of the night? I can't even figure out how he got in there. I recall joking that the Radiohead shirt would have looked more official if it were in Comic Sans font.

Beyond that, who buys stuff from these idiots?
    I walked by that guy all 3 nights. I never saw anyone buy a shirt. They looked like they would fall apart in the washing machine.

The bloody mary guy was a life saver after a night of drinking. He probably got busted too.

A friend in my group bartered a couple of our beers for an "illegal" Coachella t-shirt. True story.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

old school

Its possible to make "Coachella 2012" merch with images of the mountains and not run afoul of any copyright or licensing laws. Selling in the campground those shirt may also be legal, but they can kick you out.

GV were idiots to name the festival after a city from a business point of view, as they can never control the single word name.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post

The illicit sale of inferior merchandise is taking place in the area around the festival grounds at the Empire Polo Club and `is likely to injure the reputation of the festival and its artists,” according to the complaint.
    I might get flamed for this but this is such a silly fucking quote to me. Some shitty T-shirt that some dope made to make money is really harming you Coachella? Are record sales going to drop for poor ole Snoop whenever someone sees some shoddy shirt?
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

The younger people in our group probably bought at least 200 jello shots from this guy over the course of the weekend and our Aussie contingent bought so many last year that the guy knew them right away, called them the dirty dozen, even though there were only 11 of them so probably because he sold a dozen for a small discount or something. I bought one of his Tshirts and it is a great shirt, love the color, nice artwork and all the bands listed on the back. We also bought posters from him for friends so he did a brisk business at our camp. Nearly everyone in our camp bought Tshirts inside and I was the only one that bought the Tshirt from the Jello shot guy because I really liked the color and designs on it. If GV had it for sale inside the fest I would have bought one there but it came to me in the campground, simple, easy and I am a happy customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    The younger people in our group probably bought at least 200 jello shots from this guy over the course of the weekend and our Aussie contingent bought so many last year that the guy knew them right away, called them the dirty dozen, even though there were only 11 of them so probably because he sold a dozen for a small discount or something. I bought one of his Tshirts and it is a great shirt, love the color, nice artwork and all the bands listed on the back. We also bought posters from him for friends so he did a brisk business at our camp. Nearly everyone in our camp bought Tshirts inside and I was the only one that bought the Tshirt from the Jello shot guy because I really liked the color and designs on it. If GV had it for sale inside the fest I would have bought one there but it came to me in the campground, simple, easy and I am a happy customer.

The problem is you encourage this trade, so more people turn up selling crap. So whilst it seems harmless it actually makes things worse for the festival.

The shots thing is something the police/city will bring up in licensing. So GV end up having to increase security, police presence in the campgrounds and/or go to having over 21 to camp rules. So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    The problem is you encourage this trade, so more people turn up selling crap. So whilst it seems harmless it actually makes things worse for the festival.

The shots thing is something the police/city will bring up in licensing. So GV end up having to increase security, police presence in the campgrounds and/or go to having over 21 to camp rules. So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I am sure you are right. The jello shots guy was not checking ID, no regulations or standards of any kind in place and personally I would not have eaten one if you paid me. I am glad I got the Tshirt though, my favorite of the 3 I bought at the fest. I promise not to buy any more from him...unless they are so cool that I cannot resist!

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I buy the $5 shirts every chance I get. I'm not paying $20 for shirts to give to the family who didn't save up to go. I keep those 3 - 8 shirts every year for me.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

So what seems harmless at the time, is actually a problem for the festival.
    Just how big of a problem is this for ze festival?

Lol its fuckin jello shots WHO CARESZZ

Damn...I wish I saw the bootleg shirts...the shirts they were selling at the fest weren't even that great

I never see any shirts that jump out at me until after the festival and I see someone walking down the street with them

I'm sure the bootleg shirts looked better than the shitty merchandise this year.

I loved it when a tour shirt was worth the 30-40 bucks. The only thing I saw plausible was the Radiohead shirt that was orange with the KID A bear on it. That was $40 and fucking orange as a pumpkin with neon orange glow sticks.

$5 tshirt all day - who got one at Portishead @ The Shrine? Guy walked up the parking where everyone was in a jam and came up!