Thread: How to bring camping supplies when flying?

Default How to bring camping supplies when flying?

Hello,

We will be traveling from Rhode Island to San Diego and were wondering if there is a practical way to get our camping supplies (tent, canopy, sleeping bags, cooler, etc.) across the country. I image bring all that on the plane would be crazy in baggage fees.

We have already faced the fact that we may have to buy everything out west, but if there is another way, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!

Default Re: How to bring camping supplies when flying?

i can't think of any practical way to do it unless you know somebody that is driving out here this weekend and they don't mind hauling your stuff for you. you're eiter going to be paying baggage fees or shipping costs, either way it would be cheaper to buy stuff when you get out here.

A lot of that stuff will roll up nicely into a large duffel bag. I'd skip the cooler (you can buy a foam one) and pack as lightly as you can. What airline?
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Buy the stuff at Wal-Mart or Target when you land and give it to me when you leave, problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Shove it up your ass and hope tSA doesn't find it.

@gberg927 you could fedex your gear before you leave, to another fedex location in indio or coachella. I once did this, to miami. I didn't want to be carrying all my stuff with me, so I fedex it. sure enough was there when I got to miami. just saying... think outside the box

I would ditch the cooler and buy a cheap one in CA. The canopy is the toughest one - I use a lightweight Kelty Shadehouse but the traditional pop up canopies are nicer (but heavier and not cheap.) I can fit tent, airbed, Kelty canopy and a blanket in a large duffle and be under 50 lbs. We'll buy a cooler and couple of chairs at Walmart.

One of my group is flying Southwest (fare includes 2 checked bags) so I'm going to try to load him up.

The mule.

I put two air mattresses and two sleeping bags inside a cooler. Put a webbing type strap around it to keep it closed and allow TSA to open it if necessary. Tent goes by itself as a separate piece of luggage. We use a really large duffel bag and put clothes, towels etc for two people in that. You could send the canopy as a separate piece of luggage as well. Southwest Airlines two bags per person fly free. Providence to San Diego. Easy!!!

Thanks for the responses. I'm flying continental/united. I think its 25$ a bag to fly. I will have to look into FedEx'ing cross country. I can fit everything but the tent, canopy, cooler and chairs into my bag. I'll have to look into a cheap canopy while in CA.

Thanks again

You can order direct from walmart.com and have it shipped to a store for free on your route from the airport.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by gberg927 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'm flying continental/united. I think its 25$ a bag to fly. I will have to look into FedEx'ing cross country. I can fit everything but the tent, canopy, cooler and chairs into my bag. I'll have to look into a cheap canopy while in CA.

Thanks again
    Fedex is probably going to be more $$$ than paying the extra bag fee. The only reason to do that is to avoid having to schlep everything through the airport/security.
    -------------------------------
    Coachella
    2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012.1
    Lollapalooza
    1991, 1992, 2003

A Fedex ground shipment would cost me about $50 from MN to LAX. If we fly, it's 3 bags at $25 apiece...

Just purchase your stuff on friday at Walmart and just return it Monday morning and get your money back....

Just rent a Campervan, Brody. No need to haul a tent, sleeping bags, chairs, cooler, cooking equipment, etc.