Thread: SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Talking SO MANY QUESTIONS!

hi

it's my first time going to coachella and i'm coming from asia with 3 other friends.
    we're in our early 20s and early 30s. and have many experiences in other music/rock festivals.
    i'm going with 3other people from here and we have some questions.

1. what's the best way(cheapest) to get from LA to the festival site? (we don't have a car) and how much would it cost?

2. we're going to be camping. is it safe to leave all of our stuff in the tent? or should we get a locker?

3. i've noticed that there are threads(?) or groups of people that hang out and camp together. Since we're new to this thing, we'd like to join one. any suggestions?

4. is it better to take our own drinks or buy it at the festival? are drinks that expensive in there? (food also)

5. in the other festivals that we've been to, it wasnt weird to walk around and join other campers to talk and drink. is that normal here too?

i know it's a lot of questions but it'd be great if someone could answer them
    and let us know if there is anything else that we need to know.
    thanks!

Default Re: SO MANY QUESTIONS!

Bumping this because I'm wondering about some of these as well. This will be my first Coachella and I am coming from the East coast. I am renting a car, though.

1. Cheapest way would be to go to the carpool thread and see if you could share a ride with someone. Either that or rent a car.
    2. I would say it is safe to leave your things in your tent, but to play it safe you could bring a lock for the tent zipper or rent a locker. Lockers sell out fast, so get them quick.
    3. Check out the camping threads and PM some people. I'm sure you can find a ride and someone to camp with.
    4. Get a cooler and fill it up with snacks and drinks. Beer is $5-$6 bucks a piece, food is $6-$10 per meal, water is $2 dollars or you can fill up a bottle for free at stations in the festival.
    5. Same at Coachella. Walking around and meeting people is easy and is encouraged. People are laid back and are down to party.
    06', 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12', 13'

Quote Originally Posted by AgainstFeist View Post
    Beer is $5-$6 bucks a piece
    beer is like 9 bucks and a small is 7

Quote Originally Posted by shortme View Post
    hi

it's my first time going to coachella and i'm coming from asia with 3 other friends.
    we're in our early 20s and early 30s. and have many experiences in other music/rock festivals.

1. what's the best way(cheapest) to get from LA to the festival site? (we don't have a car) and how much would it cost?

2. we're going to be camping. is it safe to leave all of our stuff in the tent? or should we get a locker?

3. i've noticed that there are threads(?) or groups of people that hang out and camp together. Since we're new to this thing, we'd like to join one. any suggestions?

4. is it better to take our own drinks or buy it at the festival? are drinks that expensive in there? (food also)

5. in the other festivals that we've been to, it wasnt weird to walk around and join other campers to talk and drink. is that normal here too?

i know it's a lot of questions but it'd be great if someone could answer them
    thanks!
    1. Cheapest way to get to the fest is find a ride on the carpool thread or with the Ricky Rides app. I have seen multiple posts offering rides from LA.
    2. For the most part your stuff is safe in your tent. Sometimes things do get taken but we have been 2 years and nothing stolen so far:-) In any case the locker is very small and would not help you much. Do you have a camping pass? If so is it a car camping or tent camping? If it is car camping you have to have a vehicle for car camping.
    3. There are multiple posts by people offering to share a campsite. Read some of them and private message the ones that sound interesting. Lots of people adopt others and it is a great way to get to know people.
    4. Bring your drinks in a cooler into camping but they cannot go into the festival. Most people drink a bunch before you go in and you can go back to your campsite whenever you want to or pay the prices they want for Heineken or mixed drinks inside the fest. They actually do have a bunch of options for food so you could manage to eat the festival food the whole time but most people bring food and cook it. If you hook up with some other people they may have the cooking equipment and you can bring food with the group.
    5. Everyone is a friend at Coachella and you can walk a few yards in any direction and find lots of people ready to party:-)

Remember the lockers are inside the festival grounds, not the campgrounds, so you only have access while the festival grounds are open. Anything going into the locker would need to be carried in and pass through security.

Cheapest way: look for a carpool or rideshare. Best way: rent a car.

Leaving your stuff in your tent is fine. If you rent a car, and you're that worried about your valuables, you can lock them in your car when you go to the festival. Or lock them in the persons car you get a carpool ride with. The locker is inside the festival and everything has to be taken in and out through security every day. You do not have access to the locker when the festival is closed. I recommend getting a locker regardless as you can store stuff in there you might need through out the day like a sweatshirt/pants for when it gets cold at night or whatever else you need. Getting a locker will save you the LONG walk back to your campsite and cuts in to valuable music time.

I suggest you start talking to whoever you think you want to camp with but don't get your hopes up. Better to just make friends at the festival since you might find that people might not be as interested in assimilating an out of town stranger from the internet into the group of people they already personally know. Look for others in a similar situation as yours and come together to create something instead of trying to squeeze into an already established group. Or not. Why don't you try talking to whoever you think want to camp with and take it from there.

Water: $2, Beer: $5 (Heineken and Heineken lite). Frozen Lemonade: $4?? (I forget) No mixed drinks available unless you have VIP. You are going to definitely want to get a cooler and do a grocery store run before going to the festival. If you're trying to save a few bucks by getting a "carpool" instead of renting you're own car, you're going to find that the money you saved by not renting a car will be lost by having to constantly pay high prices for bad food and drinks all weekend. You'll save money and be better equipped by renting a car, getting a cooler, and going to the grocery store on the way to the festival and stock up on snacks and drinks. It doesn't have to be anything fancy but you'll find yourself back at your campsite every night hungry and tired and if you don't have anything, your only option is going to pizza until 2AM.

Use your best judgement. Most people probably won't take kindly to you barging into their campsite if they are sitting around hanging out. But if someone is having a party, you have a better chance of making friends. Your neighbors should be the first people you should introduce yourself too. Most everyone is nice and friendly there but not everyone is interested in some stranger just coming into their campsite. Please respect peoples personal space. Don't be a douche and you'll be fine.

It's hot during the day and cold at night. Get the to showers EARLY.
    Last edited by Wheres the beef?; 03-11-2012 at 11:14 PM.